Poll: Are Wii owners babies?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#1 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
Kotaku just posted an entry stating that Capcom believes Wii players are a younger base of players, indicating that they might not be interested in developing mature titles for the Wii.
"By and large, I don't see the Wii being home to a sizeable mature playerbase outside of some of the early adopters. I see it as being very, very broad with a family focus."
No Resident Evil? Devil May Cry? What about Okami? I love Mega Man, but Capcom has some great games that I wouldn't want to miss out on just because I picked the Wii over the PS3 or XBox 360.

So how old are you, Wii owners?
Rhezuss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rhezuss
Member since 2005 • 113 Posts

I'm 26 and proud of it. :wink:

And yeah i'm a baby.  Our bodies are aging at the speed of life so lets keep our minds young.

EDIT: But I want to see mature games by the tons (Manhunt, Resident Evil, etc). T-rated games are fun but please...ooooh please Nintendo, give the Wii some mature titles.  Don't want to go fetch a PS3 or 360 to get those M-rated games, but I will if I must.

_vacant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _vacant_
Member since 2006 • 835 Posts
gah. I hate capcom.  If only because, their attitude is what assures nintendo will remain (at least mostly) M rated game-less.  

The assumption is that since wii owners dont want that we wont produce it. The fact of the matter is that wii owners do want at least some of those titles. 

Dont get me wrong, I dont need blood guts and boobs to enjoy a game.  But I do enjoy the violence from time to time. 

Perhaps devs dont realised that a console for everyone includes people who want M rated games, or at least games directed at an older audience.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Why are people having trouble understanding this?
The Wii is going to be used by families and Nintendo has players of all ages.

That means that "mature" games wont be bought by a large chunk of all the users.
Unlike the 360 or PS3 where 80% or more of the owners can purchase the games.

Until the overall base grows for the Wii a company wont risk putting out a mature game that can only be legally bought by 50% of the owners.

This isn't an insult, no need to have your feelings hurt, it's business
OGTiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 OGTiago
Member since 2005 • 6546 Posts
what big gaps.
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 krystians
Member since 2004 • 3577 Posts

And yeah i'm a baby. Our bodies are aging at the speed of life so lets keep our minds young.

EDIT: But I want to see mature games by the tons (Manhunt, Resident Evil, etc). T-rated games are fun but please...ooooh please Nintendo, give the Wii some mature titles. Don't want to go fetch a PS3 or 360 to get those M-rated games, but I will if I must.

Rhezuss
Yes I like E and T games, but I really want more M game like you said. BTW I'm 21 and proud of it.
armytaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 armytaco
Member since 2007 • 298 Posts

I'm only thirteen but there are a few problems:

1) most of the younger wii players dont go on gamespot forums

2) The video game ages are too strict. Its not like im emotionally scared by playing grand theft auto or devil may cry ( which is awesome)

itsmattadams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 itsmattadams
Member since 2006 • 936 Posts
I'm twenty.
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 c0mplex
Member since 2002 • 15382 Posts

That means that "mature" games wont be bought by a large chunk of all the users.

Until the overall base grows for the Wii a company wont risk putting out a mature game that can only be legally bought by 50% of the owners.

Jaysonguy
QFT. the Wii userbase is still 4-5 million players... so companies are not looking forward at taking risks with a potential consumer market that is low to begin with. once the Wii has a large and established userbase, more and more companies will take the risk of releasing games that are seen as "uncommon" on the Wii platform to see if their is an audience for it. this is practically what happened to the PS2 last generation. with such a large market under one platform, it was impossible for everyone who owned a PS2 to have the same taste in gaming... hence why whatever genre/style of game that was sold on the PS2, it sold quite well (maybe not in terms of potential buyer:consumer ratio... but in overall sales).
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

I'm 23 and I don't care at all of M-rated games. From the most M-Rated games I played, most of these games are boring.

