Rayman appears in Super Smash Bros. as a trophy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

This is to let everyone know that Rayman has been announced to appear in the upcoming Smash Bros game, but as a trophy. This would mark the first time that a third-party character created outside of Japan is represented in a Smash Bros. game.

Source

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Awesome! And random! I like seeing Smash branch out into a general video game museum. I wonder if he'll be the character reveal tonight... Previously the most likely character was Shulk, but now it looks like we have a new contender.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Interesting. I never really considered Rayman as a possibility for Smash Bros. TBH though, I'm getting a little sick of 3rd party characters. Even in Brawl, I could understand Sonic because of his rivalry with Mario, but Snake, that came out of nowhere and he didn't really fit.

Same this time around, Sonic is still a great fit, but Pac-Man, Mega-Man and now possibly Rayman, it's too much, especially when we still don't know the fates of characters from the past games like Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Lucas, MetaKnight, Ness, R.O.B, Wario, and Wolf and there are still a ton of Nintendo characters that have still never made the cut like Issac and Shulk.

At this rate Smash 5 will probably be a multiplatform title using characters from across all major game devs/publishers.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@spike6958 said:

Interesting. I never really considered Rayman as a possibility for Smash Bros. TBH though, I'm getting a little sick of 3rd party characters. Even in Brawl, I could understand Sonic because of his rivalry with Mario, but Snake, that came out of nowhere and he didn't really fit.

Same this time around, Sonic is still a great fit, but Pac-Man, Mega-Man and now possibly Rayman, it's too much, especially when we still don't know the fates of characters from the past games like Captain Falcon, Falco, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Lucas, MetaKnight, Ness, R.O.B, Wario, and Wolf and there are still a ton of Nintendo characters that have still never made the cut like Issac and Shulk.

At this rate Smash 5 will probably be a multiplatform title using characters from across all major game devs/publishers.

I think I can relate to your feelings a bit. The reason why Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic work in the SSB universe is because of their iconic status in the video game world and their familiarity with Nintendo fans. I just don't see that with Rayman; despite the series' attempts to reach popular mass-market status similar to the previous three characters Rayman hasn't been nearly as successful in captivating even the Nintendo audience in such a way that those other three third party series have managed to at some point in time. Solid Snake kind of gets a pass because his popularity as a character is enough to attract attention, even if the MGS series hasn't exactly taken off on Nintendo platforms. Rayman doesn't even manage that much these days...

This kind of concerns me as to what the future of the series will be, but perhaps I'm already speculating too much into the matter. Honestly, though, outside of the three third party characters and a few returning favorites, SSB4's roster doesn't really speak to me much at all right now. (Of course, today's reveal could change things....)

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

It's only for the WII U, correct?

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@outworld222: It's only for the WII U, correct?

What, Smash Bros? It's only on Wii U and 3DS. Unless your talking about the Rayman trophy...I don't know about that.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@outworld222: It's only for the WII U, correct?

What, Smash Bros? It's only on Wii U and 3DS. Unless your talking about the Rayman trophy...I don't know about that.

The Rayman trophy.