What are some must have DS games that I should buy my son for christmas??

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spicoli420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spicoli420
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

I'm planning on buying my son a DS for christmas and would like some feedback as to the games I should get. He's currently playing Bully and Call of Duty: World at war on the 360 but likes all sorts of games. Puzzle games are always good and we like educational games too. He's in first grade but enjoys a wide range of games so game content is not of concern. Thanks in advance:)

Sophia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sophia
Member since 2003 • 567 Posts
Are you actually saying that your son is about 6 or 7 years old and is playing Call of Duty but you want him to branch out and play more puzzle/educational games? O_O
spicoli420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 spicoli420
:) no, what I'm saying is that he's open minded and mature enough to enjoy all sorts of games from spongebob to call of duty. I'm looking for good games all around, not just age specific titles.
Avatar image for lamborghini1134
lamborghini1134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lamborghini1134
Member since 2007 • 993 Posts
Mario kart ds, i'm 12 turning 13 in 2 months and i love this game.:P
Sophia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sophia
Member since 2003 • 567 Posts
Professor Layton and the Curious Village has a lot of great brain teasers with an interesting story to boot. I had fun with the Brain Age game and Big Brain Academy was fun with other people. Tetris DS is good too, Mario Kart DS, New Super Marios Bros... depends on what he likes, there's a lot!
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
If you want to give him a little videogame history you can't go wrong with Chrono Trigger for the DS. It's very suitable as a "my first RPG".
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
Puzzle Quest Mario Kart Animal Crossing Worms Open Warfare 2 The World Ends With You These are a few of my favorites that pretty much anyone can enjoy.
canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 canary7
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts

I'm planning on buying my son a DS for christmas and would like some feedback as to the games I should get. He's currently playing Bully and Call of Duty: World at war on the 360 but likes all sorts of games. Puzzle games are always good and we like educational games too. He's in first grade but enjoys a wide range of games so game content is not of concern. Thanks in advance:)

spicoli420
Professor Layton And The Curious Village Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
PS2Dude89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 PS2Dude89
Member since 2004 • 1747 Posts
I have CoD WaW and I must say that is not a great game for a 1st grader to play. I am by no means telling you how to parent your child but that is a very mature title. I am getting a DS for Christmas to I believe and I'm really interested in Chrono Trigger, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Advance Wras Day of Ruin, and Luminous Arc. Those are some ideas, I got some variety in there to.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Yeah. I played it for the first time at my big bro's house and there was swearing, guys getting their throats slit, soldiers getting blown in half, and more swearing. Likewise, I have no say on telling anyone how to be a parent, but IF I was a parent, I would never let my kids play these things, especially that young.
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

take him to the next level! Dementium:The Ward

and what about doki doki majo shinpan??? :P jkjkjk

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

spicoli420
AM I SEEING RIGHT!?!?!??!?!?! BULLY! THAT"S LIKE TOOOO YOUNG FOR A KID LIKE HIM!!!!!!!!! Befor you know it he'll be playing Grand Theft Auto next year...... I hope your son will turn out like a good child
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
I was just thinking about GTA China Town Wars and how it has a drug-dealing mini-game in it. Just a thought.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
New Super Mario Bros. Worms Open Warfare 2 Sonic Rush Adventure
Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Cobalt_Spartan
Member since 2008 • 326 Posts

I suggest Prince of Persia Fallen King. It's quite a nice action/adventure game. There's puzzle elements in it too, kinda.

Sonic Rush (1 or 2),

Phantom Hourglass,

and Meteos, a nice puzzle game

Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cobalt_Spartan
Member since 2008 • 326 Posts
One of My friends is 13 and he can't play CoD WaW. He's still trying to persuade hi parents.
Nanu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Nanu-
Member since 2008 • 873 Posts

spicoli420

Its ok for your son to play those games but always with the specified control over him. Also would games for him would be:

Professor Layton And The Curious Village.

Chrono Trigger.

Mario Kart DS

and some Brain Age games

spicoli420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spicoli420

Thanks for the parenting advice and of course the game titles. My son will "turn out" just fine.........not based on me filtering worldly content but based on me providing him with a huge amount of love.

membership1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 membership1
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
sonic rush mario kart zelda new mrio bros mario 64ds ........
blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#22 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
He will love mario cart!
Albusz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Albusz
Member since 2008 • 28 Posts
New super mario bros & Mariokart
Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts
If you can find it, get Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. Great for kids, and lowered to only 15$.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts

N+

Planet Puzzle League

Pokemon games

Tetris DS

Meteos

Donkey Kong vs Mario

danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC PANDA.
Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tailscoolio
Member since 2006 • 443 Posts

Puzzle quest is fun and easy, mario kart is good for everyone, Animal crossing is also very good... ummm... TWEWY is great, but it might be a bit confusing to younger gamers, Mario and luigi: Partners in time is great, and Yoshi touch and go! is a nice pick up and play game...

