What controller should I buy for playing N64 and Gamecube games on the Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts

Just wondering what controller I need to buy to be able to play N64 and Gamecube games on the Wii's Virtual Console.

I have heard that the WaveBird is the best option but that it is hard to find.

If I can't find a WaveBird, what should I get?

Thanks for any info.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
You can only use the Gamecube controller for Gamecube games so it would appear that your choice is made for you.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jason_A
You can only use the Gamecube controller for Gamecube games so it would appear that your choice is made for you.Jaysonguy
Oh, so is the Gamecube controller the best option because it will work for all Virtual Console Games? Is the Gamecube controller readily available at store? Also, I saw some Wii type controller (i.e. it's all white) that you can buy that looks like it might be made for Vritual Console games because it has lots of buttons etc. and looks like a Gamecube type controller - anyone know anything about this?
Thebettafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thebettafish
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

Wavebirds aren't hard to find, I see them in best buy all the time. Try Gamestop if you can't find it there. IMO, they're pretty much the way to go.

-Betta

JERMINITIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 JERMINITIS
Member since 2007 • 1517 Posts

Just wondering what controller I need to buy to be able to play N64 and Gamecube games on the Wii's Virtual Console.

Thanks for any info.

Jason_A

Actual Gamecube controllers (wired) are around $20 new, and the wireless are around $25 new. I've seen some knockoffs for as low as $9.95. My suggestion is buy the quality wireless. You already gotta have AA batteries for the Wii remotes, so there you go. Check Wal-Mart, they usually have tons of Gamecube controllers.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]You can only use the Gamecube controller for Gamecube games so it would appear that your choice is made for you.Jason_A
Oh, so is the Gamecube controller the best option because it will work for all Virtual Console Games? Is the Gamecube controller readily available at store? Also, I saw some Wii type controller (i.e. it's all white) that you can buy that looks like it might be made for Vritual Console games because it has lots of buttons etc. and looks like a Gamecube type controller - anyone know anything about this?

That would be the classic controller. In my opinion the Wii remote is best for NES/turbo-16 games, the Classic controller is best for SNES/Genesis and the Gamecube controller is best for N64 games. You have to use a Gamecube controller for for gamecube games. The classic controller has a better D-pad and button layout similiar to the SNES, but the Gamecube's analog sticks are better for 3D games. But both the classic controller and gamecube controller will work for every VC game. Also just in case you didn't know (I couldn't tell by the way you wrote it) the gamecube is not on the virtual console, you have to use GC disks and have a GC controller and memory card to play them. I say you should get one of each.
fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
I believe the Classic Controller (the white one with a lot of buttons) can play all virtual console games, but I personally prefer the feel of the GC controller
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts
[QUOTE="Jason_A"]

Thanks for any info.

You can't play with the Gamecube Controller only if it is a gamecube game.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="SSBFan12"][QUOTE="Jason_A"]

Thanks for any info.

You can't play with the Gamecube Controller only if it is a gamecube game.

What are you saying? Are you saying you can't play with the GCN controller unless its a GCN game? Thats not right at all... theres many disc based Wii games that support GCN controller controls. Including, but not limited to, SSBB and MKWii.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jason_A

Ok, so is it really the case that the Wii Classic Controller works for all Virtual Console games but will not work for Gamecube games BUT the Gamecube controller (the regular one or the wireless one called the Wavebird) will work for both Virtual Console games and for Gamecube games?

If so, then I guess its a no-brainer that you would want to buy the Gamecube controller rather than the Classic Wii Conroller since the Gamecube controller does everything the Wii Classic controller does and more. Is this right?

But what about actual Wii games that can be played with a controller (like Super Smash Bros.). I am guessing that both the Classic Wii Conroller and the Gamecube controller would work for these games. Is this right?

Wolblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Wolblade
Member since 2008 • 986 Posts

Ok, so is it really the case that the Wii Classic Controller works for all Virtual Console games but will not work for Gamecube games BUT the Gamecube controller (the regular one or the wireless one called the Wavebird) will work for both Virtual Console games and for Gamecube games?

If so, then I guess its a no-brainer that you would want to buy the Gamecube controller rather than the Classic Wii Conroller since the Gamecube controller does everything the Wii Classic controller does and more. Is this right?

But what about actual Wii games that can be played with a controller (like Super Smash Bros.). I am guessing that both the Classic Wii Conroller and the Gamecube controller would work for these games. Is this right?

Jason_A

Yes, games like SSBB can use the Classic controller, GameCube controller, Wii Remote (turned side-ways), and the Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo. For any Virtual Console game, you can see what controllers are compatible with the games. Same goes with Wii games, just look at the back of the box in the upper-right corner.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts
[QUOTE="Jason_A"]

Wolblade

Yes, games like SSBB can use the Classic controller, GameCube controller, Wii Remote (turned side-ways), and the Wii Remote/Nunchuck combo. For any Virtual Console game, you can see what controllers are compatible with the games. Same goes with Wii games, just look at the back of the box in the upper-right corner.

Yeah you can use a Gamecube controller for pretty much anything. Just keep in mind that although the controller is compatible with every game it doesn't work very well with many games due to the horrible d-pad and button placement. Games like Mario World and Donkey Kong Country are really hard as it's almost impossible to run due to where the buttons are. All 2D games are a little harder due to the tiny d-pad, you can use the analogue stick but its not ideal. The Gamecube controller works great for N64 games and Smash Bros, but not on much else. I would at least buy a 3rd party GC controller for like $5 and also get a used classic controller ($15)and you'd be all set.

Tim_Drake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Tim_Drake
Member since 2004 • 520 Posts
Yeah I got a Gamecube for both N64 and all the other games but after a while the controller doesn't feel so good when playing Streets of Rage so I ended up buying more Nintendo stuff with the Classic Controller.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jason_A

I just read the Gamespot review for the Wii Geometry Wars game and it mentions that the game can be played with the Wii motion controller OR with the Wii Classic Controller BUT that even though it supports the Wii Classic Controller, it does not support the Gamecube controller!

So for at least some Wii games that support the Wii Classic Controller, they may not support the Gamecube controller!