Nintendo Screws Over Ardent Fan

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
This story scares me...I'll be buying the bulk of downloadble games on other systems this gen, and keeping my 122 games on Wii. http://kotaku.com/5982965/nintendo-fan-is-unhappy-with-nintendos-200-answer-to-his-400-wii-u-problem This is good article with very valid criticisms... http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/nintendo-digital-content-problem-wii-u-ecosystem/ The BS system needs to change.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is exactly why I have told my family, friends, and people that I am not buying any digital content for my Nintendo Wii U until Nintendo changes their ridiculous policies. I recommend they do the same, but people will do whatever they want. It blows, but I personally can't risk it or justify it. I have all the machines, and I will continue to enjoy buying Retail Physical copies for my Wii U in the meantime. I already made the mistake of going hog wild on the Wii VC, and I figured Nintendo would rectify the problem sometime down the line. NOPE. Instead, I see stories of people buying Used Wii's and Wii U's and getting loads of other people's Virtual Console games. It's terrible.

Nintendo's lame HDD solution wasn't the greatest idea anyways, but my main concern is addressed in these articles in the OP.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/nintendo-digital-content-problem-wii-u-ecosystem/

and

http://kotaku.com/5982965/nintendo-fan-is-unhappy-with-nintendos-200-answer-to-his-400-wii-u-problem

I have two Wii U's, and I can't put my Network ID on both my consoles. It's terrible. I feel bad for the guy, but he should have done his research, I know I did. I have four PCs and I don't have this problem. I have multiple PS3s and 360s, and I don't have this problem. This problem is Nintendo exclusive, and Nintendo need to wake up. Right now they are just taking advantage of ignorant consumers that don't see the terrible ugly side to how Nintendo is handling online and Digital Downloads. I know I didn't take my $200+ Wii VC games to my Wii Us, hell no.

I've been with Nintendo since BEFORE the NES. I have Mario on Atari. I loved the NES, SNES, etc. I own all the machines. While I bought a Wii U at launch like every other Nintendo machine...I did NOT support their poorly structured online DD setup. It's atrocious, and when enough users like me speak up and VOTE with our dollars (i.e. not spending a dime)...that's when they will alter their awful stance and finally be competitive to what the rest of the world is offering in terms of DD. Until then, more and more people will join that poor kid Jon in that Unhappy fan link. I'm not joining him.

BombingSystems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BombingSystems
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

Daaaamn... That would suck..

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

While I am sympathetic towards him if he is as big a Nintendo fan as he claims he should know (as everyone else does) that Nintendo ties in digital downloads to the machine itself. 

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Well he should have contacted Nintendo before trading his WiiU in, but it's ridiculous that Nintendo wouldn't/couldn't simply unsync his account with his old WiiU and tie his it to his new one, especially since he could prove that he was the owner of the account and that he did in fact trade in his WiiU.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
so is the problem that he returned the Wii U to a store and not Nintendo? When my Wii broke years ago they transferred all my VC games to a new Wii.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Man, that's very damn annoying. Nintendo has quickly put itself directly on my sh!t list, they really are a crap corporation that unfortunately has limitless robots for fans apparently. Sad thing that my wiiU has done little beyond gather dust since i got it...

I really would like to not hate nintendo but their leadership and decision making is utter garbage.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

first of all, jon is an idiot...

he transferred all his wii data to his wiiU then when it broke he gave it to the store and got a new one...knowing his wii was completely empty to transfer the data again...

i'm sorry but you got to do a little research when you buy high end electronics... i'm sorry.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

first of all, jon is an idiot...

he transferred all his wii data to his wiiU then when it broke he gave it to the store and got a new one...knowing his wii was completely empty to transfer the data again...

i'm sorry but you got to do a little research when you buy high end electronics... i'm sorry.

KBFloYd

I do agree, that guy should have done research. Unfortunately, he won't be alone this generation as I'm sure other stories will pop up in the years to come...I'm sure many consumers operate like that because of the other machines way of doing things aren't like Nintendo's. It's a bummer, and he was ignorant.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Nintendo didn't screw him over.... He screwed himself over. Nintendo's system isn't up to standard, that's for sure, but Nintendo also clearly explains that system when you're transferring all your Wii data to WiiU. He didn't do what he was supposed to do, and it came back to bite him.

Nintendo was good enough to work with him and give him $200 for the trouble. For his own mistake. That's more than they had to do. I don't know why they didn't just give him the equivalent amount of money for the Wii Shop Channel, so that sucks for him, but I'd be more than happy with that outcome if I were him and realized that it was my fault in the first place.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

50:50 problem, if he was such an ardent fan, you'd think he knows about how this stuff works. His mistake & he lost $200 bucks for it..so Nintendo acknowledge their problem with their crappy system policy half of $400 is $200 :p

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

so is the problem that he returned the Wii U to a store and not Nintendo? When my Wii broke years ago they transferred all my VC games to a new Wii. bonesawisready5

I always wondered what they would do if a Wii suddenly dies. I was getting a little paranoid and for no reason apparently.