As long it's fun and that is appealing to me either 1st party or 3rd party, I'll buy it. Capcom and I are not really a good couple. Resident Evil is meh to me. I'd like a game like Okami.  

jonzilla_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#12 jonzilla_basic
Member since 2002 • 2334 Posts
i would say no
magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
Idiotic post and you don't even have an option in your poll for babies just 0-10 which includes kids and do you expect babies to be searching though these forums and reply to you? 
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 c0mplex
Idiotic post and you don't even have an option in your poll for babies just 0-10 which includes kids and do you expect babies to be searching though these forums and reply to you? magrappy
taking things a bit literal... no?
SakuraNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SakuraNinja
Member since 2006 • 170 Posts
I'll be 19 next month and I could care less about M rated games. They just aren't fun compared to Zelda, Mario, Metroid, SSB, etc.
reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
im 17 and i never cared if a game is E or M heck even if its an AO, as long as its good, i will be buying it. the age rating doesnt show how fun the game is, its only to show you what age the game is mainly towards.
the_jus_in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 the_jus_in
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
I'm 15 and think that people who ask sutch questions are babies.
Avatar image for kefkaconchetuma
kefkaconchetuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 kefkaconchetuma
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts
26 here so no !, many of the owners are not precisely babies and i usually don't go around looking if i my favorite game is teen or mature or whatever, but i think that the M rated franchise support is an important part in Nintendo's service as a company they must be able to support a wide fan base.
_vacant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _vacant_

Jaysonguy

and its this very same assumption that is the issue here.   Yes, nintendo is reaching out to new audiences, and trying to get families into playing games.  But this does not mean that people who desire more M rated material are not on the system.   In fact,  a large majority of people who bought the wii are in fact, hardcore gamers or, lapsed gamers, who may very well be interested in M rated games.  Early adopters are almost always only the hardcore.

The fact remains, that if the wii is going to be a platform for everyone, devs and nintendo need to make that clear from the get go, and actually produce games for all demographics, not just the "everyone" catagory.

Its also not a matter of being insulted, its a matter of having a great developer not even bother trying to bring us mature games. which is a damn shame.
pinebark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 pinebark
Member since 2003 • 1501 Posts
Your poll should be more specific, 10 years isn't a good age range for this sort of thing considering that there's a vast difference in marketing between 10 year olds and 20 year olds.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]Why are people having trouble understanding this?

_vacant_

and its this very same assumption that is the issue here. Yes, nintendo is reaching out to new audiences, and trying to get families into playing games. But this does not mean that people who desire more M rated material are not on the system. In fact, a large majority of people who bought the wii are in fact, hardcore gamers or, lapsed gamers, who may very well be interested in M rated games. Early adopters are almost always only the hardcore.

The fact remains, that if the wii is going to be a platform for everyone, devs and nintendo need to make that clear from the get go, and actually produce games for all demographics, not just the "everyone" catagory.

Its also not a matter of being insulted, its a matter of having a great developer not even bother trying to bring us mature games. which is a damn shame.

No, that post shows you don't understand what I mean

There's a large chunk of people playing the Wii right now that can't play M rated games, it's a waste to even offer them right now until the ownership grows.

If you make a game that's mature you take out everyone 17 and under from buying that, while that's not so big of a chunk on the 360 or PS3 it is a large chunk of the Wii owners and players.

If you have 100 Wi owners and 100 PS3 owners there will be more PS3 owners that can legally buy M rated games.
You pick the audience that you can sell the most of.
_vacant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _vacant_
[QUOTE="_vacant_"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]Why are people having trouble understanding this?

Jaysonguy

and its this very same assumption that is the issue here. Yes, nintendo is reaching out to new audiences, and trying to get families into playing games. But this does not mean that people who desire more M rated material are not on the system. In fact, a large majority of people who bought the wii are in fact, hardcore gamers or, lapsed gamers, who may very well be interested in M rated games. Early adopters are almost always only the hardcore.

Its also not a matter of being insulted, its a matter of having a great developer not even bother trying to bring us mature games. which is a damn shame.

No, that post shows you don't understand what I mean

There's a large chunk of people playing the Wii right now that can't play M rated games, it's a waste to even offer them right now until the ownership grows.

