Madworld's Dark Secret Some Fans Are Afraid Will Get Out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Madworld is finally the bloody game filled with gore that people have been asking for.........
but people are overlooking one thing

It's a mini game collection

Oh that's right ladies and gentlemen, the game so many see as the savior of the Wii is a collection of waggleriffic mini games

Now before we get off on the wrong foot let me fill you in. I LOVE mini game collections on the Wii. If there's a great mini game collection on the Wii then I need/want it. Rayman Raving Rabbids, Wario Smooth Moves, Carnival Games, they're all terrific fun.

And let me just say how great I feel that so many users have finally joined me

Seeing all these Madworld threads has been terrific. Here's all these people who scoffed at mini games finally being excited for them!

Some don't want to believe Madword is a mini game collection and I have no idea why, it's not like they're a bad thing.
Please allow me to explain how Madworld is a mini game collection

First I'll direct you to Bob's quote he graciously offered

Platinum's producer, Atsushi Inaba was asked the following during an interview:

[QUOTE="Jolt"]

Can you give us some examples of the mini-games in Madworld? bob_newman

Blood Bath Challenges must be the most impressionable ones. 2 or 3 of them are located in each stage and are unlocked when the player earns enough points. Each of the mini-games are made along the concept of "be comical and be brutal". I think players will laugh when you see 'Man Darts' in the game. In that mini-game, you have to handle human enemies as darts. Atsushi Inaba

Notice how he says "the most impressionable ones"? That means that not only do these minigames exist, but other, less impressionable ones do as well.

So let's say the game is 10 levels, that gives us 21-30 mini games. That's one of the most robust collections on the Wii, I'm excited already!

Others have said it's hack and slash WITH mini games, no it's not
The hack and slash is what links the games together. They're the afterthought

Madworld is just like Mario Party.

Do people say that Mario Party is a GREAT board game with some mini games tossed in? Of course not
Mario Party is a collection of fun mini games that are tied together with a board game, something that allows the title to flow and gives it a certain pace.

Madworld does the same thing. Hack and slash is what links the mini games to each other to give it a certain pace.

Want further proof?
The movements in the hack and slash parts of the game do not always correspond to the action happening on the screen but they DO correspond to the motions you'll need to perform in the mini games. The hack and slash is warming you up for the mini games, such a great idea.

Want even further proof?
The game has split screen for users to play against each other IN the mini games, how great is that?
So don't worry about learning how to beat the AI in the game and then leave it on the shelf. Go call up a friend and you two can compete against each other. This shows just how much faith they have in this mini game collection, they just don't want a one and done, they want you to play these over and over because this mini game collection will be that good.

Want proof right from it's official site?

I just want to say how excited I am that so many people have finally embraced the mini game genre, this is terrific news

Who else is hyped that this mini game collection is not only on it's way but it's making so many new mini game players?

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
The mini games are actually the thing that makes me want this game. I'm not a big beat'em up or hack n' slash kind of person so without mini games I probably would have avoided this one. I've already pre-ordered my mini game collection!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

No, no, no. It is a hack and slash and these 'minigames' that the developer refers to are sort of scenarios in which the hack and slash game play must be applied. For example, the man darts, as seen in the trailers, is where you have to use a baseball bat knock NPCs onto a dart board.

To reiterate. Scenarios applying hack and slash gameplay, not real minigames.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I thought this was common knowledge, in that aspect its not that different than GTA games.
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
This actually makes me think the game might be good. I thought this was just a bloody beat 'em up.
dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
I still think it will be good. I like mini game collections :P
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts
and whats wrong with mini games? i love them. People think the concept of minigames is terrible however its just because the genre is infected by crappy games, minigames=variety. In a few years you'll see people starting to hate on third person shooters because they look next to be ruined (see 50 cent). Mini game or not this looks like a great game.
Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
I'm sorry...once you said Carnival Games was fun, I could'nt read any further.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

I'm sorry...once you said Carnival Games was fun, I could'nt read any further.Lonnie2Hottie

So you're not interested in Madworld then?

Too bad, hopefully you'll reconsider

yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
I'm sorry...once you said Carnival Games was fun, I could'nt read any further.Lonnie2Hottie
haha, ditto. i don't care how the game plays, the game looks really fun. cant wait to see more of it next month.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Maybe it's not a bad idea. It will probably make the game less monotonous.
Lonnie2Hottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lonnie2Hottie
Member since 2005 • 933 Posts
No, I am interested in Madworld. It's just that you said Carnival Games was fun so I wasn't sure the point you were trying to make would be credible. Anywho, Madworld looks great to me. Not sure I'll get it right away, but eventually I will.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

No, I am interested in Madworld. It's just that you said Carnival Games was fun so I wasn't sure the point you were trying to make would be credible. Anywho, Madworld looks great to me. Not sure I'll get it right away, but eventually I will.Lonnie2Hottie

Then you're a mini game fan

We're on the same side

Unite brother!

