The lovely Donkey Kong country tropical freeze.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for arrow2thekneeXD
arrow2thekneeXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By arrow2thekneeXD
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

There is something in this world that people need to know, and they need to know now! There is a game out there that is better than all the "next gen" launch titles combined. A game that challenges you with everything its got and then some. This game is Donkey Kong country: tropical freeze .

When game play for Tropical freeze started slowly,and quietly making its way onto the internet I will admit I wasn't very excited.I had no idea what Kind of game it would be or that it would be any good. I thought of it as another quick cash grab from Nintendo. Something to slap the word new on and throw it out the door for some sucker of a fan to throw $50 at. I was so wrong. Months later reviews for the game started to appear. To my surprise it was actually getting some decent praise. 10/10 from Destructoid,9.3/10 from Game informer,9/10 from IGN, a total score of 83 on Metacritic with over 73 critic reviews counted! By this point I decided to check the game out. I went to the store last Sunday, and like the idiots I always thought these kinds of people to be, I spent $50 dollars on a game I had never played.And am I ever so glad I did.This game is nothing short of amazing! It is one of the most challenging platformers I have played in years. The level design is astounding,the music is amazing and the levels themselves look gorgeous! Donkey Kong country: tropical freeze is a masterpiece.

One of the reasons that I bought Donkey Kong country: tropical freeze is that I heard it was difficult, and This surprised me. Difficulty is something that has been lacking in recant first party Nintendo titles, and across the entire gaming industry as a whole. I know if anybody reads this I will be called idiotic,But I found Super Mario 3D world to be disappointing. There I said it,it's out there, it's on the table.Super Mario 3D world was disappointing because it is too easy,it just is.Super Mario 3D worlds level design is boring and unimaginative. The game has no soul,Just like Super Mario 3D land on the Nintendo 3DS, Which is what the entire game essentially is.There is no real innovation or challenge in this game what so ever.The levels themselves are boring and over before you even start to experience anything remotely related to fun. And then they went and did something that bothers me to point of not wanting to play.They made it so that if you die enough you will win. Yupp that's right. You die then They grant you the power of invincibility through a magic raccoon suit. This gets rid of the point of the game. If there is no challenge and I feel no reward for actually being better than the person who dies all the time then what is the point! Difficulty is what makes games worth playing,you cant just take it all away for the people that aren't good and don't want to work at something to become good.

Donkey Kong country: tropical freeze gets rid of this problem. There is no invisibility and there is no God mode. If you suck then you suck,oh well.Tropical freeze is a game based purely on player skill, and this is what makes it so good. This is what games should be and this is why I like this game so very much. It treats me like I'm a person with a functioning brain,Instead of 3 year old child. It makes the player feel like they are actually accomplishing something when you complete each level. And not only are levels challenging but they are amazingly designed. The levels are made in a way that if you want to and if you are good enough you can blast right through them,but you will most likely need to go through the levels a few dozen times to master it to the point of being able to do this.

Difficulty isn't the only thing that makes Donkey Kong country: tropical freeze a good game. The music and art design work together so well to make something magical. Something that when you hear and see it is like it is taking you to an entirely different reality. A place that you cant quite explain but that you can feel through the breathtaking music and visuals.It's as if it was something you could only experience through a dream,and that is what makes it so very wonderful. Donkey Kong country: tropical freeze is an amazing game, and one that has earned a place in my top 10 favorite games of all time. I highly recommend this game to any one who enjoys having fun when they play games.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Champion's Road in 3D World is more difficult than anything in Tropical Freeze. You also don't need to use the invincibility suit in 3D World if you don't want to. I even chose to forgo the regular raccoon suit most of the time in order to up the challenge. That game is no walk in the park. It's not that difficult, except for the end, but it's not a piece of cake, either.

Tropical Freeze was the same way for me, without the ridiculous final challenge. I was hoping for something like Champion's Road in DK, but the last levels were more fun than difficult. The good thing is that DK has a hard mode that ups the difficulty in a fun way.

Tropical Freeze is an incredibly well made game. I liked it a lot.

Avatar image for arrow2thekneeXD
arrow2thekneeXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 arrow2thekneeXD
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@JordanElek: I respect your opinion.It's just that it bothered me that there is no way to shut the gold suit off.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

it sold worse than mario....

maybe if review sites wouldnt have flopped it and hyped mario then maybe it could of sold better...

the advertising was so-so from nintendo....could have been better.

a lot of wiiu owners passed on it...lol 2nd party game and they rejected it because it wasnt mario....

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JordanElek

@KBFloYd said:

a lot of wiiu owners passed on it...lol 2nd party game and they rejected it because it wasnt mario....

