3D Mario U - Galaxy 3 or something different?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

optimal_saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 optimal_saint
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I'm sure that NSMBU is going to be excellent. But what I'm really looking forward to is a new 3D Mario that will really show off what the Gamepad can really do and mean for innovative gameplay (which I'm not convinced that NSMBU does) But do you want that 3D Mario to be the 3rd entry in the superb Galaxy series or something that goes in a completely different direction. I'm a bit torn. I absolutely loved Galaxy 1. It was probably the most pure fun I had had playing a game in a long time. Galaxy 2 was also a great great game and was excellent. Excellent in a comfortable, been there done that, more of the same kind of way. (Which I suspect New Mario U will be a bit like), this wasn't Galaxy 2's fault. I only felt that way because I played Galaxy 1 first. Would a Galaxy 3 be the same or would HD graphics and great unique gamepad play be enough to recreate that sense of wonder? Or, would something new be better? What are your thoughts?
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Something different. On a side note, I also want the 2D ones to move toward something different.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Something different. TBH, despite enjoying the games, I didn't really like the Galaxy setting.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Something different. On a side note, I also want the 2D ones to move toward something different.

Bubble_Man
Agreed with both. There's a million and one different things they could do with the series, it's time to move on from grass/fire/ice worlds...
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
GIVE ME MORE GALAXY PLEASE.
optimal_saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 optimal_saint
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Agreed with both. There's a million and one different things they could do with the series, it's time to move on from grass/fire/ice worlds...locopatho
That's one of the things I like best about the series, and one of the reasons that I didnt like Sunshine as much: too much sameness.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

I don't want Galaxy 3. I want an open world Mario again.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I'm sure it will be a showcase for what the system potentially offers.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blabadon

MarioFan264
Why? It's not like the open world is often good for anything.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

I don't mind either way, I just want it to have as much soul and personality as the Galaxy games compared to 3D Land.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Something different. I don't think I'll enjoy a third Galaxy game after the first two. Both Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 were excellent, but it's time to move on to something new and fresh.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
I just don't see how they could possibly top space. What else can they do? I'd love a Sunshine sequel (I know most will disagree with me on that) but I loved the bigger worlds with more stars. I hated how the Galaxy games were just a bunch of small and not really memorable places.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Something different. One Galaxy was enough.
MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

Blabadon

Only in your opinion. Personally I'd prefer to have some 3D Marios that don't just feel like 2D Marios with a slight bit of running room.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

As much as I loved the Galaxy games, I would like the next 3D Mario to focus on much larger environments. I would still like to see "Galaxy-esque" levels, but big worlds that really show off the power of the WiiU would be welcomed.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

If it's gonna be Galaxy 3 it'll have a rehash feel to it, regardless of quality.

So make something new.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

>_>

Something new ofcourse!

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

SMG 3 could possibly be epic as **** with the Wii U's power.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

MarioFan264

Only in your opinion. Personally I'd prefer to have some 3D Marios that don't just feel like 2D Marios with a slight bit of running room.

Outside of my opinion, what are open worlds in Mario games good for though?
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I didn't care for the Galaxy series at all, so I hope they do something else with the next 3D Mario.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Why? It's not like the open world is often good for anything.Blabadon

More areas to explore. They can make much more creative places where goals can be achieved by different methods rather than the linear gameplay SMG always had. Enter galaxy, follow it to end, get star. There was no exploration, no looking for what you needed. Yeah, some of the levels were good, but most of them were ultimately forgettable.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I want them to do something new and different with the 3D Mario built for the Wii U, like how Sunshine differed from 64, Galaxy from Sunshine That said, I would LOVE an HD Combo Pack with both Galaxy games running in full 1080p. I'd buy both games again for that! Also SMG2 had one level from SM64 remade in it, so for the Wii U Mario I'd hope to see a level from Sunshine remade
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

Super Mario Universe or something like that. With mario as the main character but you can unlock more like yoshi, waluigi, wario, peach, luigi. etc (similar to mario 64 ds)

or mario galaxy 3 but have it different (story wise).

ex.

bowsers kid return and have sent satelites all over the different galaxies,

mario has to disable all the satelites (7 satelites for the 7 koopa's)

there's a level where mario has to ride a bullet bill or something

Mario 64 U (remade graphics and with co-op and some add-ed levels)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nameless12345

Super Mario Universe or something like that. With mario as the main character but you can unlock more like yoshi, waluigi, wario, peach, luigi. etc (similar to mario 64 ds)

or mario galaxy 3 but have it different (story wise).

ex.

bowsers kid return and have sent satelites all over the different galaxies,

mario has to disable all the satelites (7 satelites for the 7 koopa's)

there's a level where mario has to ride a bullet bill or something

Mario 64 U (remade graphics and with co-op and some add-ed levels)

ssj_neo

I'm almost sure SM64 won't be remade again.

SM Universe does sound plausible.

Kinda like a bigger, more open-ended SMG with possible co-op play (one player infront of the gamepad screen and the second infront of the TV screen) and online connectivity ("alternate universes").

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="MarioFan264"]

Toxic-Seahorse

More areas to explore. They can make much more creative places where goals can be achieved by different methods rather than the linear gameplay SMG always had. Enter galaxy, follow it to end, get star. There was no exploration, no looking for what you needed. Yeah, some of the levels were good, but most of them were ultimately forgettable.

