Which Super Smash Bros. Version will you buy ?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Super Smash Bros. Version will you buy ? (66 votes)

Wii U 35%
3DS 24%
Both 41%

I'm interested to know which version people will be getting. i'm a Smash junkie, the urge to buy both will be hard to resist.

The wii U version is Gorgeous and in HD but having Smash Bros. in your pocket is EPIC !

• 
Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

3DS version, As I don't have or want a Wii U

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 blaaksheep
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

@Tokeism said:

If Smash Bros. was exclusive to Wii U would you buy the system?

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

@blaaksheep:

@blaaksheep said:

@Tokeism said:

I don't think I would ever buy a system for one game

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@blaaksheep said:

@Tokeism said:

No, as I'm not a big fan (if one at all of Smash Bros.) that being said the prospect of a portable party fighting game is promising. I also like the art style of the 3DS version. When I eventually pick up a Wii-U, I would probably buy Smash Bros. when it gets cheap used so guests can be entertained.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Wii-U. Can't imagine playing such a hectic and control demanding game on a 3DS. It would probably suck.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

If I ended up with the WiiU,I would definitely need one more person to work the tablet,but being a "Smasher" on-the-go, the 3DS should do just fine

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#7 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

While I'm glad there's a 3DS game, this is a game I'd rather play on a console.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#8 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

@Smashbrossive50 said:

If I ended up with the WiiU,I would definitely need one more person to work the tablet,but being a "Smasher" on-the-go, the 3DS should do just fine

Actually I heard that the WiiU Smash wasn't going to use the tablet because Sakurai said something regarding the tablet user having an edge. I honestly don't know for sure.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

Definitely the Wii U version for the multiplayer. Smash on the big screen with controllers is the way to go.

I'm curious to see how the 3DS version turns out though.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

i don't have a wii u, but i might be getting one in the near future (or at least i'll borrow from a friend for some time while he's living abroad). that said, i might end up getting both versions >.>

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Both. I will buy a Wii U when Smash is released.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

WiiU. This game should not have been made for the 3DS.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blaaksheep

@nini200 said:

its a bizzare marketing decision, why take away the WiiU' best exclusive?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I'll be buying both.

@blaaksheep said:

@nini200 said:

They know more people will be buying the Wii U version because it will be superior and more traditional, but it would not hurt if they also release it on the 3DS to get more sales, especially since both version will have stage differences, giving Smash fans a reason to buy both games instead of one, resulting in more money. It's not the best way to market the Wii U, but it is the best way to gain as much sales possible for this Smash Bros game, and I will not be surprised if they continue this trend in the future.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#15  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Don't have a Wii U, so I'll get it for 3DS.

MyCallOfDuty32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 MyCallOfDuty32
Member since 2006 • 559 Posts

Definitely getting the 3DS version.

Can't wait to have such an awesome game on a portable system.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#17 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@blaaksheep said:

@nini200 said:

I also find that to be extremely weird.

I feel there are many 3DS owners out there who could be convinced to buy a Wii U due the Smash Bros exclusivity. However, with it coming out for both systems, they will just be glad to get the 3DS game.

I will only get the Wii U version. It's online component will most likely be stronger, and the graphics will be better. Not to mention the fact that it is easier for me to play local multiplayer on the Wii U than on the 3DS, since the latter requires that your friends also have the system.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Wii U version. It will be the reason why I buy a Wii U. If the 3DS version is WiFi capable, then I'll get that as well...

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blaaksheep

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

I'll be buying both.

@blaaksheep said:

@nini200 said:

They know more people will be buying the Wii U version because it will be superior and more traditional, but it would not hurt if they also release it on the 3DS to get more sales, especially since both version will have stage differences, giving Smash fans a reason to buy both games instead of one, resulting in more money. It's not the best way to market the Wii U, but it is the best way to gain as much sales possible for this Smash Bros game, and I will not be surprised if they continue this trend in the future.

it might have been a better idea to release the 3DS version at a later date & kept it a secret, this strategy would have gained much better sales all round and still kept the hype for the WiiU version. this would also make owners of both consoles feel less like they have to make a decision to buy only one version. getting both would feel more natural instead of an expensive indulgence . Nintendo' marketing is garbage most of the time

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@kbaily: You can play with the Gamepad. The Touch Screen just wont do anything but be used for Off-TV Play. Its just used as a regular controller. Touch Screen might get used in the Srtage Builder if it returns.

