The Castlevania Mirror of Fate demo....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

The game play is more like a 2-D version of God of War than a traditional Castlevania game, at least it seems that way to me. I had to turn the 3D slider all the way down too...way too much ghosting. But still seems like a solid game though. Did the demo change anyones mind about getting the game?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
It just reaffirmed my opinion.
darksongbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 darksongbird
Member since 2009 • 1237 Posts

thanks for posting this. i had no clue about the game but i will download the demo.

danjin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 danjin44
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
Well I personally really enjoyed it but also knew it wasn't gonna play like old school Castlevania, I mean it is part of Lords Of Shadow series.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

I only play IGAvanias. 

I hate the God of War series. 

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

you can't even hit the candles or lamps in the game. Now is that castlevania? for me it sucked. I would have bought the game but I played the demo and I think im gonna PASSSSS!!!.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts
It seems fun. Personally, I'd rather have a "normal" Castlevania, but the demo wasn't bad..
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#8 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts
I'm holding out for reviews. After the demo I was left unimpressed with the gameplay; it felt slow and I feel combat like this would get tedious over ten-plus hours. I loved Lords of Shadow so I'm holding out hope that this ends up being a strong title but I'll wait to read some reviews and opinions before jumping onboard.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
it wasn't overly bad but i disliked on how weak Trevor's attacks seemed or how much life normal enemies have, the 3d looked nice but it really isn't as big of a impact as some games, i'll get the game at discount price but i don't think its worth 40$.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Combat and platforming just seems clunky like (which is not really good with the god of war like combat) and with the demo running poorly most of the time, it really turned me off. I wasn't expecting much and yet I still disappointed mostly that it wasn't running well.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
I wasn't to interested in the game to start with, was going to shape my opinion around the demo. Now I'm not interested at all.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I thought it was excellent.

It's gone straight onto my must-have list.  There's really nothing else like it on 3DS.

I don't have a history with Castlevania, so I can't really judge how it rates against previous games, but it definitely seems like fun, and that's good enough for me.  The design and the graphics are first-rate.  It's one of the best-looking games on the console. 

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
It had nice graphics and good 3D effect, but it felt clunky, and the music was NOTHING like Castlevania.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'm not that big of a Castlevania fan. I find the game appealing, I like the mechanics (I'm all for 2D GoW), it looks good but the performance is bad. It could look a bit worse if it only ran better, use more 2D backgrounds or something. It's not fun to play at this state.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
I found myself wanting more after playing the demo. should release soon too. today anyways on eshop. well hopefully it does.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Reviews are already out and they're pretty much all over the place. IGN gave it a 4.7, while EuroGamer and Edge gave it a 7. GameInformer gave it an 8.5 and ONM gave it a 92. Personally, I really disliked the demo.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Reviews are already out and they're pretty much all over the place. IGN gave it a 4.7, while EuroGamer and Edge gave it a 7. GameInformer gave it an 8.5 and ONM gave it a 92. Personally, I really disliked the demo.Haziqonfire
As did I; I refuse to give them money to support this kind of junk that they call "modern" Castlevania. How in the world did it get so many "best in show" accolades at E3?! I don't play the CV series because I want a hack-and-slash, but an action-adventure that may or may not have RPG elements.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 haziqonfire
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]Reviews are already out and they're pretty much all over the place. IGN gave it a 4.7, while EuroGamer and Edge gave it a 7. GameInformer gave it an 8.5 and ONM gave it a 92. Personally, I really disliked the demo.

As did I; I refuse to give them money to support this kind of junk that they call "modern" Castlevania. How in the world did it get so many "best in show" accolades at E3?!

Did it really? The demo was thoroughly unimpressive. I applaud them I suppose for trying to make Castlevania more modern (I guess, though what was really wrong with the old formula?) but the end result is pretty poor. Floaty jumping, God of War button mashy gameplay, generic music, poor character design and level design.
Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Woe2spread

I found it unique and fun. idk why you guys hate fun tho lol?!?!?! and also biggest game tto download being 11k blocks lol oi.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Woe2spread

ya after downloading this game sucks with 3d. it is totally ghosting. videos are great in 3d near perfect but not the actuall gameplay ugh. total ghosting and thats a 3d feature that shouldnt be there. im sorry for my comments before but do not buy unless you dont need 3d but only in videos. lol. ugh im sory this game is terribad. gameplay is fun tho to me like on boss fights and regulars. idk. but the ghosting is bad mmmkay.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Woe2spread
and I wonder did they do it on purpose? idk tho
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

I found it unique and fun. idk why you guys hate fun tho lol?!?!?! 

Woe2spread

We don't hate fun. The thing is that this game is not fun. 

Know what would have been fun? IGAvania Metroidvania, that's what would have been fun. I don't find God of War to be fun, at all. 

