Zelda Wii U Delay / Wii U 2015

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I'm sure i'm not the only one that was disappointed at down with the news that Zelda on the WIi U was getting delayed. Not really surprised, and not really let down, because at the end of the day, we'll get a better/more complete game. BUT the thing that surprised me the most, is that it won't be shown at E3. Which kinda makes it sound like it's a ways off... maybe Dec 2016. Which gets me thinking...

A) Maybe Nintendo will surprise us with some good Zelda news at E3, and maybe some video.

or

B) Shift gears completely.... without Zelda in the holiday season they are going to have to fill that void.

We haven't heard anything new major releases sine the last E3, and i'd have to wonder how much more we'll get with Wii U, with the word NX is coming down the road. We still don't know if what NX will be, other than a gaming console.

So as we know... Wii U has these games coming in the rest of 2015:

Yoshi, Xenoblade, Star Fox, SPlatoon, Mario Maker, Devil's Third

late 2013 and 2014 the Wii U has been on a "hot streak" with several hot rated games, which brought the Wii U back from a slow start. (maybe not back far enough) BUT my concern now is with the NX announce / Zelda U delay... after this "hot streak" we are going to get a drought. I'd imagine with the amount of Amiibo releases, Nintendo will have to come up with a plan for that as well, as Nintendo promised future games to support.

It looks like Yoshi/Splatoon will get spring/summer (2Q) releases. Devils Third, Mario Maker, 3Q releases, Star Fox/Xenoblade in the 4Q. Which begs the questions is 6 games over 9 months enough?? Plus games like Splatoon, and Devil's Third have a target audience. Sure there will be some virtual console games, and other mini-games like SNES remix. But does it make sense for Wii U owners to continue to invest in these digital games with NX coming? Nintendo is known for backwards compatibility, so hopefully this trend continues, but i'd like them to come out and say that.

So what's Nintendo's Plan for the Wii U this year???? Are they going to rush other games? Some tricks up their sleeve?

Only thing i can think of now, is more Wii, Gamecube, and N64 games added to the VC. Some will these answers.... but looking out my telescope the waters are looking choppy ahead.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

They will continue to make games until console sales slow down by a lot.

Wii U was released Nov-Dec 2012

Dec 2012 - 3.06 million units sold

Dec 2013 - 5.86 million units sold

Dec 2014 - 9.20 million units sold.

Each year Nintendo sales continue to rise, they should have never trusted and promised a full year of no AAA games to 3rd Party, they should have known 3rd Party would screw them over like always and back out. I dont think Nintendo will make the same mistake, they will focus on making awesome games and continue support for 3DS/N3DS and Wii U. They will announce working on a new console and give us details in 2016, most likely at E3. Then in 2017 Nintendo will most likely have a demo of the system available to show off to the world at E3. Then in 2018 at E3 they will most likely announce a release date and bring it out in time for the holidays in 2018.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'm not surprised that Zelda was delayed. I was expecting the announcement sooner or later. It's far more ambitious than Skyward Sword, which was delayed a year. Open world games tend to have a lot of bugs(looking at you, Oblivion and Skyrim), so I'd prefer Nintendo to take their time and make a less buggy, more complete package.

That said, the lineup on Wii U is really pitiful. I'm going to buy Xenoblade, Mario Maker, Splatoon, likely Starfox, and maybe Devil's Third if it turns out well. Those games don't necessarily appeal to everyone, though. Aside from indie developers, there's pretty much nothing to fill the gaps and widen the system's appeal. It's a glaring, in your face illustration of how bad Nintendo screwed up with 3rd parties. Some surprises at E3 would be nice.

Whatever the NX is, I hope it rectifies their mistakes with 3rd party developers. I have never seen the situation this bad on any major NIntendo home console. The closest I can think of is the N64, but even that seems to have received more support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-5bbbfd7e351ba
Member since 2014 • 322 Posts

I was expecting this to happen, so it's not all that surprising.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Greatest news ever! And with the no show at E3, this means that Nintendo can actually show focus to some of their other neglected franchises as well as gives them more time to work on making Zelda WiiU a complete game before release.

