The Last Story Release and Discussion Thread - (Lots of Info and Pics)

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

The Last Story Release and Discussion Thread
(Does the Wii's "Last Story" end with a bang? Find out below)
971804.jpg

~About This Thread & Rules~

This thread is meant to provide information, pictures, videos, reviews, and a place to discuss The Last Story.

Please refrain from posting spoilers without the spoiler tag.

To do so just use the tags [ SPOILER ] *text* [ /SPOILER ] (without the spaces).

DON'T RUIN THE PLOT FOR OTHER PEOPLE! SPOILERS ARE PUNISHABLE VIA THE TERMS OF USE.Haziqonfire

Note: The spoiler tags within the (3) info sections below are spoiler free.

(Info Section #1: Information, Story & Meet the Characters)

~About The Last Story~

2uIOh.jpg

Release Date: North America - Aug 14, 2012 / Europe - February 24, 2012
No. of Players: Up to 6 players (Online)
Category: Action, Role-Playing
Publisher: XSEED Games (America) / Nintendo (Europe & Japan)

"XSEED Games, an independent-minded publisher, today began shipping the highly-acclaimed, action-oriented RPG title, The Last Story, to retailers across North America with an MSRP of $49.99, exclusively for Wii. All initial launch copies of The Last Story include a bonus 44-page softcover art book packaged together with the game in a custom outer box.

Developed by legendary game creator Hironobu Sakaguchi and his studio MISTWALKER in conjunction with Nintendo, The Last Story has been hailed by critics and fans from around the world for its brilliance in storytelling, immersive audio and music, cover-based action combat and mystical setting.

The Last Story centers on a band of mercenaries and follows them on their journey to gain wealth and notoriety. Throughout the adventure, players will experience an engaging story with an emphasis on immersion and environmental interaction. Gameplay is action-oriented, utilizing a cover system and both ranged and melee combat, but also includes strategic elements such as a battle command system which players can use to issue orders to party members on-the-fly, expertly blending classic turn-based mechanics with real-time action combat.

In addition to the high-octane combat, players are transported through an emotional storyline via a magical and striking soundtrack, crafted by famed industry composer Nobuo Uematsu. The action can also be taken online where players can compete against or play cooperatively with friends, choosing between either a three-on-three deathmatch mode or coop boss rush, in which a team of up to six players take on more powerful versions of the game's bosses.

FEATURES:

• New RPG by industry legend Hironobu Sakaguchi (Creator of Final Fantasy)
  • Real-time battle system with strategic party combat
  • Online cooperative and competitive play for 2-6 players
  • A rich world to explore with lots of optional side-quest

The Last Story was developed by MISTWALKER and Nintendo, exclusively for Wii." - XSEED Games

More information can be found on the product website at http://www.thelaststorywii.com/

~The Story Begins~
tumblr_m5vsw1FcAK1r0ghjbo1_1280.jpg

While the mainland of the Empire faces both conflict and the slow creep of the dying land, there is one region that continues to prosper: Lazulis Island. The key to the island's defenses is a battery of mighty guns which exude strange magic that seems to draw monsters in.

The young mercenary Zael, along with a band of fellow adventurers, comes to the island in hopes of finding more work. Their new employer is none other than the ruler of the land himself, Count Arganan. If they can meet the count's expectations, there is some hope that their unstable mercenary existence could become a thing of the past. For Zael and his companions, who dream of a stable life as knights, this job represents a chance they may never have again.

And it's during their exploration of a dreary, damp cave as part of their first mission that Zael obtains a mysterious new power. One that may help shape his destiny... or just make life a whole lot more complicated.

~Meet The Characters~
tumblr_m62ftvLWCs1ryltjco1_1280.jpg

VVVVVVVV-- Click the spoiler tag to open / close this section.

[spoiler]

ZAEL
421463.jpg

Orphaned as a boy, Zael has since struggled in his day-to-day life as a mercenary along with his companions. It is his dream to become an honorable Lazulis Knight, not only for the status but also for the chance to eat a filling meal and sleep in a warm bed. The weight of his sorrows coerces a mysterious voice into giving him the strange power known as Gathering, but despite these sorrows, he has remained an overall optimistic and friendly person.

CALISTA
421452.jpg

The lone heir to the House of Arganan and niece to the ruler of Lazulis Island. Her forced engagement to the noble Jirall has inspired her to break out of her royal cage and into Lazulis City. She is sheltered but not necessarily ignorant, and craves knowledge of the world beyond the magnificent castle in which she's been forced to reside.

DAGRAN
tumblr_m3dzfrhPbC1qgu874o3_1280.jpg

Unofficially the head of the mercenaries due to his charisma and strong leadership skills, Dagran has been tirelessly working to ensure that the path of knighthood awaits his companions in the future. Unlike most other members, he and Zael have known each other since childhood, and their grim pasts and daily struggles have forged a bond between them not unlike that of brothers. His way with words has earned him a connection with Lazulis Island's Count Arganan, much to the chagrin of the knights and other nobles of the castle.

SYRENNE
tumblr_m3dzfrhPbC1qgu874o4_1280.jpg

Energetic and feisty, there's never a dull moment to be had around Syrenne... especially when she has a drink in her hands, which happens to be always. Still, beneath the foul language and lust for combat is a sensitive, good-hearted woman who serves as something of an older sister to Zael. Her butting of heads with Lowell is nothing out of the ordinary, but the two enjoy testing their mettle in the Arena together, where she impressively wields two blades at once.