If you make a game that's mature you take out everyone 17 and under from buying that, while that's not so big of a chunk on the 360 or PS3 it is a large chunk of the Wii owners and players.

If you have 100 Wi owners and 100 PS3 owners there will be more PS3 owners that can legally buy M rated games.
You pick the audience that you can sell the most of.

No, that post shows you dont understand what I mean.   The assumption that the wii userbase is significantly younger than the 360 or ps3 user base is faulty.   There is no proof.  The fact that nintedo is targetting everyone doesn not exclude older gamers.   Consider for a moment that many lapsed gamers who are now parents have been purchasing the wii.  Yes, there kids may play the wii most often, but this doesnt mean that the parent wont want to play either.  And say that parent remembers castle wolfenstein or doom from way back when.   Are you saying that this parent isnt old enough to buy M rated games?

no.  In fact, many wii owners are old enough, and are craving an M rated game.  Just because the public perception of the wii as a console for non gamers, casuals or kids, doesnt make it so.

There is no proof one way or the other that wii gamers are younger.   So why alientate a pontential chunk of your market based on unprovable assumptions.

oh and finally, if devs only sold to where the install base was highest, there would only ever be one console with 3rd party support.   The one with the biggest install. But this isnt the case.
se14kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 se14kid
Member since 2006 • 1942 Posts

im 14 and i chose a wii over a 360 n proud. gettin a PS3 dough

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#24 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I cannot believe you have 10-20 in the same category.  I'm 18 but I feel like an idiot clicking on 10-20.  Whatever.

I got my Wii as a gift though, chances are I wouldn't have bought it until Super Mario Galaxy was released.  Right now it's not getting nearly as much play time as my 360.  Then again it's actually understandable since it's only been out for a little while and there haven't been any killer releases for it.

But yeah, your's truly is 18.  Not a baby by age.

c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 c0mplex
No, that post shows you dont understand what I mean. The assumption that the wii userbase is significantly younger than the 360 or ps3 user base is faulty. There is no proof. The fact that nintedo is targetting everyone doesn not exclude older gamers. Consider for a moment that many lapsed gamers who are now parents have been purchasing the wii. Yes, there kids may play the wii most often, but this doesnt mean that the parent wont want to play either. And say that parent remembers castle wolfenstein or doom from way back when. Are you saying that this parent isnt old enough to buy M rated games?

no. In fact, many wii owners are old enough, and are craving an M rated game. Just because the public perception of the wii as a console for non gamers, casuals or kids, doesnt make it so.

There is no proof one way or the other that wii gamers are younger. So why alientate a pontential chunk of your market based on unprovable assumptions.

oh and finally, if devs only sold to where the install base was highest, there would only ever be one console with 3rd party support. The one with the biggest install. But this isnt the case._vacant_
well can't it be said the other way round: you said that their is no proof that Wii owners are young... but conversely, there really is no proof that Wii owners are old either. publishers are most likely just taking Nintendo's own path and making games that just appeal to everyone. when you look at game sales for the DS and the GC, there is no mistake that virtually all the top selling games are from Nintendo themselves. with their games appealing to everyone (not in a sense that they have M, T, and E rated games... but that games like Zelda can be for both a young kid and an adult), publishers are taking notice that this type of game is something that the vast majority of Nintendo fans want. and as i said before... why take a chance on a market that has a relatively low userbase to begin with? publishers are watching Nintendo, seeing what works, and trying to replicate that success for a profit. once the Wii takes on a larger userbase that has a more broadened taste in games... then publishers will have a reason to try new styles of gaming that are not usual on Nintendo platforms.
_vacant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _vacant_
[QUOTE="_vacant_"]No, that post shows you dont understand what I mean. The assumption that the wii userbase is significantly younger than the 360 or ps3 user base is faulty. There is no proof. The fact that nintedo is targetting everyone doesn not exclude older gamers. Consider for a moment that many lapsed gamers who are now parents have been purchasing the wii. Yes, there kids may play the wii most often, but this doesnt mean that the parent wont want to play either. And say that parent remembers castle wolfenstein or doom from way back when. Are you saying that this parent isnt old enough to buy M rated games?

no. In fact, many wii owners are old enough, and are craving an M rated game. Just because the public perception of the wii as a console for non gamers, casuals or kids, doesnt make it so.

