Is the Wii U going to run out of steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Shattered-dream
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 0

#1 Shattered-dream
Member since 2012 • 729 Posts

With a lack of games, and PS4 on the arisen is Wii U going to be next DreamCast? Or could it beat Xbox and PS4 in sales like Nintendo did last gen around?

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

No, the Wii U will come out with some Mario games then it will sell like hot cakes. 

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

The Wii U hasnt even gotten any steam yet to lose lol. Starting March 18th till the end of the year thats when the Wii U gets rolling. As for the PS4...I watched that whole damn video and all I see is another expensive copying piece of junk. Destiny was the best thing I saw not it being on the PS4 just seeing it in general. Watch Dogs being on Wii U is great. Killzone Shadow Fall or whatever...looks the same as a PS3 game and its just a generic bland FPS. We should go the entire 8th gen without ANY FPS games they have all blended together and gotten pathetic. Destiny and Halo 5 and Halo 6 are the only exceptions. Point is Wii U will stand its ground and win the 8th Gen. People have counted out Nintendo since the Gamecube days and look...they are still here. Nintendo will outlast EVERYONE never bet against Nintendo unless you want to lose a bet lol.

Mugzippit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Mugzippit
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

I agree with slipknot. the Wii U will be fine once it gets out the next generation of all their flagship games. At the moment they only have Super Mario Bro's U but once they bring out the next in the mario 64 series, the Wii U's popularity should rise with it.While the PS4 did have a very strong unveiling yesterday it left lots of unanswered questions (the estimated selling price and if it has a monthly subscription being the biggest in my opinion) but i guess they still have E3 to give details. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tries to counter the PS4 with a price cut to the WiiU seeing as with the current economic situation, people would go for the cheaper option with similar, if graphically inferiour i'll admit, experiences.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I don't think anyone can answer that question but I will say that Nintendo usually don't drop support for their (major) platforms.

The might have dropped the Virtual Boy but that was just a "filler" system released with the purpose of distracting gamers' attention from the 32-bit CD systems and to shorten the wait for the "Ultra 64".

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

I agree with slipknot. the Wii U will be fine once it gets out the next generation of all their flagship games. At the moment they only have Super Mario Bro's U but once they bring out the next in the mario 64 series, the Wii U's popularity should rise with it.While the PS4 did have a very strong unveiling yesterday it left lots of unanswered questions (the estimated selling price and if it has a monthly subscription being the biggest in my opinion) but i guess they still have E3 to give details. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tries to counter the PS4 with a price cut to the WiiU seeing as with the current economic situation, people would go for the cheaper option with similar, if graphically inferiour i'll admit, experiences.Mugzippit

Wii U is already vastly cheaper then the PS4 will be. If the PS4 is less then $599.99 then I freaking retire from gaming. Thats how certain I am Sony will pull a PS3 launch again. As for a Wii U price drop that wont happen for 3-4 years into the Wii U's life. Took 3 years for the Wii to get one. Reggie said in an interview people waiting for a price drop will be waiting quite along time. More like more Wii U bundles will come out. Windwaker one or Mario Kart U one.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
The Wii U will be fine, if history is anything to go by, people will go for the cheaper option in the long run and I can see the Wii U being practically free by the time the PS4 and NextBox comes out.
Mika_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mika_T
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

The Wii U will be fine, if history is anything to go by, people will go for the cheaper option in the long run and I can see the Wii U being practically free by the time the PS4 and NextBox comes out. OhJayDubya

Totally agree, not many people will be compelled to pay twice as much

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
Wii U will lose steam, eventually. All consoles do, but as long as Nintendo keeps attracting publishers and pouring their own original content, it is going to do fine. N64 and GC tried so hard to compete in a "standard" race. Now, since the Wii and thanks to it, we have a whole different war. We are in for innovation and pure processing power is not going to do the math anymore. PSP, Vita and PS3 itself demonstrated this. Every single company will need to bring innovation to the table. There will be always room for tons of FPSs as well as for Mario after Mario, but the market will become more and more demanding of real fresh experiences alongside the usual productions. So, in short, I don't think this will be "the last" console we see from Nintendo at all, it will pick its pace, as soon as the other consoles come around, it may be an even richer offer from the industry itself. Regards.
ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