YURICK
421460.jpg

Yurick's age ranks him as the youngest of the mercenaries, but his skills with fire make him a valuable accomplice to have. Mature beyond his years yet incredibly aloof, he is not nearly as keen on bonding with his companions as the others and tends to shy away from celebrations in favor of quiet evenings alone. For him, the life of a mercenary is not meant to be fun-- it's nothing more than work; merely a means of survival.

LOWELL
789200.jpg

Lowell may have impressive strength in both body and mind, wielding a blade one moment and commanding ice magic the next, but he is much more infamous for another skill altogether-- womanizing. Though he may seem like the sort who loves to do nothing but charm the ladies with his wit and words, he, like Syrenne, is very protective and caring toward his comrades. He knows when to be serious, but he's the first to indulge in a light-hearted remark or two if he can get away with it.

MIRANIA
421453.jpg

Beautiful, serene, mysterious and strangevery strangeare the best ways to describe Mirania. From a distance she is a woman of grace and her speech is formal, but her quirky mannerisms and bottomless stomach often leave those closest to her puzzled. She is far from naïve, however; a few words with her easily reveals that she is just as knowledgeable as she is eccentric. She has a talent for healing magic, which suits her gentle yet enigmatic nature quite well.

COUNT ARGANAN
789199.jpg

The ruler of Lazulis Island as well as the House of Arganan, and the brilliant mind behind its military might. He exudes an aura of power befitting his status and history. He's intimidating yet well-respected by those of noble and commoner status alike, and he readily gives his own respect to any he feels have potential for greatness. It is through this mindset that even a lowly mercenary such as Dagran can come to catch his eye.

GENERAL ASTHAR
789198.jpg

The former Imperial Supreme Commander of the army, and a man with a wealth of military history. His years in battle have hardened his skills both physically and mentally, but even the tragedies of war have not managed to harden his heart. Renowned for being kind and just to all, he is beloved by the people of Lazulis Island and quickly becomes regarded by Zael as the ideal of what an honorable knight should be. His activities of late include researching the events responsible for the continued degradation of the dying land.

THERIUS
789202.jpg

A knight whose skills with a blade are rumored to closely rival General Asthar's. Though plenty experienced, he looks to the general for guidance in his actions and constantly strives to improve himself through tests of physical strength and interactions with others. He is fiercely loyal to the principles of knighthood, and pushes those around him to uphold those principles as well.

ZANGURAK
789197.jpg

Known as the King of the Gurak, he is the first to bring all of the Gurak together under one single ideal. He shows a bitter hatred for humans, and his assault against them births much fear amongst the people of Lazulis Island. Though seemingly capable of felling the great military might of House Arganan all on his own, he still takes a marked interest in Zael's mysterious ability, referring to it as the "Outsider's Power."

[/spoiler]

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JollyGreenOne

(Info Section #2: Developer Interview & Gameplay Inspired By?)
tumblr_m48hvox38l1qmpdejo1_1280.jpg

~Iwata Asks with Hironobu Sakaguchi & Kimihiko Fujisaka~
ia_The_Last_Story_content_06.jpgia_The_Last_Story_content_08.jpg

Click the spoiler tags to open / close each section.

--Developed like it was our 'Last Story'--

[spoiler]

Iwata: Could you describe how this project first came about?

Sakaguchi: I left Square* in 2003 and after taking a bit of a break, I began working again and was involved in the development of a number of titles. Then, just as I was finishing up work on them, I came to a point where I was doing a lot of reflection... Well, how can I put this? I felt that I might have been a little out of step with the times.

(*Hironobu Sakaguchi oversaw the Final Fantasy series (from FF I to FF X-2) at Square, now Square Enix.)

Iwata: You'd really go as far as to say you were 'out of step'?

Sakaguchi: Well, maybe not out of step. I just felt like I was at a slightly different point from everyone else. As if I was surfing alongside the others, but had ended up riding a different wave from the one I should have aimed for. This project came about just at the moment when I was becoming aware of this. That's why, if I'm honest, I feel a real sense of gratitude towards this game.

Iwata: Can you explain what precisely you mean by 'gratitude'?

Sakaguchi: Well, firstly, I felt grateful to be given the opportunity to work on a really large-scale project.

Iwata: It really did end up being a vast game.

Sakaguchi: Right. And moreover, it gave me a chance to get away from my usual formula for making games, the familiar methods I was used to. I had been searching for a new challenge, so I was genuinely grateful for this opportunity. While I may have felt nervous about it, I was grateful for the support I got in this new endeavour.

Iwata: I tend to avoid using the word 'nervous' when speaking in public, but I feel that as we are both involved in making games, we can afford to be frank. When you make something new, and are trying to change the way things are done, it will always involve feelings of anxiety.

Sakaguchi: It's true. And it was particularly true in this case.

Iwata: You spent a long period of time looking into those fundamental issues, didn't you?

Sakaguchi: We did. That's why we repeatedly experimented with the system side at the prototype stages of the game's development.We knew that we wanted something that differed from the way things had been done before. We wanted to express the gameworld and story in a whole new style, and I feel that we gave it absolutely everything we had.

