Polar white... or onyx black?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 kyle-244
Member since 2006 • 1198 Posts

I was kind of leaning towards the white ds, but i hear ppl saying that it turns color or something... How the heck does it change color?? And the black is suposidly supposed to show finger prints easily

What one do you have and why do you think it is better

codalloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 codalloo
Member since 2006 • 892 Posts
id get the white one it doesnt change color at all whoever said that is retarted, it has a hard casing unless you paint it it wont change color, the black one does show fingerprints and scratches, thats the usual problem with black electronics, they are thenicest but the hardest to keep clean, id get the polar white though.
AzureCuzYeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 AzureCuzYeah
Member since 2005 • 257 Posts
I wanted the Black but all best buy had was white.
lcman92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lcman92
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts

id get the white one it doesnt change color at all whoever said that is retarted, it has a hard casing unless you paint it it wont change color, the black one does show fingerprints and scratches, thats the usual problem with black electronics, they are thenicest but the hardest to keep clean, id get the polar white though.codalloo

Only the left and right triggers get a little dirty looking. Not the entire thing. That's how mine looks. Not too noticable though.

kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kyle-244

[QUOTE="codalloo"]id get the white one it doesnt change color at all whoever said that is retarted, it has a hard casing unless you paint it it wont change color, the black one does show fingerprints and scratches, thats the usual problem with black electronics, they are thenicest but the hardest to keep clean, id get the polar white though.lcman92

Only the left and right triggers get a little dirty looking. Not the entire thing. That's how mine looks. Not too noticable though.

couldnt you just clean the l and r buttons with a cloth or something, or are they permenent?
Skater710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Skater710
Member since 2003 • 114 Posts
I'm sure you could clean it. I have a black one, I really like it cept yeah...fingerprints...but like the white, you can just clean it! In the end it just comes down to what YOU like. They both have their good and bad points.
Avatar image for psychojakrabbit
psychojakrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psychojakrabbit
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts
I got the white one. To me it looks better and it's easy on the smudging.
gibbon1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gibbon1618
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts
I have the pink one because it doesn't show fingerprints or turn yellow around the buttons.
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kyle-244
what do people mean when they say it turns yellow??? is it durt that can just be easily wiped off
Avatar image for masterchief0292
masterchief0292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 masterchief0292
Member since 2005 • 7472 Posts
onyx...
gibbon1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gibbon1618
Member since 2006 • 219 Posts
what do people mean when they say it turns yellow??? is it durt that can just be easily wiped offkyle-244
I can't really explain it. The dirt or grime gets trapped inside the DS so you can't really wipe it off. It's not a good look I know that for sure. It doesn't happen to everyone with a white DS so if you consider yourself lucky take a chance and buy a white one.
gamer700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamer700
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts
get white. i have a white one and my brother got a black one and it shows fingerprints and scrtaches. the white one doesnt change colors just the r and l buttons get a little yellow not very noticeble.
Yarcofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Yarcofin
Member since 2006 • 3396 Posts
The yellow isn't just dirt. Over a series of years (like 3-5), the plastic will start to wear and something on a chemical level inside it breaks down and fades yellowish. I personally got the onyx one. It was hard to find too, sold out at most places. They are in stock pretty well everywhere now though. I'd go with black. Except yeah the fingerprints. But you can't even see them except in direct light, and they're easy to wipe off.
conzors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 conzors
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts
well i think you should get the white i got the black cuz it looks like a shiny stone so get the white
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kyle-244
[QUOTE="Yarcofin"]The yellow isn't just dirt. Over a series of years (like 3-5), the plastic will start to wear and something on a chemical level inside it breaks down and fades yellowish. I personally got the onyx one. It was hard to find too, sold out at most places. They are in stock pretty well everywhere now though. I'd go with black. Except yeah the fingerprints. But you can't even see them except in direct light, and they're easy to wipe off.

yeah black sounds good, its just that i really like white better but that sucks its gonna go yellow on me
Shaz123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Shaz123
Member since 2003 • 572 Posts
blaaack
gamer700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer700
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

its not gonna go yellow and if it does, its only 2 buttons!

swsCHEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 swsCHEN
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts
i wanted to get the navy blue one but it was $200, u'd think that things at pacific mall would be cheaper...did buy a lot of movies though
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kyle-244

gamer700
true
MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts

I wanted the Black but all best buy had was white.AzureCuzYeah

Same here, except I went everywhere besides Best Buy.

ssc0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ssc0n
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
I would suggest the black one, smudges are removable. Im going to buy a white one though, so it looks cool on top of my Wii.:)
boboboj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 boboboj
Member since 2005 • 3932 Posts
Look at the reccomendation thread. It has a colors section.
boringdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 boringdude
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Lol, didn't know that most people wanted a onyx. I tried so hard to find the white one, but they only had like 3-4 onyx left -.-"

All the white were sold out ;_; To me, the white one look better, just buy a cover for it or something.
Yimbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yimbie
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts
I have an Onyx Nintendo DS (which is much harder to find around my area than white). I think it looks "sexy" with it's shiny casing. It looks really classy to me. It does attract fingerprints though and you don't have to get any scratches if you take care of it well. I got the nice free yoshi case and screen cloth cleaner that came with the DS from Circuit City. The cloth cleaner is really handy in cleaning the whole DS instead of using a t-shirt or tissue which can cause scratches because of the looser threads.

