Nintendo should do cloud streaming via VC!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

While everyone here is questioning if the "NX" is either a handheld or console, I'm more concern of Nintendo's new Online strategy that will effect Next-Gen. We already know Nintendo's blockbuster deal with DeNA, and with it, announced "NX" along with it.

I don't think they had planned to announce a new "platform" this early while it's still in development, but I believe that the new "platform" will be the flagship of Nintendo's Mobile strategy. Since the announcement with DeNA, they want to put Nintendo's IP's on mobile devices, plus adding in a unified Nintendo Account system. One thing not many think is, the possibility to play Nintendo's classic titles everywhere. That's where I believe Nintendo should consider cloud streaming via Virtual Consoles.

A huge problem with the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS family is that all downloadable games are tied to the hardware and we have to suffer with a long transferring process of already purchased titles to the new systems, otherwise we have to rebuy the same game at full price. This is where the cloud streaming come in, wouldn't it be great to play NES, SNES, GB, and GBA titles on the cloud and everywhere? I mean, since the future is to go all digital I believe its best for purchases tied to the unfied account. I would like to play SMB3 on the "NX" then continue where I left off playing on my phone or 3DS.

Yes, Nintendo is still behind the times compared to the competition, but this will surely put them up on par with Sony and their Playstation Now service.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I do not feel Nintendo will do cloud streaming anytime soon. The selling point of having Nintendo games in the cloud is that you could download your favorites and play them anywhere you are. Now having a 3DS or NX (whatever that may be) it would be cool to play games on the go where ever you are, at the park, at the beach, at the grocery store, at the babysitters, etc. Having to rely on an internet connection to enjoy games might not be so cool. You could do both, but im sure it would cost more money to offer both services.

One day when internet is more widely available no matter where you are in the city, i could see Nintendo jumping into the cloud streaming business. But until then, i think they will do maybe a Hybrid system so that they could develop games for both systems and better compete with the PC and Mobile gaming market.

I like the ideal of cloud streaming, but i will not support it until it becomes better with better games offered. Nintendo might be the company to get me into cloud streaming, but i still wont do cloud streaming for movies, i doubt i would for games yet.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

A cloud streaming service would be great for the reasons you explained. There's also the issue of hardware. The GB, DS, Wii, SNES, and etc all have varied, proprietary hardware that you can't easily port games in between. You could make an emulator, but those can produce varied results from game to game. You could port the games one by one, but that is a slow process. It would be more effective if Nintendo had cloud servers with the hardware to deal with software from all these platforms.