Iwata: I wonder if this sense of giving it everything you had is reflected in the name 'The Last Story'.

Sakaguchi: Yes. Just as we'd done with Final Fantasy, we gave it everything we had, as if this was going to be the last game we ever made. But I must say that this feeling was particularly strong with this title.

Iwata: So you poured everything into it so there'd be no regrets if this was the last game you ever made.

Sakaguchi: Precisely. I mean, if I messed it up, I'd be forced to retire... (laughs)

Iwata: (laughs)

Sakaguchi: Of course, I want to carry on working creatively for the rest of my life, but when you're on a project of this size, you need that sense of what it would mean should you fail. At the same time, I wanted to create something where I felt I'd been allowed to give everything I had, where I couldn't have done more.

[/spoiler]

--We built this city!--

[spoiler]

Iwata: Turning now to the world in which The Last Story is set, the action takes place in a single city, doesn't it?

Sakaguchi: Thats right. Basically, theres a single city called Lazulis City.

Iwata: I was genuinely bowled over by the attention to detail and depth of this city's rendering. What was the original intention behind this city?

Sakaguchi: The player is going to spend a lot of time in this city, so I wanted them to like it.

---------

Iwata: Wuhu Island originated in Miyamoto-san's belief that it would be fun to play games in a place everyone was already familiar with. In other words, by visiting the same place again and again, youd see more and more of its features and learn more about it.

Sakaguchi: That's exactly the thinking behind it. With a location that's familiar to the player, they can pick up on even the slightest difference. It has the advantage of making it possible to communicate even very subtle nuances. For example, early on one of the passers-by will barge into you with their shoulder and say: 'Hey! What are you doing?' But then when the hero has become a little more established, theyll say: 'Oh, I'm terribly sorry!' Thats a really nice feeling. But its such a huge place, with so much going on, that even I still find myself getting lost down some out-of-the-way backstreet. (laughs)

Iwata: So even you get lost? (laughs)

Sakaguchi: There are places I still can't seem to get to. Then when I go down the backstreets, I'll pass someone whos always doing their washing, and I cant help wanting to coax some kind of reaction out of them.

Fujisaka: There is a lot of graphical content specific to the city, such as people dancing in the streets, playing the accordion, or sitting at the edge of the fountain.

Iwata: You've made it so there's a lot going on even in places you wouldn't normally go to.

[/spoiler]

--Delivering cut scenes twice as fast is a BLAST!--

[spoiler]

Iwata: Another thing that I was really surprised by was the fast forward feature that lets you watch cut scenes at twice the normal speed. I thought: 'But this is Sakaguchi-san, who places such importance on drama, and he's letting you fast forward things...?'

Sakaguchi: It's true, you can fast forward scenes. It's different from just being able to skip the whole scene and interrupt the flow of the story. What I like about fast forward is that you can still see the subtitles and follow the story.

Iwata: Is that something you'd been wanting to do for a while?

Sakaguchi: Yes, it was something I was determined to do. Ah, yes! That's it! What I really want the player to look out for is this fast forward function! (laughs) It's my favourite feature. It's amazing!

Iwata: Amazing?

Fujisaka: Sakaguchi-san had come up with this idea from quite an early stage.

Iwata: This... Well, it may have been the biggest shock of all for me! (laughs)

Sakaguchi: I didn't want to force people to watch the story. I wanted to let people follow it at their own pace...

Fujisaka: And what could be better than a fast forward feature? (laughs)

[/spoiler]

--A game that can hold it's own, even without HD visuals--

[spoiler]

Sakaguchi: I was really averse to allowing the quality of the graphics to drop just because we were working on Wii, which doesn't have HD graphics. I do really think that, in the end, what we've created can hold its own against other hardware. We've successfully implemented the texture of rocks and water, for instance. The other important area is the motion.

Iwata: Ah, yes indeed. Normally, if the movement, the model and the resolution are not all more or less at the same level, there will be something unnatural about the motion. If one of those three elements is markedly superior to the others, it will tend to stick out. But in this title, they're all perfectly in alignment. You can really tell how much energy you put into achieving this.

Sakaguchi: That's right. Balance is the most important thing. If one element is too high level, you have to tone it down, and if another element isn't quite cutting it, you need to make it sharper.

----------

Iwata: Fujisaka-san, as a designer, how did you feel about working on Wii?

Fujisaka: Well, I'm a designer, so to be honest, at first I wanted a slightly higher resolution to work with, but over the course of the project, I reached the conclusion that there was actually no real problem with things as they were.

Sakaguchi: In the end, you came up with higher quality graphics than you had thought possible.

Fujisaka: Yes, that's right.

Sakaguchi: I think the graphics have a beauty that's almost photographic. Rather than everything being clear and sharp, there are shadows in the background and slightly blurred elements that actually lend the graphics the feel of a photograph. I think that we achieved the perfect balance because this game was on Wii.

Iwata: So you really get a clear sense of having achieved that balance.

Sakaguchi: Yes, I do. In addition, the Wii console was easy to program for. We were able to implement things down to the finest details. For instance, if you pass under a bridge, you'll be bathed in sunlight. And if you are coming out of a dark place and pass under a bridge, everything around you will be bright, but in a soft way. It's just like the way a real human eye automatically adjusts to light and dark.

Iwata: Very interesting.

