Nintendo Wii shows up in black and white on my SyncMaster Samsung T260HD monitor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoeCalzaghe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JoeCalzaghe
Member since 2009 • 456 Posts

Do I need different component cables? And yes I checked to make sure I had it set up properly and even tried different setups. Right now I'm using the yellow, white, red component cables the ones that came with the wii. I'm thinking thats the problem but I'm not sure. I can buy the Madcatz and or official Nintendo component cables that are like white, red and green and blue. But also I don't know what the huge difference is between the madcats and nitendo component cables are other then the fact that the madcatz one is cheaper while the other one is much more expensive and got better reviews though... Oh, and my Nintendo Wii shows up in color on my dads Samsung 46" Tv so I know its not the wii acting up.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

The cables that come with the Wii are composite cables, so it sounds like you've got your video (yellow) in one of the component video plugs and your audio plugs in the other two.

The yellow one is probably in the jack for brightness, so it's displaying the image in black and white as the other two jacks are for colour information.

You'll need to get some component cables. I've got these - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083007&p_id=5689&seq=1&format=2- and they're great. Far cheaper than the Nintendo ones and they look just as good.

As far as them working on the TV, chances are it has a mode for sensing the input type or has a component input that doubles as composite (my Toshiba has one).

JoeCalzaghe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JoeCalzaghe
As far as them working on the TV, chances are it has a mode for sensing the input type or has a component input that doubles as composite (my Toshiba has one).DJ_Lae
My remote I checked the tools options for video options and I don't have that. The video option only changed the video tint and if I want to watch it in movie mode or another mode standard. Stuff like that...
JoeCalzaghe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoeCalzaghe

I also didn't want to buy this online, I want to buy it in stores like Target, or the Mall since they're the closest to me. I'll probably pick this up at gamestop even tho there prices are ridiculous.

TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts

I have the same monitor/TV and does it even have composite inputs? Because the same thing happened when I used composite cables for my PS3 and it was black and white and fuzzy. I then switched to HDMI and it was of course fine. I don't know what kind of cables the Wii can handle but it seems like you may need component (NOT composite) cables, which are Red green and blue, or an HDMI cable

JoeCalzaghe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JoeCalzaghe

I have the same monitor/TV and does it even have composite inputs? Because the same thing happened when I used composite cables for my PS3 and it was black and white and fuzzy. I then switched to HDMI and it was of course fine. I don't know what kind of cables the Wii can handle but it seems like you may need component (NOT composite) cables, which are Red green and blue, or an HDMI cable

TheRedStrike
Thats different buddy, ps3 had hdmi support. The Wii doesn't because the wii can only do 420p at the max... Its pretty stupid but Nintendos system was not built with hd support of 720 or 1080p support.
TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts

Ohh wow..so IF our monitor doesn't have composite video inputs, then maybe find something that will convert it? I'm not sure :(

frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#8 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

[QUOTE="TheRedStrike"]

JoeCalzaghe

Thats different buddy, ps3 had hdmi support. The Wii doesn't because the wii can only do 420p at the max... Its pretty stupid but Nintendos system was not built with hd support of 720 or 1080p support.

I think this guy means 480p... Since 420p does not exist.

JoeCalzaghe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JoeCalzaghe

Go it, it fixed the problem. Ridiculous that I had to pay 30 bucks for it and it wasn't even a nitendo brand... But works good, it wasn't madcatz either. I care not to advertise the brand i paid for cuz it was expensive so they can go screw themselves. Also I heard on review on madcatz brand they complain about bad audio sounds or some crap.