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I will only consider it as a minigame collection if once the game comes out is is confirmed that over 50% of the gameplay is played during minigames. Otherwise It is half mini-game collection at the most. The main focus of the game is killing your opponents in creative ways.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
I will say that Madworld does have its fair share of mini-game, but saying it is like Carnival Games and Mario Party is a little too far out there. Madworld will be awesome though.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jaysonguy

I will only consider it as a minigame collection if once the game comes out is is confirmed that over 50% of the gameplay is played during minigames. Otherwise It is half mini-game collection at the most. The main focus of the game is killing your opponents in creative ways.Head_of_games

So you think Mario Party is a board game with some mini games added to spice it up then?

You spend more time navigating the board then you do in the mini games in Mario Party

Also the multiplayer is dedicated only to the mini games

So like that's 75% of the game being mini games

Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
Mini-Game or not.....I'm buying it
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Head_of_games

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]I will only consider it as a minigame collection if once the game comes out is is confirmed that over 50% of the gameplay is played during minigames. Otherwise It is half mini-game collection at the most. The main focus of the game is killing your opponents in creative ways.Jaysonguy

So you think Mario Party is a board game with some mini games added to spice it up then?

You spend more time navigating the board then you do in the mini games in Mario Party

There's a big difference. In Mario Party you're just rolling the dice and moving around. In madworld you are slicing, dicing, etc. The majority of your time in levels will be spent running around tearing people limb from limb. The mini games will be in there and they will be fun, but they won't take up over half of your play time in single player. And of course they are used for multiplayer as splitscreen doesn't work so well on the Wii because of the graphical limitations. The point is that unless you have freinds over you will spend most of your time fighting, not playing baseball. At the most I'll say it's 50/50 unless when the game comes out i'm proved wrong.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Head_of_games"]I will only consider it as a minigame collection if once the game comes out is is confirmed that over 50% of the gameplay is played during minigames. Otherwise It is half mini-game collection at the most. The main focus of the game is killing your opponents in creative ways.Head_of_games

There's a big difference. In Mario Party you're just rolling the dice and moving around. In madworld you are slicing, dicing, etc. The majority of your time in levels will be spent running around tearing people limb from limb. The mini games will be in there and they will be fun, but they won't take up over half of your play time in single player. And of course they are used for multiplayer as splitscreen doesn't work so well on the Wii because of the graphical limitations. The point is that unless you have freinds over you will spend most of your time fighting, not playing baseball. At the most I'll say it's 50/50 unless when the game comes out i'm proved wrong.

Well since multiplayer is only mini games and that's half right there and then in the single player it's hack and slash to mini games I think we exceeded the 50% of game mark

I thank you for taking the time to reply in my thread

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
There's nothing wrong with minigames collections. Is the mini-games collections shovelware that bring the bad image for the wii.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Madworld attached to the word minigame collection would seem more like a good thing then bad. Typical hack n slash games get repetitive and boring and aren't really for me. When the minigame asks you to perform something a certain way to gain something then that makes the game seem more intriguing. If both the action and minigame parts coincide well and the pacing is spot on I may actually pick this title up. With all the topics about it, it must be good!! :D I never once looked at Madworld before now honestly. :?
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
BTW, the only real dark secret is that its 480i only.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

No, no, no. It is a hack and slash and these 'minigames' that the developer refers to are sort of scenarios in which the hack and slash game play must be applied. For example, the man darts, as seen in the trailers, is where you have to use a baseball bat knock NPCs onto a dart board.

Indeed; I'd say the title of a "gladiator-based beat 'em up" is much more suiting.Comparing it to a game like Mario Party is pretty bogus.

channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
This actually makes me think the game might be good. I thought this was just a bloody beat 'em up.Mike1978Smith
Yeah, I'm being dead serious when I say this. I think this thread has made me want to actually purchase the game now. I haven't really been following it but a bloody brutal mini game collection sounds awesome. A mindless hack n slash no matter how bloody sounds boring and repetitive. Thank you jaysonguy for making this thread. I am going to go preorder off Amazon now and save 10 bucks.
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
[QUOTE="Mike1978Smith"]This actually makes me think the game might be good. I thought this was just a bloody beat 'em up.channtheman1
Yeah, I'm being dead serious when I say this. I think this thread has made me want to actually purchase the game now. I haven't really been following it but a bloody brutal mini game collection sounds awesome. A mindless hack n slash no matter how bloody sounds boring and repetitive. Thank you jaysonguy for making this thread. I am going to go preorder off Amazon now and save 10 bucks.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I don't think I'll pre-order it, but I'm definitely looking at the game now, where as before I pretty much ignored it.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexSays
This is great news. People that would have ignored the game are now interested because of the mini games. This is one of Jason's more constructive threads. :P
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts
[QUOTE="19061980"]

VGobbsesser

Indeed; I'd say the title of a "gladiator-based beat 'em up" is much more suiting.Comparing it to a game like Mario Party is pretty bogus.

