Should the next Nintendo handheld play Android/IOS apps/games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll Should the next Nintendo handheld play Android/IOS apps/games? (14 votes)

Yes. 29%
No. 71%

Yo.

Was thinking...Why do people think that mobile/cell phone gaming is going to rule over handheld console gaming?

Why not make a handheld console do everything that the Ipad, or whatever, can do? Runs Apps, plays all of those cheap games, plays Facebook, Instagrahmcracker, Twitter, Myspace, Hulu, Netflix, etc, while STILL being a detacated console?

Make it $200 or less, and BOOOM. Mobile phone/Ipad gaming is now obsolete...

Good idea or bad?

• 
PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

If it ever happens one day, just remember...IT WAS MY IDEA!!! MINE!!!

*dedicated*

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It's a good idea. It would certainly help fill the gaps between releases.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PikachuDude860

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

It's a good idea. It would certainly help fill the gaps between releases.

Agreed. I'd like to think that everyone who's interested in smart phones, Ipods, Ipads, etc, will be interested in this as well. Could become another Wii.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PikachuDude860

If nobody else cares about this thread, can somebody please delete it? Pretty please? Thank you.

Avatar image for Undue_Influence
Undue_Influence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Undue_Influence
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

I think the biggest issue is that 3rd party developers will need to get there content released on the Nintendo OS. Currently developers have the IOS app store, Play store for Android and then Microsoft Store for windows devices. This creates another platform for release, requiring different coding work and also requires Nintendo to allow games like jet pack joyride onto the e-store, and apps like FB etc to be developed for their operating system and onto the estore.

I do not think Nintendo should go down that route as it confuses the messaging from Nintendo as being a dedicated Nintendo handheld device, where there own intellectual property thrives. I think they would see it as diluting control and quality assurance on the device. The only way I see them doing it is not a hand held but if they wanted to go head on with Apple and Samsung etc and start selling Nintenphones.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#6 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I think they would be a good idea but I was thinking they could already do that now but they just need the developer support. Games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope shouldn't be physical releases but rather cheap digital downloads on the eShop. Apps like Facebook and Instagram? Why not as long as the developers make the app specifically for the device instead of Nintendo making the device specifically for those apps.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

According to Iwata they are already working on more ports of Mobile/ios games to N3DS. If it takes off like they are hoping then I wouldn't be surprised if the next handheld ends up with full android/ios support. Maybe. It depends on if Nintendo can find a way to lock it down on their system.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Um... no.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

im really interested to see what nintendo are going to do in the handheld space.

they could certainly create an android based device (but with the google stuff removed) and make it as easy as possible to make existing android games work on the new device. just the games have to be bought through the estore instead of the play store. ouya have done something similar.

it could be interesting to use that as the base OS for their next console also.

but its a linux based OS....i dont think nintendo are keen in contributing back code to open source projects. (though a completely open handheld from nintendo could be an interesting proposition...as long as nintendo can still find a way to make it pay for them).

nintendo would be incapable of creating a new OS with the features and robustness of something like android/IOS/windows or Orbis OS (The PS4s OS, based on BSD) from scratch. not even sony can do it from scratch and they are far bigger and have far more experience in the area and MS dont write new OSs from scratch with each new xbox. also making a new OS would mean netflix, facebook and so on would need to make new apps and maintain those apps over the life of the console (which currently barely happens on nintendo platforms.).

so if they were to make such a device that could have the features of android/IOS they would need to start from an existing base and learn it well. BSD would be the most suitable for them since the BSD license does not require code to be contributed back. but BSD is just a kernel....the rest of the stack would still need to be developed. android would give them more of a leg up i think but, as i say, it would require contributions back to android.

i have no idea what they are going to do.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

LOLOLOLOL NO.