New Super Mario Bros U scored on IGN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-review

Well guys, IGN's review for NSMBU is finally here, I don't wanna spoil it for you but I was very surprised.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's 9GN. I don't doubt it'll be a good game, but I doubt it scores higher than an 8.5 on GS.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong. I want it to be an amazing game.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

SOLD!

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Told yall. 8.5 on GS and 9 on IGN. MAYBE a 9 on GS, but no lower than an 8.5

Nintendo Land ws also reviewed. ABout what I expected to be honest.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 spike6958

NaveedLife
Yeah, I just got done reading the Nintendo Land one. I personally found it hilarious that there only negative at the end there was that "Grandma might not understand".
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

spike6958

Yeah, I just got done reading the Nintendo Land one. I personally found it hilarious that there only negative at the end there was that "Grandma might not understand".

It defitely looks a lot more entertaining and fully featured than other games like Wii Sports. Somethign I actually want to own.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GreekGameManiac

NaveedLife

I'M SOLD DAYUMIT,ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME???

XD

Yeah,not surprised,it was only expected,and still great.

Had they improved the dull environental graphics(backgrounds and levels COULD look much better!).

And used more variety in the soundtrack.

It'd be perfect.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spike6958

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

It defitely looks a lot more entertaining and fully featured than other games like Wii Sports. Somethign I actually want to own.

Agreed. I'm getting excited now, sucks us in the UK have to wait till the 30th but if these recent reviews are anything to go by I think Nintendo is onto a real winner with WiiU.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Already played both, enjoyed both

No surprises here

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Rich's review was good and the game sounds like it turned out really well, I don't know why people continue to expect the series to make visual leaps and bounds. After 3 games of not doing it, its pretty clear that they make a conscious choice to not do it. I guess they think, simpler visuals are more inviting, than complex ones, but whatever the reason that's clear what they want to do. He should give up on expecting anything different. Now the music is another thing, they can retire NSMB theme at some point lol.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="spike6958"] Yeah, I just got done reading the Nintendo Land one. I personally found it hilarious that there only negative at the end there was that "Grandma might not understand".spike6958

Agreed. I'm getting excited now, sucks us in the UK have to wait till the 30th but if these recent reviews are anything to go by I think Nintendo is onto a real winner with WiiU.

Well I stupidly didn't pre-order (should have, even if I ended up canceling it), so I don't know when I will be getting one. If they continue to impress me with games (Zeld and Metroid need to be awesome) I will have no problem buying one. As it currently stands I would be super tempted right now if given the opportunity :P.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NaveedLife

Rich's review was good and the game sounds like it turned out really well, I don't know why people continue to expect the series to make visual leaps and bounds. After 3 games of not doing it, its pretty clear that they make a conscious choice to not do it. I guess they think, simpler visuals are more inviting, than complex ones, but whatever the reason that's clear what they want to do. He should give up on expecting anything different. Now the music is another thing, they can retire NSMB theme at some point lol. Sepewrath

i think the game looks pretty awesome, though of course it could be a bit better technically and have more depth. With that said, I think the artwork of the backgrounds and so on are much better than something like DKCR. I really like the backgrounds and the HD. It all looks so crisp and nostalgiac to me.

I fully agree that the music is always ignored though. THey put tons of effort into 3D mario's, but not 2D.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Rich's review was good and the game sounds like it turned out really well, I don't know why people continue to expect the series to make visual leaps and bounds. After 3 games of not doing it, its pretty clear that they make a conscious choice to not do it. I guess they think, simpler visuals are more inviting, than complex ones, but whatever the reason that's clear what they want to do. He should give up on expecting anything different. Now the music is another thing, they can retire NSMB theme at some point lol. Sepewrath
I don't mind the New Super Mario Bros. visual style, but when you think about it Nintendo could do so much more visually, especially on an HD console, with 2D Mario. Just look at how great Rayman Legends looks on the Wii U, it kind of makes you wish Mario could look as stylish and impressive in 2D.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

NaveedLife

I honestly would be surprised if it got 7.5'd here.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Rich's review was good and the game sounds like it turned out really well, I don't know why people continue to expect the series to make visual leaps and bounds. After 3 games of not doing it, its pretty clear that they make a conscious choice to not do it. I guess they think, simpler visuals are more inviting, than complex ones, but whatever the reason that's clear what they want to do. He should give up on expecting anything different. Now the music is another thing, they can retire NSMB theme at some point lol. NaveedLife

i think the game looks pretty awesome, though of course it could be a bit better technically and have more depth. With that said, I think the artwork of the backgrounds and so on are much better than something like DKCR. I really like the backgrounds and the HD. It all looks so crisp and nostalgiac to me.

I fully agree that the music is always ignored though. THey put tons of effort into 3D mario's, but not 2D.

Yeah,wtf? i'm willing to give it a lower score cause of that >_>.

Just use new tracks,damnit!

perfectdark69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 perfectdark69
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

What did gamespot not get any Wii U games? Where are your reviews?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Shinobishyguy

I think you meant "Wouldn't"?