at this point it is too early to tell. The 3ds looked like a failure and yet now it is selling great. Nintendo dropped the ball on the wii u by making it too confusining to the general masses and not enough advertising. I havent seen an advertisment since the thing launched and no one is even talking about it, almost as it doesn't even exist! A slow ui is not helping them out either, but I think after orbis and durango launch and we see what they have to offer I think nintendo will be in a better shape. Even if this turns out to be another gamecube (in terms of user base) I'll be happy as long as they bring some new ip's and games. I think in the end it won't matter if the other consoles are more powerful, nintendo is gonna be in a category in itself which is for the younger players like how the wii was. At this point nintendo is the only thing that is stopping nintendo. I was surprised by the sony conference because sony was putting in features in ps4 that is really seem innovative. I really hope nintendo will be able to put those on the wiiu.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Wii U never had much steam in the first place. Had it launched with a major first party game(Wii had Twilight Princess for that), it would be doing better. Nintendo will have something at E3 to help the Wii U regain its lost strength and more. Nothing like a 3D Mario game to get the ball rolling.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
I See what you did there. Nintendo + Steam eh EH? Wait, not what you meant? >.> *Whistles, walks out the room*
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

IF they bring the games I will support them.  I am sure that goes for all of us here.  With their recent announcements I will almost certainly buy the WiiU.  E3 will determine (with Smash, Mario, and more shown) if the WiiU is a smash hit for me or not.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Looks that way now. We'll see what happens with Mario game comes out.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

The Wii U will be fine, if history is anything to go by, people will go for the cheaper option in the long run and I can see the Wii U being practically free by the time the PS4 and NextBox comes out. OhJayDubya

The cheaper option would be to go for a PS3/Xb360 bundle. At least they have a back catalog.

All that really leaves as the main selling point for Wii U is Mario on a touch screen.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

The Wii U hasnt even gotten any steam yet to lose lol.

Master_Of_Fools

You beat me to it. Nintendo better have some fine-looking games at E3 this year.

Suikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Suikojin
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

They just need some good games to come out. They had a good starting lineup in my opinion but they need stronger exclusives.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
It needs to have steam in the first place in order to lose it.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#19 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I think it will be fine when the big games start coming out. However, due to marketing and branding issues, I am pretty sure it will never reach the Wii's level of "steam".

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

No, Steam is only on PC right now.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
In short, yes the Wii U will run out of steam one day. But that is a much more complicated situation and very little of that has to do with MS/Sony's new machines. The Cube didn't run out of steam until probably 2005 or 2006 depending on how much you like its twilight releases, so its really no all that likely that the Wii U 'runs out of steam' anytime soon even if third party support is so-so and it sells poorly.
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="OhJayDubya"]The Wii U will be fine, if history is anything to go by, people will go for the cheaper option in the long run and I can see the Wii U being practically free by the time the PS4 and NextBox comes out. Audacitron

The cheaper option would be to go for a PS3/Xb360 bundle. At least they have a back catalog.

All that really leaves as the main selling point for Wii U is Mario on a touch screen.

Similar issues faced other new consoles this year. Once 360/PS3 are out of the picture in 2014 the Wii U could likely receive (if marketed right and with the right new releases) a boost due to Nintendo being able to price it at $199-$249 whereas MS/Sony will be stuck above $399 most likely.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
Wii U is already vastly cheaper then the PS4 will be. If the PS4 is less then $599.99 then I freaking retire from gaming. Thats how certain I am Sony will pull a PS3 launch again.Master_Of_Fools
I severely doubt Sony is again going to make the mistake of pricing the PS4 at $600 like they did the PS3. Not in this economy. That price was a large part of the reason they struggled this gen, and this was back when the PS3 launched in an economy that was in better shape than it is today. I'm predicting $350-500, $550 at most, and that will more than likely be the premium model. But $600 would be suicide and to believe that will be their launch price is, quite frankly, delusional.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts
Yes. The system is underpowered, the techn in the tablet controller (resistive touchscreen) is very outdated, and the third party offerings will once again be few and far between. It's beginning to sound like the GameCube.
Empty_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Empty_World
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
No. Nintendo has games you can only get on a Nintendo console and they are popular games.
Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Shattered-dream

Yes. The system is underpowered, the techn in the tablet controller (resistive touchscreen) is very outdated, and the third party offerings will once again be few and far between. It's beginning to sound like the GameCube.ChiefFreeman

I think Xbox will win I talked to a Microsoft rep and he told me what they are doing!

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bonesawisready5
[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]Wii U is already vastly cheaper then the PS4 will be. If the PS4 is less then $599.99 then I freaking retire from gaming. Thats how certain I am Sony will pull a PS3 launch again.MirkoS77
I severely doubt Sony is again going to make the mistake of pricing the PS4 at $600 like they did the PS3. Not in this economy. That price was a large part of the reason they struggled this gen, and this was back when the PS3 launched in an economy that was in better shape than it is today. I'm predicting $350-500, $550 at most, and that will more than likely be the premium model. But $600 would be suicide and to believe that will be their launch price is, quite frankly, delusional.