To answer the original question...BOTH of course.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools

@blaaksheep: They made a 3DS version cause originally they were ONLY going to do a 3DS version. Wasn't even going to be a Wii U version. They said that the only way to innovate Smash Bros was to make it on the go...

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ANIMEguy10034

@blaaksheep said:

it might have been a better idea to release the 3DS version at a later date & kept it a secret, this strategy would have gained much better sales all round and still kept the hype for the WiiU version. this would also make owners of both consoles feel less like they have to make a decision to buy only one version. getting both would feel more natural instead of an expensive indulgence . Nintendo' marketing is garbage most of the time

Well, we're not forced to buy both at the same day. Having both on release date allows people to chose whichever version they want first and then picking up the other version later, either depending on preference or which console they currently own and plan to buy later. The 3DS version will not drastically hinder the Wii U version's sales because the Wii U version is clearly superior, and those who have decided that they're strictly buying the 3DS either prefers portability or have no intentions on buying a Wii U anytime soon for a single game.

They'll gain more profit out of two versions than one, especially since Smash Bros is now reaching for the handheld audience and many fans are buying both. In general, Nintendo's marketing isn't garbage because this is actually a fantastic way to sell the game and the 3DS is now doing great. They just did a pretty bad job at marketing the Wii U console during its first year.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaaksheep

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@blaaksheep said:

Well, we're not forced to buy both at the same day. Having both on release date allows people to chose whichever version they want first and then picking up the other version later, either depending on preference or which console they currently own and plan to buy later. The 3DS version will not drastically hinder the Wii U version's sales because the Wii U version is clearly superior, and those who have decided that they're strictly buying the 3DS either prefers portability or have no intentions on buying a Wii U anytime soon for a single game.

They'll gain more profit out of two versions than one, especially since Smash Bros is now reaching for the handheld audience and many fans are buying both. In general, Nintendo's marketing isn't garbage because this is actually a fantastic way to sell the game and the 3DS is now doing great. They just did a pretty bad job at marketing the Wii U console during its first year.

IMO the 3DS version will effect WiiU sales, it also gives potential WiiU buyers another reason not to buy a console.

I agree its great for the consumer but at the same time Nintendo are hurting WiiU sales big time

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaaksheep

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@blaaksheep: They made a 3DS version cause originally they were ONLY going to do a 3DS version. Wasn't even going to be a Wii U version. They said that the only way to innovate Smash Bros was to make it on the go...

sounds ridiculous, why does smash bros. even need to innovate? more characters & more stages is all that is required. Decent online match making, leaderboards, tournaments... these would be big enough leaps for the series

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@blaaksheep: I agree. But its the same situation with Starfox and F-Zero. Miyamoto says Nintendo knows people want it, but they cant figure out a way to innovate those franchises...

slapshakle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 slapshakle
Member since 2004 • 4410 Posts

I'll buy both because I'm a sucker.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blaaksheep

sakurai has said in an interview that they have had to limit the amount of characters and stages because of the release on 3DS. he feels having more characters/stages on the Wii version and not 3DS would be 'Rough' on the consumer. WTF! Brawl had 35 characters. well done on the inovation front

Captain falcon, Pokemon Trainer, Meta knight & Lucario all dropped, what a joke. hope im wrong about this

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ANIMEguy10034

@blaaksheep said:

sakurai has said in an interview that they have had to limit the amount of characters and stages because of the release on 3DS. he feels having more characters/stages on the Wii version and not 3DS would be 'Rough' on the consumer. WTF! Brawl had 35 characters. well done on the inovation front

Captain falcon, Pokemon Trainer, Meta knight & Lucario all dropped, what a joke. hope im wrong about this

The former is true, the latter is wrong. Sakurai or anyone from Nintendo has not confirmed that Capt Falcon, Pkmn Trainer, Meta Knight, and Lucario were dropped from the game. Captain Falcon has been in the series since the beginning, therefore there's a high chance he'll be returning. Meta Knight has been a huge fan favorite Kirby character and I doubt he'll be removed. Pokemon Trainer and Lucario are questionable because aside from Pikachu and Jigglypuff, the pokemon characters have always been replaced.

