Mario Kart 8 exploit discovered - "fire hopping"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Hopefully this gets patched fast, it's clearly not intended.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

So is it extending the boost time? If so, yes that does need to be patched.

Snaking is the last thing we need to return and this is similar to it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

hopefully this doesn't ruin the online

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts
@nini200 said:

Yes, it allows you to go faster for a longer time and it makes it a lot easier to boost over grass and bypass parts of the course. It completely ruins the level design of a few of the courses. All the world records are fire hopped now.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@k3ck said:
@nini200 said:

Yes, it allows you to go faster for a longer time and it makes it a lot easier to boost over grass and bypass parts of the course. It completely ruins the level design of a few of the courses. All the world records are fire hopped now.

Yeah this is some bullshit. Hopefully they patch it and clear the leaderboards.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nini200

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@k3ck said:
@nini200 said:

Yeah this is some bullshit. Hopefully they patch it and clear the leaderboards.

Wow well yeah they gonna have to do something about this. Patch it and clearing the leaderboards would fix it.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@nini200 said:

Wow well yeah they gonna have to do something about this. Patch it and clearing the leaderboards would fix it.

Remember what a mess the Wii Kart records were?

They wont fix them

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i dont see the issue.... only the pros will be affected...and only in time trials.

in online races its totally irrelevant because of the items you can get.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

i dont see the issue

You're missing how one of the core pieces of the game being broken is bad?

I want you to sit in the corner and think long and hard over what you just said

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@KBFloYd said:

i dont see the issue

You're missing how one of the core pieces of the game being broken is bad?

I want you to sit in the corner and think long and hard over what you just said

wavedashing is awesome....

there i said it :P

fire hopping wont do shit against a red or green shell.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200

@Jaysonguy said:

@nini200 said:

Remember what a mess the Wii Kart records were?

They wont fix them

Yeah those were disasterous. People getting 0:00:00:01 second records.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

i dont see the issue.... only the pros will be affected...and only in time trials.

I have to agree.

I see this simply as in-game physics working based on their own rules. If you hit a boost and you go airborn, then your boost isn't slowed down by the friction of the race course. This has basically been in all of the Mario Kart games since the 64 version and I see nothing wrong with it.

Although MK8 is a bit more skill based than previous Mario Kart games, online races are still as chaotic as ever. Even the best of the best can jump from 1st to 7th because of how unpredictable races can get. The "exploit" is available to everyone, it's easy to do, and only gives you an extra second of boost per drift. Complaining about this "exploit" is similar to a newcomer complaining about getting beaten by players who know how to drift, where to drift, and were lucky enough to get a mushroom to cut a corner or jump off the Rainbow Road shortcut. It doesn't seem as broken as snaking in MKDS or teleports you to the other side of the track like the Maka Wuhu glitch. You basically press the hop button after a boost. Fire hopping seems like a great technique for time trials but isn't practical when you have 11 other players that can be constantly colliding with you. Besides, MK8 doesn't provide an equal playing field regardless of fire hopping's existence.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 super600
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@KBFloYd said:

I have to agree.

I see this simply as in-game physics working based on their own rules. If you hit a boost and you go airborn, then your boost isn't slowed down by the friction of the race course. This has basically been in all of the Mario Kart games since the 64 version and I see nothing wrong with it.

Although MK8 is a bit more skill based than previous Mario Kart games, online races are still as chaotic as ever. Even the best of the best can jump from 1st to 7th because of how unpredictable races can get. The "exploit" is available to everyone, it's easy to do, and only gives you an extra second of boost per drift. Complaining about this "exploit" is similar to a newcomer complaining about getting beaten by players who know how to drift, where to drift, and were lucky enough to get a mushroom to cut a corner or jump off the Rainbow Road shortcut. It doesn't seem as broken as snaking in MKDS or teleports you to the other side of the track like the Maka Wuhu glitch. You basically press the hop button after a boost. Fire hopping seems like a great technique for time trials but isn't practical when you have 11 other players that can be constantly colliding with you. Besides, MK8 doesn't provide an equal playing field regardless of fire hopping's existence.

The problem with a glitch like this glitch in online play is that if people abuse something like this and they are good enough they can pretty much destroy everyone racing and it may create an even more unfair advantage for people playing online if more people use this glitch. It's not as bad as some of the ultra shortcuts in mario kart wii, but nintendo may want to watch how this glitch affects Mario Kart 8's online.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 super600
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@k3ck said:
@nini200 said:

You can not go across grass without a mushroom still. You can mini turbo off of grass while you are under the effects of the mushroom.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I'm just going to say it... I didn't think snaking was the worst thing in the world... It was an exploit but it took skill to perform really effectively. I wasn't all that good at it and I rarely used it unless I was the only one racing that wasn't using it...

There... I said it...

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@roboccs said:

I'm just going to say it... I didn't think snaking was the worst thing in the world... It was an exploit but it took skill to perform really effectively. I wasn't all that good at it and I rarely used it unless I was the only one racing that wasn't using it...

There... I said it...

I agree. It's not like this exploit can only happen for one person. If you're competitive enough, you will learn this fire hopping trick to even the playing field.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm on the fence with this one. It looks like it could be fine - if it takes skill to do, and it isn't too severely OP'd, then it might be okay. There are a lot of little subtle tricks in MK7 that most people here probably don't know about, but it takes skill to master those tricks to become a better racer.

I'll have to think about this one.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nini200

@FFCYAN said:

@roboccs said:

There... I said it...

I agree. It's not like this exploit can only happen for one person. If you're competitive enough, you will learn this fire hopping trick to even the playing field.

I am extremely good at snaking but I think it is bullcrap just like the slight speed increase you got from walking the motorcycles on the Wii version. I actually got back online on the Wii version before Nintendo cut it just to play around and whenever I was in a kart, the competition could keep up and even beat me a few times but whenever I got on a motorcycle, there was no competition and I got first every time.

Snaking did require alot of skill but it was a glitch that was unintentional and should never have been in the game to begin with.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

squish and a reset so. nintendos track record of patching is not great though and, with something like brawl and mario kart, they need a lot of post release support for the online side.

more exploits will be found im sure and nintendo need to kepp on top of it...otherwise the online community will just consist of people going mad with this exploit. pointless.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Did they ever patch that Maka Wuhu glitch in Kart 7?

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

@wiifan001 said:

Did they ever patch that Maka Wuhu glitch in Kart 7?

Yes! In April or May after its release, so... four or five months after release. Then again I don't remember when the Maka Wuhu glitch became that well known.