Those 16 separate sticks of 512MB DDR5 memory to make up that large 8GB pool aren't going to be cheap, plus the console is going to be huge. I'd say lowest is $399, probably $499 with the controller adding some cost. Even if it is $399, Nintendo could easily drop Wii U to $249 and it'd be in the same situation the Wii was where it was significantly cheaper
fluffy_kins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 fluffy_kins
Member since 2006 • 2553 Posts

I'm sure it will be fine once they get their AAA titles out there, but until then it is going to struggle. Especially when the PS4 and Nextbox come into play. Nintendo really needed this year to establish the Wii U while it didn't have direct competition, and they totally failed. They should have planned to launch with a Zelda or Mario 64/Galaxy-esque game.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

The Wii U hasn't even picked up steam yet. It's just left the station a few months ago. When Zelda HD, Metroid Dread, Star Fox: Slippy Goes to Hell, Super Mario Universe and F-Zero U Will Bleed Out Your Eyes comes out, the train will lift off the tracks with hydro power and blast off to Valhalla.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Should be ok as long as WiiU gets steady stream of games...Whom ever Nintendo is partnering up with, I just hope they don't just end up making "Japan only" titles..cause that will seriously piss me off. As long as they release to NoE..I'll be happy..doesn't matter if they don't release it to NoA :P

*Im kidding* :P

Shattered-dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shattered-dream

The Wii U hasn't even picked up steam yet. It's just left the station a few months ago. When Zelda HD, Metroid Dread, Star Fox: Slippy Goes to Hell, Super Mario Universe and F-Zero U Will Bleed Out Your Eyes comes out, the train will lift off the tracks with hydro power and blast off to Valhalla.FFCYAN

Good answers:) , but the graphics are still last generation.

OceansBloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OceansBloom
Member since 2011 • 91 Posts
Companies tend to do best when they have something to prove. Nintendo has found themselves in this position. I'd bet they're going to go all out at E3.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="FFCYAN"]The Wii U hasn't even picked up steam yet. It's just left the station a few months ago. When Zelda HD, Metroid Dread, Star Fox: Slippy Goes to Hell, Super Mario Universe and F-Zero U Will Bleed Out Your Eyes comes out, the train will lift off the tracks with hydro power and blast off to Valhalla.Shattered-dream

Good answers:) , but the graphics are still last generation.

No they're not. The Wii U is a next gen console, and that means it's graphics must be next gen. Generations have nothing to do with power.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

they just need to release more games for non gamers.....they need to hype up wiifit U....maybe announce wii sports 3 at E3....or a new casual game or peripheral..

as nintendo gamers we will get our awesome ninty games and some 3rd party goodies.....but nintendo needs to realize that non gamers are what helped make the wii as big as it was...

ps3/360 has most of the gamer nerds that live and breathe gamming....ninty has to rely on adult nostalgia gamers,ninty fanboys and a bit of the kid population....but they need more.... they need thecasual audience as well..

for the "core" gamers...they should make zelda more serious....core gamers love zelda franchise....make it tailored towards them.

for ninty gamers..they need to release some online games like smash bros and mario kart already.... 

Blaz3_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Blaz3_fox
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

Joke thread right? The Wii U has JUST released, give it at least a slight chance. Sure it's sales have slowed but Nintendo is on the case and games are on their way.

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
I wouldn't count the WiiU out just like I wouldn't call the Vita out (even though I don't have a Vita). All it takes is a few games to get the ball rolling. Maybe throw in a healthy dose of advertising to the mix. The way I see it, if they announce more Smash info at e3 and release it by Holiday 2013 the U will be in good shape. A Mario Kart and the new 3d Mario would also be a blessing this holiday. There is just way too much potential here for the system to just die (Miiverse, Virutal console, WiiU Ware, Chat functionality, NFC). Wii are just getting started. March will be killer.....Lego City, Monster Hunter, Need for Speed, Walking Dead. Only time will tell who's right.
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

I remember the Wii U sold 2.5-3 million first month or two but in January, sales plummeted to within 49-59 K. Once they reveal new Mario Kart, Mario 3D game, new Legend of Zelda, Yoshi's Island, possibly new Donkey Kong, etc. the Wii U will fly off the shelves.