ZombiU inspired by Skyrim and Dark Souls, more details about the game (UPDATE)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

Here are a few interesting details about ZombiU. I cut out some bits so if you want to learn more head over to http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/40417/features/5-zombiu-facts-we-learned-today/?page=1

ZombiU has been inspired by Skyrim:

"You'd expect Ubisoft to name Resident Evil as an influence, especially Resi 2 and 3 as they were set in a city. You also won't be surprised to learn that it has been influenced a 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle's horror film which is set in London.

However, Bethesda's RPG Skyrim has also been named as an influence as has Namco Bandai's Dark Souls."

Leave secret messages for your friends:

"The capture the flag multiplayer mode we played at E3 was great. The player with the Wii U GamePad placed zombies near the flag while the other - using the Wii U Pro Controller - tried to survive. What Ubisoft didn't tell us at the time is that you can also help your friends in the main story mode by leaving messages.

This new community feature - called Blacklight - allows players to scan environments and reveal messages left by your friends (other survivors). This means you'll be able to help each other out during the adventure and there is even a secret code that you'll discover in the story which gives you the ability to leave secret messages.

This seems like exactly the sort of thing that Nintendo President Satoru Iwata was talking about when he unveiled Miiverse."

Hunt your zombified friends:

"NG: Nintendo used ZombiU as an example of how its Miiverse system will work in the game. How in-depth do you plan to integrate Miiverse or other social elements into the game?

UBI: We have developed online features for the community. Players will be able to kill their zombified friends and recover the stuff in their inventory."

Your character will improve the longer you survive:

"Dying is one of the best things about ZombiU. With the one-bite-and-you're-dead rule, it could have been unfair but when you hit the ground, it isn't game over. After dying in Buckingham Palace, we respawned in Shadwell station before returning to the Mall to shoot down zombies, including your old character. Brilliant.

You'll want to experience this but you should try and survive as long as possible as your character will improve the longer you stay alive.

As Ubisoft explain, "Each character you play gets progressively better at handling weapons. For instance, the more your current survivor plays with a hand gun, the faster he or she will be able to draw, shoot and reload, accuracy will improve and kickback decrease. If this survivor dies, the next survivor you play will have to learn these skills for him or herself all over again. Now there's a good reason to care about losing an experienced survivor! On the bright side, it's a meaningful challenge, and it gives you the opportunity to try out a new weapon and different survival tactics to see if you can do better!"

So if you do manage to survive for a long time, we imagine it will get get even more tense as you won't want to lose your skills."

EDIT:

More Details from Gamescom:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184060
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184101
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=184107

- game was originally going to be 7-8 hours
- campaign now takes 15-20 hours, depending on your skill level
- 17 levels which "are bigger" than what we've seen demoed
- 5 "specials" zombies (more skilled) without counting the bosses
- The messages/notifications we can see in the game come from the comunity/other players
- There are 4 npc characters in the campaign who'll be the story drivers

- Inside Buckingham, you're looking for the "Royal Doctor"
- he is researching a cure to the Zombie virus - this location is after 7-8 missions
- messages left by other players will include content from both friends and players in general
- the community can rate the message to let players know if it's worthwhile or not
- total staff includes 90 in Montpellier, plus a team of 30 in Romania doing the multiplayer maps
- when some key codes are scanned, they are added to the mini-map so you don't have to remember
- three slots on the GamePad are for quick item access
- use these slots for your most-used backpack items
- Zombies are attracted to sound and light

- One of the NPCs, the "prepper" who was the guiding voice in the E3 demo, has a wife "Sondra", from whom he is separated
- Prepper's approach is to barricade survivors within the safehouse, whereas his wife belongs to an organization that looks to have survivors flee the city
- 2/3 NPCs which will influence how the game scenario evolves
- crossbow is more efficient for outside levels and long distance shots
- when you die, the character you take on next is randomly generated
- there will be 4 or 5 types of special zombies

- on-screen messaging system lets you know what your friends or your friend's zombie are doing
- you can also learn what your zombi (former player) is doing to others
- there will be some form of leaderboards to keep track of these interactions

fJYeC.jpg

EDIT 2:

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=183585

Ubisoft details ZombiU's brutal difficulty, survival mode:

"We really want to target and challenge the gamers with ZombiU because this game is very hard. So for example when you finish the game you will unlock a new mode called Survival Mode. You will have to finish the game with only one life and only one character. We know there are a lot of gamers expecting a lot with the Wii U, so that's why we want to deliver this experience and dedicate it to the gamers." - Ubisoft Monpellier's international product manager Nicolai Bouchai

And here are the two newest trailers for ZombiU:

(Youtube) Developer Diary - Episode 1
(Youtube) Gamescom Trailer

It sounds pretty interesting, I hope it turns out well even though I won't be getting it.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
In what way?
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JollyGreenOne

In what way?meetroid8

He doesn't go into specifics for either one, but I think it's easy to see how it was inspired by Dark Souls. I'd take a guess that Skyrim influenced the melee combat.

dan0314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 dan0314
Member since 2011 • 658 Posts