I see what you mean, but this takes me to comparisons I have between SM64, SMS, SMG, and SMG2. The first three had a lot more levels that were more open as compared to SMG2 which had a lot more linear levels. If you ask me, the game benefited from it because it could focus on the platforming more. It was something SMG2 did that fixed something that was never an issue - that's why I love it so. I thought the Green Stars actually did wonders for making levels more explorable overall, but I'll continue since that's a different conversation. As for the idea of more than one way to get a star, it would be a strange addition in my opinion but could be pulled off right by the geniuses at Nintendo. The whole open world thing I was talking about earlier was referring to Peach's Castle, Isle Delfino, Rosalina's ship, etc. Those open worlds, fun as they are, didn't actually add much to the game. If they could cut down the time in between levels and still bring them back I think it would be cool then.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nameless12345

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="Blabadon"] Outside of my opinion, what are open worlds in Mario games good for though?Blabadon

I see what you mean, but this takes me to comparisons I have between SM64, SMS, SMG, and SMG2. The first three had a lot more levels that were more open as compared to SMG2 which had a lot more linear levels. If you ask me, the game benefited from it because it could focus on the platforming more. It was something SMG2 did that fixed something that was never an issue - that's why I love it so. I thought the Green Stars actually did wonders for making levels more explorable overall, but I'll continue since that's a different conversation. As for the idea of more than one way to get a star, it would be a strange addition in my opinion but could be pulled off right by the geniuses at Nintendo. The whole open world thing I was talking about earlier was referring to Peach's Castle, Isle Delfino, Rosalina's ship, etc. Those open worlds, fun as they are, didn't actually add much to the game. If they could cut down the time in between levels and still bring them back I think it would be cool then.

I think the very concept behind the word "Galaxy" is vastness and openess.

You know, it's taking place in space after all...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I think this is going to be very tricky for the Mario development team. The Galaxy scenario literally allowed the developers to do whatever they wanted. They had no limits to what they could put in the game. Case and point, Galaxy 2 was exponentially more creative and mind blowing than the first. It almost feels like any other scenario would be a downgrade at this point.

Personally, I think they need to up the level designs in 3D mario games. The thing the 2d iterations always do better are secrets that are well hidden and actually feel rewarding. Finding a secret exit and all the star coins in a New Super Mario Bros. game is more rewarding than anything put in a Galaxy game. They need to impliment this into the 3d games.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] More areas to explore. They can make much more creative places where goals can be achieved by different methods rather than the linear gameplay SMG always had. Enter galaxy, follow it to end, get star. There was no exploration, no looking for what you needed. Yeah, some of the levels were good, but most of them were ultimately forgettable.

nameless12345

I think the very concept behind the word "Galaxy" is vastness and openess.

You know, it's taking place in space after all...

The word's concept means next to nothing in this case and to think it as so is overthinking. Galaxies are the name for the worlds and each set of things to climb on is a planet. Fair and simple.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blabadon
Personally, I think they need to up the level designs in 3D mario games. The thing the 2d iterations always do better are secrets that are well hidden and actually feel rewarding. Finding a secret exit and all the star coins in a New Super Mario Bros. game is more rewarding than anything put in a Galaxy game. They need to impliment this into the 3d games.Pikminmaniac
Green Stars are pretty good in that department though.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
No, I'm tired of Galaxy, I want the open, sandbox style levels of Sunshine and 64 back.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine 2 please.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

MarioFan264

Same here.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I have pretty high expectations for my 3D Marios. I mean, the New Super Mario Bros can afford to be sort of "meat and potatoes" gaming comfort food but ... Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, Mario Galaxy 2 were all fresh and memorable gaming experiences. So, if Nintendo can make another Galaxy that still feels unique and interesting, then sure.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
As far as something different -- I'd kind of like to have a game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom, again. I mean we had a game in Peaches Castle, a game in Delfino, and then ... space. I'd like a game where you get to see Mario's house, visit Yoshi Island, Toad Town, Bowser's Actual Castle (where he lives, not inside the paintings, inside the volcano). Then they'd need to combine a juicy, nostalgic setting with something fresh and innovative.
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

No more Galaxy as good as they were its time for something new.

They were literally perfect games though but we still need something fresh that can showcase what Wii U can do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

MarioFan264

Again? When was there ever an open world Mario game?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#37 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'd rather see a different Mario game. Sure, I love the Galaxy series, but after two games concentrated in that area, I think it's time to move on.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Something different, galaxy's theme ran its course and MG2 didnt have that new feeling like the first did so a 3rd time would just be super redundant. I think its time mario travels to different dimensions, or different times, id like to see it return to big levels you explore like SM64. Larger levels you become more familiar with are always much more memorable for me than straightforward linear stages.

superfakerbros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superfakerbros
Member since 2009 • 141 Posts

Nintendo always does a unique and different 3D Mario for each of their home consoles so I'm betting money that it'll be something different. As for the NSMB series, I'd hope that the one on the next Nintendo home console and/or handheld will be actually unique instead of being rather uncreative.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Personally I'd prefer to have some 3D Marios that don't just feel like 2D Marios with a slight bit of running room.

MarioFan264

3D Land is the only one that fits that description, so you have quite a few 3D Mario games.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

As far as something different -- I'd kind of like to have a game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom, again. I mean we had a game in Peaches Castle, a game in Delfino, and then ... space. I'd like a game where you get to see Mario's house, visit Yoshi Island, Toad Town, Bowser's Actual Castle (where he lives, not inside the paintings, inside the volcano). Then they'd need to combine a juicy, nostalgic setting with something fresh and innovative. Meinhard1

I'd love that as well. I'd like to have art and music that are a bit influenced by Mario RPG too.