Wait until after E3 (N's direct) to give up hope on the U.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I am starting to feel a little down about the support Nintendo is giving the Wii U. I have enjoyed the system a lot but I hope they don't just do as little as possible to get by until the next system. I still have faith though that Nintendo will show off some stuff everyone has been waiting for at E3, perhaps a new IP. If they do not bring anything to get super hyped about, excluding Zelda U, I will be let down by my purchase somewhat. So I think this E3 or direct will be very critical for its future.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

But this is the year that I started caring about the Wii U; they've already announced titles (that haven't been released) to make me excited.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The writing is on the wall for the Wii U, Nintendo's already starting to shy away from supporting it.

We'll see the usual E3 from Nintendo, stuff that's not ready right now that can't help the console.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 juboner

@Jaysonguy: I'm hoping they have been keeping quiet to make a bigger impact and get people excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

I'm not worried, in fact i'm confident Wii U will be the best Nintendo console ever. It's already got the best Pikmin and DK games ever made, plus it doubles as a Wii. I love it already.

I think Nintendo is going to bring the games hard at e3. I think Zelda won't disappoint (they know how disappointing SS was), and I think they'll have some huge surprises as well. And when Bayonetta 2 comes out i'll be glued to that thing.

Think about Wii U with an open mind - how everything has drastically improved since the launch, and it's only been a little over a year.. AND Nintendo had to get over the hump of moving to HD in that year, but they're over it now. I think Wii U is going to be loaded with incredible games by the end of the generation. Nintendo isn't Sega, they won't throw the Wii U in the trash, they'll support it until 2017 at the very least.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 juboner

@Chozofication: Lol your the total opposite of @Jaysonguy. I was going to get a 3ds XL instead but went with the U bc I thought they would turn it around. They still need to do more and I think your right, they will deliver at E3.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@juboner: I think e3's going to be pretty solid. There's already a pretty strong list of announced titles, plus we've gotten confirmation Zelda U will be present in some capacity, most people assuming it will be a full reveal. I think a new Star Fox for Wii U is going to be shown off. I don't really know why, I just have a strong feeling.

Really, the biggest concern I have for e3 is that Nintendo will spend a large portion of their presentation focusing on titles we've already seen plenty of. I know Smash Bros. is their big holiday title, but we've already had a 40 minute Direct focused solely on the game, so I really don't think we need to see more of it, besides getting a firm release date and a new trailer that shows off a new character.

Here's to hoping for a new Pokemon Snap.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Sorry, but I gave up hope after last years E3. The only titles I have any interest in that's coming for Wii U is MK8 and SSB.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I'll wait until after E3, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I did before.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

list of games they could talk about

monoliths X

yoshi yarn

smt x fire emblem

smash bros

hyrule warriors

sonic boom

bayonetta 2

one piece unlimited world

not to mention the 3DS....

idk know how much new stuff they will announce...if any.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

There will be a few good things no doubt, but Nintendo doesn't know what the hell they're doing with the Wii U. Like the recent Miiverse update lol, it was broken before but now its like they are stabbing it. And I believe Nintendo is doing a press conference this year not another Nintendo Direct...As for this new IP crap, people have gotta get off that. That wont save or help anything. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 you can count as one, X but the thing about new IP's is this isn't the SNES days anymore, a new IP these days is a huge risk, only Indie Devs and 3rd parties can really do them easily these days. But you are forgetting Miyamoto's mystery IP. Wonderful 101 flopped hard, the thing about new IP's is there is no fanbase and such so its harder to be a success. What Nintendo needs game wise is the past, STARFOX, F-Zero and such.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools

@juboner:

Nintendo is always quiet going into E3.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Master_Of_Fools said:

There will be a few good things no doubt, but Nintendo doesn't know what the hell they're doing with the Wii U. Like the recent Miiverse update lol, it was broken before but now its like they are stabbing it. And I believe Nintendo is doing a press conference this year not another Nintendo Direct...As for this new IP crap, people have gotta get off that. That wont save or help anything. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 you can count as one, X but the thing about new IP's is this isn't the SNES days anymore, a new IP these days is a huge risk, only Indie Devs and 3rd parties can really do them easily these days. But you are forgetting Miyamoto's mystery IP. Wonderful 101 flopped hard, the thing about new IP's is there is no fanbase and such so its harder to be a success. What Nintendo needs game wise is the past, STARFOX, F-Zero and such.

