Nintendo Screws Over Ardent Fan

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pedro"][QUOTE="soundcellx"]
digital downloads really have not been around long enough for you to know how the media available today will be available in the future, so you should shut your yap.

So, if you buy say, Flower or some weird digital game off PSN, and in 20 years there is no PSN, and the company who made Flower and Sony also shut down and didn't exist anymore, how are you going to get that digital download if all the companies you bought it from go extinct? Also, is there no expiration date for the stuff you buy? 

So, actually it is complicated, since you don't know how it works either. 

soundcellx

in said scenario, PSN would faciltate the downloading of all required software before they close their doors. Its that simple. :)

and after that?

who would be legally required to have digital media available for download FOREVER? 

Do you live forever? Are any of your physical games going to last forever? So why expect or ask such a meaningless question?
#52 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

Not clicking on a Kotaku article.

#53 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Pedro"]in said scenario, PSN would faciltate the downloading of all required software before they close their doors. Its that simple. :)Pedro

and after that?

who would be legally required to have digital media available for download FOREVER? 

Do you live forever? Are any of your physical games going to last forever? So why expect or ask such a meaningless question?

It's not meaningless at all.

On the contrary it is one of the primary concerns regarding digital downloads and licensing, as to whether or not we really own it. And for how long? How many years are we guaranteed to be able to have access for redownload?

Answer the question or get out. 

#54 Posted by slim_chance (319 posts) -

Man, that's very damn annoying. Nintendo has quickly put itself directly on my sh!t list, they really are a crap corporation that unfortunately has limitless robots for fans apparently. Sad thing that my wiiU has done little beyond gather dust since i got it...

I really would like to not hate nintendo but their leadership and decision making is utter garbage.

jer_1
Nintendo leadership is old. They are to cautious with everything. Like paranoid conservatives. They need a changing of the gaurd, too bad I probably won't see it in my life time. My WiiU is collecting dust as well.
#55 Posted by slim_chance (319 posts) -

Nintendo didn't screw him over.... He screwed himself over. Nintendo's system isn't up to standard, that's for sure, but Nintendo also clearly explains that system when you're transferring all your Wii data to WiiU. He didn't do what he was supposed to do, and it came back to bite him.

Nintendo was good enough to work with him and give him $200 for the trouble. For his own mistake. That's more than they had to do. I don't know why they didn't just give him the equivalent amount of money for the Wii Shop Channel, so that sucks for him, but I'd be more than happy with that outcome if I were him and realized that it was my fault in the first place.

JordanElek
Lol sounds like you like getting walked all over. I'm sure you're fine with that but I'm not into masochism bro. That guy deserves all the games he bought. He doesn't have to go do research it's common sense you should have access to what you bought.
#56 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

[QUOTE="jer_1"]

Man, that's very damn annoying. Nintendo has quickly put itself directly on my sh!t list, they really are a crap corporation that unfortunately has limitless robots for fans apparently. Sad thing that my wiiU has done little beyond gather dust since i got it...

I really would like to not hate nintendo but their leadership and decision making is utter garbage.

slim_chance

Nintendo leadership is old. They are to cautious with everything. Like paranoid conservatives. They need a changing of the gaurd, too bad I probably won't see it in my life time. My WiiU is collecting dust as well.

I take it that this is the first console that either of you ever bought at launch.

No consoles had a ton of games at launch. Freaking A, give it longer than 3 months. I mean, you only have yourself to blame for not waiting for the games you want until you buy one. This system release is the same as most other system releases.

#57 Posted by slim_chance (319 posts) -

[QUOTE="slim_chance"][QUOTE="jer_1"]

soundcellx

I take it that this is the first console that either of you ever bought at launch.

No consoles had a ton of games at launch. Freaking A, give it longer than 3 months. I mean, you only have yourself to blame for not waiting for the games you want until you buy one. This system release is the same as most other system releases.

