Is a DSi XL the most worthwhile option for my DS backlog?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

These titles limits are killing me, so here's what I'm considering.

I have a huge DS backlog I want to finish and I'm not a big fan of using my 3DS to finish it because I hate playing games with borders. I really do.

I'm not sure if the 3DS XL is like this, but I heard that it does DS games better than the normal 3DS. The only thing is, I don't want to spend over $100 on another handheld system right now, used or new. The DSi XL is relatively cheap, so I wanted to know your guys' experience with it and how it stretches out the resolution of the DS games it run. I was using my DS Lite today and its smaller screen size was quite a shock after using my PSPgo, Vita, and 3DS for so long.

What's an appropriate price for the DSi XL and where would you guys recommend looking if you recommend it?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I haven't played the XL version of any system. But here is a video comparing the DSi XL and the 3DS XL using Mario Kart on the DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79UUHCg2v_s

Judging from the video, there is a black strip still on the 3DS XL. But given the screen size, it might not be that noticeable. Also, I think the 3DS XL is supposed to play DS games at their native resolution without stretching it to fit the screen.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

The DS-XL screen stretch is a myth.

okay, sure not really, ---one can notice pixels when looking only for pixels,

but not once have I felt that it took me out of the game.

I'd keep an eye on ebay for something used. I bet $100 is a higher range for used, that will cover shipping and a few toss-in games. *Just checked*---and there are systems-only floating around 60-70.

I'm thinking about getting another one, before they leave the market...I'd even pay 160-new again just to have a fresh one for DS games, the 3DS doesn't cut it in DS- replay comparison.