So... The Wii U. What does it need?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1 Neonakaa
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

I am interested to see what you, the Nintendo community thinks that the Wii U needs.

My guess? Time. It just needs time, the PS3 had a rough launch and they made a profit in 2012. If Sony can make a 180 THAT large, so could Nintendo.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It needs games. Killer, must-buy, exclusive, original titles to be specific. Its current first-party library are of high quality, but they look and play too similarly to previous installments. For example, New Super Mario Bros U and every NSMB before it, Super Mario 3D World and 3D Land, Donkey Kong Returns Tropical Freeze and DKR, and so on. Way too many people judge a game by its cover or a 5 minute trailer and those people do not see the Wii U worth buying with what it currently offers. The Wii U also has too many (downgraded) ports that can be played on cheaper consoles with larger user bases.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

it needs a game that people say wow...i want this no matter what....

im hoping mario kart or smash bros will be this game....X and hyrule warriors might move some units in japan...

the wiiu eshop is definitely going to grow this year..lots of indie support coming...plus nintendo says GBA and DS games are coming also on the virtual console...

by the time this year ends wiiU might be a solid platform that deserves sales...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@neonakaa said:

I am interested to see what you, the Nintendo community thinks that the Wii U needs.

My guess? Time. It just needs time, the PS3 had a rough launch and they made a profit in 2012. If Sony can make a 180 THAT large, so could Nintendo.

The Wii U launch is many times worse than the PS3 launch. I really wish people would stop using that as a measuring stick because they are in no way comparable.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Neonakaa

@Jaysonguy: But the 20 gig models made Sony LOSE money, they cost 800$ to make but were sold for 500$. This made Sony lose 3.5 billion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

@neonakaa said:

@Jaysonguy: But the 20 gig models made Sony LOSE money, they cost 800$ to make but were sold for 500$. This made Sony lose 3.5 billion.

What?

It's much more complicated than that. I mean Sony also lost 30-36 dollars for ever user who played on their online service each year.

The Wii U is nothing at all like the PS3. The PS3 was the strongest, most capable piece of hardware that was pushing a new format into the public while also trying to expand their studios and obtain 3rd party players who wanted to add extra incentives for players who picked the PS3 to game on.

The Wii U is nothing like that at all

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

It just needs games and nintendo is building their 2nd party a little at least and unifying the 3ds and U dev teams, this will help more games come out more frequent. Its all about the games and why they had none from the start baffles me, maybe they were taking a break.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

A short drop and a sudden stop.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

a killer app. it needs something that can only be done on the wiiu and grabs peoples attention.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#10 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Games and better marketing. The people who actually know it's a whole new system aren't buying it because it just doesn't have the library that warrants a $300 purchase.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It needs more games. More good, big games. It's not going to be a commercial success and we shouldn't care, we should care about what we're getting. They need to focus on getting quality games out fast, that's really all they can do at this point.

They can build bridges they burned down with their next console and maybe then they'll be prepared for the next generation of technology and services.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

In terms of sales, it needs something that hooks the mass audience. As far as my own, personal preferences, I hope it doesn't latch in people the way Wii Sports did. I know that sounds crazy, but I remember the dark days of 2008, when the core Nintendo gamer was completely forgotten because the other market was doing so well. I'd be perfectly happy if they amped up the efforts of their current direction -- more first party, Nintendo goodness, but games that take advantage of the touch screen in a meaningful way.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

In terms of sales, it needs something that hooks the mass audience. As far as my own, personal preferences, I hope it doesn't latch in people the way Wii Sports did. I know that sounds crazy, but I remember the dark days of 2008, when the core Nintendo gamer was completely forgotten because the other market was doing so well. I'd be perfectly happy if they amped up the efforts of their current direction -- more first party, Nintendo goodness, but games that take advantage of the touch screen in a meaningful way.

Nintendo's core is the casual and children.

It's been since day one and their toy robot

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Jaysonguy: Children, yes. Casuals, no. The casual market I'm talking about didn't exist in large quantities until the Wii launched.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Neonakaa

@Jaysonguy: I am not flacking the PS3. I own one, and I think their use of BLU-RAY really was a good idea. All im saying is PS3 = Rough launch. Wii U = Rough launch. But time CAN change that, the PS3 made a profit in 2012 even though it hit the crapper in losses.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

What wii u needs is quality third party support and I don't mean EA and those other douchewaffles who release an inferior version of their game on wii u, are late with dlc or don't give us dlc, release an old game at full price and then turn around and release a collection of the entire series on other consoles, and cancel console exclusivity to go multiplat.

We need 3rd party that will give use the whole package not broken shit that's missing modes of play. Its like they think we're a bunch of ill informed imbeciles who don't know what we're buying

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

Third Party Support (They had this problem for a couple of generations, I do not know what is wrong with them.)

Proper Online Account System (People all over, are complaining about this, again I do not know what is wrong with them.)

Region Free (This is more of a personal problem for me, because I either want video games that will always be exclusive to Japan and would not sell well here or I dislike how a video game is localized outside Japan by Nintendo or another company and wish to import the Japanese version or I simply want the Japanese version of a video game in my collection.)

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

More games - bigger games, & damn advertise other *games* NOT just Nintendo made games..they are so into the family thing..they don't show other games. Just look at Xbone/PS4 advertisement then look at Nintendo's ..its a joke. Why didn't they advertise games like Nano Assault Neo - Shin'en? all exclusive games on Wii U eg. W101, Bayonetta 2, X, & SMTxFE should be advertise alongside Nintendo games..heck even deserve their own advertisement. Just showing Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Pikmin 3 & Cat Mario won't cut it. Treat the current devs creating great games/content well..& try to get back with 3rd party secure exclusives..if multiplat make sure Wii U version is not lacking stuff from competitors. Get on track with internet..its here to stay..so games design for multiplayer should include online multiplayer not just local.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Some good PR.