And this guy made a mistake. If he referred to Nintendo instead he would more likely reclaim everything. The single account policy sucks, no doubt, but it's still reliable.

Exile_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Exile_basic
Member since 2002 • 270 Posts
I see where he was wrong, If you have to transfer from the Wii to the Wii U then why would you return the console? Also when you came home from returning the console and realized this, why didn't he go back to the store? I am sure they would still have it. Anyway Nintendo handled this poorly. I really feel for the guy.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I get it that it sucks to send off your new console for repairs and not get it back for a few weeks when you could simply return it to the store and get a new one. But had he sent it to Nintendo, for free, he would have all his content already.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

You don't really own digital content, so it is very stupid to be pro digital distribution. If I have the choice I will always get physical copy. Only things I don't care much about is cheap digital games under $20 and if there's like a major sale on a retail digital game, like a $60 game on sale for $10-20 digitally.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
This is why I rarely buy digital content from Nintendo. There online system is a joke as of now. Why can my live account from 2007 contain all my achievements and Halo online stats AND online but Nintendo can't do this in 2012?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You don't really own digital content

soundcellx

With Nintendo yes, that's true

Overall? No that never happened

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

Jaysonguy

So, you're saying that in 15 years that I will be able to redownload all the games I bought off PSN forever? Is that what you're implying? 

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

So, you're saying that in 15 years that I will be able to redownload all the games I bought off PSN forever? Is that what you're implying? 

Yes, you own a license to that game in that format.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

I severely doubt that digital downloads will be available to us to redownload for life.

Also, you just said that you own the license, which implies that you do not actually own the game. 

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#21 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

so is the problem that he returned the Wii U to a store and not Nintendo? When my Wii broke years ago they transferred all my VC games to a new Wii. bonesawisready5
thats exactly what happened and yes this is old news and nintendo gave the person enough money to rebuy all of his old games plus an extra 50 for the inconvienence

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
This does suck but he's not a true Nintendo fan like he says he is if he didn't know that the game was synced to the system. A true fan like he has claimed himself to be, would've known this. I wish there was a way for him to get his stuff back but unfortunately, until the person who is probably playing his games as I type this, deletes his account off that system, he'll just have to settle for a stupid slap and $200.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]so is the problem that he returned the Wii U to a store and not Nintendo? When my Wii broke years ago they transferred all my VC games to a new Wii. mariokart64fan

thats exactly what happened and yes this is old news and nintendo gave the person enough money to rebuy all of his old games plus an extra 50 for the inconvienence

Did they? Link?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

I severely doubt that digital downloads will be available to us to redownload for life.

Also, you just said that you own the license, which implies that you do not actually own the game. 

I don't care what you think, I care what the facts are.

Also you've shown that you don't understand enough to have this conversation since you don't understand License > owning a physical copy of a game.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jaysonguy

This does suck but he's not a true Nintendo fan like he says he is if he didn't know that the game was synced to the system. A true fan like he has claimed himself to be, would've known this. I wish there was a way for him to get his stuff back but unfortunately, until the person who is probably playing his games as I type this, deletes his account off that system, he'll just have to settle for a stupid slap and $200.nini200

I don't think that fan = well versed on all the ways the console and online system work though.

Nintendo is touting it's single user sign on that they say has all of it's content organized the same way Microsoft and Sony has theirs.

Since Microsoft started doing this in 2002 and Sony started doing it in 2006 a person would be pretty safe in guessing that a console bought in 2012 from a company that said they're more like Sony and Microsoft when it comes to screen names would think that all of their content would be linked to their account.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JordanElek

Since Microsoft started doing this in 2002 and Sony started doing it in 2006 a person would be pretty safe in guessing that a console bought in 2012 from a company that said they're more like Sony and Microsoft when it comes to screen names would think that all of their content would be linked to their account.

Jaysonguy
Did Nintendo say that they're more like Sony and Microsoft, Mr. Facts?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

JordanElek

I kinda like that name lol

Yes they did, they said each person would have to set up a username and link that account to an Email address and then their Club Nintendo account if they had one.

Nintendo said that username the customer picked would be their own account through all of the Wii U's games and services.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Yes they did, they said each person would have to set up a username and link that account to an Email address and then their Club Nintendo account if they had one.

Nintendo said that username the customer picked would be their own account through all of the Wii U's games and services.

