Microsoft is going to release a 360 motion sensing remote. How will Wii compete?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BrotherGamer
Member since 2007 • 80 Posts

It's a staple of the video games industry, Nintendo invents a brilliant innovation to a controller, and every competitor copies it. What will happen when MSFT enevitably releases the 360's version of full motion sensing controller? Choosing between nearly identical playing multiplatform games for example, the 360 would take every customer, due to the highly superior graphics etc.

I am not a fanboy, I own every game platform, I am just concerned that Nintendo has put too much into the unique innovation of their controller (which all competitors will duplicate in some form) sans the highest quality first party titles, how can Nintendo compete when this eventually happen? I for one would buy every multiplatform game on the 360 (or maybe PS3, if they improve the motion control of the scheme they currently have)

Also I have no "Official source", however I find it incredibly dubious that this would not eventually happen. Think shoulder buttons, think analog, think rumble...now think motion sensing...now think Nintendo innovated all of these features, so how could the competitors (MSFT, Sony) not duplicate this technology to make their systems even more successful?

SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
I don't think it would matter. the Wii is much more user-friendly for non-gamers. the console is cheaper & better looking. So i still think the non-gamers would choose the Wii.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
Wow, making stuff up to cause trouble on a weekend.
How original
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)
BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BrotherGamer

I don't think it would matter. the Wii is much more user-friendly for non-gamers. the console is cheaper & better looking. So i still think the non-gamers would choose the Wii.SuzumeCake

The Wii does have a simpler interface, but not that much more simple. In fact the online component of 360 is way more user friendly than the Wii. It is cheaper, however the aesthetic quality of the Wii is very nice, but so is the 360. I have both and the Wii fit snuggly right on top of my 360, in fact they compliment each other. They both have very smooth technological appearances.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="SuzumeCake"]I don't think it would matter. the Wii is much more user-friendly for non-gamers. the console is cheaper & better looking. So i still think the non-gamers would choose the Wii.BrotherGamer

The Wii does have a simpler interface, but not that much more simple. In fact the online component of 360 is way more user friendly than the Wii. It is cheaper, however the aesthetic quality of the Wii is very nice, but so is the 360. I have both and the Wii fit snuggly right on top of my 360, in fact they compliment each other. They both have very smooth technological appearances.

No, not even close

This belongs in system wars by the way
BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BrotherGamer

they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)shoeman12

Not true. Rumble packs on N64 sold very well, new Xbox original controllers went over well, and oh wait, those Wii Classic controllers must be selling like garbage? NOT! It didn't come with the system, I bought one, and so did most other people that have the system want one. Controller devices that are released indepedently of the system iteself can be very successful. Your assumption was wrong.

weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

If they do, they'll be screwed...why?

Because then everyone will call them copycats, it'll ruin their reputation, and more people will want the original....

weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 weazur

Because then everyone will call them copycats, it'll ruin their reputation, and more people will want the original....

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure there was a Microsoft Sidewinder PC controller with tilt a long time ago. Nintendo doesn't inventany of this stuff they just make it their own standard before anyone else. Whatever though :P
BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BrotherGamer
[QUOTE="BrotherGamer"]

[QUOTE="SuzumeCake"]I don't think it would matter. the Wii is much more user-friendly for non-gamers. the console is cheaper & better looking. So i still think the non-gamers would choose the Wii.Jaysonguy

No, not even close

This belongs in system wars by the way

This is not a system war, its system comparison and analysis. Please explain your contradiction, because you sound crazy and non-sensical.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)BrotherGamer

Not true. Rumble packs on N64 sold very well, new Xbox original controllers went over well, and oh wait, those Wii Classic controllers must be selling like garbage? NOT! It didn't come with the system, I bought one, and so did most other people that have the system want one. Controller devices that are released indepedently of the system iteself can be very successful. Your assumption was wrong.

Rumble Packs did NOT sell well and were one of the system's weaknesses
The XBOX controller was the same exact thing replacing a horrid design, it didn't bring anything new to the system
C l a s s i c controller isn't needed for the Wii

You make a poor argument
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)BrotherGamer

i mean completely new controllers released later on in a consoles life don't do too well. if ms released a wiimote mockup right now, few games would use it and in the end it would fail. because it is not standard for all games, it would fail.
BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrotherGamer

weazur

Just like when Sony copied the analog control interface of the Nintendo 64 controller? And it ruined Sony's Reputation and the Playstation 2 went on to become the biggest commercial failure of a video game system? Nope.

Nintendo has always been the lead innovator, and Sony and Microsoft and virtually every possible console creator will continue to copy their innovations. Trust me, being on copy cat status does not harm their business.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

This is not a system war, its system comparison and analysis. Please explain your contradiction, because you sound crazy and non-sensical.

BrotherGamer

Are you only talking about the Wii?
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't Wii is spelled "360"

System wars
JesterSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JesterSage
Member since 2005 • 597 Posts
There is one problem with the idea of "copying": not everyone think that Wiimote is a good idea, and I am not talking about "because it's on different console". I know, for example, a guy who just hate the fact that SIXAXISrequire him to move around. While MS may use EEE on most things, and may seems to have break many things, they are still more of the company that would rather improve existing stuff then to try radical new stuff.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts
The last generation was exactly what you are saying, every system was almost the same.
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 weazur
[QUOTE="weazur"]

BrotherGamer

Just like when Sony copied the analog control interface of the Nintendo 64 controller? And it ruined Sony's Reputation and the Playstation 2 went on to become the biggest commercial failure of a video game system? Nope.