Dude I bought Nintendo64 at launch, trust me I am very patient. You are right though I should of waited until they had a AAA title on their system but friend was selling his deluxe for 270. I couldn't pass it up.
#58 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="slim_chance"] Nintendo leadership is old. They are to cautious with everything. Like paranoid conservatives. They need a changing of the gaurd, too bad I probably won't see it in my life time. My WiiU is collecting dust as well.slim_chance

Dude I bought Nintendo64 at launch, trust me I am very patient. You are right though I should of waited until they had a AAA title on their system but friend was selling his deluxe for 270. I couldn't pass it up.

Okay, well you did say yours is collecting dust.

I've been playing Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG, and Wii games on mine like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime series. I didn't buy my Nintendo for announced games. i bought my Nintendo for all their popular franchises that are guaranteed. 

Perhaps the biggest reason I bought a Wii U is for the gamepad, which I freaking adore. Plus I'm super happy that Nintendo got rid of that crappy motion control gimmick. No motion controls is why I support the Wii U. 

#59 Posted by jdc6305 (3836 posts) -

That is part of the reason I don't like digital content. Apple screwed me over with my ipod a few years back. I would rather spend the time and effort to get the original games for the original system. I collect games not digital content. I'm 36 years old I hate digital media and direction this stuff is heading. If I can't own it on disc or a cart I don't want it.

#60 Posted by slim_chance (319 posts) -

[QUOTE="slim_chance"][QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Okay, well you did say yours is collecting dust.

I've been playing Yoshi's Island and Super Mario RPG, and Wii games on mine like Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime series. I didn't buy my Nintendo for announced games. i bought my Nintendo for all their popular franchises that are guaranteed. 

Perhaps the biggest reason I bought a Wii U is for the gamepad, which I freaking adore. Plus I'm super happy that Nintendo got rid of that crappy motion control gimmick. No motion controls is why I support the Wii U. 

Yeah the gamepad is great, I love playing all over the house and not being constricted to my living room. Go check on my steaks down stairs while i'm cooking and I take the game with me. Mostly playing the Sonic Racing game, was going to buy it on Xbox but I'm glad I got it on the WiiU. Solely for the Pad.
#61 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

and after that?

soundcellx

It's not meaningless at all.

On the contrary it is one of the primary concerns regarding digital downloads and licensing, as to whether or not we really own it. And for how long? How many years are we guaranteed to be able to have access for redownload?

Answer the question or get out. 

Do you take the time to read before responding? I clearly stated the method they would use if they are to shutdown for whatever reason. Digital download is here to stay whether you ask for it or not and whether you like it or not.
#62 Posted by Jaysonguy (37631 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

That digital download? If I delete it from your system you can redownload it again and everything is fine because you own the license. That license means you can have a copy of that game for as long as you want it. I can even delete that game again and you can download it right back.

This isn't complicated.

soundcellx

digital downloads really have not been around long enough for you to know how the media available today will be available in the future, so you should shut your yap.

So, if you buy say, Flower or some weird digital game off PSN, and in 20 years there is no PSN, and the company who made Flower and Sony also shut down and didn't exist anymore, how are you going to get that digital download if all the companies you bought it from go extinct? Also, is there no expiration date for the stuff you buy? 

What?

Oh my goodness lol

So you don't know that digital content has been around longer then disc based content? lol

Wow

Ok, well it has so hey, you learned something! lol

There's no expiration date, you own a license, you own a right to a copy of that game.

Want to change your answer to "I like cartridges?" because then I can tell you that a cartridge can keep game saves for about ten years and prove how wrong you are that way.

If a company goes belly up the downloads would be set free, that means you would have to put them on some sort of USB or media card and play them from there.

This isn't complicated, you think it is because you're not well versed in, well just about anything to do with gaming but for the rest of us it's not complicated.

#63 Posted by JordanElek (17817 posts) -

[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Nintendo didn't screw him over.... He screwed himself over. Nintendo's system isn't up to standard, that's for sure, but Nintendo also clearly explains that system when you're transferring all your Wii data to WiiU. He didn't do what he was supposed to do, and it came back to bite him.

Nintendo was good enough to work with him and give him $200 for the trouble. For his own mistake. That's more than they had to do. I don't know why they didn't just give him the equivalent amount of money for the Wii Shop Channel, so that sucks for him, but I'd be more than happy with that outcome if I were him and realized that it was my fault in the first place.

slim_chance

That guy deserves all the games he bought. He doesn't have to go do research it's common sense you should have access to what you bought.

