What do you think of the New 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

I think its pretty good but the annoying thing about the New 3DS is that they are already making games only for it and not the other 3DS models and the people who have the older models are bothered by it and I'm one of those people. The people that don't have the older 3DS models should be fine with buying the New 3DS. The New 3DS is like a quasi next gen handheld. Its just in a strange situation.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its nothing close to a next gen handheld....its just a crisper working 3D version of the original 3DS.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GameboyTroy

@KBFloYd The New 3DS actually has more power inside of it.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

The only New 3DS exclusives so far are ones that apparently can't run at all on the old hardware. Unity support was just announced for New 3DS as well for probably the same reason.

The big games will still be on the original 3DS because that's still the biggest userbase. If you really want to play the exclusives, buy the new hardware. That's how technology works.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

I am fine with the device's existence. It won't have too many must-have exclusives and it reassures me that future Nintendo handhelds will most likely get an extra nub in addition to 4 shoulder buttons, bridging the gap between the handheld and console experience. I just hope that the next handheld has a more accessible micro-SD card slot than the N3DS.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Love mine, nice and fast, and the nub is surprisingly easy to use.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I like it a lot. Everything just seems smoother and easier. The C-stick is actually kind of cool and makes certain games much easier to use.

Plus it's the Majora's Mask edition, so it's all gold and cool and shit.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GameboyTroy

@JordanElek said:

The only New 3DS exclusives so far are ones that apparently can't run at all on the old hardware. Unity support was just announced for New 3DS as well for probably the same reason.

The big games will still be on the original 3DS because that's still the biggest userbase. If you really want to play the exclusives, buy the new hardware. That's how technology works.

I'll stick with one of the old ones and play the games that work on it until whatever happens.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

What are these exclusives? I'm only aware of Xenoblade Chronicles.

GameviceJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GameviceJunkie
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

It looks amazing, still need to pick one up with Majora's!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GameboyTroy
@Bigboi500 said:

They'll make more of them in the future.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:

I think its pretty good but the annoying thing about the New 3DS is that they are already making games only for it and not the other 3DS models and the people who have the older models are bothered by it and I'm one of those people. The people that don't have the older 3DS models should be fine. The New 3DS is like a quasi next gen handheld. Its just in a strange situation.

You can´t expect for them to NOT make games for the "new" system and there´s nothing "strange" about it, bye bye the old, welcome the new. ( DS/DSi vs 3DS )

So to answer your question about what do I think about the new 3DS: it´s not "perfect" but it´s very nice improvement over the previous one, in practical terms most of the times I turned the 3D effect because it was hard for me to find the sweet spot so literally I was playing in 2D.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think the 3DS is a shining example of why I always gravitate away from handheld gaming systems anymore. If the company can't make the handheld right to begin with, and need to release several revisions over the next 5 or 10 years, it's not worth it for the consumer.

EDIT: 4/20/15 - Didn't want to seem too rude, so I thought an edit was in order.

I still don't think it's fair to consumers that Nintendo released this better version of their existing handheld, and I do think it should have had two circle pads from the start. I also think it's kind of lame that the classic model of the new 3DS is not available in the US, though I have no idea whether I would have just gone for the XL model either way.

At the same time, maybe Nintendo knows what they're doing. They've certainly gotten me talking and thinking about the new 3DS lately. They've hit my 3DS 'nostalgia' buttons. And releasing Xenoblade for the system is probably their masterstroke, since that is one game I'd really like to try.

Nintendo is king in the handheld game industry for good reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

I love it, the 3D is actually usable this time. I only played one game that make use of the C-stick ( Majora's mask ) and it works very well. The thing boot faster which is very nice. But the extra power isn't used by old game at all. Also the extra shoulder bouton aren't that useful for now maybe in Xenoblade it will be useful or in Monster Hunter ( a game that I haven't played ).

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

@GameboyTroy said:
@Bigboi500 said:

They'll make more of them in the future.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is coming to the N3DS not the original 3ds.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

I've got a Majoras Mask edition. I love it! The better 3D is awesome. I can actually have 3D on while riding the bus and shit. The little nub is awesome as well. And the looks. Damn, it's pretty.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Been doing well so far. My compliments for the system are pretty much everything that's been said so far in this thread. My only complaints are:

None of the software got any sort of upgrade (Except internet which now plays videos from nearly any site, the video and music player are pretty much the same as the were on the other versions. Still wishing Nintendo remove that 10 minute limit for videos and maybe add more visualization and file support for audio)

The 3D tend to go haywire when there's too much light or other dark objects in the background that may interfere with the sensor.