Oh, okay, so they didn't say anything about being like Microsoft or Sony.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="JordanElek"] Did Nintendo say that they're more like Sony and Microsoft, Mr. Facts?JordanElek

Oh, okay, so they didn't say anything about being like Microsoft or Sony.

Straight from the manual

The only way you lose your content is if you delete your eShop or Wii Shop accounts.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JordanElek

Straight from the manual

The only way you lose your content is if you delete your eShop or Wii Shop accounts.

Jaysonguy

I love you.

I just searched "eShop" in the manual, and the following contains the third and fourth of four total mentions of the eShop in the whole document:

If your Wii U system still does not operate correctly after trying the troubleshooting steps, DO NOT return the console to the store. You may lose saved game data, Nintendo eShop downloads, and any balance left in your Nintendo eShop account. For assistance and additional troubleshooting and repair options visit support.nintendo.com, or call 1-800-255-3700.WiiU Manual

The other two mentions of the eShop are both related to Parental Controls. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, quoting instruction manuals is THE BEST possible use of the internet. :)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

[QUOTE="nini200"]This does suck but he's not a true Nintendo fan like he says he is if he didn't know that the game was synced to the system. A true fan like he has claimed himself to be, would've known this. I wish there was a way for him to get his stuff back but unfortunately, until the person who is probably playing his games as I type this, deletes his account off that system, he'll just have to settle for a stupid slap and $200.Jaysonguy

I don't think that fan = well versed on all the ways the console and online system work though.

Nintendo is touting it's single user sign on that they say has all of it's content organized the same way Microsoft and Sony has theirs.

Yeah being a fan =/= well versed but he made it seem like he was a huge fan of Nintendo. Yeah true about the Microsoft and Sony examples but in the article it states that the guy bought Nintendo Consoles. I'd love to see an account system like Microsoft's but then you know how fanboys are
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I'm glad I never bought any VC games for the wii. I was afraid this would happen come 'next gen'. Also if I wanted digital copies of SNES/N64 games nintendo would be the last place I'd go to get them.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Also you've shown that you don't understand enough to have this conversation since you don't understand License > owning a physical copy of a game.

Go f uck yourself, you retarded douchebag.

Physical copy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> digital, you moron. You are an idiot if you think that in 20 years you will be able to download the same thing. You don't even know if it will be available then. So, it is clear that you are an idiot that does not understand, so you should shut your dirty whore mouth.

:| temper.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Physical copy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> digital, you moron. You are an idiot if you think that in 20 years you will be able to download the same thing. You don't even know if it will be available then. So, it is clear that you are an idiot that does not understand, so you should shut your dirty whore mouth.

People said the same thing about downloading music too, that turned out to be a joke. Maybe when you get through your angsty pubescent years you'll understand.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

...Whoa. 

wide-eyed+shock+gif.gif

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

WreckEm711

People said the same thing about downloading music too, that turned out to be a joke. Maybe when you get through your angsty pubescent years you'll understand.

He's sort of right about games though, especially console DD games. DD music is great because basically any device will support it. With consoles your DDs are tied to that specific system/corporation. Honestly, DD games is the way to go for PC gaming because it's so open, but on a console, I'd choose a hard copy.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I wouldn't say Nintendo exactly screwed him over, as it was the customer's fault for not properly researching how the system worked. But yes, Nintendo does handle it's online portion of its consoles very poorly, so Nintendo isn't exactly innocent when it comes to these incidents.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 soundcellx

People have to be really nieve to believe that games by developers who have gone out of business, unpopular games that sold badly, games that have been taken off the store (Mortal Kombat (forget which ones) on PSN, Donkey Kong Country Trilogy, etc.) that are not there but are still there if you paid for and downloaded them, etc., will still be there in 50 years time for free redownload. Tons of stuff gets taken off these digital stores, and what guarantee does anyone have to get their games back? Pretty sure I've heard of more stories than just this one.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

Minishdriveby

He's sort of right about games though, especially console DD games. DD music is great because basically any device will support it. With consoles your DDs are tied to that specific system/corporation. Honestly, DD games is the way to go for PC gaming because it's so open, but on a console, I'd choose a hard copy.

Like all technology, it progresses, it's not condemned to remain static forever. Just last gen expansive online services were a joke on consoles, this year they're largely the focal point. DD gaming has progressed very rapidly just over the course of this gen, and will continue to do so. People who choose to stick their heads in the dirt to pretend otherwise are ignoring history and any sense of realization over technology over the last 5-10 years..

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JordanElek

WreckEm711

Ehhh, games are way different from music. Music is easily converted to a digital format that will play on pretty much any device designed to do so. If you have the master tracks from any song from any time period, you can make that into a song to sell with very little work. Games aren't anything like that. For example, every VC game comes with its own custom emulator to ensure that it works properly, and that emulator only works on the console that Nintendo designed it for.

