2009 GS Wii Forum Game Awards! Results!

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts

Thank you!!!

to everyone who participated in any way, shape, or form. None of this would have been possible without you guys! Hopefully you all think that everything went Ok. It's been a blast!

Now what are you waiting for. Go check out the winners!

And thanks again for the sticky Gabu. You can take it down when ever you feel like it.

Welcome to the 2009 Gamespot Wii Forum Game Awards!

Its that time of the year again when the gaming industry takes a look back at the previous 12 months and picks the best of the best, the tippy top of the tippy top, and separates the greats from anything made by Data Design Interactive.

Now we could just sit back like we do every year and watch the staff members of our favorite gaming sites pick which games are going to receive the game of the year awards. Or, we could rise up, take the power back, and choose, as a community of gamers, which games are going to get the highest of praises. Personally, I say its time to get voting.

How it Works

Now remember, this is the Wii Forum, so this is only for Wii games.

• Below, I'm going to post some categories (Best Sports Game, Best RPG, Best Overall Wii game, etc) with games already in them just to get us all started.
  • If you don't agree with something SPEAK UP. Don't think Game A should be in the category its in, say something. If you think that a game that isn't in the list should be in there, say something. Think we need a whole new category, say something, just remember to put some games in there (at least 3) and I'll add it to the list. If enough people don't like what I've done, I'll change it. This is the Wii Forum Community's Awards, not mine. I'll change things according to the community's wishes.
  • After we get some of the categories straitened out so that we can all agree on them, I'll begin using the most scientific means available to determine a winner: a Poll. Just a simple poll with the category name followed by the choices in no particular order. But this means that a category can have no more than 5 choices! Remember that when thinking about which games should go into which categories!
  • After a certain amount of time, 2 days for genre awards and 4 for the Overall awards, I'll close the poll and the winner will be which ever game has the most votes. Results will then be posted including the number of votes for all games. In the event of a tie we will have a runoff vote for 1 day to determine a winner.

And that's it! A simple, yet elegant way of having our very own awards for our beloved little Nintendo system.

FAQ

Why are you doing this Arc2012? Aren't there already award shows and such out there?

Of course there are and they do a fine job of picking some great games. But a recent thread about the SpikeTV VGA awards got me a-thinkin'. This year the Wii is going to get overlooked by just about everyone. There were some great games out there on the other systems and they deserve much of the praise they're going to recieve. But that doesn't mean that the Wii had nothing going for it this year. This thread is to, in some small way, show some recognition for the great games out there on the Wii.

Haziqonfire already has a thread about 2009 Wii games with reviews and everything in the Stickies. Why should we have another thread about 2009 games?

Haziq's thread is fantastic and he has been doing a great job with it. But this thread is about you and how you feel about the games of the past year rather than just showing every big game that has come out and its review score.

What are you trying to pull here?

Really, I'm hoping that this thread gets a lot of people to take another look at some great games that they might have missed. Hey, it might even just give you a few ideas of what to ask for for whatever religious holiday you celebrate in the next few months. But its also more than just a glorified recommendation thread. Its about the Wii forum community giving props to their favorite Wii games.

Why did you choose Game X/Category X?

Let me start by saying that nothing in the list below is concrete just yet. It is all subject to change because of your imput. With that in mind, know that I tryed to choose games that were Wii exclusives or had a unique Wii experience over their counterparts on another system (hence, why the highly rated Tiger Woods 10 game is in the Best Overall Game category). I only chose categories in which I could find 5 nominees (but I think we need a minimum of only 3). For example, I could have included "Best Racing Game" but I could really only find 2 nominees for it. Don't let any of this stop you though, if you can find more racing games, or more games of any other category that I don't have up there, post it and I'll probably add it to the list.

>>>Where is Crystal Bearers?!?

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: the Crystal Bearers has a release date of 12/26/09 in NA. So, we have some problems. 1. I hope that most of the voting will be done by then. 2. Although some people are trying to nominate it, they are trying to put it in different category. Action, RPG, Adventure? This is really only a part of the fact that No One Has Played It Yet. Is it really fair to nominate a game for any category judging only from screenshots and videos? I think not. Sorry, guys, but until someone has a really really good reason otherwise, this is one area where I won't budge.

