whats makes a game fun.... your thoughts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Connor_DS (42 posts) -

hey. im a pretty big gamer and ive noticed that some games (on all consoles) are just plain great fun such as: Castlevania Circle of the moon for GBA, Phantom hourglass for the DS and Beautiful Katamari. these games allmost have nothing in common but they are all great and as soon as i finish them i cant wait to pick them up again.

What do you think makes a great game?

#2 Posted by foreversai (1801 posts) -

What makes a game fun? Perhaps.....
Intriguing story/plot that makes you wanna play more to unveil everything?
Interactive Gameplay which is smooth, has depth but aint too tedious to be frustrating?
Unique mechanics in the form of controls, gameplay, battle system?
Game that brings laughter and joy through multiplayer while maintaining competitiveness?

I guess there are many factors, and sometimes people just love the game overall and it's hard to pinpoint what's so fun about it xD

#3 Posted by Arclight_Blue (2830 posts) -
hmm....engaging story, excellent audio and visual presentation(doesn't have to be ground breaking though), and a gameplay that would keep you entertained till the very end
#4 Posted by justin315 (332 posts) -

hmmm... depends on what kind of game we talking bout, if its an rpg game, i would like good story, characters with personalities and relevance to the story, lots of surprises and twists, alot to uncover original and motivating gameplay, as for other games, good replay value, different angle in gaming and also originality, i dont like posers

#5 Posted by GeekyDad (1694 posts) -
Well, being someone whose first system was the Pong home console, story is not a requisite for me. A good story is only relevant with a game that is based on...well, a good story. But for me, a good game should have a good interface, and that can entail a variety of things: good controls, nice audio / visuals, creative level design -- the list goes on.
#6 Posted by TechDresdain (85 posts) -

What makes a game fun (for me)?

The way I like it. When I get interested with it. The style in playing da' game. If the Graphics is just A Okay. IF the the gameplay is good And If I can enjoy it, it'll be fun(well, duh if you obviously enjoy it, it'll be fun)......(dotx3)

#7 Posted by wiicube64 (371 posts) -
hmm....engaging story, excellent audio and visual presentation(doesn't have to be ground breaking though), and a gameplay that would keep you entertained till the very end Arclight_Blue
#8 Posted by Detroit222 (5296 posts) -
When the story is so good, the plot twists are so engaging and the mini-games are so plain fun, that I look up and realize that I've been playing for several HOURS - THAT's A GOOD GAME!
#9 Posted by thattotally (3842 posts) -

hey. im a pretty big gamer and ive noticed that some games (on all consoles) are just plain great fun such as: Castlevania Circle of the moon for GBA, Phantom hourglass for the DS and Beautiful Katamari. these games allmost have nothing in common but they are all great and as soon as i finish them i cant wait to pick them up again.

What do you think makes a great game?

Connor_DS

what makes a game fun? if it's made by Nintendo

nuff said

#10 Posted by bededog (8579 posts) -
The main thing to making a great fun game is to have it engross you into the game and take you out of reality. The game needs to reach out to you and pull you into the game. This can be done in various ways: a great engaging story, great presentation(note I didn't say great graphics), addictive gameplay.
#11 Posted by cell_dweller (19842 posts) -
I would go to General Games Discussion with this kind of topic if you don't mind :)