Star Fox is going to be at e3. I have a gut feeling. As for new IP, I'm in agreement that Nintendo doesn't exactly need it, but what's keeping people excited is knowing that Miyamoto is working on new IP. That name still carries a huge amount of expectation, and while new IP is a huge risk, knowing who's making it helps move a lot more units. While we're not supposed to talk about other consoles, I'm going to point out The Last of Us. New IP at the tail end of a console generation, but it received a ludicrous amount of hype because Naughty Dog was developing it. A new title from Miyamoto can have the same effect on the Nintendo audience, depending on what it is (and that's not another Wii Music, obviously). So, as far as new IP from Nintendo, it's Miyamoto's new game that has everyone excited. I don't want new IP for the sake of having new IP. I want something that exemplifies everything Nintendo's known for.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts
@Jaysonguy said:

The writing is on the wall for the Wii U, Nintendo's already starting to shy away from supporting it.

We'll see the usual E3 from Nintendo, stuff that's not ready right now that can't help the console.

I agree with this guy (quoting is as close to an upvote as I can get :P )

E3 is Wii U's judgment day, TBH. I also wonder if Nintendo will even put on a show - last year's approach may become their new MO, particularly because the U is in such dire straits (hard to convince the suits to show up and tout the 3DS for an hour and absorb the cost when a direct would serve the same purpose and more effectively).

To be frank, the fact that Nintendo is seemingly prioritizing the 3DS version of SSB tells you all you need to know about how Nintendo feels internally about the Wii U.

Just gimme Bayonetta 2, X, and more of the same 1st-party goodness and I'll feel good about mine. But there's no turning it around - hopefully Nintendo can salvage what they can of their investment by operating the Wii U at a profit (much like the GC) but it's gonna continue to be a retail pariah.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

list of games they could talk about

• monoliths X
  • yoshi yarn
  • smt x fire emblem
  • smash bros
  • hyrule warriors
  • sonic boom
  • bayonetta 2
  • one piece unlimited world

not to mention the 3DS....

idk know how much new stuff they will announce...if any.

There is also Miyamoto's new project that has been whispered about every now and then. We might get a glimpse at what Retro has started working on.

Nintendo trademarked S.T.E.A.M. earlier this year, which sounds like it's supposed to be an alien shooter. I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, since trademarks don't necessarily mean Nintendo will act. They renewed the TM for Eternal Darkenss, but continue to mothball it. Even if they do show something regarding the subject, it could be canned - much like Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

I'd really like to see Watch Dogs running on Wii U and get some details on system specific features.

Any surprise from 3rd parties is welcome.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm not concerned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'd have to say, going by past trends, that we already know pretty much everything that is on the horizon for the Wii-U right now. All of those games the rest of you have listed here? That's pretty much what one should expect to hear more about come E3 time. Those are the games you will see this year. At best.

I have a feeling that we will finally see a gameplay trailer for the Zelda Wii-U game this Summer, because that is a game the company has been working on for a while now, and one that they probably have given the highest priority to in light of poor Wii-U sales. I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and assume that this will actually turn out to be a really good Zelda game, since a lot is riding on Nintendo turning things around with the Wii-U. But the game would probably be a Holiday release.

Still - when you throw in X, Yoshi's Yarn, Bayonetta 2 and SMT Vs. FE, that could make for a pretty decent Wii-U line-up this year. I just wouldn't expect too much in the way of surprises right now. But we'll see.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Ovirew said:

I have a feeling that we will finally see a gameplay trailer for the Zelda Wii-U game this Summer, because that is a game the company has been working on for a while now, and one that they probably have given the highest priority to in light of poor Wii-U sales. I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and assume that this will actually turn out to be a really good Zelda game, since a lot is riding on Nintendo turning things around with the Wii-U. But the game would probably be a Holiday release.

Wait, you think that Zelda will be released this year?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@Ovirew said:

Wait, you think that Zelda will be released this year?

Well, like you have been saying for some time now Jaysonguy, Nintendo needs to do "something" to turn around their utter and complete failure that is the Wii-U. I can't think of a better "something" Nintendo could possibly do right about now, to improve the outlook for the rest of 2014.

I'm just trying to be logical about it. I'm not sure what other kinds of tricks Nintendo could pull out of their hat by the end of the year that would improve things for the Wii-U. Otherwise, Nintendo is just putting all of their hopes on Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. They need some sort of surprise to gain back some of the attention during E3.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Has Nintendo said they were going to be at e3 with an actual stage presentation? Or are they going to do an e3 direct like last year?

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Yeah that's perfectly fine, although TLOU was no where near as good as everyone says. Its story was good but gameplay wise it was a clone of Uncharted. Can Naughty Dog not make a game that's realistic and has guns in it and violence? Lets see them make a cartoony game.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Master_Of_Fools

@Jaysonguy:

Oh yeah it will be no doubt. Unless the typical 1 year Zelda delay happens.

