30 hours into Skyward Sword and it still presents new and fresh ideas

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 0

#1 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I've got to hand it to Nintendo, when they release a 40 to 60 hour long game they literally keep it as fresh as it can be.  I am constantly blown away by the creativity in Skyward Sword and the rush that combat provides after you get over the learning curve (and there is a steeper learning curve than other Zelda titles with the controls).  But the Ancient Cistern and the fight against Koloktos was just insane, only to be followed up with the Lanayru Sand Sea, where I bring only a small section of the world to the past and move it with me.  I'm excited to see what the next dungeon is in the Lanayru Sand Sea.

And the level design feels like a playground in this game and I mean that in a good way.  Just a sense of exploration and wonder around every corner.  Just wonderful stuff all throughout the game.  Nintendo (almost) always nail it with their premier titles.  The Galaxy games did it at an even more rapid pace, though those have the virtue of having various challenges throughout the experience so each bit is constantly new and fresh.

I may sound like Skyward Sword is my first Zelda with the way I'm talking, but I've beaten all the 3D titles, so really, I'm just taking time to gush about an excellent title.

For the sake of conversation I put a poll up about the dungeon design.  I'm going with Twilight Princess as having the best dungeon design which is why I view it as my favorite.  The game's dungeons are full of surprises that just caught me off guard at every turn.  Wonderfully designed title.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Since you're on the subject on Skyward Sword, 

it had a mix of standard and fantastic dungeons.

Sky View and Earth Temple were standard dungeons, but that's ok. Happens all the time. Unfortunately for big Zelda veterans like me, I had pretty well seen it all before up to that point, so some of that charm has been lost, but they are appropriate to have being the early dungeons in this game.

Lanaryu Mining Facility and Ancient Cistern were great dungeons. I absolutely loved the timeshift stones and the Luigi's Mansion Poltergeist to rid the sand of, and using a whip to turn a dungeon practically inside out.

The Fire Sanctuary I didn't care for because it felt like an extension of the Earth Temple and those Mogma Mitts weren't interesting to me. It's not a bad dungeon, but it felt flat after playing the previous 3 dungeons (Mining Facility, Ancient Cistern and Sandship).

The 2 dugneons that REALLY stood out to me were the Sanship and Skyview. Sandship was phenomenal and Sky Keep just might be literally the smartest planned out designed dungeon ever made in the history of Zelda, and that's something I don't say lightly. It's up there, definitely up there Doesn't necessarily mean it's the "favorite of all Zelda dungeons ever" but most tricky to create and make work.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Actuallly, while SS is ranked around the middle of my favorite Zelda's, it had some of the greatest dungeons in the Zelda franchise. For example,

[spoiler]

that one towards the end is amazing (where the rooms themselves are part of a big puzzle.), and is probably my favorite dungeon of all Zeldas. 

[/spoiler]

edit: Just realised you're only 30 hours in, so I'll stick this in a spoiler.  

So yeah, definitely voted Skyward Sword in the poll. Kinda weird how it's not my favorite Zelda still though. There's something about both MM and WW that make them hard to top :)

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
So you just finished the tutorial? :P
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Three of Majora's Mask's dungeons are incredible. The first one is basically a beginner dungeon, so it's just okay, but the rest are amazing. The Stone Tower is the most impressive dungeon in any of the games, I think.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
You're pretty much in the stance and I am. I really loved the refreshing mechanics on SS and the game was great, even despite the slow start and excessive tutorials. Some dungeons are especially awesome and the amount of ideas there and how they complement each other works excellent. It is a hard call but TP is also my favorite. I just would like a remake using SS controls...
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
Being able to get past the first 5-10 hours of babysitting and hand holding reveals a wonderfully presented game. People need an attention span in order to appreciate this game. I'm in the last dungeon and I'm so curious to see how this entire story plays out.

When I first got this during Xmas of 2011 (was it?) I was ready to put it down because the beginning was so damned slow and tedious but people kept telling me to wait it out and be patient.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It was overall a good game but there were a lot of flaws, for all the good it did.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I got bored around 40 hours and never finished it. That's not bad though considering I rarely get 40 hours out of a game these days.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#10 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I feel that, overall, Skyward Sword has the best dungeons of all the 3D games.