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

I'm really enjoying the game. Some great combat and a decent bit of exploration via backtracking. Pretty damn linear but platforming feels pretty good and fun. Framerate is meh but acceptable.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'm really enjoying the game. Some great combat and a decent bit of exploration via backtracking. Pretty damn linear but platforming feels pretty good and fun. Framerate is meh but acceptable.

OreoMilkshake

Developers need to get their **** together, facts straight and priorities in order. If your engine can't handle nice graphics without considerable slowdown, change the engine, don't bother at all, or make a slower paced game that doesn't need precision. Like chess.

Edit: Look at DKC Returns, looks great AND runs great. It doesn't seem to use normal maps or any other fancy texturing techniques, but at least it runs great.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
I didn't play the demo but I watched YouTube videos of the gameplay, looks fine to me at least, seems like everyone with an opinion is pretty invested in the series so I'm wondering if someone like me who hasn't played a Castlevania game since the original NES game would like it or not? Is it really as bad as some people let on, or was it just disappointing for longtime fans?
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#26 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I didn't play the demo but I watched YouTube videos of the gameplay, looks fine to me at least, seems like everyone with an opinion is pretty invested in the series so I'm wondering if someone like me who hasn't played a Castlevania game since the original NES game would like it or not? Is it really as bad as some people let on, or was it just disappointing for longtime fans?lamprey263

Seems like it is up and down for reviewers and gamers. I'm not a longtime fan, only having played Lords of Shadow and Symphony of the Night (played this one last year) but I was disappointed in the demo. I've listed my reasons for disliking it plenty so I won't waste time again, but I'd recommend checking out the demo. 

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

IGN gave it a 4.7Haziqonfire
Ouch.

Although I was disappointed with the demo, I don't think I'll dislike it that much. :shock:

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

I didn't play the demo but I watched YouTube videos of the gameplay, looks fine to me at least, seems like everyone with an opinion is pretty invested in the series so I'm wondering if someone like me who hasn't played a Castlevania game since the original NES game would like it or not? Is it really as bad as some people let on, or was it just disappointing for longtime fans?lamprey263
Haven't played Castlevania since the NES days? Do yourself a favour and pick up at least Dawn of Sorrow (the first of the three DS Castlevania games). Seriously, pick it up.

As for Mirror of Fate, I thought the demo was pretty bad. I don't like the way the character moves and jumps. Feels floaty and clunky. I liked the original Lords of Shadow, but I'd much prefer a Metroidvania style game.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I'm actually enjoying the game. It's a throwback to the NES Castlevanias.

While I would say that there may not be anything outstanding about it (so far, at least, I haven't played much), there also aren't any huge flaws. It's a solid action/platformer - again, just like the NES (and even SNES) games. And while it definitely doesn't run at 60fps, I haven't seen any framerate issues. It's been solid at whatever fps it is. It certainly hasn't detracted from the game. And framerate issues are one of my biggest complaints, so I'd definitely complain about it if I saw it (again, maybe in later parts of the game it may show up).

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#30 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
The game moved from my follow up list to my wish list. It's pretty good IMO. I played Super Castlevania on the SNES/VC only but it was never quite my kind of game. This one is great and I love the 3D effect. This and MH3U, again IMO, uses the 3D in a pretty good fashion. I almost forgot how good a 3D game can look until these 2 demos popped out, literally. Regards!
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#31 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]IGN gave it a 4.7ANIMEguy10034

Ouch.

Although I was disappointed with the demo, I don't think I'll dislike it that much. :shock:

IGN doesn't seem to have good reviews lately. I think that, if you look at Metracritic you can find some reviewers are liking the game much more.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
it wasn't overly bad but i disliked on how weak Trevor's attacks seemed or how much life normal enemies have, the 3d looked nice but it really isn't as big of a impact as some games, i'll get the game at discount price but i don't think its worth 40$.elbert_b_23
I thought the same thing before I found the combo list. The combos and special moves are listed in the skills menu that you get to via the touchscreen...
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 haziqonfire

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]IGN gave it a 4.7ANIMEguy10034

Ouch.

The guy who reviewed it is an avid Castlevania fan. So while I don't think this game looks very good, I'm also saying he might be a tad bit bias :P, for better or worse.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Woe2spread
Enrique nailed what I was trying to say. you have to unlock moves and stuff also. like double jump which is already in the demo having. you are level 13 in the demo I think so leaves some advantage to keep playing for me. I think the ign reviewer just wanted iga and then there was an article on gamespot that director didn't want to go that route doin iga. so this game is handheld linear castlevania style not iga lol. I find it challenging and kinda fun if you explore within the maps but ya. I totally see your points of it not being of course. I actually though of spending 45 bucks to get the three ds castlvania games over this one. ugh.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

you can't even hit the candles or lamps in the game. Now is that castlevania? foxfacer2d2
:lol: The first thing I did in the demo was try to hit the candle that you come across right away. At first I thought I missed it, so I tried again and again then realized that I couldn't hit it. The most disappointing thing was that my very first thought when I started walking forward was "oh awesome, a candle! Good to see they're going old school with this!" Then I never had that thought a single time in the rest of the demo.