And the type of screen Nintendo chose to use really is very poor in well lit areas, particularly outside in sunlight. It becomes very difficult, but not impossible, to see the screen even with it on its brightest settings when trying to play it outside during the day. Its not a problem I've had with my normal 3DS so I'm assuming Nintendo must be using a different type of screen for their N3DS...

Those are pretty much my only complaints about the system so far...

Oh, and despite how use to the C-Stick nub I've gotten, it still sucks!...

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I bought a launch 3DS. Almost 4 years had passed by the time I bought the N3DS. It's both a large enough leap in technology AND it's been a large enough gap between my previous purchase.

If those factors aren't yet large enough for you, just wait for the "HDS" or whatever. Surely you won't have to wait too long.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

if i was buying my first 3DS today then i would buy a N3DS. it is superior in every way.

but everything i have seen about it makes me think its just not worth the upgrade. so im just going to wait for the 3DSs successor...er....thats not the new 3DS :P.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I tried a demo one playing Majora's Mask 3D in a store for about 15 mins or so. I fail to see how the 3D has improved, but maybe that's a bad example or I didn't play enough. Slightly better maybe but for a system with the word "3D" in the title (not just as a side feature), I'm still not impressed at all. I love my original 3DS but I almost never have the 3D on. I think they should ditch the 3D personally, and go for an HD screen

srebmunahcnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 srebmunahcnub
Member since 2015 • 70 Posts

its a scam

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@amyh7292 said:

I tried a demo one playing Majora's Mask 3D in a store for about 15 mins or so. I fail to see how the 3D has improved, but maybe that's a bad example or I didn't play enough. Slightly better maybe but for a system with the word "3D" in the title (not just as a side feature), I'm still not impressed at all. I love my original 3DS but I almost never have the 3D on. I think they should ditch the 3D personally, and go for an HD screen

It may have been the demo NN3DS. The one I own works extremely well in the 3D department with it only fluttering when I look away extremely fast or it is too bright out.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#23 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

It's OK, some of its features should have been in the 3DS from the get-go. I'm happy with my original 3DS though; I won't consider an N3DS unless too many exclusives come out for it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bigboi500

Works extremely well with MH4U and Majora's Mask.

Smallville0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Smallville0608
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

Had a 3DS XL, upgraded to the NEW 3DS, and could not be happier. Much improved, use it everyday.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I'm sure it's better. Obviously, or they wouldn't have upgraded it. But I think it's more like- if you don't have a 3DS, sure buy the new one, otherwise why would you upgrade? It's not different enough to me to see the point of getting the newest one for an eraser knob "joystick" and sort of better 3D that I'll turn off anyway because who actually enjoys the 3D?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Great..its what the 3DS should have been from the beginning. :P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bigboi500

@amyh7292 said:

who actually enjoys the 3D?

me

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By elheber

@amyh7292: I usually play with 3D on (even Smash Bros online). Some games, like Xenoblade, have very poor depth so I just leave it off on that one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I've heard a couple of people mention that the 3D is better this time around? What does that mean exactly?

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 elheber

@Ovirew said:

I've heard a couple of people mention that the 3D is better this time around? What does that mean exactly?

The 3D is the same, with the exception that it's more stable. The sweet spot now moves left/right to follow your eyes so you don't have to hold the handheld with superhuman stability.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@elheber said:

@Ovirew said:

The 3D is the same, with the exception that it's more stable. The sweet spot now moves left/right to follow your eyes so you don't have to hold the handheld with superhuman stability.

Oh I see. Yeah, I remember if you shifted the 3DS slightly, the 3D effect was kind of 'lost'. Well that's cool, so now I guess you could be watching someone else play the 3DS and be able to see the 3D from beside them?

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 elheber

@Ovirew said:

Oh I see. Yeah, I remember if you shifted the 3DS slightly, the 3D effect was kind of 'lost'. Well that's cool, so now I guess you could be watching someone else play the 3DS and be able to see the 3D from beside them?

It doesn't work that way, no. The 3DS will track only one person's eyes, so it will not work for anyone looking over your shoulder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@elheber: It tracks your eyes? o.O

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 elheber

@Ovirew Indeed. It's got an infrared light in the front right next to the camera meant to cause the "red-eye photo" effect, and uses that with the camera to track your eye position.