Its my hope that a lot of people participate in this thread, not just in the voting, but in the creation of categories and the placing of games. Also, I think that it will be a bit of fun and pretty interesting.

And now... the nominees are...

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Arc2012

And the Winner is...

*Best Music Game...

The Beatles: Rock Band

Whatyou've said about this winner:

FFCYAN: "Although you must like the Beatles to some degree, I find it more accessible for everyone to play due to it's strong range of syt-le despite all songs coming from one band [...] With downloadable content, cool Beatles sound bites during load times as well as unlockable video content, I've enjoyed Beatles RockBand more than any other 'guitar/band' game."

wiifan001: "This is 45 tracks from an incredibly awesome band in a span from I think it was 1964-1970 if I recall...something like that. The animation implemented in the background of many various songs that really caputred the soul of the band and the songs, and following their timeline chronologically. Also the innovative harmony in the vocals. Yeah, Beatles Rock Band."

The Breakdown:

The Beatles: Rock Band.......43% [13]
Guitar Hero 5 .....................23% [7]
Guitar Hero: Metallica ..........17% [5]
Bit. Trip Beat. .....................10% [3]
DJ Hero ..............................7% [2]
.........................................Total Votes: 30

*Best Action Game...

Madworld

-The Breakdown:

Madworld ......................................41% [14]
Muramasa: The Demon Blade ......32% [11]
Deadly Creatures ............................18% [6]
Ghostbusters: The Video Game.......6% [2]
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins ............3% [1]
.................................................Total Votes: 34

*Best Racing Game...

Excitebots: Trick Racing

What you've said about this winner:

Akel777: "...It totally blew me away with its approach and had me addicted to the adrenaline rush for a week. Cruising at insane speeds, slipping barely past trees, practically flying over the sky, scrambling for the next boost/minigame, relying completely on skill/knowledge of terrain as opposed to random items. It's the craziest racing game I've ever played."

TheSmitto: "Excitebots is fantastic, and easily one of the most underrated games of the year."

-The Breakdown:

Excitebots: Trick Racing ...84% [21]
Need for Speed Nitro .......12% [3]
F1 2009 ...........................4% [1]
Moto GP 08 .........................0% [0]
My Sims Racing ..................0% [0]
.......................................Total Votes: 25

*Best Traditional Sports Game

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

wiifan001: "Not only would I put PGA Golf Tour 10 on Wii as the best traditional sports game of 2009, but also the 2009 Wii Game of the Year."

-The Breakdown

Tigger Woods PGA Tour 10 ....63% [17]
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 ...19% [5]
Madden NFL 2010 ..............7% [2]
Grand Slam Tennis .............7% [2]
NHL 2K10 .......................4% [1]
.............................Total Votes: 27

*Best Shooter

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex

darth-pyschosis: "none of the shooter candidates offer as much depth as MWR. 8-10 hour single player, replayable difficulties, arcade mode (so it is on rails too!). Endless Online multiplayer with loads of modes and dozens of maps. Perks, and deep online along with a great single player experience, it can't be beat."

-The Breakdown

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex ...43% [12]
The Conduit .............................21% [6]
Dead Space: Extraction ................18% [5]
The House of the Dead: Overkill .......14% [4]
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles .....4% [1]
.......................................Total Votes: 28

*Best Non- Traditional Sports Game

Wii Sports Resort

-The Breakdown

Wii Sports Resort .......................56% [14]
Punch-Out!!! ..............................32% [8]
Wii Fit Plus .............................4% [1]
Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage ...4% [1]
Tony Hawk: Ride ..........................4% [1]
.........................................Total Votes: 25

*Best Adventure/Platformer

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

-The Breakdown

New Super Mario Bros. Wii ...........92% [24]
LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias...4% [1]
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirirts.............0% [0]
Rabbids Go Home ........................0% [0]
A Boy and His Blob.....................4% [1]
....................................Total Votes: 26

*Best Strategy/RPG

Little King's Story

NeedMyDigitalDs: "Little King's Story. As soon as I started it I couldn't put it down for the rest of the day, evening and night. awesome game. one of the best on the Wii!"
locopatho: "Little King's Story, the perfect mix of innocent graphics and dark humour, and the perfect gameplay mix of action and strategy. Plus a cow knight :P"

-The Breakdown

Little King's Story .................................76% [19]
FF IV: the After Years .............................12% [3]
Rune Factory Frontier ...............................8% [2]
FFCC: My Life as a Dark Lord .....................4% [1]
(Dawn of Discovery) Anno: Create a New World ...0% [0]
....................................................Total Votes: 25

*Best Multiplayer Experience

-The Breakdown

New Super Mario Bros Wii ................53% [9]
Wii Sports Resort ........................35% [6]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex ....12% [2]
The Conduit .............................0% [0]
TMNT: Smash Up ..........................0% [0]
.........................................Total Votes: 17

*Best Horror Game

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

-The Breakdown

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories ...71% [5]
Dead Space Extraction ...............29% [2]
JU-ON: The Grudge .....................0% [0]
Cursed Mountain .....................0% [0]
Lit ...............................0% [0]
......................................Total Votes: An Entire 7!

*Most Anticipated Game of 2010

Super Mario Galaxy 2

moltenix: "I'm actually excited for all those titles but i've gotta go with Super Mario Galaxy 2 simply because the first one was so amazing and I expect the sequel to be just as good (if not better)."
Pierst179: "Super Mario Galaxy 2. ... We all know how Super Mario Galaxy is going to play, yet we are looking forward to it. I think that says a lot about how awesome it is going to be for building up on a very solid base set by the original."

-The Breakdown

Super Mario Galaxy 2 .....................29% [10]
Metroid: Other M .........................26% [9]
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle ...21% [7]
Red Steel2.............................................12% [4]
Monster Hunter Tri ........................12% [4]
...........................................Total Votes: 34

*Best Overall VC Game

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

-The Breakdown

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ...88% [23]
Orge Battle ..........................8% [2]
Super Return of the Jedi .............4% [1]
Zombies Ate My Neighbors .............0% [0]
M.U.S.H.A. ...........................0% [0]
......................................Total Votes: 26

*Best Overall Wiiware Game

LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias

Pierst179: "LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias is the best game on the WiiWare service!"
TheSmitto: "This is tough, the wiiware service really began to shine this year, and all of those titles are great (although I haven't played all of them.) I voted for Lostwinds 2, however, for its great utilization of the pointer and beautiful graphics."

-The Breakdown

LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias ...40% [8]
Bit. Trip Beat. .........................20% [4]
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits ............20% [4]
Swords and Soldiers .....................15% [3]
Excite Bike: World Rally ..............5% [1]
........................................Total Votes: 20

*Best Overall Nintendo Game

-The Breakdown

New Super Mario Bros. Wii ...63% [12]
Wii Sports Resort .............21% [4]
Punch-Out!!! ....................11% [2]
Excitebots: Trick Racing ....5% [1]
Wii Fit Plus ......................0% [0]
................................Total Votes: 19

*Best Overall Third Party Game

Little King's Story

-The Breakdown

Little King's Story ......................47% [7]
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 .................20% [3]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex ...13% [2]
Madworld ...................................13% [2]
Boom Blox Bash Party .....................7% [1]
..............................................Total Votes: 15

*Best Wii Game of the Year

-The Breakdown

New Super Mario Bros. Wii ...........52% [12]
Little King's Story ...................22% [5]
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories ...13% [3]
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 ............9% [2]
Wii Sports Resort ......................4% [1]
......................................Total Votes: 23

Thanks for voting!!!

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

I like the idea.

I think wii fit plus should be under nintendo instead of excite bike. And i also don't think lost winds should be under best overall game.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
A fun, new, and original thread! I don't like it. :x Kidding. :P
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arc2012

I like the idea.

I think wii fit plus should be under nintendo instead of excite bike. And i also don't think lost winds should be under best overall game.

alexh_99
I think you're right about Wii Fit Plus. I had completely forgotten about it :P. As long as a lot of people don't disagree, I'm going to change it. Best Overall Wii Game is going to be the hardest to get consensus on, I know that already. What do you suggest to replace LostWinds? Also, I'm going to add a section in the little FAQ I have to answer why I choose the games I did, but don't let that stop anyone from making suggestions!
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Arc2012, I would suggest contacting the mods if you haven't already and see what they think of it. Who knows? Maybe it will be a sticky thread.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arc2012
Arc2012, I would suggest contacting the mods if you haven't already and see what they think of it. Who knows? Maybe it will be a sticky thread.wiifan001
Done and Done. Thanks for the suggestion! Any input game/category wise?
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Well since you asked for feedback; Platformers, adventures, rpg's, and strategy games should all have their own categories. Muramasa should be in the action category and Silent Hill SH should be in the adventure category. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles should be in the RPG category. I would suggest Nyx Quest to be in best WiiWare game over Onslaught. For now Dead Space Extraction should replace something in the best overall third party game category and I would put Silent Hill and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in there as well. No Punch Out in Overall Wii Game of the Year. Perhaps consider having more than 5 nominees in order to fit in some of these suggestions. ;)
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

I would like a virtual console GOTY and I would like Ogre Battle to be the first and only entrant.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Star Wars : Return of the Jedi can come too.

And M.U.S.H.A. and Majora's Mask can round out the rest.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Arc2012

Well since you asked for feedback; Platformers, adventures, rpg's, and strategy games should all have their own categories. Muramasa should be in the action category and Silent Hill SH should be in the adventure category. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles should be in the RPG category. I would suggest Nyx Quest to be in best WiiWare game over Onslaught. For now Dead Space Extraction should replace something in the best overall third party game category and I would put Silent Hill and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in there as well. No Punch Out in Overall Wii Game of the Year. Perhaps consider having more than 5 nominees in order to fit in some of these suggestions. ;)meetroid8

Yeah, the real problem is that GS Polls only allow for 5 choices so I've had to limit all categories to that. Unfortunate, but I think we can deal with it.

FFCC: Crystal Bears is what you're talking about, I think, but neither that, nor Silent Hill is out yet. I'm betting that FFCC:CB gets pushed back into next year since it has such a late release date so I'm not going to put it in any category. I only have Silent Hill up there because it should be out in time for some people to play it and have an opinion on the game before I hold the vote on it.

I'm thinking that perhaps you are right about switching Silent Hill and Muramasa. But I'm still not convinced about dividing up the categories. If enough people agree though I will. Also, I'll go check out Nyx Quest. I've never heard of it. Thanks for the feedback!

Chargeagles1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Chargeagles1
Member since 2006 • 1711 Posts

Add Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 to the best wii sports game.:)

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
Were is Metroid Prime trilogy? I know isn't necisarily new but it was still one of the best pieces of software this year.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
You know when you do this kind of thing, you have to be concious of your grouping or it doesn't make sense. For example how can Punch Out be in the overall GOTY bracket but not in one of the lesser brackets. The way it works is if say Uncharted 2 wins GOTY, it would have been in and won the Action GOTY bracket. Also I would change the grouping, a platforming games like NSMB could go in the "Action Adventure" category but a game like Muramasa is an "Action" game. Its not a bad idea, but you have to work on the grouping and then you can pick the right games for each.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arc2012

Add Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 to the best wii sports game.:)

Chargeagles1

Done. I decided to replace Wii Sports Resort and add in PES 2009. So that makes the category more traditional sports games.

Were is Metroid Prime trilogy? I know isn't necisarily new but it was still one of the best pieces of software this year.starmetroid

I knew this would come up. I was thinking about adding in a "Best Bang for Your Buck" category, but we all know that MP Trilogy would win anyway.

Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Arc2012
You know when you do this kind of thing, you have to be concious of your grouping or it doesn't make sense. For example how can Punch Out be in the overall GOTY bracket but not in one of the lesser brackets. The way it works is if say Uncharted 2 wins GOTY, it would have been in and won the Action GOTY bracket. Also I would change the grouping, a platforming games like NSMB could go in the "Action Adventure" category but a game like Muramasa is an "Action" game. Its not a bad idea, but you have to work on the grouping and then you can pick the right games for each. Sepewrath
I had two problems with Punch-Out!!. 1. What kind of game is this? I'm thinking action, and if others agree I'll use it to replace Ghostbusters (since i'm not too sure it should even be up there) But some people have said that it's almost like a Puzzle game (a category I don't have yet). So I don't know. 2. The game is pretty much loved by everyone that has it, but does that make it GOTY material? You guys tell me. Also, these aren't really brackets. A game doesn't have to "survive" the lesser rounds to make it into the better ones. In fact, none of the categories are really any lesser than any of the others. They are only divided by type to make it easier for all of us to understand, so that if we are into one type of game we know what other Wii gamers consider to be the best in that area. I moved Muramasa into the Action category. You're not the first to say something about the Adventure/Platforming category, so this might need some work. Anyone care to help me out there?
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

Way way to many catorgries. But keepWii Sport Resort on the list its great

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

NyxQuest over Onslaught for best Wiiware game.

I say it's a good idea. You'll want to make sure that you get help with organizing everything though.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Arc2012, I would suggest contacting the mods if you haven't already and see what they think of it. Who knows? Maybe it will be a sticky thread.wiifan001

I give this thread my official seal of approval.

Goomba_Lord37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Goomba_Lord37
Member since 2008 • 5381 Posts

I like the nominations. :)

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
I thought this was going to be a forum poster award thread. But I am all in favor of this one too:wink:
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Great idea. And the results will help make the recommendation thread more accurate. :)

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I'll participate. This year I was more on the Wiiware/VC side but I'lldo my best for the other nominees. Right now for the 1st party games, I'll go with Metroid Prime Trilogy and New Super Mario Bros (I'll get it very soon) as GOTY. As for the 3rd party, Little King's Story is probably be the GOTY for me if I have it.

You should add the most underrated or overlooked games nominations like Excitebots, Klonoa, Little King Story, ...

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

[QUOTE="meetroid8"]Well since you asked for feedback; Platformers, adventures, rpg's, and strategy games should all have their own categories. Muramasa should be in the action category and Silent Hill SH should be in the adventure category. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles should be in the RPG category. I would suggest Nyx Quest to be in best WiiWare game over Onslaught. For now Dead Space Extraction should replace something in the best overall third party game category and I would put Silent Hill and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in there as well. No Punch Out in Overall Wii Game of the Year. Perhaps consider having more than 5 nominees in order to fit in some of these suggestions. ;)Arc2012

Yeah, the real problem is that GS Polls only allow for 5 choices so I've had to limit all categories to that. Unfortunate, but I think we can deal with it.

FFCC: Crystal Bears is what you're talking about, I think, but neither that, nor Silent Hill is out yet. I'm betting that FFCC:CB gets pushed back into next year since it has such a late release date so I'm not going to put it in any category. I only have Silent Hill up there because it should be out in time for some people to play it and have an opinion on the game before I hold the vote on it.

I'm thinking that perhaps you are right about switching Silent Hill and Muramasa. But I'm still not convinced about dividing up the categories. If enough people agree though I will. Also, I'll go check out Nyx Quest. I've never heard of it. Thanks for the feedback!

You can get around that by making 100 or so posts...... You know, the title is kind of misleading. I thought we were going to be voting on the best and worst posters in this forum. No racing genre? We got many racing games, including F1 2009 and Excitebots. Also, Punch Out might be a better fit in the sports category, or perhaps you should add a fighter category and put it there. And finally, for the "*Best Overall Third Party Game" category, do you mean best third party exclusive title? If not, I'd like to argue with the selections.
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Arc2012

You can get around that by making 100 or so posts...... You know, the title is kind of misleading. I thought we were going to be voting on the best and worst posters in this forum. No racing genre? We got many racing games, including F1 2009 and Excitebots. Also, Punch Out might be a better fit in the sports category, or perhaps you should add a fighter category and put it there. And finally, for the "*Best Overall Third Party Game" category, do you mean best third party exclusive title? If not, I'd like to argue with the selections.psychobrew

Changed the title. I didn't even think about it like that so I'm glad you guys caught it. :D

I'll add a best racing game category. So far I have Excitebots, F12009, and Need for Speed Nitro. I'm not very into racing games so I don't know of many. Any others you can think of that might deserve it will help.