I was very excited to hear the news of Zelda's delay and especially the non showing at E3 this year. Sure I want a Zelda for WiiU but we've been flooded with too much Zelda lately. It's time for some other franchises to get some love.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

They will continue to make games until console sales slow down by a lot.

Wii U was released Nov-Dec 2012

Dec 2012 - 3.06 million units sold

Dec 2013 - 5.86 million units sold

Dec 2014 - 9.20 million units sold.

Each year Nintendo sales continue to rise, they should have never trusted and promised a full year of no AAA games to 3rd Party, they should have known 3rd Party would screw them over like always and back out. I dont think Nintendo will make the same mistake, they will focus on making awesome games and continue support for 3DS/N3DS and Wii U. They will announce working on a new console and give us details in 2016, most likely at E3. Then in 2017 Nintendo will most likely have a demo of the system available to show off to the world at E3. Then in 2018 at E3 they will most likely announce a release date and bring it out in time for the holidays in 2018.

Sales are, for a lack of a better word, crap. As far as I can ascertain, quite a few of their big hitters have already been released and none set the gaming world on fire in terms of purchasing the Wii U. Holiday sales mean a lot but what about he remaining eleven months of the year? The new Yoshi game is one I have been eagerly anticipating but lets be honest and admit it wont replace a Zelda title. I'm bummed because not much else announced (or even unannounced) will pull me like Zelda. Would I love a new Metroid? Absolutely. My hope for an entry on the Wii U is fleeting.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iandizion713

@Solaryellow:

What matters is that sales are rising nicely every year. You dont release a new console when sales are increasing by such a big percentage each year. Its true sales are not super epic like we all wish, but that doesnt mean this console is no good, it just means people are missing out just like they missed out on Gamecube.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow

@iandizion713

The law of averages applies in this situation. The Wii U is going to sell and it has to sell when it comes to the various price deals, various editions with included games, actual software releases, etc.., but it isn't selling like a system of its caliber should and you know the shot callers are pulling out their hair. Realistically speaking they should be doing just that. Why? A number of big named titles have been released and aren't having the desired effect. The issue of being a good system is not up for debate. People are just choosing the competition and losing Zelda while not having what it needs to offer is what is making this happen. Nintendo went all in too early and they aren't holding enough quality cards and I don't doubt for one second a new console releasing before 2018.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iandizion713

@Solaryellow: every time a Wii U is sold Nintendo makes a profit, as long as their not losing money im sure their happy. What matters most is that the games sell.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow

Losing is very hard for a winner to swallow. Money or not, 10 million consoles sold in 2.5 years is not good especially looking at the previous system. Of course Nintendo is making money but they have been throwing everything at gamers in the hopes of something sticking and the results are not good. There aren't anymore rabbits to pull out of the proverbial hat. When, if, Zelda is released on the Wii U, I fear people will be looking elsewhere. The system is fantastic but it is sinking when compared to the competition and Nintendo knows this which is why I think the delay (at least part of it) was announced. I think Nintendo is weighing its options on the matter.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

Is it really fair to compare Nintendo to Sony/Microsoft? Most people who own a Wii U , also own a PS4 or Xbox one... The Nintendo system have/always will be... strong first party titles for the casual/fun gamer. They go for a younger audience. They aren't going after the call of duty crowd. With that being said, sales started off slow, but grew as more titles became available. It was very important to continue that momentum in 2015, however this year has been off to a slow start with Kirby/Mario Party being just average games... Zelda getting delayed and the NX announcement.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Solaryellow:

What matters is that sales are rising nicely every year. You dont release a new console when sales are increasing by such a big percentage each year. Its true sales are not super epic like we all wish, but that doesnt mean this console is no good, it just means people are missing out just like they missed out on Gamecube.