There is no proof one way or the other that wii gamers are younger. So why alientate a pontential chunk of your market based on unprovable assumptions.

oh and finally, if devs only sold to where the install base was highest, there would only ever be one console with 3rd party support. The one with the biggest install. But this isnt the case.c0mplex
well can't it be said the other way round: you said that their is no proof that Wii owners are young... but conversely, there really is no proof that Wii owners are old either. publishers are most likely just taking Nintendo's own path and making games that just appeal to everyone. when you look at game sales for the DS and the GC, there is no mistake that virtually all the top selling games are from Nintendo themselves. with their games appealing to everyone (not in a sense that they have M, T, and E rated games... but that games like Zelda can be for both a young kid and an adult), publishers are taking notice that this type of game is something that the vast majority of Nintendo fans want. and as i said before... why take a chance on a market that has a relatively low userbase to begin with? publishers are watching Nintendo, seeing what works, and trying to replicate that success for a profit. once the Wii takes on a larger userbase that has a more broadened taste in games... then publishers will have a reason to try new forbidden>If the M games arent here now, the users wont be, so more games wont be developed later on.  Its as simple as that.  We dont need ALL M games.  But one or 2 would be nice. and they would still sell.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I'm 20
c0mplex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 c0mplex
developers should care very little about the success of a system that they are not investing a lot of time and effort with in the first place. theoretically... if the Wii tanks, publishers like Capcom can easily take their focus on put more effort into their PS3 and Xbox 360 projects. it all comes down to Nintendo doing their own work and pursuing M rated games to be put on their console. whether it be M rated game that they make, or 3rd party games that Nintendo specifically goes out for to be put on the Wii... its up to Nintendo, at first, to get the M rated ball going (slightly perverted saying... sorry). once they do... then Capcom will have more of a reason to change their views on the Wii.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy
Look, it all comes down to market saturation

Once the Wii has enough buyers of every age group that a company can justify M rated games they will be made.

Someone can't propose a mature game for the Wii and when their higher ups ask how he knows it'll sell enough copies he can't just say "Well I THINK......."

You have to know, this isn't some petty little ploy to poke at Wii owners being children
This is about millions of dollars put towards developing titles to make the company many more millions.
amtentori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 amtentori
Member since 2003 • 1911 Posts
bad poll...

the 10-20 gap is very big...... should be
0-12
12-15
16-21
21-30
30-....

or something
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#31 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
bad poll...

0-12
12-15
16-21
21-30
30-....

or something
amtentori
The demographics that manufacturers care about are in the 20-30 range. This is the group that has the highest disposable income, making it the most profitable. Players above 30 have proven to be casual gamers, and below 20 have a lower disposable income (though the age could probably be safely reduced to 18 to cover college-age individuals). So far it looks like more than half of Wii owners are over 25, making a pretty good argument that Mature games would have minimally a modest audience, if the game were good enough. Granted, only 100 people have responded so far this morning. We'll see what it's like into the evening. Really, I just don't want to miss another Grand Theft Auto!
Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Arborescence
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
Two Words: Poorly Phrased Wii sales are through the roof because they're expanding video games' traditional demographic. That doesn't just mean they're reaching more younger players...
Arnalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Arnalion
Member since 2006 • 3316 Posts
For starters... Why do always everyone make dumb polls like this? You can't be younger than 13 years old and be registred on this forum! The ages should be like 13-17, 18-22, 23-27, 28-32, 33+ I'm 18 btw...

[QUOTE="amtentori"]bad poll...

0-12
12-15
16-21
21-30
30-....

or something
Bozanimal

The demographics that manufacturers care about are in the 20-30 range. This is the group that has the highest disposable income, making it the most profitable. Players above 30 have proven to be casual gamers, and below 20 have a lower disposable income (though the age could probably be safely reduced to 18 to cover college-age individuals).