Majora's sample is just too small, even if Stone Temple Tower is the best Zelda dungeon ever. Meanwhile, Ocarina's first three dungeons are not that good, Wind Waker has a below average dungeon design - even if the game is stellar on every other aspect, and Twilight Princess' final two dungeons are disappointing.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
You're in for a treat; Lanyaru's sand sea dungeon is awesomee :D
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Skyward Sword is my favorite out of the 3D Zelda games. Many people were turned off by its flaws and I completely understood that, but one can't deny Skyward Sword's brilliant dungeons, puzzles, and controls. You can clearly see where most of the development time went to. I thought it would have been hard to beat TP's dungeons and (easy, but epic) boss battles, but SS proved how creative they can become. Koloktos is the best boss in the entire franchise. Ancient Cistern, Sandship, and Skykeep are the best dungeons.

I also absolutely love how cinematic the cutscenes were. The story was great as well and I actually started to bond with Fi at the end of the game (she's no Midna, but the ending really made me love her).

Skyward Sword is not a perfect game and I was disappointed by the lack of a truly connected world with a day/night cycle, but I enjoyed it more than the previous games and I do appreciate the new, creative ideas present in the game.

Can't wait for the Wii U Zelda.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

The slew of ideas were impressive but some of them......ugh. Musical fish quest for example.

Three of Majora's Mask's dungeons are incredible. The first one is basically a beginner dungeon, so it's just okay, but the rest are amazing. The Stone Tower is the most impressive dungeon in any of the games, I think.

JordanElek

You actually like the great bay temple? It's almost as bad as OoT's water temple. (further convinces me that there is no such thing as a good water level in videogames....ever)

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JordanElek

The slew of ideas were impressive but some of them......ugh. Musical fish quest for example.

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

thetravman

You actually like the great bay temple? It's almost as bad as OoT's water temple. (further convinces me that there is no such thing as a good water level in videogames....ever)

The only thing I don't like about it is trying to go in the right tunnel in the swirling middle section. Other than that, it takes the idea of changing the water level from OoT and makes it even better. Being able to swim as a Zora takes away almost all of the frustration from being in water in OoT.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

JordanElek

The only thing I don't like about it is trying to go in the right tunnel in the swirling middle section. Other than that, it takes the idea of changing the water level from OoT and makes it even better. Being able to swim as a Zora takes away almost all of the frustration from being in water in OoT.

I don't like the Great Bay Temple's utter lack of focus or direction. The level design is awful because the developers didn't include any hints or leads at all. It's like wandering through a corn maze.
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
The dungeons in Skyward Sword are fantastic. It's the stuff in-between that really bogs the game down. Still a great game however.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JordanElek
I don't like the Great Bay Temple's utter lack of focus or direction. The level design is awful because the developers didn't include any hints or leads at all. It's like wandering through a corn maze. meetroid8
I've never gotten that sense. It's been too long to remember specifics, but I don't remember not knowing what to do. I DO remember trying to figure out how to get to where I needed to be because I accidentally went down the wrong pipe and got all turned around, though.
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

I've got to hand it to Nintendo, when they release a 40 to 60 hour long game they literally keep it as fresh as it can be.  I am constantly blown away by the creativity in Skyward Sword and the rush that combat provides after you get over the learning curve (and there is a steeper learning curve than other Zelda titles with the controls).  But the Ancient Cistern and the fight against Koloktos was just insane, only to be followed up with the Lanayru Sand Sea, where I bring only a small section of the world to the past and move it with me.  I'm excited to see what the next dungeon is in the Lanayru Sand Sea.

And the level design feels like a playground in this game and I mean that in a good way.  Just a sense of exploration and wonder around every corner.  Just wonderful stuff all throughout the game.  Nintendo (almost) always nail it with their premier titles.  The Galaxy games did it at an even more rapid pace, though those have the virtue of having various challenges throughout the experience so each bit is constantly new and fresh.

I may sound like Skyward Sword is my first Zelda with the way I'm talking, but I've beaten all the 3D titles, so really, I'm just taking time to gush about an excellent title.

For the sake of conversation I put a poll up about the dungeon design.  I'm going with Twilight Princess as having the best dungeon design which is why I view it as my favorite.  The game's dungeons are full of surprises that just caught me off guard at every turn.  Wonderfully designed title.