To me, the white Nintendo DS is more "fun and pimp" (oh geez I can't believe I used that word) and the black Nintendo DS is more "rich and sophisticated".
plagueseason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 plagueseason
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts
After owning both the white DS Lite and the onyx, I think the main pro with the Onyx DS Lite is that the screens have black surrounding them which really brings out the vibrant colors of the screens a lot more than the white DS lite does.
jacob33301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jacob33301
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts
Onyx Black is my opinion
DSfanatic5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 DSfanatic5
Member since 2005 • 936 Posts

Personally, I like my polar white DS Lite better than the onyx.  We bought back an onyx system at my work, and was quickly annoyed by how dirty it always looks.  Black is sleek, make no mistakes about it, but you'll be constantly maintaining it's appearance to keep it looking slick.  I feel the same way about my PSP.  At first, I thought the glossy black finish was the nicest thing ever, but in the end I'd rather have a matte finish, or something that doesn't show every fingerprint. 

I also like the polar white because it matches my Wii, and something about white just makes the system feel fresh and simple.  As for the discoloration, I've seen some yellow L R triggers on Lites that were sold at my work, but my triggers are perfectly white.  I'll also point out that I've seen some disgusting systems come through my work, where there is human "fudge" or grime, around every crevass in the controller, and what looks to be vomit or Taco Bell (same thing, right?) in the air vents to the system.  Case in point:  Some gamers are just freakin' gross with their hygene, or they eat nasty food while playing at the same time, in a very dusty/dirty environment.  These people will complain about discoloration, but their problems are far beyond yellow triggers on their DS's.

kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kyle-244

Personally, I like my polar white DS Lite better than the onyx.  We bought back an onyx system at my work, and was quickly annoyed by how dirty it always looks.  Black is sleek, make no mistakes about it, but you'll be constantly maintaining it's appearance to keep it looking slick.  I feel the same way about my PSP.  At first, I thought the glossy black finish was the nicest thing ever, but in the end I'd rather have a matte finish, or something that doesn't show every fingerprint. 

I also like the polar white because it matches my Wii, and something about white just makes the system feel fresh and simple.  As for the discoloration, I've seen some yellow L R triggers on Lites that were sold at my work, but my triggers are perfectly white.  I'll also point out that I've seen some disgusting systems come through my work, where there is human "fudge" or grime, around every crevass in the controller, and what looks to be vomit or Taco Bell (same thing, right?) in the air vents to the system.  Case in point:  Some gamers are just freakin' gross with their hygene, or they eat nasty food while playing at the same time, in a very dusty/dirty environment.  These people will complain about discoloration, but their problems are far beyond yellow triggers on their DS's.

DSfanatic5
so ypur saying that if i dont have dirty hands while playing my ds i shouldnt get discoloration?
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
White
Warfust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#30 Warfust
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
Black of course!!
jacob33301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jacob33301
Member since 2007 • 766 Posts
i would get the black one so it doesnt dirty much
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kyle-244
WhiteBourbons3
Black of course!!Warfust
why and why :P
Keibo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Keibo
Member since 2003 • 1488 Posts
I bought the white one, because its completely different to most consoles colour and it goes with most of my electronics :)
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kyle-244

gamer700
but the 2 buttons will be pretty noticable
mufujifi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mufujifi
Member since 2006 • 527 Posts
[QUOTE="gamer700"]

kyle-244
but the 2 buttons will be pretty noticable

Not unless your fingers are covering it.
Which they do, most of the time. Either as a necessity for gaming, or as a natural reflex.
Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
I've got black I think it looks better than the white one.
graham_celtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 graham_celtic
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
White doesn't show smudges. 
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kyle-244
I think i might get black because i dont want the l and r buttons to go yellow
MamaMiia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MamaMiia
Member since 2006 • 582 Posts
I got the black (Onyx) one because I think it looks more sophisticated and won't show the dirt as easily. Also, I think games look better with black surrounding the screens (movie theater effect). I put my DS in a clear acrylic case that protects it and keeps fingerprints from being very visible, which I really like.
eggwaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 eggwaffle
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts
get black. all the kids in mi form with a ds lite have a black one except 4 one kid with a white one who i feel sorry for. beleive me black is better btw i like ur sig :)
MysteriousKori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 MysteriousKori
Member since 2006 • 559 Posts
Black, you can take the smudges off with a cloth. And it brings out the color better.
Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts
Be a man and buy a pink one, slap a Hello Kitty sticker on it and challenge anybody who gives you any lip to a fight. 
ahj911211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ahj911211
Member since 2007 • 457 Posts
I have Polar white, because noticable fingerprints and scratches can be annoying 
penguindude24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 penguindude24
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

white

its origonal

ssc0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ssc0n
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
Be a man and buy a pink one, slap a Hello Kitty sticker on it and challenge anybody who gives you any lip to a fight. Lord_Daemon
Or you can hide in your room under the covers... like I do. JK
kyle-244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kyle-244
I got the black (Onyx) one because I think it looks more sophisticated and won't show the dirt as easily. Also, I think games look better with black surrounding the screens (movie theater effect). I put my DS in a clear acrylic case that protects it and keeps fingerprints from being very visible, which I really like.MamaMiia
is the case that you have just for putting itin when your not playing it, or is it a casr like a seethrough one and you can play the ds wihle its in the case
GEMINI_CYBORG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GEMINI_CYBORG
Member since 2007 • 238 Posts
Onxy. Black=Awesome color. Besides, the screen looks even brighter with black.
But me? I have an original DS...As long as it works, I'm using it.
My DS is item #1 of 2 in GEMMINI_CYBORG's Collector's Gallery.
boboboj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 boboboj
Member since 2005 • 3932 Posts
I like the white one bette. But some like the black.