There may be a point where every new game is basically future-proof because they're designed to be, but that's not the case for old games. We'll always be able to download them illegally, but the legit stuff that companies have designed specifically for sale (like the VC) will become unavailable for redownload as soon as the servers that house them are shut down. We might be able to access NEW versions of them, but Wii downloads will be gone forever at some point.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

JordanElek

Ehhh, games are way different from music. Music is easily converted to a digital format that will play on pretty much any device designed to do so. If you have the master tracks from any song from any time period, you can make that into a song to sell with very little work. Games aren't anything like that. For example, every VC game comes with its own custom emulator to ensure that it works properly, and that emulator only works on the console that Nintendo designed it for.

There may be a point where every new game is basically future-proof because they're designed to be, but that's not the case for old games. We'll always be able to download them illegally, but the legit stuff that companies have designed specifically for sale (like the VC) will become unavailable for redownload as soon as the servers that house them are shut down. We might be able to access NEW versions of them, but Wii downloads will be gone forever at some point.

Which basically means the only way to ensure you own your DD copy at the moment is by "stealing" it.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

JordanElek

That was said as a vague generalization to things that used to be taboo when considered for digital download :P I remember the big fuss when music downloading started to take off and everyone was bawing over wanting to keep the physical disc. Technology progressed, so too shall game downloading. I'm not sure why people have any doubt of this, given how far it has progressed in such a very short timespan. We're beginning the road to skipping DD altogether and direct play of streaming games from servers across the country.. DD will reach the level I'm talking about, just because people can't comprehend how it would work down the road NOW doesn't make it any less inevitable. 

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 soundcellx

Just because it may work perfectly in the future doesn't mean that it does now. 

All I'm saying is that it is ridiculous to have faith that what you download now, will be available for you to download again for free in 60 years. If you buy a game off of PSN or XBL or Nintendo VC / eShop, what if that service does not exist in 60 years? What then? 

What about when the games released already are not available in 40 years?  

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WreckEm711

All I'm saying is that it is ridiculous to have faith that what you download now, will be available for you to download again for free in 60 years. If you buy a game off of PSN or XBL or Nintendo VC / eShop, what if that service does not exist in 60 years? What then? 

soundcellx

That's fair, guess I kind of got off topic huh? :P

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jaysonguy

soundcellx

I swear to Christ......

CD's, DVD's, all optical discs expire over time. The pressed disc you have has a lifespan that's going to run out. We've already seen discs from the first generation of disc based games come up with errors.

The devices that read them are also limited in how many uses you can get out of them, the *$#*#@$ Wii had problems with reading discs in the first year!

Since you don't understand about the whole license > physical thing I'm going to help you where even you can understand.

See that disc? If I snap that disc in half you're never going to play that game again because you own that disc and it's playing days are over

That digital download? If I delete it from your system you can redownload it again and everything is fine because you own the license. That license means you can have a copy of that game for as long as you want it. I can even delete that game again and you can download it right back.

This isn't complicated.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#47 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
From my point of view, this was the fan fault. I agree is not the best solution to keep the SW linked to the HW, but then again, this was a known fact and is completely valid that, if you "disposed" of your console with all the content, you loose it. Nintendo did great by giving him store credit. Again, I understand is not enough but the current situation is clear and Nintendo tried to some extent
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soundcellx

That digital download? If I delete it from your system you can redownload it again and everything is fine because you own the license. That license means you can have a copy of that game for as long as you want it. I can even delete that game again and you can download it right back.

This isn't complicated.

Jaysonguy

digital downloads really have not been around long enough for you to know how the media available today will be available in the future, so you should shut your yap.

So, if you buy say, Flower or some weird digital game off PSN, and in 20 years there is no PSN, and the company who made Flower and Sony also shut down and didn't exist anymore, how are you going to get that digital download if all the companies you bought it from go extinct? Also, is there no expiration date for the stuff you buy? 

So, actually it is complicated, since you don't know how it works either. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#49 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

This isn't complicated.

soundcellx

digital downloads really have not been around long enough for you to know how the media available today will be available in the future, so you should shut your yap.

So, if you buy say, Flower or some weird digital game off PSN, and in 20 years there is no PSN, and the company who made Flower and Sony also shut down and didn't exist anymore, how are you going to get that digital download if all the companies you bought it from go extinct? Also, is there no expiration date for the stuff you buy? 

in said scenario, PSN would faciltate the downloading of all required software before they close their doors. Its that simple. :)
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

This isn't complicated.

Pedro

in said scenario, PSN would faciltate the downloading of all required software before they close their doors. Its that simple. :)

and after that?

who would be legally required to have digital media available for download FOREVER?Â