Edward-Snowden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Edward-Snowden
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@juboner said:

I am starting to feel a little down about the support Nintendo is giving the Wii U. I have enjoyed the system a lot but I hope they don't just do as little as possible to get by until the next system. I still have faith though that Nintendo will show off some stuff everyone has been waiting for at E3, perhaps a new IP. If they do not bring anything to get super hyped about, excluding Zelda U, I will be let down by my purchase somewhat. So I think this E3 or direct will be very critical for its future.

I kind of do too my friend! And have I met you before? It is really well obvious that Nintendo is shying away from the WiiU, when it's only beginning to improve! The only way they will do well in the future is following the requests of their fans and start doing what they did during the SNES era to become great again! Like making more quality IP's and re introduce old ones (StarFox and F-Zero as an example) to the WiiU. Also maybe change their marketing and advertising tactics to make them better in the eyes of the general public. Or maybe even convince third-party companies to give the WiiU third-party support by making the pro controller more standard as an example. It's actually taking them extremely long to make video games for the WiiU and they only released like what 10 - 20 games as opposed to 30+ for the Wii during its early years? Yes, I also agree that E3 is very crucial as well as the Nintendo Direct conferences or they will turn out to become like last year, where they bit all the dust at E3 after Sony and Microsoft won.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Yeah that's perfectly fine, although TLOU was no where near as good as everyone says. Its story was good but gameplay wise it was a clone of Uncharted. Can Naughty Dog not make a game that's realistic and has guns in it and violence? Lets see them make a cartoony game.

I'm in a agreement. I wasn't quite as impressed as the rest of the oogling ps3 fans were, but regardless, Naughty Dog's name was an important factor of the hype behind Last of Us, and a new IP from Miyamoto brings that same amount of excitement for many Nintendo fans.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 juboner

@edward-snowden: Never seen you before, but as I'm sure you know I am quite popular around GS. jk

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@edward-snowden said:

@juboner said:

I kind of do too my friend! And have I met you before? It is really well obvious that Nintendo is shying away from the WiiU, when it's only beginning to improve! The only way they will do well in the future is following the requests of their fans and start doing what they did during the SNES era to become great again! Like making more quality IP's and re introduce old ones (StarFox and F-Zero as an example) to the WiiU. Also maybe change their marketing and advertising tactics to make them better in the eyes of the general public. Or maybe even convince third-party companies to give the WiiU third-party support by making the pro controller more standard as an example. It's actually taking them extremely long to make video games for the WiiU and they only released like what 10 - 20 games as opposed to 30+ for the Wii during its early years? Yes, I also agree that E3 is very crucial as well as the Nintendo Direct conferences or they will turn out to become like last year, where they bit all the dust at E3 after Sony and Microsoft won.

microsoft won e3 with the DRM announcement ..wow news to me..

welcome to gamespot.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Crash Bandicoot? Jack and Daxter?

TC, I would not get your hopes up. If anything, Nintendo's going to minimize U investments as much as they can.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@MirkoS77: I don't think we're there yet. We may be dangerously close to that reality, but Nintendo's not giving up and quietly shutting things down on the Wii U after a year and a half. If we get through Christmas and find that Mario Kart and Smash Bros. haven't boosted sales in any noticeable way, a slow, painful death may be the fate of the weird little console. You can point to floundering consoles turning it around and note that the sales of those consoles weren't nearly this bad, but history doesn't solely determine the future. Nobody thought the Red Sox would come back against the Yankees in 04 -- down 3 games to none, a comeback from that deficit had never been accomplished -- but they defied the odds and won the World Series. Same goes for the four minute mile, and every other feat previously thought impossible.

Nintendo's down 3 games to none right now, but the gig isn't up just yet. If there's one thing a console has a mere year and half after release, it's time. And time will tell.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 juboner

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Agreed it is still a little too early to completely give up.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

I'm sure there will definitely be games worth getting on the WiiU, there just might not be a ton of them. E3 should definitely be interesting.

Either way I'm definitely getting a WiiU soon, for Mario Kart 8 and the new Zelda game, and also for use as a Wii as I've never owned one.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@MirkoS77: I don't think we're there yet. We may be dangerously close to that reality, but Nintendo's not giving up and quietly shutting things down on the Wii U after a year and a half. If we get through Christmas and find that Mario Kart and Smash Bros. haven't boosted sales in any noticeable way, a slow, painful death may be the fate of the weird little console. You can point to floundering consoles turning it around and note that the sales of those consoles weren't nearly this bad, but history doesn't solely determine the future. Nobody thought the Red Sox would come back against the Yankees in 04 -- down 3 games to none, a comeback from that deficit had never been accomplished -- but they defied the odds and won the World Series. Same goes for the four minute mile, and every other feat previously thought impossible.

Nintendo's down 3 games to none right now, but the gig isn't up just yet. If there's one thing a console has a mere year and half after release, it's time. And time will tell.