So far it looks like more than half of Wii owners are over 25, making a pretty good argument that Mature games would have minimally a modest audience, if the game were good enough. Granted, only 100 people have responded so far this morning. We'll see what it's like into the evening.

Really, I just don't want to miss another Grand Theft Auto!

Tss, it's the younger teens that mainly play "mature" games.
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
If it's good I could care less if it is E or AO. Of course I am 30, so that rating really does not effect me, lol
bigcalkenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#35 bigcalkenobi
Member since 2006 • 1297 Posts
There are about 7 people I can think of other than me that own a Wii and none of them are under the age of 15
Arcanine_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Arcanine_88
Member since 2005 • 2219 Posts
Yes, all Wii owners are babies because Nintendo is kiddie and we'll never see an M rated game on any Nintendo console out there.

Blah, the people who think "OMG kiddie" when they hear Nintendo are people who know nothing. Sure Nintendo isn't just shooting for the ones who go around love blood and gore in games. But they are trying to open the Wii (and DS) to to everyone of all ages. Just because Nintendo has Mario doesn't mean it's a kiddie system.
And I'm 18.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

And yeah i'm a baby. Our bodies are aging at the speed of life so lets keep our minds young.

EDIT: But I want to see mature games by the tons (Manhunt, Resident Evil, etc). T-rated games are fun but please...ooooh please Nintendo, give the Wii some mature titles. Don't want to go fetch a PS3 or 360 to get those M-rated games, but I will if I must.

Rhezuss
We have a lot in common.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#38 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
The Wii is basically for everyone because they want to make games intresting for all ages.
Gamez_Hunter99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39 Gamez_Hunter99
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

Yes, all Wii owners are babies because Nintendo is kiddie and we'll never see an M rated game on any Nintendo console out there.
Arcanine_88

The godfather game for the wii will be M rated so thats the wiis first M rated game.

Celtic223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 Celtic223
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
I'm 14 and not a baby I would mind seeing some resident evil on the wii
MartinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MartinMan
Member since 2005 • 1486 Posts
I'm 20 and I'm pretty sure I'm not a baby lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5ca4fa9105c25
deactivated-5ca4fa9105c25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5ca4fa9105c25
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts

Jasonguy stated: "Until the overall base grows for the Wii a company wont risk putting out a mature game that can only be legally bought by 50% of the owners. "

WTF? It's not a LAW to sell underage games to minors, it's a loosely enforced store policy.

_Get your facts straight, then you can distort them._

Ire-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ire-7
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts
actually nintendo has already stated that they will be pursuing more M rated games I am 17
SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm a baby.
yoda-san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 yoda-san
Member since 2006 • 323 Posts
I am 27 and I went out of my way to buy a Wii on launch day. It would be nice to see Mature games come to the Wii, though. If he's talking about babies, then yes I do have kids. LOL!
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaysonguy

Jasonguy stated: "Until the overall base grows for the Wii a company wont risk putting out a mature game that can only be legally bought by 50% of the owners. "

WTF? It's not a LAW to sell underage games to minors, it's a loosely enforced store policy.

_Get your facts straight, then you can distort them._

jimbo6923

I should have been a bit clearer for you it seems.
If you buy a game at a partner in the ESRB's (which is just about anywhere) they can deny LEGALLY stop you from doing it.

You don't have a leg to stand on.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts
20 years old, and I'm happy with my wii, I have always been happy with my Nintendo systems since the snes (my very first Nintendo system, followed by every single Nintendo system)
funky_muzic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 funky_muzic
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts

Jaysonguy
I understand what you're saying, but don't you think that most Gamecube owners now own a Wii (or at least the will once they can find one)? Resident Evil 4 was one of the best selling GC games. I think it was actually THE best selling 3rd Party game for the GC. Why wouldn't Capcom want to bring a RE game to the Wii? They could probably use the RE-4 engine, with some motion-sensitive/pointer moves worked in, and it wouldn't be too expensive to develop. I'm sure they will make money of a Resident Wii-vil game (sorry...)
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
lbeyer20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers