Any way to open the wii disc drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SkiTzo05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SkiTzo05
Member since 2002 • 591 Posts

A few days ago my 2 year old put a piece of cardboard in the wii disc slot and I was wondering if there is any way to open the disc drive itself? I've watched a couple youtube videos on opening the wii case but they don't seem to show access to the drive in a way that would help me. Anyone else have a problem like this? Thanks.

shadowreaper7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 shadowreaper7
Member since 2010 • 1272 Posts

Ok, first of all you'll need a small phillips head (+) screw driver and a triwing,you could alternativly buy a triwing set off ebay or amazon and it should give both.

Follow a walk through to show you how to get to the main parts of the wii. from here you should see the drive and its encasement. There will be 5 triwing screws holding the guard and pins which keep the disc in place on it. Unscrew them and you should be able to put it to one side (just do not snap the tape thing which is a sort of semiconductor paper which transfers the data to the disc holder thing. From here you should easily be able to get the cardboard out.

Reverse all the steps. (Believe me once you've opened it once you never forget.) And that should put it back in working order

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

u risk voiding ur warrenty by doing that. Your honestly better off sending it in.

SkiTzo05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SkiTzo05

Thanks for the advice, I ordered a triwing screwdriver from amazon so I should be able to take it apart this weekend. I've had my wii since 07 so voiding the warranty won't be an issue lol.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Thanks for the advice, I ordered a triwing screwdriver from amazon so I should be able to take it apart this weekend. I've had my wii since 07 so voiding the warranty won't be an issue lol.

SkiTzo05

Nintendo lets you send in your Wii, and repair it for a price. If you open it up then they wont let u do that at all. thats what i meant.

SkiTzo05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SkiTzo05

Ahh I misunderstood. I don't really use the wii much at all anymore so I would rather risk it than pay to have it fixed.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
Yeah all you need is the triwing. I got the Wii at launch and my 2 year old put dimes in mine. I also had to dismantle 3 toilets because he threw the toilet paper holder in there andf flushed it. Its a good age.