thebigblackcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 thebigblackcat
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I just bought a 3DS and have no games for it, other than my old DS-games. I've looked at Fire Emblem Awakening, pokemon alpha sapphire, a link between worlds and some more games. I do like pokemon (especially competitive battling), but I didn't really like X&Y.

I'm just worried that I'm tired of the series because I don't find the story interesting (it is written for young children so there's no depth really..), the battles are okay but often times too easy and simply repetitive (and yes, I don't use Exp.share and I like being underleveled) and while I do enjoy competitive battling, the website "pokemon showdown" is better to use when you just want quick battles. I also tried the special demo and, man, it just proved how simple the games can be. My comments about this game may seem shocking seeing as I really like the series (I've played all the main-games, watched the animé and even read some of the manga!). I guess I'm just tired of the series, but I still like the pokémon though..

I also tried the Fire Emblem Awakening demo, and while it was interesting to experience something new since I haven't played any previous fire emblem games, I don't think it would entertain me that much (I may be wrong though, the demo only covered the first 2 chapters or something). The story that was introduced didn't get me excited. I don't know, maybe it's just myself who critizes the game too much and too quickly.

I haven't played any zelda game, ever. I do find a link between worlds (based on the trailers) to be somewhat exciting and fun, but I'm not sure.

To be honest, I haven't played a "good" game that I've really enjoyed in like a year or two, and that's not a joke. Now, maybe it's because I critizise games too much, and to that I say, well maybe. But I hope you all can prove me that I'm wrong and give me some suggestions on games!

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

All three Legend of Zeldas for the 3DS: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask & A Link Between Worlds are worth your time.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is amazing.

Shin Megami Tensei IV is fantastic.

Bravely Default is terrific.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is superb.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth is awesome.

Those games should get you going and bring you back as well.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Skip Alpha Sapphire. It feels like a Hoenn expansion to X & Y, just as easy, and the only good thing to come out of it is how more convenient it is to breed (competitive) pokemon and fill up the pokedex.

IMO, Fire Emblem Awakening is still the best game on 3DS. Good story, fantastic presentation and production value, addictive gameplay, and it can be incredibly challenging if playing on 'Classic' perma-death mode.

A Link Between Worlds is my personal top #2 3DS game, and one of the best Zelda games created. It can be a little on the easy side, but the gameplay and puzzles are absolutely brilliant and you're given a lot of freedom.

-------------------------------

Other suggestions:

Shovel Knight - Brilliant retro 8-bit platformer.

Animal Crossing New Leaf - Life simulator with bite-sized daily events for those who wants to sit back and relax.

Super Mario 3D World - Best 3D platformer on the system.

Bravely Default - Classic turn-based JRPG with some unique mechanics. Gives off that old Final Fantasy vibe.

Smash Bros 3DS - If you don't have a Wii U, pick this version up.

Mario Kart 7 - If you don't have a Wii U, pick this version up.

Kid Icarus Uprising - I don't know how to properly describe this game, but it's pretty damn fun. Great on-rails shooter with (somewhat clunky) land combat, dozens of weapons, witty characters, great voice acting, good story, and probably one of the best reboots in recent memory. Online is fun as well.

Shin Megami Tensei 4 - A great, but brutally challenging JRPG. 'Nuff said.

Etrian Odyssey 4 - Fan of first person dungeon crawling JRPGs? This is it.

Persona Q - If Persona had a baby with Etrian Odyssey, this will be it. It stars the colorful characters of Persona 3 & 4 with the general dungeon crawling gameplay of Etrian Odyssey.

Phoenix Wright Trilogy - If you haven't played the first 3 games on DS or Wii.

Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies - "Objection!" in glorious 3D

Any Professor Layton game - I hope you like puzzles 'cos there's one at every corner. Literally.

EDIT: (How could I forget this gem?!)

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - Action RPG solely consisting of over 70 unique, challenging bosses. It has incredibly deep combat, a crap ton of customization from armors and weapons, immense replay value and its co-op multiplayer (either local or online) delivering some of the most fun and rewarding moments you've ever experienced. Only downsides are its massive learning curve and you'll end up grinding a lot (if you're not into that kind of stuff). Try the demo. It's incredibly addictive.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Like the others have said Fire Emblem, Zelda: A link between worlds, SMTIV, and Persona Q are brilliant. Again, it was mentioned before, but Shovel Knight is absolutely amazing. My favorite game from last year.

thebigblackcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By thebigblackcat
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Zen_Light: Thank you for your suggestions!

@ANIMEguy10034: Amazing list with great descriptions to each and every game, thank you! I also liked your comment about Alpha Sapphire, it really doesn't excite me enough to buy it, especially considering that there are several new games that I haven't even tried yet to discover. I think that I'll pick up 'Fire Emblem Awakening' or 'Zelda: A link between worlds' first, as they seem fun (even though the 'FE: A' demo didn't really excite me with the story, I think that I need to play more in order to really discover the story that a lot of people seem to like). But Shovel Knight also seems fun, and Mario Kart 7 looks great according to me :)

@yokofox33: Thanks for the reply! Yeah I definitely need to buy 'FE: A', 'Zelda: ALBTW' and Shovel Knight, they look more fun than 'PKMN: AS' :)

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

If you don't keep an open mind, you won't enjoy your 3DS. 10 years ago, I used to care quite a lot about stories. My pen and paper RPGs sessions were filled with drama and plot twists and Planescape: Torment was my favorite video game because, well, that is what that game does best.

I miss playing DnD and Planescape: Torment is still great, but A Link Between Worlds is now my favorite video game ever and it barely has a story. Take the time to appreciate all the ingenious mechanics and level design and you'll have a great time with your 3DS, its Zeldas, its Fire Emblems and all its other fantastic games.