Now THIS is the zombie game I've always wanted. Can't wait to get a Wii U to play it. :) Thanks for sharing the info! :D

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Great topic jolly! and i so cant wait for Zombie U

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
I think they're also doing a DS like ghost of other player mechanic where you can see other players playing. That's not official, but it was seen in the demos, but UBI declined to comment on it, but it's speculated that a similar mechanic is being used. I may not get ZombiU, but I just hope it does breathe some life into such an overly saturated genre.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Inspiration from Skyrim because of free roaming environments? Heck I hope so. Having a huge city to explore while being extremely cautious sounds like the perfect zombie game.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I'm really wanting to try out that multiplayer. Been the master of a Zombie horde that's trying to kill your friends sounds like a lot of fun.
hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Im really loving how one of core factors is making the players with the controllers have different roles specifically for their controller types. Especially when the Wii U Tablet gets to be the "Mastermind"

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Is there an ending to it?...don't wanna be playing it like you know forever with no ending in sight. :P

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JollyGreenOne

I've added more details to the OP. (Thanks GameboyTroy!)

Is there an ending to it?...don't wanna be playing it like you know forever with no ending in sight. :P

superbuuman

According to the new details the campaign is 15 to 20 hours long, depending on your skill level.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I like the sound of character progression, it will make it'll make you fight extra hard to not want to lose that progression. I wonder if the zombie version of a "high level" character would be a tougher kill.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 superbuuman

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

JollyGreenOne

According to the new details the campaign is 15 to 20 hours long, depending on your skill level.

ah thanx..that's good. :)

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 homegirl2180

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

JollyGreenOne

Geez, you are going all out. I admire the devotion and effort.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Inspiration from Skyrim because of free roaming environments? Heck I hope so. Having a huge city to explore while being extremely cautious sounds like the perfect zombie game.

thetravman

that is almost certainly not the case. From what I've seen it will be a snaking corridor, crafted experience in the vein of Left for Dead or Demons Souls. If there is an element taken from Skyrim it's probably the way individual skills and abilities improve the more you use them.

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 knuckl3head
Member since 2009 • 908 Posts

:O

I'm loving the sounds how your skills improve the longer you stay alive. I'm way more excited now hearing all this, this game will be tight, can't wait!

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Can't wait for this game. Already preordered it on newegg deal
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#18 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I think it is getting actually more and more interesting... This may be my final argument to get a Wii U at launch ;)
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JollyGreenOne

The info below has been added to the OP.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=183585

Ubisoft details ZombiU's brutal difficulty, survival mode:

"We really want to target and challenge the gamers with ZombiU because this game is very hard. So for example when you finish the game you will unlock a new mode called Survival Mode. You will have to finish the game with only one life and only one character. We know there are a lot of gamers expecting a lot with the Wii U, so that's why we want to deliver this experience and dedicate it to the gamers." - Ubisoft Monpellier's international product manager Nicolai Bouchai

Geez, you are going all out. I admire the devotion and effort.homegirl2180
Thanks. I feel like people should know about a game like this, even though I'm not personally interested. It seems like this development team is putting a lot of effort into the game, so it would be a shame if it got ignored.

that is almost certainly not the case. From what I've seen it will be a snaking corridor, crafted experience in the vein of Left for Dead or Demons Souls. If there is an element taken from Skyrim it's probably the way individual skills and abilities improve the more you use them.

GunSmith1_basic

Ubisoft have said that there are 17 levels which "are bigger" than what we've seen demoed. But like you said- based on everything we know, it's not likely that we'll see much (if any) free roaming environments.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#20 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am deeply in love with this game, and I love pretty much everything about it. But is there a possibility they will change that hideous name?

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 knuckl3head

I am deeply in love with this game, and I love pretty much everything about it. But is there a possibility they will change that hideous name?

Pierst179

Probably not unless they change the name of their upcoming console - wich would be awesome.

I nominate Wii U for most horrendous home console name. evah.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Have people always cared this much about something as irrelevant as a name?
knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 knuckl3head

Have people always cared this much about something as irrelevant as a name? Sepewrath

Until the Wii-U, I never had a reason to.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 homegirl2180

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Have people always cared this much about something as irrelevant as a name? knuckl3head

Until the Wii-U, I never had a reason to.

Oh please, I think we're all forgetting how stupid Wii sounded to us back when the name was revealed 7 years ago. Even Xbox got a lot of flak, because, let's face it, it probably has a more pointless name than any other console in decades.
knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 knuckl3head

Oh please, I think we're all forgetting how stupid Wii sounded to us back when the name was revealed 7 years ago. Even Xbox got a lot of flak, because, let's face it, it probably has a more pointless name than any other console in decades.homegirl2180

At least they don't sound like an ambulance, especially when you say it more than once.

I don't see why you guys are rushing in to defend the name - its not like you came up with it and I have a hard time believing you think its any good. I don't like the name, so? Its not like its going to deter me from buying any of the products I might like just like I wouldn't buy more even if I thought the name was awesome. I just like to complain and vent that I think its a retarded and confusing name for the wii's predecessor and that probably won't stop here.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 homegirl2180

[QUOTE="homegirl2180"] Oh please, I think we're all forgetting how stupid Wii sounded to us back when the name was revealed 7 years ago. Even Xbox got a lot of flak, because, let's face it, it probably has a more pointless name than any other console in decades.knuckl3head

At least they don't sound like an ambulance, especially when you say it more than once.

