Is Zelda U Almost 10x the Size of Skyrim?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

DISCLAIMER: This is merely a post inferring the size of Zelda U.

Recently, Aonuma stated Zelda U's game world will be as big as the Wii U can handle, continuing a trend of comments that suggest the new entry in the series is going to be absolutely massive. A few months back, he stated that the game world would be roughly the size of Kyoto, which spans about 300 sq. miles.

At first, I shrugged, thinking 300 sq. miles wasn't all that large. But that was before I curiously looked into the size of Skyrim, a game most people will agree is pretty massive.

Skyrim's game world spans about 37 sq. miles, which is pedestrian in comparison to 300. So, the question begs to be asked: Is Zelda U *really* going to be almost 10x larger than one of the largest game worlds ever?

Of course, we have to take this with a grain of salt until something specific is stated. But with that being said (worries of a barren game world, aside), Zelda U's shaping up to be one of the most massive video games ever created. Thoughts?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

No it's not going to be. It'll be fairly large from the map they shown though.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It's going to be huge, but 10x bigger than Skyrim? I doubt it.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Seeing as they haven't even proven an ability to make a small world feel organic and full of life, I sincerely hope it's not that big. That is, unless they have magically learned how to add stuff that isn't total crap filler.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Maybe in terms of physical size it could be that big... but do we want it to be that big? If that just means that it'll take my horse longer to ride from point A to point B and there's nothing meaningful in between, then I say "no thank you".

I want an open world and the feeling of freedom, but I hope it's full of meaningful stuff to do and that it feels alive.

I am optimistic that Nintendo will find a happy medium in there where the world is huge and there some fun stuff to do. They've been knocking the ball out of the park lately with their games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I hope it's a lot smaller than Skyrim, really. Skyrim was too big.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

The size isn't as important as its density

Skyward Sword is bigger than Windwaker but there was very little to do in SS when the vast, vast majority of islands had nothing but patch grasses and one chest. Batman Arkham Origins was twice as big as Arkham City but was not nearly as dense, felt empty at times. Borderlands 1 is terrible offender of this, that world was WAY too big for its own good, while Borderlands 2 did a much better job.

I don't care if Zelda U is 1/3 of the size as Windwaker, as long as it's kept up to scale of dynamic things available to do in the world: sidequests, dungeons and mini dungeons, mini games, collectables, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

It's going to be huge, but 10x bigger than Skyrim? I doubt it.

Yeah, I think CD projekt red said witcher 3 is like, 30% bigger than skyrim or something, so 10x would be insane and not to mention detrimental.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@ttualumni13 said:

Seeing as they haven't even proven an ability to make a small world feel organic and full of life, I sincerely hope it's not that big. That is, unless they have magically learned how to add stuff that isn't total crap filler.

This, 100 times this

No one at Nintendo knows how to make a world that feels alive, a whole world like that?

No way in Hell, everyone had better pray it's a small world

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

If it's really going to be 300 square miles, I bet you'll only be able to access a small percentage of that. Skyward Sword was HUGE! All that land under those clouds, but the problem is you couldn't access almost any of it. :P

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

It looked like 10x's less detailed and lifeless than Skyrim.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@ttualumni13 said:

Pretty much. xD

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@ttualumni13 said:

This, 100 times this

No one at Nintendo knows how to make a world that feels alive, a whole world like that?

You haven't played Majora's Mask have you?

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

who knows, skyrim is relatively small, great but small

just cause 2 was 10x bigger and that world didnt feel too vacant.

daggerfall is fucking like 1000x bigger so who knows

if they do it right who cares. i never played a bad zelda game (that was made by nintendo)

oh, and skyrim is 14 square miles not 30.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@ttualumni13 said:

This, 100 times this

To be fair, Majora's Mask was a pretty small game world. I, too, question Nintendo's -- and I don't want to say ability, so I'll say -- commitment to making a game world even remotely that big with tons of stuff to do. Honestly, I think it's impossible to fill up even 40 sq. miles with captivating content, and I don't think they should. What I think they should do is not so much make a world that big feel alive in those sprawling masses (they definitely *should* make it more alive than past entries), but they should give the world character.

Every nook and cranny of that world should feel diverse and unimaginable in a way that makes gliding across it feel like a new, exciting experience. Even though we know almost nothing about the game, I want to point to No Man's Sky to compliment this. The game looks pretty empty and barren with not a lot of things to do, but it's the way the worlds are presented to us that make them intriguing. Zelda U can learn from that.

An addendum to this post -- I hope somebody at Nintendo knows there absolutely *has* to be fast travel in a game even remotely the size they're claiming Zelda U is. And this is a company who didn't know a third person shooter needed to have a reticle.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

All I want is lots and lots of secrets and hidden gems spread across the world

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

It's the size of Japan or Kyoto? I forgot which. It is 10 times (or more) bigger then Skyrim.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Can't wait to see more of this game

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By simuseb2

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@ttualumni13 said:

This, 100 times this

lutely *has* to be fast travel in a game even remotely the size they're claiming Zelda U is. And this is a company who didn't know a third person shooter needed to have a reticle.