NeonNinja
Man I am so jealous of you right now. Now I want to play Skyward Sword even more. I tried popping it in a week ago only to find out you need that stupid wii motion plus thing :(. Man.... I just wanna play it lol. Gonna have to go search for one
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I don't like the Great Bay Temple's utter lack of focus or direction. The level design is awful because the developers didn't include any hints or leads at all. It's like wandering through a corn maze. meetroid8

Really? Granted, I did bring out the map a couple times when I first played that place, I never got the feeling that I was truly lost inside that dungeon. It had some twist and turns but it was just as straightfoward as any other Zelda dungeon as far as I recall....

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tocool340
So you just finished the tutorial? :PTxTech1923
Ha ha ha.....funny yet accurate about my play through of the game. Not so much as that damn Fi holding my hand through most of the game, but mostly due to that steep learning curve where I finally was able to effectively play the game...
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"] I don't like the Great Bay Temple's utter lack of focus or direction. The level design is awful because the developers didn't include any hints or leads at all. It's like wandering through a corn maze. tocool340

Really? Granted, I did bring out the map a couple times when I first played that place, I never got the feeling that I was truly lost inside that dungeon. It had some twist and turns but it was just as straightfoward as any other Zelda dungeon as far as I recall....

Well, I was like 12 when I last played it, but I distinctly remember having no idea what to do and having to pull out the guide just to get started. The large majority of the Temple is open to you right from the beginning, and it's not clear where you're supposed to go. I've never had that problem with any other dungeon.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tocool340

[QUOTE="tocool340"]

[QUOTE="meetroid8"] I don't like the Great Bay Temple's utter lack of focus or direction. The level design is awful because the developers didn't include any hints or leads at all. It's like wandering through a corn maze. meetroid8

Well, I was like 12 when I last played it, but I distinctly remember having no idea what to do and having to pull out the guide just to get started. The large majority of the Temple is open to you right from the beginning, and it's not clear where you're supposed to go. I've never had that problem with any other dungeon.

Yeah, think I was 12 when I first played it back in 2001. I hardly remember the dungeon considering its been near 8 years since I last played it. I remember the main room and a few other rooms, but not the dungeons complete layout....

Anyway, I think I approach this temple like I approached every other temple in a 3D Zelda game, observe everything from the top and work my way to the bottom of the temple. If anything, Great Bay temple uses a concept similar to Link to the Past's second temple where you aren't given any particular directions so you need to explore every room, keeping track of all the doors that were locked along the way and a concept from OoT's Water temple, where you have to manage the flow of the temples water. Seemed like a conventional Zelda dungeon to me, only I really needed to pay attention to the map more often than usual...

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8

[QUOTE="meetroid8"][QUOTE="tocool340"]

tocool340

Yeah, think I was 12 when I first played it back in 2001. I hardly remember the dungeon considering its been near 8 years since I last played it. I remember the main room and a few other rooms, but not the dungeons complete layout....

Anyway, I think I approach this temple like I approached every other temple in a 3D Zelda game, observe everything from the top and work my way to the bottom of the temple. If anything, Great Bay temple uses a concept similar to Link to the Past's second temple where you aren't given any particular directions so you need to explore every room, keeping track of all the doors that were locked along the way and a concept from OoT's Water temple, where you have to manage the flow of the temples water. Seemed like a conventional Zelda dungeon to me, only I really needed to pay attention to the map more often than usual...

I guess I'd have to play it again to really see if it was my own fault, but I just never found where I was supposed to start. I wandered all over the dungeon, staring at doors I couldn't unlock and puzzles I couldn't solve with my current items. It was really frustrating.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

You're pretty much in the stance and I am. I really loved the refreshing mechanics on SS and the game was great, even despite the slow start and excessive tutorials. Some dungeons are especially awesome and the amount of ideas there and how they complement each other works excellent. It is a hard call but TP is also my favorite. I just would like a remake using SS controls...enrique_marrodz

Now that you mention it, I would way rather have an HD Twilight Princess with Skyward Sword's controls than Wind Waker HD. 

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#25 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

The dungeons in Skyward Sword are fantastic. It's the stuff in-between that really bogs the game down. Still a great game however.bobcheeseball

I actually enjoyed the emphasis on the stuff inbetween.  The level layout was more complex than before, sort of building up to the dungeon.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#26 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I adore the Great Bay Temple.

I think it is absolutely brilliant!