Nintendo has always been the lead innovator, and Sony and Microsoft and virtually every possible console creator will continue to copy their innovations. Trust me, being on copy cat status does not harm their business.

alright, I see that, but what about the ps3? Doesn't anyone think that its motion sensor is a big copy of the Wii's motions? and te ps3 is selling badly btw..but that might be price
joeyg1097

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 joeyg1097
Member since 2002 • 93 Posts
Since the Wii is limited hardware-wise, thus limiting texture resolution, shaders, etc., development for Wii will still be far easier, less costly, and, most importantly, quicker. This will lead to more games in a shorter period of time than Xbox360, assuming developers want to spend less and make more money. The quality of those games, of course, will depend on the developer, thus there is the possibility of more Ubisofting (to be fair to them, I thought Red Steel was quite good for what it does and Rayman was apparently good as well). Xbox360 might get better looking games with possibly better AI but the development time and costs will still be atrocious compared to Wii. On a related note, I think the PS3 is going to have the worst droughts this gen mainly because the costs and time of development are going to be so high (especially due to the Cell and the high graphical expectations) that only a limited number of developers/publishers could afford to make games for it. As hardware gets better, it seems that it takes far longer with more money to make games. The Wii, however, overcomes this difficulty by using an interface that is very Gamecube'ish and limits the amount of time developers can spend on graphics. This might also lead to more gameplay experimentation on Wii due to flops not costing the developer as much. Some say that the higher costs of games has led to a trend of sequels and lower inovation due to not wanting to take risks since millions of dollars are on the line these days. Even if Xbox360 gets motion sensing, it shouldn't be a problem for Wii as long as developers realize that they make more money on it, can pump out games a lot easier, and small developers, typically the more innovative ones, as well as the large ones can be free to experiment and innovate on the Wii due to the lower financing required.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tomarlyn

Rumble packs didn't effect gameplay content except some little thing in OoT, the xbox S-Pad was just a re-release it was the same controller but a different layout, Classic Controllers are primarily for use with Virtual Console games and aren't neccesary for Wii gaming. They can't be considered the same thing as Bongo's, Eyetoy or anything else that changes the game because they naturally flop.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
You are a lier. Also if they did release something like that it would be a cheap knock-off, just like the PS3. No trouble. 
BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrotherGamer
[QUOTE="BrotherGamer"]

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)shoeman12

i mean completely new controllers released later on in a consoles life don't do too well. if ms released a wiimote mockup right now, few games would use it and in the end it would fail.

I never said right now, they could announce it in 18 months, giving developers time to develop different controller modes. They easy online interface would allow programmers the ability to use software updates to create new versions of games that would use the updated control interface. It would breathe new life into older titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
It could never be like the Wii-mote. Nintendo owns the patent. Thats why the PS3 no longer has rumble.
mitchconlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mitchconlin
Member since 2005 • 1218 Posts
[QUOTE="BrotherGamer"]

[QUOTE="shoeman12"]they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)tomarlyn

Rumble packs didn't effect gameplay content except some little thing in OoT, the xbox S-Pad was just a re-release it was the same controller but a different layout, Classic Controllers are primarily for use with Virtual Console games and aren't neccesary for Wii gaming. They can't be considered the same thing as Bongo's, Eyetoy or anything else that changes the game because they naturally flop.

The dk bongos werent a total flop i thought donkey konga as a fun game.( i dont own it though)

But thats not really the same as releasign a whole new remote.

Also some games with differnet remotes can work, Guitar hero..

Xaero019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xaero019
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Bill Gates has to go into his big and complex head and look for an original idea. Please Microsoft don't follow the PS3 path and copy somethingjust to watch your consloe fail

P.S. PS3 still is a piece of crap.

the_hsoj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 the_hsoj
Member since 2006 • 1289 Posts
its not going to happen this gen at least. and if it does they might have a lawsuit on there hands
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tomarlyn

It could never be like the Wii-mote. Nintendo owns the patent. Thats why the PS3 no longer has rumble.Nuck81
Microsoft supposedly has had prototype technology for years thats far more advanced than the Wiimote but different enough to be considered unique. But they consider it a risk and would rather let Nintendo take that plunge first. Which wouldn't really surprise me if its true.

Oh Nintendo and Microsoft got sued for rumble too but payed a settlement. Ninty doesn't invent this stuff they just put it into practice.