At least some people get it. The minigames are not the focus of the game any more than horse riding is in Zelda. The Hack and Slash gameplay is not only the focus, but also the base for the minigames. I'm also pretty sure that minigame collections don't have bosses that have nothing to do with the minigames. Madworld is clearly all about the hack and slash gameplay, anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be disappointed this March.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

You keep making this a point in the Wii forums.

We get it, the game is designed in segments that could be considered as mini-games. What's wrong with that? What did you expect? Some epic third person action adventure like Zelda?

I like the creativity of this game, i wouldn't go as far to call it a "mini-game collection" though.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlexSays

You keep making this a point in the Wii forums.

We get it, the game is designed in segments that could be considered as mini-games. What's wrong with that? What did you expect? Some epic third person action adventure like Zelda?

I like the creativity of this game, i wouldn't go as far to call it a "mini-game collection" though.

sonic_spark

Did you even read the original post?

He LIKES mini games. He WANTS this game.

He never said anything is wrong with it.

Just some people are confused in thinking the game is all about hack n slash, which would be awful.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

haha, ditto. i don't care how the game plays, the game looks really fun. cant wait to see more of it next month. yeahyeahbigN
Wait, doesn't how the game plays determine how fun it is?

Anyway, if this game really does have as many minigames as it seems, then I have to say that it's a pretty genius idea. We know that the typical collection of minigames will typically sell pretty well on the Wii, as long as it's fun (this is why Carnival Games has sold a lot). But we have yet to see this genre applied to such a violent premise on the Wii. We'll just have to see how well that works out for Capcom, though the advertising will definitely help regardless.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

[The Hack and Slash gameplay is not only the focus, but also the base for the minigames. I'm also pretty sure that minigame collections don't have bosses that have nothing to do with the minigames. Madworld is clearly all about the hack and slash gameplay, anyone who thinks otherwise is going to be disappointed this March.metroidfood

To add to this,if you take a game such as Mario Party,note how each true minigame utilizes a significantly different form of playing; one may be a little race,another may be the equivalent of bumper cars,and another may be a jump rope game.Mario Party is a true party game,and a true minigame collection.

However,in MadWorld,you are applying the same gameplay to a bunch of different scenarios.The use of the word "minigames" might as well be called "missions," in this case,similar to any other game true action game.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Head_of_games
[QUOTE="Head_of_games"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Well since multiplayer is only mini games and that's half right there and then in the single player it's hack and slash to mini games I think we exceeded the 50% of game mark

I thank you for taking the time to reply in my thread

I don't Multiplayer counts as half the game seeing it will be the same minigames from single player so that's like counting the minigames twice. I guess it really boils down to what you like to do more and therefore will spend your time doing in the game. I will spend most of my time running through the levels trying to kill stuff in a certain way so to me it's an action game. If you want to spend all of your time playing bloody baseball then to you it's a mini game collection. But there's certainly no justification comparing it to mario party, rayman, and especially carnival games.
ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

I think he's right...

O_O

But it doesn't make Madworld any less awesome, Yipee!

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

I don't Multiplayer counts as half the game seeing it will be the same minigames from single player so that's like counting the minigames twice.Head_of_games

So you don't count Goldeneye's multiplayer because you can play those levels in the single player campaign?

I guess it really boils down to what you like to do more and therefore will spend your time doing in the game. I will spend most of my time running through the levels trying to kill stuff in a certain way so to me it's an action game.Head_of_games

So you're saying that if you choose to stand in the corner and spin around in circles and jump and dance for most of the game, it's a music game now?

But there's certainly no justification comparing it to mario party, rayman, and especially carnival games.Head_of_games

Minigame:

A minigame (also spelled mini-game or mini game), sometimes called a subgame, is a short video game often contained within another video game. A minigame is always smaller or more simplistic than the game in which it is contained.

Minigame Collection:

Some games, such as the WarioWare series, some Cinemaware titles like Defender of the Crown, or David Whittaker's Lazy Jones, are made up of many minigames strung together into one video game.

I know it's hard for some people to accept that minigames can be a good thing, but to outright deny that a game is filled with them? Come on, let's be real here.