I don't see why you guys are rushing in to defend the name - its not like you came up with it and I have a hard time believing you think its any good. I don't like the name, so? Its not like its going to deter me from buying any of the products I might like just like I wouldn't buy more even if I thought the name was awesome. I just like to complain and vent that I think its a retarded and confusing name for the wii's successor and that probably won't stop here.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's not about defending the Wii U's name, it's about telling the truth, and in general, just getting people to whine less. If someone says something like no other console in history has had a more negative reaction to a name than Wii U, I'd first ask how you measure that, and I'd just point about that a lot of people complaining now will be fine with the name in a year. Lots of things have had stupid names when first shown, and now no one gives a crap. And don't say, "This is the internet. All people do is whine." That doesn't justify it. I just don't like false exaggerations or excessive whining.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superbuuman

Thought Wii was a stupid name when Nintendo first announced it...still think its a stupid name now, hasn't change. Its the same with WiiU. They're just trying to be like Apple "i"whatever stuff ..except trying to be even more different..instead of using the usual numbers...they use alphabet instead. Still a stupid name.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Zombi U box art and new trailer

zombiu_box_art.jpg?w=584&h=804

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

Zombi U box art and new trailer

zombiu_box_art.jpg?w=584&h=804

GameboyTroy

Nice box art.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

US Box Art

ZombiU box art

knuckl3head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 knuckl3head

First one in the eye looks pretty BA..

US one looks kinda lame..

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 homegirl2180

US Box Art

gameofthering

So disappointing compared to the other one.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GamerEye

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

US Box Art

homegirl2180

So disappointing compared to the other one.

It doesn't look that bad to me. Though I will admit that the first one does looks better.

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JollyGreenOne

I do think the European box looks a little better, but it's kind of weird how it seems like the zombie is coming at the person while staring off into the distance. The US one doesn't look too bad either, I like how they have a whole hoard of zombies in the background and you can clearly tell the game is set in London.

Mega_Core-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mega_Core-X
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Every new detail I learn about this game gets me more excited. I am defintely going to get this on day one. I just regret that I'll have no friend who will also be buying a Wii U and ZombiU, but it's their loss. This game will be amazing.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

It looks like an enhanced Wii game!

Not good.

Graphics could be much better.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GameboyTroy

Ubisoft reveals tons of storyline/character details for ZombiU, hopes for a sequel

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GamerEye

It looks like an enhanced Wii game!

Not good.

Graphics could be much better.

GreekGameManiac

Enhanced Wii game? I don't see that at all. Sure the graphics aren't next-gen but they are certainly well above Wii level graphics, thats for sure. Imo.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Enhanced Wii game? I don't see that at all. Sure the graphics aren't next-gen but they are certainly well above Wii level graphics, thats for sure. Imo.

GamerEye

Since it was intended to be a PS3/360 game, it's only natural it looks like something from them. Has very good lighting and shadows though IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
Rather excited for this game, looks like something I could clock many hours on.
bluemage1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bluemage1989
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Let's hope this ends up being as awesome as it looks mind u i was this excited about dead island and was left pretty disappointed
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GameboyTroy

ZombiU - New GamePad interactions detailed (barricades, hacking and more)

GamePad uses

- survival bag for food, ammunition, weapons
- will be used physically for weapons like the sniper rifle and crossbow
- sonar for seeing where zombies are
- scanner for food, other items, weapons, ammunition
- scan the infected to see if they are carrying anything
- game can be played without the scanner
- scanner can get upgrades
- eventually scan for serum, which comes from a gland that zombies have
- extract serum with syringe
- hacking device that reveals stuff and breaks stuff such as CCTV cameras
- do this to update your mini-map on the GamePad screen with more info
- mini-game that [involves] lock picking
- move your finger on the lock to pick the lock
- return to safehouse and use workbench to upgrade weapons
- player skills: hit certain goals to upgrade your character's skills
- lift planks with GamePad to barricade doors

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I like Dark Souls a lot. I don't like Skyrim at all, it's terrible.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GameboyTroy

ZombiU - 'Get Out Of London' Wii U Trailer

ZombiU - more screens

shockwave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 shockwave04
Member since 2002 • 19257 Posts
I don't really play survival horror games but I think I have to try this one.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GameboyTroy

ZombiU - details on online features, multiplayer modes

ZombiU - new details on weapons, storage, safehouses and more

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/18/zombiu-hands-on-the-dark-souls-of-zombie-games/ yoink (Super 600)

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GameboyTroy
I'd like to see this game do well when it launches.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

It sounds like an overhyped launch game. That's always the problem with a launch. A game that's supposed to "blow our minds" ends up being mediocre at best unless it's a tried and tested series.

I hope for the best, but I'm just not hyped about this game.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

PRaying this doesn't turn into another red steel