I think doing research would be the common sense thing to do, especially since the whole process of transferring games from Wii to WiiU is a painful reminder that it's not all just stored in the cloud. It would take about five minutes of research to find that that transfer was permanent, probably less if he had looked in the troubleshooting part of the manual where it says DO NOT TAKE IT BACK TO THE STORE CUZ YOU'LL LOSE YOUR STUFF.

It's not about what SHOULD be, in this case; it's about what IS. You don't agree to what should be when you buy something.

#64 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

That digital download? If I delete it from your system you can redownload it again and everything is fine because you own the license. That license means you can have a copy of that game for as long as you want it. I can even delete that game again and you can download it right back.

This isn't complicated.

Jaysonguy

What?

Oh my goodness lol

So you don't know that digital content has been around longer then disc based content? lol

Wow

Ok, well it has so hey, you learned something! lol

There's no expiration date, you own a license, you own a right to a copy of that game.

Want to change your answer to "I like cartridges?" because then I can tell you that a cartridge can keep game saves for about ten years and prove how wrong you are that way.

If a company goes belly up the downloads would be set free, that means you would have to put them on some sort of USB or media card and play them from there.

This isn't complicated, you think it is because you're not well versed in, well just about anything to do with gaming but for the rest of us it's not complicated.

go sit in the corner since it is clear you have no freaking clue what you are talking about 

tumblr_lqgplo1Tau1r0oyz9o1_500.jpg

#65 Posted by Jaysonguy (37631 posts) -

Exactly, I'm right and have shown you how wrong you are and you have no recourse but to post that lol

As you say, answer or stop talking

Though that would be sad because this is hilarious

#66 Posted by Minishdriveby (9847 posts) -

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

This isn't complicated.

Pedro

in said scenario, PSN would faciltate the downloading of all required software before they close their doors. Its that simple. :)

How would I get a copy of the game when PSN shuts down due to the closing of Sony?

#67 Posted by Jaysonguy (37631 posts) -

Minishdriveby

How would I get a copy of the game when PSN shuts down due to the closing of Sony?

There'd be a system where people would be able to download the games they own on a storage device.

It's already happened for companies who sell software, their business ended and you could get a copy of your software that you keep yourself.

#68 Posted by Minishdriveby (9847 posts) -

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]

[QUOTE="Pedro"]in said scenario, PSN would faciltate the downloading of all required software before they close their doors. Its that simple. :)Jaysonguy

There'd be a system where people would be able to download the games they own on a storage device.

It's already happened for companies who sell software, their business ended and you could get a copy of your software that you keep yourself.

That's not the question. If I don't already own the game, how would I buy it if the company shuts down?

There are also other problems with this. If the company shuts down and you're allowed to download the data to a storage device say, the PS3/disc Then your games become tied to the system/disc again. Once again defeating the purpose of DD.  If the storage device dies or is stolen, how do you play your game/buy a new copy?

How long if at all is this offer for downloading what you own available for?

#69 Posted by Bubble_Man (3090 posts) -

first of all, jon is an idiot...

he transferred all his wii data to his wiiU then when it broke he gave it to the store and got a new one...knowing his wii was completely empty to transfer the data again...

i'm sorry but you got to do a little research when you buy high end electronics... i'm sorry.

KBFloYd

Yeah, because you're perfect and have never made a mistake that bad or worse....

It would have been in his benefit to research things a bit more, but Nintendo's policy is still horribly inadequate and needs to be changed.

#70 Posted by Maeode (198 posts) -

I feel bad for Jon in the article here because he's clearly too nice a guy to get proper results.

You call them and you get mad, you get them to fix the situation. You bought those games, and you want access to them, period.

You get tranferred to managers and regional directors until you finally talk to someone that can fix the problem.  This isn't rocket science.

He isn't being vague, hell the nintendo website has a FULL LIST of the games he has bought.  It should take a tech-monkey 5 minutes to unlock those games for him. This is totally unacceptable and I wouldn't allow it.

Throw the $200 credit in their face and demand the GAMES that you already have the digital rights to have access to and to play.