Wifi Adaptor thoughts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -ZeRoHouR-
Member since 2003 • 8089 Posts
Just wondering if anybody here has used it for the Wii online and how it works or how you like it.  I just bought a Wii and don't have a wireless router but since I live in dorms, I don't want anybody to mootch off of my connection, so I am trying to check different options.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
Just wondering if anybody here has used it for the Wii online and how it works or how you like it.  I just bought a Wii and don't have a wireless router but since I live in dorms, I don't want anybody to mootch off of my connection, so I am trying to check different options.-ZeRoHouR-
You can by an Ethernet adapter but I don't know if they sell them yet, But Nintendo said they will sell them soon.
Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts
Just wondering if anybody here has used it for the Wii online and how it works or how you like it. I just bought a Wii and don't have a wireless router but since I live in dorms, I don't want anybody to mootch off of my connection, so I am trying to check different options.-ZeRoHouR-
Set up a secure connection.
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -ZeRoHouR-
[QUOTE="-ZeRoHouR-"]Just wondering if anybody here has used it for the Wii online and how it works or how you like it.  I just bought a Wii and don't have a wireless router but since I live in dorms, I don't want anybody to mootch off of my connection, so I am trying to check different options.Nintendo_Ownes7
You can by an Ethernet adapter but I don't know if they sell them yet, But Nintendo said they will sell them soon.

I think it's already out but I heard some bad things on it.  I am just trying to find an easy solution.
clownofpoetry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 clownofpoetry
Member since 2004 • 501 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="-ZeRoHouR-"]Just wondering if anybody here has used it for the Wii online and how it works or how you like it. I just bought a Wii and don't have a wireless router but since I live in dorms, I don't want anybody to mootch off of my connection, so I am trying to check different options.-ZeRoHouR-

I think it's already out but I heard some bad things on it. I am just trying to find an easy solution.

They have third party Ethernet adapters which are pretty bad. But if you go to Nintendo and get one from them, it'll work just fine. I have one since I live in the dorms as well.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Buy a router and enable WEP
No one will get in
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -ZeRoHouR-
[QUOTE="-ZeRoHouR-"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"][QUOTE="-ZeRoHouR-"]Just wondering if anybody here has used it for the Wii online and how it works or how you like it. I just bought a Wii and don't have a wireless router but since I live in dorms, I don't want anybody to mootch off of my connection, so I am trying to check different options.clownofpoetry

I think it's already out but I heard some bad things on it. I am just trying to find an easy solution.

They have third party Ethernet adapters which are pretty bad. But if you go to Nintendo and get one from them, it'll work just fine. I have one since I live in the dorms as well.

Thanks, I will try and check that out.
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts
Get a router, set up a WEP Key, make the name not so obvious, then make sure to change it's channel to 1 or 11 :wink:. 
LastLaugh90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LastLaugh90
Member since 2005 • 518 Posts
yeah i saw a nintendo brand adapter in best buy like two weeks ago...
-ZeRoHouR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -ZeRoHouR-
Get a router, set up a WEP Key, make the name not so obvious, then make sure to change it's channel to 1 or 11 :wink:.  Bass7

I have no idea what a WEP key is.  If you could, could you give me a little info on that????
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

[QUOTE="Bass7"]Get a router, set up a WEP Key, make the name not so obvious, then make sure to change it's channel to 1 or 11 :wink:.  -ZeRoHouR-

I have no idea what a WEP key is.  If you could, could you give me a little info on that????

It's almost like a PIN number.  If someone tries accesing internet through your router, they'll have to know the WEP key/pass.  Works very well, no one in my neighborhood hogs my bandwith up :P. 

LightThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LightThief
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts
Setting up a WEP key is kinda like locking your wireless network so that you can only use it if you input the key/password. After you do it once its saved so it's no hassle and nobody who you don't give your key to can't get into your wireless network. If you get a wireless router you have nothing to worry about. Just look up how to set it up with a key. Then you can input that key on your wii when you set it up and you'll have no problem.