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Hmmm.... Tetris DS -puzzle game Mario Kart DS -racing game New Super Mario Bros. -platforming game Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - adventure game Professor Layton - puzzle game (Although there are some really challenging puzzles but you could help him out with that)
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Mario Crack... I mean Kart.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
Are you actually saying that your son is about 6 or 7 years old and is playing Call of Duty?Sophia
you forgot bully O_o i find these games slightly dangerous for small kids, buuut...
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts
"Call of Duty" for a seven-year-old??? Dude, what's WRONG with you? That game has a clearly marked "T" rating...
PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

"Call of Duty" for a seven-year-old??? Dude, what's WRONG with you? That game has a clearly marked "T" rating... ston3henge

Actually, World at War is M (a really violent one, too). To be quite honest, i doubt much will happen to the kid. All the "accidents related" to video games (i use quotations because it literally is crap that you can blame this stuff on media) is wrong. Those who either kill others or suicide had other things wrong with them.

As for game ideas, Mario Kart is good. Castlevania games i found to have to be very fun. New Super Mario Bros. is amazing (you can't go wrong with a Mario platformer).

spicoli420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spicoli420
Most of you are pretty comical in your response to underage videogaming. You are obviously affected by the media's attention to kids and violent games. Your parents restricted you from violent games so your passing that same stance down. Your now a professional in the "whats appropriate for kids" category. Let me say it again, games won't affect my son........movies won't affect my son........music won't affect my son in any negative way. He is the most caring sensitive little boy that loves his parent, little sister and playing violent videogames:)
FatPurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 FatPurry
Member since 2008 • 462 Posts
I think Zeala Phantom Hourglass will be a good game with all the great puzzles anyone would like it.
Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
Every kid loves pokemon :D just show him the cartoon, and he will be hooked for life
gamefaqsifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamefaqsifier
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I say you shouldn't buy him a DS and instead get him bike or something of the sort because you know that when the new DSi comes out in 2009 he will forget about the DS you just bought him and be begging you for a new DSi. :cry:

But if you really want to buy him a DS here are some good games:

Trackmania (racing)

Metal Slug 7 (shooting)

Proffesor Layton and the Curious Village (puzzle)

The Legend of Zelda and the Phantom hourglass (action/adventure)

Well at least those are my favorites.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]"Call of Duty" for a seven-year-old??? Dude, what's WRONG with you? That game has a clearly marked "T" rating... PEELEDbanana

Actually, World at War is M (a really violent one, too). To be quite honest, i doubt much will happen to the kid. All the "accidents related" to video games (i use quotations because it literally is crap that you can blame this stuff on media) is wrong. Those who either kill others or suicide had other things wrong with them.

As for game ideas, Mario Kart is good. Castlevania games i found to have to be very fun. New Super Mario Bros. is amazing (you can't go wrong with a Mario platformer).

Actually, I HAVE THE GAME CASE FOR WaW IN FRONT OF ME RIGHT NOW, and it is clearly rated "T", not "M". And where did you get your "facts" concerning the psychological composition of mentally unstable people as they relate to video game playing? The rating system is in place for a reason. Your armchair therapist assessments hold no water, either.

Check your facts before you correct someone, sonny-boy.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
[QUOTE="PEELEDbanana"]

[QUOTE="ston3henge"]"Call of Duty" for a seven-year-old??? Dude, what's WRONG with you? That game has a clearly marked "T" rating... ston3henge

Actually, I HAVE THE GAME CASE FOR WaW IN FRONT OF ME RIGHT NOW, and it is clearly rated "T", not "M". And where did you get your "facts" concerning the psychological composition of mentally unstable people as they relate to video game playing? The rating system is in place for a reason. Your armchair therapist assessments hold no water, either.

Actually, he's right. It is rated M.

cover

So maybe you check your game case before correcting someone? :P

As for the debate about whether this is appropriate for children... ESRB guidelines are just that: guidelines. It is ultimately left up to the parent to decide what games are appropriate for their child. Usually people don't let children in the single digits see violent movies and games because it scares them and gives them nightmares. If, however, this kid is not getting scared from it (and also is not acting out the violence on other kids) - and that doesn't seem to be a problem from the TC's replies - then really, there's no reason to object to his parental decision.

canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 canary7
[QUOTE="ston3henge"][QUOTE="PEELEDbanana"]

clicketyclick

Actually, he's right. It is rated M.

cover

So maybe you check your game case before correcting someone? :P

As for the debate about whether this is appropriate for children... ESRB guidelines are just that: guidelines. It is ultimately left up to the parent to decide what games are appropriate for their child. Usually people don't let children in the single digits see violent movies and games because it scares them and gives them nightmares. If, however, this kid is not getting scared from it (and also is not acting out the violence on other kids) - and that doesn't seem to be a problem from the TC's replies - then really, there's no reason to object to his parental decision.