Don't worry about that, of course there will be fast travel of some description. I just hope it isn't handled like Oblivion's, where you can just open your map and click where you want to go. Ocarina of Time had those wrap songs. Both Windwaker and Twilight Princess had a wrap system. Not sure about Majoras Mask. In Skyward Sword though fast travel would have been unnecessary. Any statue on the surface would have allowed you to enter the sky, and the sky itself was quite tiny.

Honestly, since the world is going to be much larger than previous Zelda games, I hope they use this as an opportunity to introduce a more natural system of fast travel like Morrowind had. Instead of clicking to a point on the map where you wanted to go as in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I would like to see a transportation system.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TTUalumni13

@simuseb2: I would second this. Morrowind did travel perfectly.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

His actual words in the interview were "I'm using Kyoto as my base."

He didn't say "It's the size of Kyoto". I'm guessing it's maybe an expression that just means "it's damn huge" or something like that. 10x Skyrim just wouldn't work in my opinion. It needs to be an interesting world and an interesting narrative. 10x Skyrim would mean you end up just fast-travelling constantly. I don't like doing that.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 garywood69

@ttualumni13 said:

@simuseb2: I would second this. Morrowind did travel perfectly.

I only played about hour in Morrowind. Can you explain the fast travel for us layman?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

@garywood69: i can chime in here.

basically the player couldnt just travel from one end of the map to the other by clicking on an icon. there were a few different modes of transport: silt strider, boat and portal from a mages guild.

not every method led to everywhere so if the player wanted to get somewhere fast then they had to have a little head scratch about it.

e.g. i may have to get a stilt strider from town a to town b, then a boat from town b to town C then go on foot from town C to my destination.

i prefer this model myself as it does increase immersion in a game such as morrowind imho.

i stopped using fast travel completely in skyrim after a while (a mod called frostfall had a hand in that mind). skyrim was just such a pleasure to explore that i went everywhere on foot and only used the carts when needed.

the only thing it lacked (and its something nintendo will need to be aware of) is random stuff happening in the world. it was lovely to explore but it would have been nice if there was more variety in random stuff.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TTUalumni13

@garywood69: Oman pretty much summed it up Before I could haha. There were methods of public transport to get you from region to region, makes guild services, and hidden indexes to find that allowed you to transport between the remote ancient forts that gave you, greater access to the more isolated regions.

Was an awesome system and really lent to the immersion and sense of scale. Of course you could always just not use the fast travel in Skyrim so I don't mind it being included.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I hope not, because Twilight Princess was probably only 20% of Skyrim and still felt like it was shallow....

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By simuseb2

@osan0 said:

@garywood69:

i prefer this model myself as it does increase immersion in a game such as morrowind imho.

It also encourages the player to actually think about what they were doing. My first play through of oblivion was ruined by both fast travel and that red cursor which shows you exactly where to go. The game didn't require any thought. Just fast travel to the closest city to the dungeon you need to go, and then head straight in that direction and follow the arrow. It's brainless and, as you say, breaks both scale and immersion.

Anyway, as my final word in the discussion: the size of the world is irrelevant. Theoretically the world could be bigger than Skyrim, but that doesn't say anything about how much content it us the complexity of it's environment. In truth, Skyrim's world isn't really that big. It just feels big due to a combination of it's landscape (all those mountains :P) and sheer detail that goes into its world.

AlCapwnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AlCapwnUK
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

I would be so upset if it was that big. Skyrim is impenetrably big enough as it is

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

I hope it's not that big because that would harm the game. I don't Nintendo confuse size with quality like US and EU studios tend to.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Last I saw, it was around the twice the size of GTA5 without the water travel spots. So if you consider GTA5 big, then you got twice that. But some people have been taking random estimates based on landmarks and pictures and travel length of time and distance and figured out how long it would take to travel Hyrule by horse and it was was very long.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 garywood69
@bunchanumbers said:

Last I saw, it was around the twice the size of GTA5 without the water travel spots. So if you consider GTA5 big, then you got twice that. But some people have been taking random estimates based on landmarks and pictures and travel length of time and distance and figured out how long it would take to travel Hyrule by horse and it was was very long.

Last time you saw? Source?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

The picture was taken from the video. He points out how far he traveled and how long it took them to get from point A to point B. People extrapolated that number and distance and made that picture. Actual time and distance will vary because of terrain etc. Either way the game itself is massive. The time on foot would be much longer to travel across the map.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

No way its going to be that big. Nintendo hasn't even tried a Skyrim size open world, let alone one thats 10x the size. Its just foolish to think that Nintendo would even think about doing something like that..