How are sales rising nicely? If they were the only system on the market I guess that may be true but they are already getting left behind by the other two consoles that launched a year after the Wiiu.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iandizion713

@ryno1179: they are rising nicely cause every year we add another 3 million users. Mario Kart has already sold bout 5 million copies. Thats half the fan base has bought Mario Kart, only next gen selling better is CoD. Im proud of my Nintendo fans. Cant wait for more to join. Lets make it 10 million this year. We going for gold. Here we come Xbox One, PS4, you next.

ProficientCity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ProficientCity
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Zelda Wii U Delay / Wii U 2015===

Very fresh
Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ryno1179

@iandizion713 said:

@ryno1179: they are rising nicely cause every year we add another 3 million users. Mario Kart has already sold bout 5 million copies. Thats half the fan base has bought Mario Kart, only next gen selling better is CoD. Im proud of my Nintendo fans. Cant wait for more to join. Lets make it 10 million this year. We going for gold. Here we come Xbox One, PS4, you next.

You can't really be serious?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 iandizion713

@ryno1179: im dead serious, we dont have to be number 1, we just have to be fun.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ryno1179

I'm sure Nintendo really loves being in third place. So much that they have already announced another system.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iandizion713

@ryno1179: 3DS is in first place ;)

Also, whats wrong with leaking a console? Nintendo makes one bout every 5 years anyway, this is nothing new. I hope Microsoft and Sony are ready. Nintendo will announce console in 2016, i expect Microsoft and Sony to announce their consoles in 2017.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I'm not disappointed because I never believed for a single second that it would actually be released in 2015. When they tried to claim that it was definitely getting released in 2015, I just laughed.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I don't mind. I'm actually glad since they are delaying to ADD more content. I'd rather Nintendo release a Zelda game NOT having any regrets instead of getting many ideas during the games development that could have improved the experience of the game but unable to implement them due to a deadline. If they haven't hit a wall yet on what they can bring into this game (Like I'm guessing they did with Twilight Princess and GC's hardware which forced them to abandon and modify many of the ideas/content that was originally planned for the game in hopes of cramming everything on one disc) or run out of ideas, I consider that a good thing and prefer they take their time implementing those ideas.

Hell, this maybe the title that get's me to finally buy a Wii U if everything goes smoothly....

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Actually creating a demo for E3 wastes time and resources. Just let them keep working. It looks like another Vanilla Zelda anyway. Hasn't been interesting since Majoras Mask.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#22 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

@ryno1179: 3DS is in first place ;)

Also, whats wrong with leaking a console? Nintendo makes one bout every 5 years anyway, this is nothing new. I hope Microsoft and Sony are ready. Nintendo will announce console in 2016, i expect Microsoft and Sony to announce their consoles in 2017.

Because its only competition is the Vita. That's like saying you're the strongest man in a malnourished village when you're the only one eating. Unfortunately, the console market is an entirely different village. The Wii U is a flatout embarrassment. I love my Wii U, but dammit, it should have been performing FAR better than it has now.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Xenoblade X, Devil's Third, Mario Maker, Splatoon & Starfox? (if this get release) are the ones I am getting...though really wish they'd release Fatal Frame 5 & not keep it in Japan. :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iandizion713

@JustPlainLucas: hey now, dont blame Nintendo cause they destroyed every single competitor who has ever tried to compete with them. Welcome to the graveyard baby, plenty of fallen handhelds to keep you company.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@JustPlainLucas: hey now, dont blame Nintendo cause they destroyed every single competitor who has ever tried to compete with them. Welcome to the graveyard baby, plenty of fallen handhelds to keep you company.

I'm not blaming Nintendo, but I'm not giving them credit either. They haven't met a single competent threat in the handheld market since the Game Boy. So, no, you don't get credit for destroying the competition when they blow themselves up with their own grenade.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iandizion713

@JustPlainLucas: Funny, even without competition Nintendo produces cool games for their handhelds. Couldnt they just not produce awesome games and laugh all the way to the bank? I mean come on, what else you gonna play? Amirite?

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

Seriously... is anyone surprised a Zelda game got delayed? I called BS the second they said it will come out 2015.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

I'm just wondering which will come first: Zelda or FF15? Both are massive projects that seem so epic and anticipated that they might well vanish under the pressure of their own awesomeness.