WRONG! It's "T" for Teen! It clearly states it!:P

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clicketyclick
WRONG! It's "T" for Teen! It clearly states it!:P

canary7
Read the OP. The TC said: "He's currently playing Bully and Call of Duty: World at war on the 360"
canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 canary7
[QUOTE="canary7"]WRONG! It's "T" for Teen! It clearly states it!:P

clicketyclick
Read the OP. The TC said: "He's currently playing Bully and Call of Duty: World at war on the 360"

Oops...I thought they were all rated the same. Thank for correcting me.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clicketyclick
[ Oops...I thought they were all rated the same. Thank for correcting me.canary7
Don't worry about it. :) I guess it's harder to illustrate graphic evisceration on a teensy screen. :P
0rbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 0rbs
Member since 2007 • 1947 Posts
Advance Wars, either one, Phoenix Wright, all of them, Pokemon's, Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Mario Kart, and Chronotrigger.
Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Tailscoolio

...Let me say it again, games won't affect my son........movies won't affect my son........music won't affect my son in any negative way. He is the most caring sensitive little boy that loves his parent, little sister and playing violent videogames:)spicoli420

This.

Katinkia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Katinkia

[QUOTE="spicoli420"]...Let me say it again, games won't affect my son........movies won't affect my son........music won't affect my son in any negative way. He is the most caring sensitive little boy that loves his parent, little sister and playing violent videogames:)Tailscoolio

This.

You don't know that. How on earth do you know? I have a 6 yr old too and I wouldn't let him play violent games. There's plenty of time for that when he is older. At the moment he likes super mario bros and lego batman on the DS.
Tailscoolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tailscoolio
[QUOTE="Tailscoolio"]

[QUOTE="spicoli420"]...Let me say it again, games won't affect my son........movies won't affect my son........music won't affect my son in any negative way. He is the most caring sensitive little boy that loves his parent, little sister and playing violent videogames:)Katinkia

This.

You don't know that. How on earth do you know? I have a 6 yr old too and I wouldn't let him play violent games. There's plenty of time for that when he is older. At the moment he likes super mario bros and lego batman on the DS.

To be honest, if you really worry too much about the mental health of your children, then you're not thinging about it properly. If a person shows signs of violent or aggressive behaviour then sure... you can stop them playing games; but there's no proof that its the games that do this to people, it could be angry parents looking for someone else to blame...

Not to mention, people don't just go PING! and then they're a murderer, gaming might not be the cause of aggression in some gamers, but if it is... then treat gaming like alchohol and make sure everyone drinks responisibly...

Katinkia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Katinkia
[QUOTE="Katinkia"][QUOTE="Tailscoolio"]

This.

Tailscoolio

To be honest, if you really worry too much about the mental health of your children, then you're not thinging about it properly. If a person shows signs of violent or aggressive behaviour then sure... you can stop them playing games; but there's no proof that its the games that do this to people, it could be angry parents looking for someone else to blame...

Not to mention, people don't just go PING! and then they're a murderer, gaming might not be the cause of aggression in some gamers, but if it is... then treat gaming like alchohol and make sure everyone drinks responisibly...

THats not what I meant. I should have been more clear. My concern with these games and small children is mainly nightmares and such which you can't predict or do much about once the damage is done. I don't see why small children need to be playing these games and when I do, I mostly see parents who can't be bothered arguing with their kids and being authorative.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
[QUOTE="Tailscoolio"][QUOTE="Katinkia"] You don't know that. How on earth do you know? I have a 6 yr old too and I wouldn't let him play violent games. There's plenty of time for that when he is older. At the moment he likes super mario bros and lego batman on the DS.Katinkia

THats not what I meant. I should have been more clear. My concern with these games and small children is mainly nightmares and such which you can't predict or do much about once the damage is done. I don't see why small children need to be playing these games and when I do, I mostly see parents who can't be bothered arguing with their kids and being authorative.

These games can actually have the reverse effect on nightmares. When I was little my dad let me play Wolfenstein 3d or possibly DOOM (I played both I just can't remember which came first) whichever one was the new big game at the time. According to him, I pretty much stopped having nightmares after playing that. Something about being able to kill the baddies made something click in my head.

I'm not offering any parenting advice I'm just stating my experience as a child.

iEatmudkipz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 iEatmudkipz
Member since 2008 • 55 Posts

hop off the man's dick and let him raise his child the way he wants to....

good games to get for the ds

the world ends with you

hotel dusk

pheonix wright

lumious arc

any mario game

any megaman game

asphalt racing is good.

custom robo arena