I would've passed on it, too, if I hadn't had the opportunity to review it. But it wasn't that hard to plunk $50 down on it. Returns was any amazing game.

As good as it is, Tropical Freeze is more of the same. I think most of us are ready for something we've never really seen before.

Then again, The Wonderful 101 is exactly that, and that didn't get too much attention, either.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@JordanElek said:

@KBFloYd said:

I would've passed on it, too, if I hadn't had the opportunity to review it. But it wasn't that hard to plunk $50 down on it. Returns was any amazing game.

As good as it is, Tropical Freeze is more of the same. I think most of us are ready for something we've never really seen before.

Then again, The Wonderful 101 is exactly that, and that didn't get too much attention, either.

yea but w101..was third party...no nintendo franchises..

donkey kong should have been instant purchase but people like you didnt buy it....your reason was..."more of the same" lol ...this game had a lot more work put into it.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@JordanElek said:

@KBFloYd said:

yea but w101..was third party...no nintendo franchises..

donkey kong should have been instant purchase but people like you didnt buy it....your reason was..."more of the same" lol ...this game had a lot more work put into it.

DKC:TF is a great game and certainly does bring the series forward (don't know why many insist it's all more of the same), I didn't understand some of the hate it was receiving on the internet...oh well.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

Although Jordan is technically incorrect about Tropical Freeze being "more of the same," he does make a very good point about people wanting something we've never seen before with Nintendo franchises.

Many people still believe the Wii U is currently not worth the purchase because they're just simply glancing at it. All of the first party titles available are of high quality, but people find them too similar to previous installments. Although Returns and Tropical Freeze are different games, both share many similarities in gameplay and visuals (well, yeah, since TF is a sequel), and people will not see the worth of purchasing a Wii U for it when they can still play Returns on their Wii. Same can apply for NSMBU and NSMBW, SM3DW and SM3DL, and Pikmin 3 and Pikmin 2. These games are evolving their franchises in very creative ways, but they're not taking the leaps of innovation shown in Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime.

There are many other reasons why the Wii U is still considered unattractive (lack of third party games, too many ports/remakes, not enough online support in first party), but even some Nintendo fans are still hesitant to jump into the Wii U user base because they don't see enough first party titles to warrant the purchase of a new console and are still waiting for what Ninty has to offer during E3.

It's a real shame Tropical Freeze is not selling well, especially since it's a fantastic game, but it's not enough to make people go, "Holy crap... That is so awesome. That is so different. I need to buy a Wii U now just for that game."

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

It really is a gem. My favorite Wii U game by a good margin, too.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JordanElek
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Although Jordan is technically incorrect about Tropical Freeze being "more of the same," he does make a very good point about people wanting something we've never seen before with Nintendo franchises.

I'm not sure how I'm technically incorrect... If you mean it's not the same exact game, then of course. But Tropical Freeze is just a tiny step beyond a level pack for Returns, gameplay-wise. New Super Luigi U is more different from NSMBU than Tropical Freeze is from Returns.

And also, @KBFloYd, I was going to buy the game eventually. I just had no desire to pay $50 to play it immediately when I could've waited for an eShop sale or something. But honestly, I saw that no one else at Smashpad was reviewing it, and I used that to justify buying it right away because I guess I really did want to play it, deep down. ;p

I totally understand how it's a tough sell to people, though. We're so ready for new experiences out of everyone, not just Nintendo.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

I am one of those people who sees no need to purchase another Donkey Kong Country game. I just don't think we needed another one. Yes, I am sure that Tropical Freeze has evolutionary content, but I don't feel compelled to buy it.

I also did not purchase New Super Mario Bros Wii U for similar reasons. I wish Nintendo would find other franchises to evolve or create new ones that explore new territories.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nep321a
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

At first I was concerned about purchasing this game because of the fact that it got a 6 on this web site. However, I risked it and bought it.

It's a SUPERB game. I'd give it a solid 9.

The challenge level is perfect and gives you a sense of accomplishment. The graphics are GREAT, highly detailed and colorful. And the soundtrack is very memorable. Loved it.

It's just ridiculously fun.....I'm very glad I bought it. Definitely one of the best Wii U games, if not the best!

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@nep321a said:

At first I was concerned about purchasing this game because of the fact that it got a 6 on this web site. However, I risked it and bought it.

I highly recommend looking at other reviews before buying a game. There are many great games that have gotten poor reviews on Gamespot, but were highly praised in many other sites.

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nep321a
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@nep321a said:

I highly recommend looking at other reviews before buying a game. There are many great games that have gotten poor reviews on Gamespot, but were highly praised in many other sites.

Oh I know...I'm well aware of that. It's been like that for years.