I personally tried to pick things that were exclusive to the Wii or had a unique experience on the Wii. But the selections aren't written in stone. Argue away!

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Great idea, but I have a suggestion. If you think you should have more than 5 nominees in a category but you think you can't because of the poll limit, that's not the only way to vote. In my experience it's just as easy to take a manual tally and it's also much more cheating proof because people can't use alts to flood votes for one game. Don't know if any of that matters to you, but I look forward to taking part in this. :D
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

[QUOTE="psychobrew"] You can get around that by making 100 or so posts...... You know, the title is kind of misleading. I thought we were going to be voting on the best and worst posters in this forum. No racing genre? We got many racing games, including F1 2009 and Excitebots. Also, Punch Out might be a better fit in the sports category, or perhaps you should add a fighter category and put it there. And finally, for the "*Best Overall Third Party Game" category, do you mean best third party exclusive title? If not, I'd like to argue with the selections.Arc2012

Changed the title. I didn't even think about it like that so I'm glad you guys caught it. :D

I'll add a best racing game category. So far I have Excitebots, F12009, and Need for Speed Nitro. I'm not very into racing games so I don't know of many. Any others you can think of that might deserve it will help.

I personally tried to pick things that were exclusive to the Wii or had a unique experience on the Wii. But the selections aren't written in stone. Argue away!

Other racing games include Moto GP 08 (lol @ it comming out in 09), and I beleive there was a "My Sims" kart racing game. You might also want to add a horror category as well for Cursed Mountain, Sielent Hill, and others. And as far as arguing, my favorite games this year are F1 2009 and Modern Warfare Reflex, though I have yet to try NSMBW. Also, The Crystal Bearers will be comming out this year. When does voting start?
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts
[QUOTE="SoraX64"] Great idea, but I have a suggestion. If you think you should have more than 5 nominees in a category but you think you can't because of the poll limit, that's not the only way to vote. In my experience it's just as easy to take a manual tally and it's also much more cheating proof because people can't use alts to flood votes for one game. Don't know if any of that matters to you, but I look forward to taking part in this. :D

I don't think anyone really cares that much to make alternate accounts so that their favorite game wins :P
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Arc2012

Other racing games include Moto GP 08 (lol @ it comming out in 09), and I beleive there was a "My Sims" kart racing game. You might also want to add a horror category as well for Cursed Mountain, Sielent Hill, and others. And as far as arguing, my favorite games this year are F1 2009 and Modern Warfare Reflex, though I have yet to try NSMBW. Also, The Crystal Bearers will be comming out this year. When does voting start?psychobrew

I'll add them in a sec.

I thought about a horror category. But would RE: DC and Dead Space Extraction belong there or the shooter category, or both? I played RE: UC and its more shooter than horror, but I've never played DS Extraction. Also, besides JU-ON, what other games could we have? Too bad Fatal Frame 4 never came to the states or I could put that one up there in it.

Crystal Bearers will be out this year, but it comes out on 12/26. I'm hoping that most of the voting will be done by then. Voting starts next week!

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Ooo,great idea.I think I'll participate.:)

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Michael0134567

I thought this was going to be a forum poster award thread. But I am all in favor of this one too:wink:gamefan67
That's what I thought at first for some reason lol.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
[QUOTE="alexh_99"] I don't think anyone really cares that much to make alternate accounts so that their favorite game wins :P

Some people already have alts. And did you see the Greatest Hero competition? :P
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

I would put Lit as the fifth horror game (I can't think of anything else that counts and I know calling Lit a horror game is a bit of a stretch). I would also replace Overlord with FFIV: The After Years in the RPG category. And NyxQuest over Onslaught.

EDIT:

A box art award might be pretty cool too.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamefan67
hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arc2012
[QUOTE="gamefan67"]hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?

I'd be willing to add it in. As long as people give me some nominees. NOT themselves!!!
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Arc2012

I would put Lit as the fifth horror game (I can't think of anything else that counts and I know calling Lit a horror game is a bit of a stretch). I would also replace Overlord with FFIV: The After Years in the RPG category. And NyxQuest over Onslaught.

EDIT:

A box art award might be pretty cool too.