Sakaguchi: That makes it feel really good to go under a bridge. We've managed to put all sorts of touches like that in the game.

Fujisaka: Yes, we have.

Sakaguchi: I just couldn't stand the idea of limiting ourselves just because of the resolution of the Wii console. (laughs) The staff responsible for the 2D side slaved away in the background, really putting a lot into this.

Fujisaka: The 3D art directors really gave it their all too.

Sakaguchi: That's why in the end it doesn't look inferior in the slightest when compared to the graphics and resolution on other platforms.

Iwata: So you refused to use the fact that it was for Wii as an excuse, and you resolved to give it everything you had.

Sakaguchi: That's right.

[/spoiler]

To see the full interview head over to:
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_the_last_story_47439_47440.html#top

~Gameplay Inspired By... Gears of War 2?~
GITaC.jpg

1UP.com wrote: "When I played The Last Story at XSEED's press event last month, it legitimately surprised me. An RPG with a cover system? On paper, it seems like an asinine idea, and a desperate grab at relevance in the West; but in practice, The Last Story makes this seeming out-of-place mechanic work well.

For my E3 interview with Last Story producer Takuya Matsumoto, I had the fast pace of The Last Story on my mind, and wanted to know how this approach ended up in Mistwalker's new RPG. Now, in my experience with interviewing developers, I've found that they can often be very guarded, and sometimes only offer up frustrating PR-approved sound bites that don't give us much to work with. But Matsumoto was rather forthcoming in naming The Last Story's major inspiration:

"Gears of War 2."

Okay, maybe that was a PR-approved sound bite.

Regardless, I laughed at his comment -- and who wouldn't? People who play Gears of War and RPGs aren't exactly oil and water, though I don't see the crossover on that particular Venn diagram being very sizable. In the past, Japanese developers have tried to appeal to the West, with varying degrees of success; in more than a few unfortunate instances, however, these attempts reeked of a certain depressing desperation. But when I sat down with The Last Story, I didn't immediately snort and proclaim, "Eh, this is just Japan's take on Gears of War." Though Matsumoto listed a specific game as his inspiration for The Last Story's mechanics, his borrowings don't ape that particular style. Instead, Matsumoto chose to implement the momentum and mechanics of Gears in a way that would feel very natural in an action-RPG context. And the great thing is, it does."

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JollyGreenOne

(Info Section #3: Screenshots, Trailers & Reviews)
xOG6A.jpg

~Screenshots~

6802736231_47052c651f_z.jpg
6802737257_cea1387887_z.jpg
6802735973_e3df0115c1_z.jpg
6802736607_c000e1a8c8_z.jpg
the_last_story_image23.jpg
6802736087_9662e3f353_z.jpg
the_last_story_image27.jpg
6802736343_641c902fc3_z.jpg
the_last_story_image9.jpg
6802737393_a5491b0e0d_z.jpg
6802738029_32a14bde04_z.jpg
6802737019_e777124b9d_z.jpg
the_last_story_image75.jpg
the_last_story_image73.jpg
the_last_story_image10.jpg
the_last_story_image37.jpg

~Trailers~

(Youtube) Official US Trailer
(Youtube) Director's Cut Trailer
(Youtube) Teaser Trailer

~The Last Story Reviews~

GameSpot - 9.0/10:

"The Last Story is a fantastic game; one that pushes the JRPG genre forward in ways that are innovative yet still complementary to the tradition of the genre. Its rich narrative straddles the line between emotionally affecting and breathtakingly action packed; its thrilling battle system is a unique, modern take on everything that has come before. And its visuals are some of the best ever seen on the Wii, pushing the system to its limits with its beautifully detailed environments and dazzling special effects (even if there's a little frame rate stutter during more complex scenes).

And that's not to mention the music from legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu, with its majestic melodies complementing the action in a way that is truly sublime. But its biggest success lies with the characters themselves, their diverse personalities and formidable ambitions forever pushing you along their journey from rags to riches. You want to be there with them; to guide them through their darkest of hours; to share in their happiest of moments. You will care. That alone makes The Last Story worth the price of admission and a captivating experience that everyone should play, JRPG fan or not." - (Full Review)

IGN - 8.5/10:

"The Last Story has no significant shortcomings apart from a slight lack of verve; it's not the JRPG revolution that Xenoblade Chronicles was, and its setting and story remain within safe territory, but great characterisation and an excellent, innovative battle system keep it interesting from the very first chapter to the last minutes. The quality of the localisation is superb, and that great combat makes it more exciting to play on a minute-to-minute basis than any other game of its sort. It's a game worthy of its pedigree, then, and sits comfortably alongside Lost Odyssey as Mistwalker's best work." - (Full Review)

Eurogamer - 7/10:

"The Last Story is born from the same desire to reinvent the genre that both Final Fantasy 13 and Xenoblade Chronicles sprung from, but in sacrificing complexity to serve narrative, it seems that Sakaguchi has arrived at the same place as his former employers. It's a familiar mix of wonder and frustration, and it's eclipsed by Monolith's more intoxicating vision of the JRPG's future. The end result is a tale that's worth hearing out, but hard to hold dear." - (Full Review)

Nintendo Life - 8/10:

"The Last Story is, in many ways, a significant achievement on Wii. With gameplay that is both simplified and complex, solid controls, attractive presentation, online multiplayer and a touching, well-paced plot, this title can be considered as a definitive entry in its genre. Technical problems with the performance, in particular regular and punishing drops in frame rate, unfortunately drag the experience back. When the game engine performs it's terrific, but too often it struggles and significantly impacts your ability to control the action. The Last Story's many strengths, however, ensure that it's a story that can't be missed." - (Full Review)

Edge Magazine - 8/10:

"For all its inconsistencies, complexities, inadequacies and oddities, The Last Story offers an entrancing and seamless flow of interesting experiences. And surely that, in the final reckoning, is what counts." - (Full Review)

Nintendo Power - 9.0/10:

"Every cave, catacomb, forest, and street looks authentic due to superb environmental architecture, and each location -- especially Lazulis City -- is bursting with touches that bring the world to life. Buildings actually look worn and lived in; citizens work, wander, and play in the streets; butterflies flit above patches of flowers. Beautiful animation adds extra realism, such as the way Zael subtly raises his arm when navigating a tight space, adjusts his body when pushing past an NPC, and struggles to maintain his balance near a precarious edge. All the details come at a price, however--a number of textures are low-resolution, and the frame rate occasionally drops severely, especially during some of the intense battles near the end of the game.

Overall, however, The Last Story is an awesome experience. If the game is an experiment in creating a new type of RPG, it's one that has succeeded in almost every way, from the battle system to the character interactions to the ingenious boss fights to the nearly perfect pacing that spans the 30-plus-hour quest. The developers, it could be said, have indeed saved the best for Last." - (Aug 2012, p.84)

Official Nintendo Magazine UK - 86%/100:

"A strong, often memorable adventure with a likeable cast and a clutch of interesting mechanics, The Last Story is a robust release in the Wii's twilight months, mostly matching its pedigree with a compelling, wistful tale of courage in the face of overwhelming odds." - (Full Review)

RPGamer - 4.0/5:

"Despite criticisms that it doesn't bring JRPGs to the next level in the same way as Xenoblade, there is still a lot going in favour of the The Last Story. The battle system is one of the most enjoyable in recent times, with an excellent level of depth, and the story, characters, and excellent localization all play their part raising the game. The Last Story's preferred focus on combat and characters puts it far enough apart from Xenoblade, with its focus on exploration and the wider world that there's more than enough space for both games to carve out their own identities and stand proudly together." - (Full Review)

Click here for more reviews

What are your thoughts on The Last Story?

I'm kind of surprised that there's been such a lack of fanfare for this game lately. I know it's been out in Europe for a while, but I was expecting to hear more talk about it for the north american release.

Anyway... I'm not sure if I want to get this or Xenoblade. They both have features that interest me -- so maybe I'll pick them both up eventually, but I'm not sure which one I want to get first.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Nice thread man. Definitly getting it.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I don't think the game actually came out for many people.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I'm kind of surprised that there's been such a lack of fanfare for this game lately. I know it's been out in Europe for a while, but I was expecting to hear more talk about it for the north american release.

Anyway... I'm not sure if I want to get this or Xenoblade. They both have features that interest me -- so maybe I'll pick them both up eventually, but I'm not sure which one I want to get first.

JollyGreenOne

Apparently it only shipped out of XSeed's factories yesterday, so most stores won't even be getting it for another couple of days. I doubt anybody has been able to play it yet to talk about it..

And you need to get Xenoblade. Now. Seriously, if you even remotely enjoy RPGs, or games, it is a game that will keep you coming back and you will remember it. I have a hard time calling it the best RPG ever or game of the generation, but if someone said that I certainly could see why.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[spoiler] That Zangurak guy looks like Ganondorf [/spoiler]

Artwork looks awesome.

Yeah,i knew that,but still.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
Game looks awesome can't wait till its out
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
If it had released in July I would have picked it up, but it's too late now.

Does the Wii's "Last Story" end with a bang?

JollyGreenOne
Oh, you're silly :P
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I hope I preordered this in time to get the Soundtrack...
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

This game was delayed several days where I live... Grrr... I prpbably won't have time to play it before college.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I didn't know this game had online co-op. :o

I'm definitely buying this next month. I'm overwhelmed with JRPGs at the moment.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9728 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/the-last-story/

There's some stuff in here if you're interested.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I'll be getting it tomorow. It's too bad my Wii is busted...guess I'll have to wait for the WiiU before I can play this :P

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
nice thread last story its excellent game i hope sell good on NA market
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JollyGreenOne

Apparently it only shipped out of XSeed's factories yesterday, so most stores won't even be getting it for another couple of days. I doubt anybody has been able to play it yet to talk about it..

And you need to get Xenoblade. Now. Seriously, if you even remotely enjoy RPGs, or games, it is a game that will keep you coming back and you will remember it. I have a hard time calling it the best RPG ever or game of the generation, but if someone said that I certainly could see why.

nintendofreak_2

Yeah, I've heard about the shipping thing. I just feel like there was chatter about Xenoblade even before people were able to play it, so I thought TLS would have a little pre/release buzz in north america too. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

And I'm still a bit torn between the two games because there are things I like about both, such as Xenoblade's expansive, open environments, and The Last Story's fun looking combat and nicely detailed hub city. Knowing XSEED it might be hard to track this down after a while, but I'm not sure it'll be easy to find a new copy of Xenoblade either if I wait too long.