Look at the beginning of Aria of Sorrow compared to what you get in the Mirror of Fate demo. Quick movement, snappy combat, multiple paths in the first corridor, awesome music.... That's the stuff that makes 2D Castlevania fun to me, and Mirror of Fate had NONE of that in the demo.

I was moderately hopeful for the game, but the demo completely turned me off from it. I'm sure there's a game there that people can like, but it's not what I'm looking for.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

My biggest issue with the demo was the frame rate. The actual combat was acually pretty fun. I also disliked he QTEs, but if I can look past them in Bayonetta, then I can for this game, as long as the other aspects of the game can bring enjoyment.

I'm thinking I'll probably buy this game a some point.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Woe2spread
ya there are minibosses and then there are bosses in this game. and lol ya I tried to fight the candles too lol. to no avail haha. idk its not iga since you can do over 20 combat moves eh. older games give ya 2-3 attacks much. lol. idk I think its playable tho. just learn to block and evade lol. counter-attack!!!! then it gives you the upkip in taekwondo lol. that's insane lol. anyways cheers mates!
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I almost cancelled my preorder over the demo. I'm glad I didn't get down to my local Gamestop before it launched and locked me in. The game is pretty excellent.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 El_Zo1212o
Oh, and to the "2d God of War" detractors: it's about damn time. Castlevania has always been 'Whip forward. Whip forward. Whip forward.' It's taken entirely too long for combat to evolve in the Castlevania series.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Oh, and to the "2d God of War" detractors: it's about damn time. Castlevania has always been 'Whip forward. Whip forward. Whip forward.' It's taken entirely too long for combat to evolve in the Castlevania series.El_Zo1212o

Agreed I think people are complaining way too much about something that would just be inexcusable for this decade.  The game should not have had quicktime events though.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
No Metrovania, no buy.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Oh, and to the "2d God of War" detractors: it's about damn time. Castlevania has always been 'Whip forward. Whip forward. Whip forward.' It's taken entirely too long for combat to evolve in the Castlevania series.Sora278

Agreed I think people are complaining way too much about something that would just be inexcusable for this decade.  The game should not have had quicktime events though.

As far as QTEs go, aside from the nonsense of 'tap button repeatedly to open door/box,' I didn't mind them at all. Some of the boss finishers were really slick. And the prompts were right where they belonged- on the edges of the screen corresponding to their placement. So you can watch the action instead of looking for the prompts.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 El_Zo1212o
No Metrovania, no buy.funsohng
That was my first reaction too. Storywise this is up there with the best Castlevanias I've ever played. And I've played a lot of them. It basically is MV-style, it's just that the game kinda leads you along by the nose all the time. Kinda like Metroid: Zero Mission did.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="Sora278"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Oh, and to the "2d God of War" detractors: it's about damn time. Castlevania has always been 'Whip forward. Whip forward. Whip forward.' It's taken entirely too long for combat to evolve in the Castlevania series.El_Zo1212o

As far as QTEs go, aside from the nonsense of 'tap button repeatedly to open door/box,' I didn't mind them at all. Some of the boss finishers were really slick. And the prompts were right where they belonged- on the edges of the screen corresponding to their placement. So you can watch the action instead of looking for the prompts.

Yeah watching those cinematics in 3D was the best part of the game, like riding a roller coaster, so I didn't mind the quick time events.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

IDK what where reviewers thinking. Best Castlevania game since SOTN.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I wish they stayed the "Dawn of Sorrow" course when they decided to make another Castlevania on 3DS .The demo did not interest me. Then again, I had to play without the use of my L and R buttons since both have stopped working a few months ago....
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 El_Zo1212o
Endgame spoiler question: [spoiler] Am I the only one who figured Alucard was Trevor the first time he ever spoke? [/spoiler]
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Oh, and to the "2d God of War" detractors: it's about damn time. Castlevania has always been 'Whip forward. Whip forward. Whip forward.' It's taken entirely too long for combat to evolve in the Castlevania series.Sora278

I didn't particularly enjoy combat, but there's TOO much focus on it in this game, complete with locked rooms. You shouldn't have to sacrifice aspects of the games in order to improve others.
RoniHot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RoniHot
Member since 2013 • 219 Posts
LOL I can't make it past the first guy in the demo. Yeah, I'm lame.