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
not going to happen this gen
Avatar image for stealth360snipa
stealth360snipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 stealth360snipa
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts

ur retarded. y would microsoft ever do that.

hotplayer220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 hotplayer220
Member since 2004 • 1818 Posts
They won't be incorporating it into this gen, thats for sure.
Robertfaler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Robertfaler
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I think the real question is how strong Nintendo's patents on their motion sensing controllers are.  I can almost guarantee that neither Sony or MS won't come up with a wiimote mock-up this generation, and even if they wanted to next generation, I doubt they would be able to develop anything too similar to the wiimote.  When you think about it, the wiimote/nunchuck combination is pretty much the best form of control developed yet; its pretty much a standard controller split in half with motion sensing on both parts.  I think if anyone wanted to steal off Nintendo, they would have to copy the wiimote/nunchuck format, and that would probably lead to some massive lawsuits because it'd be too much of a blatant rip-off. 

Personally, I think if anyone tries to steal from Nintendo it will be Sony; they've already thrown in motion sensing on the PS3 remote at the last minute; and Bill Gates himself wasn't enthusiastic about using motion sensing controls for consoles.   

ArbitorCheif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArbitorCheif
Member since 2004 • 112 Posts
Where did you hear this?
PhilliesPhan02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PhilliesPhan02
Member since 2006 • 184 Posts
Wow, making stuff up to cause trouble on a weekend.
How original
Jaysonguy
no man is true. a couple months ago i saw the exact thing on AOL.com/
be_very_afraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 be_very_afraid
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

Try playing Super Mario World with a Gamecube controller before you call the Classic controller pointless.

Edit: I forgot to talk about the on topic. I believe if Microsoft released a Wii-mote style controller, whether or not it is successful would depend mostly on how much Microsoft adopts it, if they were to heavily support it i think it could take off. I do not, however, see Microsoft releasing such a controller, because they make a ton of money on what they already do, plus they can say that they're the "alternative" to the tilt controllers.

Tking1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#35 Tking1293
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts
nintendo is also trying to appeal to non-gamers. So it really won't matter all that much.
reggie186

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 reggie186
Member since 2004 • 3910 Posts
Nothing will change if MS makes their own motion sensing controller...in the same way that it doesn't matter that Sony has motion sensor controllers. The Wii is still a vastly differently system.
BrotherGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BrotherGamer

I think the real question is how strong Nintendo's patents on their motion sensing controllers are.  I can almost guarantee that neither Sony or MS won't come up with a wiimote mock-up this generation, and even if they wanted to next generation, I doubt they would be able to develop anything too similar to the wiimote.  When you think about it, the wiimote/nunchuck combination is pretty much the best form of control developed yet; its pretty much a standard controller split in half with motion sensing on both parts.  I think if anyone wanted to steal off Nintendo, they would have to copy the wiimote/nunchuck format, and that would probably lead to some massive lawsuits because it'd be too much of a blatant rip-off. 

Personally, I think if anyone tries to steal from Nintendo it will be Sony; they've already thrown in motion sensing on the PS3 remote at the last minute; and Bill Gates himself wasn't enthusiastic about using motion sensing controls for consoles.   

Robertfaler

Actually most modern controllers are blatant rip-offs of the uber-perfect Super Nintendo Controller. Dual shock, 360 controller, the format is streamlined identically to the SNES, except with more buttons and analog. (Analog being "borrowed" from the N64 innovation). So in other words, they will make "different enough" and it be incorporated into the other next generation (CURRENT next gen), or next next generation systems.

tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts
Yea, because EVEN if they do im sure every game will make full use of it, expically multi platform games.
L00pey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 L00pey
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts
this info is bogus, one word: WII60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!1111one!!!!!! !!
shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shark2k6
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

It could never be like the Wii-mote. Nintendo owns the patent. Thats why the PS3 no longer has rumble.Nuck81

Might want to get your facts straight.  Nintendo does not own the patent for rumble.  It is some other company and they in fact sued all three of the console companies.  Microsoft agreed to pay, I don't know how Nintendo handled it and Sony took out the rumble feature because they said it "interfered" with the motion-sensing of their controller.

And for all you people that think this is going to happen, this person is just speculating, which is why this should be in system wars and not in this forum.

-Shark2k

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
I always saw the nintendo wiimote as something to attract gamers, and the games like Warioware and Brain Training as games to attract new gamers. I really dont understand all this non-gamer commotion...
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
People it is IMPOSSIBLE for Microsoft to get the same original games as the Wii. The 360 could have the EXACT same controller as the Wii and still wouldn't have as many original games. This is a fact, and is because the amount of money creating a game and the risk of having a game being unsuccessful on the Wii is less of an issue then it is on the 360. Hell for a console where devs are trying to find extra ways to make money *in-game advertising, micro-transactions, episodic content, etc.* because copying what's sells good isn't making enough money. I doubt they'd risk putting out something totally original and unproven.
greenneil4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 greenneil4
Member since 2005 • 2041 Posts

Microsoft will never release a motion sensing controller

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FLYmeatwad
Member since 2006 • 553 Posts
they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)shoeman12
Let's not forget that giant Guitar controller failure either, I mean who would want something like that?
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
[QUOTE="shoeman12"]they wouldn't make one for the current 360. controllers and such that aren't released alongside the console fail ( like dk bongos, eyetoy)FLYmeatwad
Let's not forget that giant Guitar controller failure either, I mean who would want something like that?

Yeah, I also remembered something ridiculous, do you actually know that Konami released a game with a dance pad!!!??? How stupid.