I should have gotten Xenoblade a long time ago, darn my procrastination! :P

"Does the Wii's "Last Story" end with a bang?"

Oh, you're silly :Pmeetroid8

I couldn't help myself. :P

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#17 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I should be receiving my copy of the game by tonight. I can't wait to play it! It's my most anticipated game of 2012! :)

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendofreak_2

Yeah, I've heard about the shipping thing. I just feel like there was chatter about Xenoblade even before people were able to play it, so I thought TLS would have a little pre/release buzz in north america too. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

And I'm still a bit torn between the two games because there are things I like about both, such as Xenoblade's expansive, open environments, and The Last Story's fun looking combat and nicely detailed hub city. Knowing XSEED it might be hard to track this down after a while, but I'm not sure it'll be easy to find a new copy of Xenoblade either if I wait too long.

JollyGreenOne

My guess is that a good bit of the lack of hype about the game is due to the numerous micro-delays it's had. I have to admit it has kind of killed some of the hype for me, especially now that I might not even get to play it before I head back to college let alone finish it (and once I get there I know it's going to take me a long time to even get chances to play it at all).

I'm not joking here, you have to buy Xenoblade. If ever there were a game that was a must have, Xenoblade would be it. If you own a Wii, Xenoblade is only behind the SMGs and Brawl in terms of need to own games. It's just that good. I might not have played The Last Story yet, but from everybody I've heard who has played both games, they tend to share my sentiment so I can hold out on TLS for a little bit if I'm stuck between these two games.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Too bad it's delayed to Monday in Canada... whatever I can wait.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JollyGreenOne

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]

nintendofreak_2

My guess is that a good bit of the lack of hype about the game is due to the numerous micro-delays it's had. I have to admit it has kind of killed some of the hype for me, especially now that I might not even get to play it before I head back to college let alone finish it (and once I get there I know it's going to take me a long time to even get chances to play it at all).

I'm not joking here, you have to buy Xenoblade. If ever there were a game that was a must have, Xenoblade would be it. If you own a Wii, Xenoblade is only behind the SMGs and Brawl in terms of need to own games. It's just that good. I might not have played The Last Story yet, but from everybody I've heard who has played both games, they tend to share my sentiment so I can hold out on TLS for a little bit if I'm stuck between these two games.

Oh, I didn't know it's been delayed before. I can see how that could kill off some excitement.

Thanks for the recommendation. I plan on getting both of them eventually (before the end of this year), I'm just having a tough time choosing which one I want to get right now, though I'm starting to lean towards Xenoblade based on what you're saying.

I have a question or two about Xenoblade for you. Is there a lot of grinding involved? I'm totally fine with some grinding, but I'm kind of worried that if there's too much I'll start to get tired of it. And how often do you need to tell the CPU controlled characters what to do in battle? I'd like to mainly focus on my character while fighting, if that's possible.

alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]

JollyGreenOne

Oh, I didn't know it's been delayed before. I can see how that could kill off some excitement.

Thanks for the recommendation. I plan on getting both of them eventually (before the end of this year), I'm just having a tough time choosing which one I want to get right now, though I'm starting to lean towards Xenoblade based on what you're saying.

I have a question or two about Xenoblade for you. Is there a lot of grinding involved? I'm totally fine with some grinding, but I'm kind of worried that if there's too much I'll start to get tired of it. And how often do you need to tell the CPU controlled characters what to do in battle? I'd like to mainly focus on my character while fighting, if that's possible.

1.) I think that I had to level grind like 2-3 times. And each time wasn't for too long. 2.) the CPU mostly does their own thing. Only time you have to tell them what to do is when to run or who to attack. There is also a special move called "chain attack" where the battle freezes and each of your characters use a special move. You get to choose the moves that the CPU uses, but you mostly focus on your own character.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendofreak_2

JollyGreenOne

If you do a few side quests in each area (which is often just a matter of killing x amount of monsters, collecting items, or taking out a special monster) you won't have to grind. The level bumps are usually pretty consistent, with only two exceptions later in the game. Really as long as you give your characters the right gems and you can figure out how to use the Skill Trees and Skill Links (neither of which are very hard to figure out) then you'll be fine.

As for battles, the only two things you can do to command other characters in real time are tell them to focus on the enemy you have targeted and have everyone run away (basically the follow you). You can also activate a chain link which pauses the action and allows you to select at least one arte and it will let you cycle through your team selecting artes until it ends for various reasons. Combat is really set up in a way that you largely only have to focus on yourself, unless you choose to use Sharla, who's main usage is for healing. The AI usually isn't too bad about doing their jobs outside of Melia and 7th (some people don't like Shulk as a PC either).

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#23 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Were we supposed to get a soundtrack cd with this game? I picked mine up from GameStop and didn't get one. Did the employee just forget?

edit: yeeeep, just called them and have to go back. NOTE TO EVERYONE: Make sure to get your CD if you pre-ordered!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

My copy arrived from Amazon today. I haven't touched a video game in months, but I'm going to play Last Story very soon...

Right after I play Xenoblade first :P

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AutoPilotOn

Were we supposed to get a soundtrack cd with this game? I picked mine up from GameStop and didn't get one. Did the employee just forget?

edit: yeeeep, just called them and have to go back. NOTE TO EVERYONE: Make sure to get your CD if you pre-ordered!