JAB991

I'm actually going to take all of your suggestions. ;)

Most everyone is saying NyxQuest over Onslaught so it looks like we have a new nominee.

Box art award would be cool. Post some nominees and I'll put them up as a Special Achievment!

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
Ok i'll try and help you out, first off I would put Punch Out under sports, it may not play like Fight Night, but its like an arcade sport title. I'll put it to you this way, Wii Sports was a sports game nominee back in 2006. Heres How I would go about it: Action Adventure: This includes titles like NSMB, Crystal Bearers which are fast paced action titles but also offer adventure elements like exploration. Action: This is for titles like Muramasa and Madworld where fast paced, linear, Action is at the fore front. Shooters-FPS, TPS and Rail Shooters RPG-Self explanatory Sports Racing Wii Ware Developer of the Year-Like we don't know who will win that one lol Overall GOTY Most Anticipated 2010 I would keep it to the main things to limit how many topics and votes you have to keep track of and that is also forces you to pick the cream of crop, if you have too many brackets you have to find games to fill those. Like I saw someone mention Lit, its an interesting game, but its not GOTY nominee quality. I would get rid of alot of those categories so that only the best games of the year are on the list, its really how you seperate the best for the rest. Make people choose between things like Shattered Memories and New Super Mario Bros, instead of having a bunch of topics so every game wins one.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamefan67
[QUOTE="Arc2012"][QUOTE="gamefan67"]hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?

I'd be willing to add it in. As long as people give me some nominees. NOT themselves!!!

Nah.....you have enough on your plate as it in, but maybe we can squeeze it in later:wink:
rolfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rolfboy
Member since 2006 • 1137 Posts
Sepewrath, I actually think Punch-Out deserves to be in a Puzzle game category along with Boom Blox Bash Party, A Boy and His Blob (Its as much Puzzle as it is Platformer), and............um I'd guess MySims Agents and either a 2009 puzzle Wiiware title or Marble Saga: Kororinpa. I am heavily opposed to adding a primarily single player experience into a sports category, which we all know are based primarily on competition.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Michael0134567
hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?gamefan67
I'm up for it,but what would the awards be?
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="gamefan67"]hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?

All just a popularity contest. I'm not up for that.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamefan67
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="gamefan67"]hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?

Well, this is sort of a popularity contest too..........so...........yeah.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiifan001

[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Arc2012, I would suggest contacting the mods if you haven't already and see what they think of it. Who knows? Maybe it will be a sticky thread.GabuEx

I give this thread my official seal of approval.

Yay sticky :D
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Arc2012

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="gamefan67"]hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?gamefan67

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm deciding against it. It'd just be hard to handle. Besides, we all know I'd win anyway :P.

Also, updates to the first post have been made as well as to the nominees section!

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

Make sure that the voting for the horror game starts a week or so after Shattered Memories comes out. It very well might be the best Wii game of the year, and it would be unfortunate if it doesn't win its genre award at least just because no one played it yet.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wiifan001
Best Musical Game: Best as in sound track or best as in what the game offers in features, modes of play, etc?
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Arc2012
[QUOTE="wiifan001"]Best Musical Game: Best as in sound track or best as in what the game offers in features, modes of play, etc?

I would say that the soundtrack is one of the games features. Obviously you're going to enjoy the game more if it has music on it that you like, but don't let that be the only thing you consider. Consider everything the game has to offer in terms of modes of play, the variety of music (would it appeal to s lot of Wii gamers, not just yourself), the control, the fun factor, lasting appeal, and its value (especially important in the Music category considering we have a $6 USD game and a, according to Amazon.com right now, $290.33 game). I guess I haven't really thought about what we mean when we say "the Best." But in this category I think that Game is a more important word than Music. @JAB991 I plan on doing the horror award last among the genre awards. And if Shattered Memories is just fantastic it might move on up to third party game or even GOTY, who knows. But don't worry, if the game deserves praise, it'll receive it.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Good idea, count me in.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="gamefan67"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="gamefan67"]hmmm......maybe we should have a Wii forum poster/thread award too. Who is up for that?

Games don't get their feelings hurt.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gamefan67
Games don't get their feelings hurt.OreoMilkshake
What!?! That E.T. game was very upset when it got dumped into a landfill:P