Retro's Game new IP?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=203646

This would be interesting if true. I am half-expecting a new Metroid Prime from them, which would be really cool to see, but a new IP could excite me even more.   

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I hope it is a new IP; Retro said they wanted to take a long break from Metroid; They only took a 4 year break from Metroid since Metroid Prime Trilogy was released in 2009.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'd be okay with whatever Retro wants to do :)

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

New IP would be great. 

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

For the sake of the developer, I actually hope so. Retro paid its dues and proved its worth with the Metroid Prime series, and it would be a shame to see such a team more or less wasting away reviving old IPs. Say what you will about Donkey Kong Country Returns, but I think Nintendo using them for such a project was a waste of its artistic and technical talent, and the developer continuing in that direction would be pretty sad, IMO.

I want to see Retro whip up something new before it loses all of its key talent and/or becomes known as simply a team responsible for bringing back lesser-known brands that Nintendo isn't interested in doing itself.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I don't oppose a MP4, but I just don't see why it would be necessary to make one, story wise.

The trilogy revolved around the Phazon substance, the transfiguation of Metroid Prime into Dark Samus, and ridding the Phazon and killing Dark Samus once and for all.

All ends tie together (with the exception of the 100% ending Prime 3, but after 6 years, it still not definite of what "it" was).

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Well it doesn't need to be titled Metroid Prime...just a new first person Metroid game with a new story. :p

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

That would be interesting, but I really REALLY would love another first person Metroid game from them. The Prime trilogy are three of the best games in the industry, but they've all been on relatively similar hardware. I want to know what they could do with Metroid on a much more powerful system

idill23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 idill23
Member since 2004 • 1135 Posts

I'd be okay with whatever Retro wants to do :)

trugs26
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#10 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Now that Next Level Games seems to be the company responsible for bringing back old franchises, I am all for letting Retro do their thing and see what comes out of it.

Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
I would love a new IP...but I would love a new Star Fox game too. :)
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Personally tho, prefer new IP, but if they're to bring out a Metroid game, then I hope it'd be 3rd person with camera angle looking from behind, like on the Nintendo Land game....so I don't have to stop every hour or so due to motion sickness, in first person game. :P

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts
Starfox. Nothing more needs to be said.
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Master_Of_Fools

For the sake of the developer, I actually hope so. Retro paid its dues and proved its worth with the Metroid Prime series, and it would be a shame to see such a team more or less wasting away reviving old IPs. Say what you will about Donkey Kong Country Returns, but I think Nintendo using them for such a project was a waste of its artistic and technical talent, and the developer continuing in that direction would be pretty sad, IMO.

I want to see Retro whip up something new before it loses all of its key talent and/or becomes known as simply a team responsible for bringing back lesser-known brands that Nintendo isn't interested in doing itself.

Madmangamer364
Nintendo SPECIFICALLY created Retro to work on other Nintendo Franchises that Nintendo themselfs dont have the time for. As well as reviving Nintendos games that got swept under the rug. Metroid was revived, Donkey Kong was revived, now its time for Starfox to be revived.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Master_Of_Fools

Nintendo SPECIFICALLY created Retro to work on other Nintendo Franchises that Nintendo themselfs dont have the time for. As well as reviving Nintendos games that got swept under the rug. Metroid was revived, Donkey Kong was revived, now its time for Starfox to be revived.

Retro started out working on multiple new IPs but then Nintendo cancelled them all so they could focus on Metroid Prime.

Nintendo didn't ask Retro to make DKCR; Retro heard that Nintendo wanted to bring back DKC and they actually requested to work on DKCR because they are huge fans of the SNES titles and the president of Retro worked on them when he was at Nintendo of America.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

Well we should find out next week. As much as I would love a new Star Fox game, a new IP could be fantastic.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I love the Metroid Prime games I can't get enough of them. I think Retro did a fantastic job with the Metriod series. I would like to see them keep working on the Metroid brand. I want a whole new entry into the Metroid saga and I want Retro to do it. I want them to reinvent Metroid all over again with a new trilogy and Samus in 3rd person with a whole hd world to explore. To this day there are few games that can match the atmosphere of Metorid Prime Trilogy. At this point no one knows Metroid better then Retro. Nintendo totally screwed up Other M. The game wasn't flat our horrible but it wasnt' as good as the previous games. I've been playing Metroid games since the first on the NES. I've been a die hard fan of the series for over 25 years. Metroid is more important to me then any new IP.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

I'd be happy with Starfox or new IP. Give Metroid a break. I want my furry friends back in action! Or... ya know... new IP is cool too.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Of_Fools

Retro Studios was CREATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE TO MAKE NINTENDO GAMES. They are basically an add on to Nintendo. They revive Nintendos games that either get swept under the rug like Metroid and Donkey Kong and STARFOX. Or they work on games that Nintendo just doesnt have the time to do it themselfs. Hence why they are called "RETRO" While they WOULD be great at new IPS it just aint happening. They were making 4IP's when they were making MP1, but Miyamoto had them cancelled. This year is the 20th anniversary of Starfox...

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Of_Fools

Madmangamer364

Thats the exact reason WHY RETRO WAS CREATED. Miyamoto said so in an interview years ago lol.