GamerForca
Thanks for the reminder about the cd. I had to remind them
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bbkkristian

GamerForca
Thanks for the reminder, but I made sure I got that CD before I left that store. :P I'm really liking this so far (Make sure you turn on MANUAL attack!!! :x )
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JollyGreenOne

1.) I think that I had to level grind like 2-3 times. And each time wasn't for too long.
2.) the CPU mostly does their own thing. Only time you have to tell them what to do is when to run or who to attack. There is also a special move called "chain attack" where the battle freezes and each of your characters use a special move. You get to choose the moves that the CPU uses, but you mostly focus on your own character.alexh_99

If you do a few side quests in each area (which is often just a matter of killing x amount of monsters, collecting items, or taking out a special monster) you won't have to grind. The level bumps are usually pretty consistent, with only two exceptions later in the game. Really as long as you give your characters the right gems and you can figure out how to use the Skill Trees and Skill Links (neither of which are very hard to figure out) then you'll be fine.

As for battles, the only two things you can do to command other characters in real time are tell them to focus on the enemy you have targeted and have everyone run away (basically the follow you). You can also activate a chain link which pauses the action and allows you to select at least one arte and it will let you cycle through your team selecting artes until it ends for various reasons. Combat is really set up in a way that you largely only have to focus on yourself, unless you choose to use Sharla, who's main usage is for healing. The AI usually isn't too bad about doing their jobs outside of Melia and 7th (some people don't like Shulk as a PC either).

nintendofreak_2

Alright, thanks for the answers! I'll probably pick up Xenoblade on my next trip to GameStop.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I had to call my store too. I thought the CD was in the Case like it usually is with most games but no it was sepreate. (also the guy that gave it to me wasn't too "into" his Job from the looks of it.)

Glad I got it though! It's a GREAT soundtrack for just 7 songs.

The Game is pretty good too!

not at all like Traditional RPGs, but I wouldn't say it goes in depth like Xenoblade. The Story is a bit straight forward and there's no way to keep track with all of the Side Quests, which bothers me.

Really solid game though, Played nearly 8 hours of it straight, might play again later.

Only thing I hate so far is that it has Multiplayer, since it's on the Wii the only way I can actually effectively play it is to gather some people and play a Private Match with them since NO ONE PLAYS ONLINE FOR THE Wii! Matchmaking is completely worthless. hate that the Wii's Online got this way.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AutoPilotOn
I am loving this game so far. Already 5 hours in just today. Sometimes the game slows down so much though its kind of annoying but other than that its fun.
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

I did not pre-order the game but managed to find it at Gamestop today. The first Gamestop I went to was sold out and the manager told me that outside of the pre-orders they only had 2 extra copies which were gone sometime on Friday. I called another one nearby and they had 1 left so I drove over and got it there instead. I was pleasantly surprised when the employee handed me the soundtrack... thought it was supposed to be a pre-order only bonus.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I did not pre-order the game but managed to find it at Gamestop today. The first Gamestop I went to was sold out and the manager told me that outside of the pre-orders they only had 2 extra copies which were gone sometime on Friday. I called another one nearby and they had 1 left so I drove over and got it there instead. I was pleasantly surprised when the employee handed me the soundtrack... thought it was supposed to be a pre-order only bonus.

Orlando_Magic

It was, you just got lucky I think.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

My copy arrived from Amazon today. I haven't touched a video game in months, but I'm going to play Last Story very soon...

Right after I play Xenoblade first :P

yokofox33

Holy hell. I didn't know you still come to gamespot since I hardly see you in OT any more...

I plan on buying a copy of the game soon....

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendofreak_2

I got my copy from Amazon today (about 4 days early :D). Gonna play it some later this afternoon.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
my copy just shipped, should have it in a couple weeks.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'm definitely buying this next month. I'm overwhelmed with JRPGs at the moment.

ANIMEguy10034
I think that's just boss battle mode but if it's actual storyline, I'll be getting this game soon.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bbkkristian
I beat the game today; I was left with a satisfied feeling. The ending was done well; along with the Final Boss. I can't get enough of the Battle system; it is truly exemplary; I focus on not losing any lives to keep the pressure believe it or not I survive longer by doing so :P I give this game a 9.0; spot on with GS's review.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

nini200

I think that's just boss battle mode but if it's actual storyline, I'll be getting this game soon.

The online co-op is only an arena-styIed boss raid

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I pre-ordered online but didn't get a music cd with it. I've only played about an hour or so but I really like it.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nintendofreak_2

I am seriously enjoying this game. I'm around chapter 30 and things are really getting interesting. I'm very happy I decided to buy this game, because right now it's competing for a top 5 spot on my favorite Wii games, even with it's crappy framerate and graphical glitches.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bbkkristian

even with it's crappy framerate and graphical glitches.

nintendofreak_2
That's why I use Gale on a "patch" of magic circles; they tend to slow down the game :P
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendofreak_2

That's why I use Gale on a "patch" of magic circles; they tend to slow down the game :P bbkkristian
Yeah those and all of the other effects certainly don't help.