I absolutely guarentee that will not happen :P. I would be SHOCKED.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]Rich's review was good and the game sounds like it turned out really well, I don't know why people continue to expect the series to make visual leaps and bounds. After 3 games of not doing it, its pretty clear that they make a conscious choice to not do it. I guess they think, simpler visuals are more inviting, than complex ones, but whatever the reason that's clear what they want to do. He should give up on expecting anything different. Now the music is another thing, they can retire NSMB theme at some point lol. Haziqonfire
I don't mind the New Super Mario Bros. visual style, but when you think about it Nintendo could do so much more visually, especially on an HD console, with 2D Mario. Just look at how great Rayman Legends looks on the Wii U, it kind of makes you wish Mario could look as stylish and impressive in 2D.

They should do something more next time. Maybe something very different looking. But this was a great looking end to the New series (if it is the end, which it probably is not). It caps it off and makes it look amazing. Now move on :P.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Nintendo land will also get a 9.0 is McShea reviews it
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] I honestly would be surprised if it got 7.5'd here.

Shinobishyguy

Nintendo land will also get a 9.0 is McShea reviews it

lol really? I am guessing 8 with 8.5 at highest. Great scores, but not a 9.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

It's 9GN. I don't doubt it'll be a good game, but I doubt it scores higher than an 8.5 on GS.

yokofox33

The reviews state consistently state that basically, this is better and more imaginative than any of the other New Super Mario Bros games but at the same time it's not particularly innovative and there aren't any huge surprises.

So, if you're in the mood for a great Mario -- if you want it to be an amazing game -- it doesn't sound like you'll be disappointed.

However 8.5 or less on GS is almost inevitable.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Are the little platforms that you can create using the touchscreen mandatory for completing levels or is that more of a help and to give another player something to do?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NaveedLife

Are the little platforms that you can create using the touchscreen mandatory for completing levels or is that more of a help and to give another player something to do?

Euaggelistes

Just a "fun" addition to make it easier/harder for the player. I think it is kinda lame to be honest, but it is completely optional, so who cares.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spike6958

Euaggelistes
It's there for two reasons from what I can see. For people who are playing with someone who's too young/inexperienced to play the game as a second character but who still want to help (kinda like the second player in the Mario Galaxy games), or for people looking for ways to speed-run levels.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

NaveedLife

Just a "fun" addition to make it easier/harder for the player. I think it is kinda lame to be honest, but it is completely optional, so who cares.

it is optional but i think its brilliant. It means you can play co op with a casual gamer and they can still have a good time. The co op seems more substantial than in Mario Galaxy

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

GunSmith1_basic

it is optional but i think its brilliant. It means you can play co op with a casual gamer and they can still have a good time. The co op seems more substantial than in Mario Galaxy

I don't like the idea because it basically says "see this wonderful level design? Who cares, I will just make my own." But again, it doesn't hurt me either, since its optional.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I haven't played a single NSMB ever :|.

Sounds like this is the definitive one though. I mean, if some sites are saying this is the best one even if they say its no different than the others in actual features and such, than a newcomer like me should love it.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

I have already played this same exact game 3 times already.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

soundcellx
Wow. How did you get your hands on a Wii U already?
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Don't need to.

There's already plenty of gameplay videos, reviews, etc. Also, there are already 3 NSMB games that are exactly the same. And tell me what the title of this game is.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Don't need to.

There's already plenty of gameplay videos, reviews, etc. Also, there are already 3 NSMB games that are exactly the same. And tell me what the title of this game is.

Why do I get the feeling that you do not understand what "exactly" means?
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Wow. How did you get your hands on a Wii U already?Toxic-Seahorse

Don't need to.

Why do I get the feeling that you do not understand what "exactly" means?

Sorry, I have already played this very rehashed game. Still, I will be getting it since there is no other good launch title. At least it's in HD.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

yokofox33

this is generally true but not always true. There are cases where GS rated a game higher than IGN.

I think that NSMBU could do that. GS doesn't put huge emphasis on graphics and they enjoy it when companies mix up a formula. This new NSMB looks absolutely loaded with new and interesting features. That scrolling stage challenge where you speed it up by collecting coins is really clever. The idea of having a player put down blocks with the touch screen is really cute and I can imagine little kids loving that feature. I would even have fun playing around with it. You can use it for good or evil remember.

We'll see. Personally I love the NSMB series. It isn't super exciting and epic but those games are great time sinks with simple, addictive gameplay.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

NaveedLife
I thought the same, until I watched a video from Gamesradar, where someone was trolling with the blocks, it was pretty damn funny. At least in small doses, that could be fun or if used for the other extreme, which is doing trick/speed runs. In that video, the best part, was a point where there was a ring of spinning boo's, the guy when to jump through the opening and the GP user put a block there. He hit the block and fell on the boo's and responded "you are such a...." before everyone else started laughing at him. It could be good for a party setting, providing the right kind of play is used.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Good review, he pointed the finger at exactly the things I thought were wrong with the other "new" Mario games, they just did feel watered down.
I guess I made a good decision pre-ordering NSMBU :)

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I'm guessing 7.5-8.0 here

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Anybody think it strange that IGN are the ones that rated both NL and NSMBU the highest scores out of pretty much everyone else aside from the ONM? They had much more news on the WiiU prior (well at least it was more obvious considering they had a freaking comparison size vid), compared to other sites so it doesn't surprise me that they would rate both so highly.

Still I expect both to be a worthy addition to my game collection no less :).