Is the 3DS XL good for playing DS games as well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darktx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darktx2005
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

So I finally think I'm going to make the leap and pick up a 3DS. I still haven't touched the DS RPG library and there are several 3DS games I'd love to play as well. I'm thinking the 3DS XL would be a good choice since I could play both DS/3DS games, but my only concern is how DS games look on the 3DS XL. Do I need to pony up for two devices or should the 3DS XL be good enough?

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

So I finally think I'm going to make the leap and pick up a 3DS. I still haven't touched the DS RPG library and there are several 3DS games I'd love to play as well. I'm thinking the 3DS XL would be a good choice since I could play both DS/3DS games, but my only concern is how DS games look on the 3DS XL. Do I need to pony up for two devices or should the 3DS XL be good enough?

darktx2005

As long as you hold "select" when the game starts it will look normal.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#3 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

As mentioned above, they are upscaled to fit the 3DS's screen unless you hold select to run them in native resolution. Personally, 3DS XL is my favorite way to play DS games as I feel like the tradeoff between having the screen be way bigger and blurriness is completely worth it. It nice too because if you are picky about native resolution, if you run it in native mode on an XL, it is about the same size it would be on a DS Lite. On a regular 3DS it was kind of comically small.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts

On some games it isn't as bad, it's typically the sprite based games that tend to get pretty blurry.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Picked up Pokemon Black 2 a couple days ago, been playin on my 3dsxl. I did the native resolution, hated the small screens. Id just play on my DS Lite if I wanted that size.  Little blurry when scretched but its completely fine IMO. 

darktx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darktx2005
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

So I bit yesterday and picked up the blue/black 3DS XL and a few 3DS and DS games. I'm excited with my choice. I tried out a couple DS games and it looks fine to me (of course I don't have anything to compare to) and I've already sunk several hours into Chrono Trigger. So many great RPG's for me to experience on this device!

Soilworkcob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Soilworkcob
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

So I bit yesterday and picked up the blue/black 3DS XL and a few 3DS and DS games. I'm excited with my choice. I tried out a couple DS games and it looks fine to me (of course I don't have anything to compare to) and I've already sunk several hours into Chrono Trigger. So many great RPG's for me to experience on this device!

darktx2005

I have a XL and I've never found any reason to need to compare because I am completely satisified with what the 3ds XL presents.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
In my opinion, people take the upscaling thing way too seriously. Every DS game looks fine to me without 1:1 mode. On the original 3DS, anyway.