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

Even if it IS a minigame collection, I'm still getting the game.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Hes got a point -- and I don't care if it is a mini-game, game looks fun = I want, I don't care what genre you classify it as.
13wanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 13wanderer
Member since 2005 • 317 Posts
I don't think mini game collections are bad games. It's just that raving rabbids, carnival games, and mario party (ect.) just suck. Hooray for a good mini game collection. Yay Madworld. (boo carnival games and mario party).
Wiiownzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Wiiownzzz
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts
Either way I'm getting this game but I don't see this as a minigame game. I see this as your just beating up people and there are minigame/mission on the side. I don't see this game being mainly depended on minigames, I like minigames but through the videos I've seen this game in, its not a minigame type of game. That's just my opinion, It looks more like a hack and slash and I hope it is.
AdRock92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AdRock92
Member since 2007 • 1616 Posts
The game sounds fun, but I'm not sold yet. Do we know what any of the mini games are besides the Man darts one?
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bob_newman
Either way I'm getting this game but I don't see this as a minigame game. I see this as your just beating up people and there are minigame/mission on the side. I don't see this game being mainly depended on minigames, I like minigames but through the videos I've seen this game in, its not a minigame type of game. That's just my opinion, It looks more like a hack and slash and I hope it is.Wiiownzzz
God forbid there's variety in my Hack-and-Slash!
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AlexSays

I think he's right...

O_O

But it doesn't make Madworld any less awesome, Yipee!

ChildOfGaming7

Actually it makes it MORE awesome.

MadWorld without mini games sounds awful.

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts

[QUOTE="Lonnie2Hottie"]I'm sorry...once you said Carnival Games was fun, I could'nt read any further.Jaysonguy

I Love Mini-Game Collections, I hate Carnavial Games. It is a poor example of the genre.

In the strictest sense, MadWorld is not a "mini-game collection" and you seriously need to stop trolling and saying that it is.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 bob_newman
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Lonnie2Hottie"]I'm sorry...once you said Carnival Games was fun, I could'nt read any further.Master_Hermes

I Love Mini-Game Collections, I hate Carnavial Games. It is a poor example of the genre.

In the strictest sense, MadWorld is not a "mini-game collection" and you seriously need to stop trolling and saying that it is.

Sorry, but how is it trolling? He's happy that it has lots of minigames.
longhorn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 longhorn7
Member since 2007 • 4637 Posts
Why are you trying to pass off your opinion as fact? This game is an action/hack and slash game, and until the company that makes it and the video game industry as a whole changes their mind about that in the next couple of weeks, that is exactly what the game is. You move through levels filled with enemies in order to reach a boss whom you have to defeat to complete the level and progress in the game. Mini-games are thrown into the levels to accentuate the game play, and as ways to progress through certain areas of a level. This makes madworld as much of a mini-game collection as much as interactive button sequences make god of war and resident evil 4 a mini-game collection. No matter what your opinion is, you will most likely have fun with the game from what we have seen so far. But the game IS an action/hack and slash game since that is the genre it was put in by those who created it. That is the truth of things.
Avatar image for Quetzalcoatl_88
Quetzalcoatl_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Quetzalcoatl_88
Member since 2003 • 400 Posts
The way I see it, there's a difference between a minigame collection and a game that has minigames on it. Even then, there's never anything wrong with minigames in general (depends how well they are developed and integrated).
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts
[QUOTE="Master_Hermes"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

bob_newman

Sorry, but how is it trolling? He's happy that it has lots of minigames.

It's trolling because he mentions it in every single MadWorld related thread for one single reason: to annoy people.

Now, I'm not saying he doesn't believe what he's saying and I see where he's coming from but when a topic like "who's buying MadWorld?" is bombarded with "IT'S A MINI-GAME COLLECTION," it's very clearly trolling. This thread, however, I have no problem with. He spoke his mind and gave his opinion and he made some decent points. We just have a disagreement as to what constitutes an "Mini-Game Collection" as opposed to a game with mini-games in it.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

Jaysonguy
By your logic the Monkey Ball games are mini-game collections. Many games have multiplayer that consists solely of mini-games. That doesn't mean if there's a single player component of mini-games that the game is classified as a mini-game. Whether Madworld is primarily a mini-game collection remains to be seen. And, in all honesty, it really doesn't matter what type of game it is so long as it's fun.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Mini games!? Seriously. Ugh. Sorry but while I was taking a wait and see approach I'm not getting this if it's a mini game. Don't get me wrong though as I do enjoy them but I get them when I'm in the mood and it's clear what they are. All the talk IGN has been doing about this game they seemed to have failed to mention what this game really was. Perhaps I've missed it but that pisses me off to be honest. The game was to bloody for my taste on further viewing it and that had made me take a wait view but this just removes it from my list of games to watch and perhaps get all together. I'll take a look at something else now.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
This is the ultimate minigame collection on the wii!
teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
raymond raving rabbids is an awful game. yuk.