Is it time for a Wii Remote remodel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

The current Wii Remote and Nunchuck aren't cutting it anymore. How about one with a rechargeable battery that uses the same cable as the U Pro controllers? Heck, with the extended battery lives those things could have, why not make the Nunchuck wireless too?

Perhaps they could be more ergonomic, or have button layouts closer to two halves of the GamePad.

I bought Galaxy 2 via the eShop and I have to say that my old Wiimotes aren't cutting it anymore.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

So is this entire thread based on your experience with Galaxy 2?

I wouldn't mind an update to the wiimotes honestly

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

With all the cost cutting measures they've been doing lately due to the Wii U's weak sales (scrapping Club Nintendo, Amiibos, New 3DS has no AC adapter), I don't see Nintendo doing putting money into an R&D project to redesign the last gen controller.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

it is kinda funny though. People are screaming for the same gamecube controller but the wiimote needs updating. I really think the gamecube controller should be updated. 2 Z buttons and clickable analogs along with a full stick instead of a nub. thedude mentioned updating the wiimote in a post before and I have to say in a way he is right. Its just not feasible. Upgrade the speaker and a rechargeable battery would be nice.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 elheber

One thing that never made sense to me is why the Wiimote got Wii Motion Plus, but the Nunchuck never did.

@SolidTy You just aren't thinking fourth-dimensionally. New Wii Remotes means new things for people to buy. If Wii U games are going on the eShop at discount prices, demand for Wii Remotes would go up. This came up because my old white Wii Remotes don't match my black Wii U so I'm considering buying a couple new black ones.

@bunchanumbers Dang straight! I was playing around in Illustrator at work and drew up how, if an Analog is placed where the D-Pad is on the Wiimote and the D-Pad (or 4 face buttons) is placed southwest of it, then holding it would be like holding the right half of a normal controller. The beauty is that if you hold it sideways, NES style, the analog and d-pad flip positions so your left hand is essentially holding the left hand of a normal controller (with the d-pad southeast of the analog stick).

Or perhaps a redesign of the Wii U Pro controller that can be pulled apart into two halves: the right with all the functionality of the nunchuck, and the left with all the functionality of the Wiimote.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

The nuances of Wii Motion Plus control are beyond those of modern simple-minded analog control gamers.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidTy
@SolidTy said:

With all the cost cutting measures they've been doing lately due to the Wii U's weak sales (scrapping Club Nintendo, Amiibos, New 3DS has no AC adapter), I don't see Nintendo doing putting money into an R&D project to redesign the last gen controller.

@elheber said:

@SolidTy You just aren't thinking fourth-dimensionally. New Wii Remotes means new things for people to buy. If Wii U games are going on the eShop at discount prices, demand for Wii Remotes would go up. This came up because my old white Wii Remotes don't match my black Wii U so I'm considering buying a couple new black ones.

I didn't say that I was against the idea, I simply said I don't think Nintendo will do it and listed the reasons why.

Then there is the problem of supporting the new controller with new games...I don't see the software changing even if they took the time to spend money making new controllers because the games were designed around the old Wiimotes.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@SolidTy said:

@elheber said:

I didn't say that I was against the idea, I simply said I don't think Nintendo will do it and listed the reasons why.

Then there is the problem of supporting the new controller with new games...I don't see the software changing even if they took the time to spend money making new controllers because the games were designed around the old Wiimotes.

Yeah, even the Gampad is not getting enough specialized treatment. A Wiimote redesign is not even sensible at this point.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 elheber

If the redesign is only functional, @SolidTy, like adding rechargeable batteries and a wireless nunchuck, then no additions have to be made to games. 60hr battery life? Give me that on the wiimotes.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#10 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Nintendo seems to be back on the rise again with big game releases, certainly now in a better spot than Sony (MS is an exception because of their significant liquid assets and Sony-surpassing virtual reality head-ware).

I was never a fan of the Wiimotes, nor have I really ever been a fan of any Nintendo controller before or after the SNES. They're all very different, seemingly for the sake of being different.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy

@elheber said:

If the redesign is only functional, @SolidTy, like adding rechargeable batteries and a wireless nunchuck, then no additions have to be made to games. 60hr battery life? Give me that on the wiimotes.

Well, I would take that too...I just fear Nintendo won't invest the resources. They seem to be shying away right now on anything they don't deem super profitable.