Sakurai did mention that both 3DS and Wii U version will have the same amount of characters, but he never specified the amount of characters they're aiming for. He said that they're more focused on balance than the size of the roster. They want each character to have their own charm, personality and fighting style, trying to avoid the amount of clones Brawl had. We don't know if that means less than 35, exactly 35, or a bit more than 35. We only know that the roster won't drastically expand to Dragon Ball Z standards.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blaaksheep

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@blaaksheep said:

The former is true, the latter is wrong. Sakurai or anyone from Nintendo has not confirmed that Capt Falcon, Pkmn Trainer, Meta Knight, and Lucario were dropped from the game. Captain Falcon has been in the series since the beginning, therefore there's a high chance he'll be returning. Meta Knight has been a huge fan favorite Kirby character and I doubt he'll be removed. Pokemon Trainer and Lucario are questionable because aside from Pikachu and Jigglypuff, the pokemon characters have always been replaced.

Sakurai did mention that both 3DS and Wii U version will have the same amount of characters, but he never specified the amount of characters they're aiming for. He said that they're more focused on balance than the size of the roster. They want each character to have their own charm, personality and fighting style, trying to avoid the amount of clones Brawl had. We don't know if that means less than 35, exactly 35, or a bit more than 35. We only know that the roster won't drastically expand to Dragon Ball Z standards.

i hope more characters are confirmed, would be a massive let down to miss out on them. doesn't look good though, sakurai seemed almost apologetic when talking about the roster. i would rather they push the release back if they have to

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#30  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

3DS. I don't have a WiiU.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ANIMEguy10034

@blaaksheep said:

i hope more characters are confirmed, would be a massive let down to miss out on them. doesn't look good though, sakurai seemed almost apologetic when talking about the roster. i would rather they push the release back if they have to

Yeah, the character selection process has been the most stressful part of development for Sakurai and his team. The daily gameplay images does prove that they're hard at work and development is near its end. Hopefully we won't have three delays, like what happened with Brawl.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#32 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034: They're having the same amount of characters right?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ANIMEguy10034

@turtlethetaffer said:

That's correct.

burn_cooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 burn_cooper
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Well i don't own a WiiU and i don't intend to, with that said, i am going to buy the 3DS version, although i have to admit the wiiU version will work 10x better then the 3DS's only because the controls just work better on the gamepad (not the shitty tablet)

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I am definitely getting it for Wii U, I'll see on the 3DS version.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pierst179
@turtlethetaffer said:

Apparently, the main difference between both - aside from the visuals - is that the stages on the WiiU version will be based on games that have shown up on home consoles, while the stages on the 3DS will be inspired by handheld titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Most likely will get the 3DS version at some point. Happy the series will finally get a handheld iteration, and that Marth will be playable.

I just don't see me buying another home console anytime soon, but if I ever did get a Wii-U later on down the line then I might get that version also. Idk.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Tokeism said:

Yup, this right here.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

I really want it for the 3DS, I just hope there no slow downs. I want a smooth experience.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

If I get one, it will be for the 3DS XL.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm definitely getting it on the Wii U, that's for certain. I might pick up the 3DS version as well though. It really doesn't seem like a series that will translate to the handheld well at all.

Wii8461

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Wii8461
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Both! Play when I'm not home and play when I'm with my friends on the TV.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

90% of the fun of SSB is playing locally with friends on the same TV. The 3DS doesn't do that. Playing SSB alone gets boring real fast.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AmazonTreeBoa

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

90% of the fun of SSB is playing locally with friends on the same TV. The 3DS doesn't do that. Playing SSB alone gets boring real fast.

You saying that makes me not want the game at all. I don't like having friends over to play games and if that is 90% of the fun, I see no reason to own the game.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

You saying that makes me not want the game at all. I don't like having friends over to play games and if that is 90% of the fun, I see no reason to own the game.

Have you not played a SSB game? That's just how I feel about it though. It's much more of a party game than a single player game. You might think differently of it.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

Both, just to see the differences.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pierst179
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

If Nintendo properly implements online features I can see how online battles will also be a blast.

But yeah, playing with friends locally is where the series' fun has always been.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AmazonTreeBoa

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Have you not played a SSB game? That's just how I feel about it though. It's much more of a party game than a single player game. You might think differently of it.

No, I have not played a SSB game before.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

This is going to be interesting to see how this game is handled at Evo (If it does make it) seeing as how there is atm no way to hook up the 3DS version to a Monitor.