We'll see. The Sox coming back was a rarity. Possible? Yes. Likely or common? No.

I just don't see Nintendo all of a sudden changing 180^o in its strategy. Nintendo is far too conservative. Instead of taking the loss of billions as a signal they need to start getting more games out and becoming much more aggressive in everything they do, they instead hold the belief that they will hunker down under their shell, minimize expenditures AMAP, and weather the storm until they can correct themselves into a position of profitability, then they'll come out of their shell and start spending. This is a strategy that is not working.

It's been Iwata's Nintendo. Extremely conservative to a fault, and a large reason they are where they are today. A large portion of Nintendo's problems can solely be attributed to attitude and this is why I'm such a massive critic of Iwata and segway into criticizing him often when I speak on Nintendo. The CEO is responsible for the attitude of the company and kicking its ass into shape to perform. Iwata's not/has been shown to be incapable of doing this. Yes, there are many others involved in running Nintendo, but he is the captain of the boat. Personally, I believe if someone like Steve Jobs came back and was put in charge of Nintendo, asshole that he was, you'd see a drastic change in the company for the better in a very short period of time.

As it stands right now, Nintendo comes off as a timid, almost frightened company afraid of everything and that runs whenever there's any competition to be found. That has to change before anything else can, and as long as current management resides, it won't. Iwata's not going to wake up tomorrow as some type of Yamauchi alpha-male. Even if he's learned lessons, attitude transcends everything. And Iwata just doesn't have it. He lacks that killer instinct that successful CEOs require.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@MirkoS77 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

We'll see. The Sox coming back was a rarity. Possible? Yes. Likely or common? No.

I just don't see Nintendo all of a sudden changing 180^o in its strategy. Nintendo is far too conservative. Instead of taking the loss of billions as a signal they need to start getting more games out and becoming much more aggressive in everything they do, they instead hold the belief that they will hunker down under their shell, minimize expenditures AMAP, and weather the storm until they can correct themselves into a position of profitability, then they'll come out of their shell and start spending. This is a strategy that is not working.

It's been Iwata's Nintendo. Extremely conservative to a fault, and a large reason they are where they are today. A large portion of Nintendo's problems can solely be attributed to attitude and this is why I'm such a massive critic of Iwata and segway into criticizing him often when I speak on Nintendo. The CEO is responsible for the attitude of the company and kicking its ass into shape to perform. Iwata's not/has been shown to be incapable of doing this. Yes, there are many others involved in running Nintendo, but he is the captain of the boat. Personally, I believe if someone like Steve Jobs came back and was put in charge of Nintendo, asshole that he was, you'd see a drastic change in the company for the better in a very short period of time.

As it stands right now, Nintendo comes off as a timid, almost frightened company afraid of everything and that runs whenever there's any competition to be found. That has to change before anything else can, and as long as current management resides, it won't. Iwata's not going to wake up tomorrow as some type of Yamauchi alpha-male. Even if he's learned lessons, attitude transcends everything. And Iwata just doesn't have it. He lacks that killer instinct that successful CEOs require.

But that's precisely why I brought it up. While we can look at Nintendo's long history of business practices, we've never seen them in this one. Even the Gamecube wasn't in this dire of a situation, so we don't know for sure how Nintendo's going to handle it. The Gamecube struggled, but it was never on life support, so Nintendo didn't need to do anything terribly drastic to save it. We'll see what they have to say about it over the summer.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools: Last of Us is nothing like Uncharted -__- you actually keep weapons, collect items, craft and customization, not too mention the gameplay is different- stealth and strategy compared to Uncharted where it's mostly a shooter fest with regenerative health.

killjoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 killjoi
Member since 2002 • 10005 Posts

@juboner: I have seen this same statement since Nintendo 64. Nintendo isn't changing, and it's more of a perception problem rather than a real one, depending on what you demand from a console.

Each console Nintendo puts out has around 5 or 6 high quality, first-party titles. These are games that have high if not endless replayability (Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart), and their target audience (families with young kids) are not the kind of folk who expect Nintendo to have 3rd party support for a steady stream of titles to choose from. If 3rd parties decide to release content on a Nintendo console, great. Otherwise, Nintendo makes plenty of money doing their own thing and despite the Wii U's poor sales, it's a drop in the bucket compared to their cash reserves.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Master_Of_Fools

@jcrame10:

The animation is the same. The way your character walks and moves especially when walking while aiming a gun is EXACTLY like Uncharted. Deny the truth if you must.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools: the art style is different and the game looks better than any of the uncharted. the camera angle is closer to Joel than it is to Nathan because you don't do the platforming in TLoU as you would in Uncharted. Aiming a gun? seriously? theyre similar, just as any third person game that uses guns would be