Anyway, I just finished the game and I have to say, this game is right up there with Xenoblade in a lot of ways for me. TLS didn't really catch me off guard with many of the story's "shockers" but I can't say I've played many games that are as good as this one is the entire time through. The only things in the game that I don't like in the game as far as points in the story are so short that they are pretty irrelevant (to avoid spoilers, I'll just say "cell" and "swimming" and anyone who's played through will probably know what I'm getting at). Really the only thing I can put against this game is that it has some awful framerates, occasional glitches, and because of how closed off the environments are the camera sometimes causes issues during battle. The only thing I would have liked were some more open environments to explore, especially with how beautiful the world is, but I understand that the system's limitations had more to do with that than anything else.

I loved the characters from the first chapter. Right away you get a sense of who they are and what they're fighting for. It's amazing how much attention to detail the developers put into every little thing too. You can tell just by running through the streets of the island (or wherever you are) that this game was a labor of love and that the developers really wanted to put out a game that immerses you into the world. Mistwalker deserves so much more than what they are going to get from this game, and it's a travesty that people who worked as hard as they did won't be rewarded in the way that they should.

If nothing else, getting to play Xenoblade Chronicles, Radiant Historia, and The Last Story this summer was an absolute pleasure, and I'm honestly happy to say that I was able to do so.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]That's why I use Gale on a "patch" of magic circles; they tend to slow down the game :P nintendofreak_2

Anyway, I just finished the game and I have to say, this game is right up there with Xenoblade in a lot of ways for me. TLS didn't really catch me off guard with many of the story's "shockers" but I can't say I've played many games that are as good as this one is the entire time through. The only things in the game that I don't like in the game as far as points in the story are so short that they are pretty irrelevant (to avoid spoilers, I'll just say "cell" and "swimming" and anyone who's played through will probably know what I'm getting at). Really the only thing I can put against this game is that it has some awful framerates, occasional glitches, and because of how closed off the environments are the camera sometimes causes issues during battle. The only thing I would have liked were some more open environments to explore, especially with how beautiful the world is, but I understand that the system's limitations had more to do with that than anything else.

I loved the characters from the first chapter. Right away you get a sense of who they are and what they're fighting for. It's amazing how much attention to detail the developers put into every little thing too. You can tell just by running through the streets of the island (or wherever you are) that this game was a labor of love and that the developers really wanted to put out a game that immerses you into the world. Mistwalker deserves so much more than what they are going to get from this game, and it's a travesty that people who worked as hard as they did won't be rewarded in the way that they should.

If nothing else, getting to play Xenoblade Chronicles, Radiant Historia, and The Last Story this summer was an absolute pleasure, and I'm honestly happy to say that I was able to do so.

Simply put: I agree with everything you said :P This game is a true gem.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nintendofreak_2

Just thought I'd mention something interesting I'd noticed when I was playing this. Jirall and Alvis (from Xenoblade) have the same voice actor. Fun fact for everyone. :P

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bbkkristian

Just thought I'd mention something interesting I'd noticed when I was playing this. Jirall and Alvis (from Xenoblade) have the same voice actor. Fun fact for everyone. :P

nintendofreak_2
Lol I knew something felt familiar about Alvis when I started playing Xenoblade again :P
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]That's why I use Gale on a "patch" of magic circles; they tend to slow down the game :P nintendofreak_2

Exactly how I felt about it, good choice of words!

Angelnish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Angelnish
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts
Nice thread dear. Awesome Game.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I beat the game last night. Overall I loved it but I did have issues with the linearity and the battle system even though I liked it a lot. I though the story overall was pretty good for a video game and thought the characters overall were awesome.

And the music is amazing to no surprise. I wish the CD had more then 7 tracks but oh well.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#48 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Finished the game earlier this afternoon. Color me impressed, I didn't think it'd be this good. A very solid 8.5 from me. However, I must ask, was Zael a frickin' dunce or something? Every plot twist was beyond predictable (one of my main faults with the game, I was never once surprised), and yet Zael is shocked every time something is revealed. What the hell?
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Finished the game earlier this afternoon. Color me impressed, I didn't think it'd be this good. A very solid 8.5 from me. However, I must ask, was Zael a frickin' dunce or something? Every plot twist was beyond predictable (one of my main faults with the game, I was never once surprised), and yet Zael is shocked every time something is revealed. What the hell?GamerForca

Agreed with everything you said.

The story was pretty predictable. Even more then Xenoblade.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I finally finished Xenoblade Chronicles this Sunday (from which i have some things to say too in the respective thread, but in a word, Amazing ) and today i began with The Last Story, i played for just a couple of hours and i have some mixed reactions with the game, don't get me wrong, i liked it, but it has some issues right in the beginning.

First of all, the graphics are...kind of bad, maybe not bad but a little bit rough on the edges, i do get that this is a Wii game, but men, Xenoblade was beautiful or maybe they just made a great work by hiding some nasty details, however, the camera is too close in this game and you cannot avoid to notice some of the issues with the graphics.

The characters are ok, they are nice and all just nothing out of the ordinary and the story seems to be pretty basic (evil empire, big mystery, and a lead man who falls in love right away with the cute princess) but let's see where it goes from there.

The voices aren't that bad, but i wish there was an option to change it to japanese.

The gameplay is weird, however it looks great, it is fun and i like the sense of strategy, i'm really looking forward to see how it evolves.

The music seems to be pretty good too.

Anyway, that seems to be much for just barely a couple of hours of play :P Overall i liked what i saw.