Getting a 3DS finally, what games should I get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CasualGamer36x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CasualGamer36x
Member since 2012 • 65 Posts

Yeah, I know I'm a little late to the party but better late than never right?

Anyways, Pokemon X/Y is a must obviously. But other than that, what would you recommend. I'm reeally into RPGs so I'm considering Fire Emblem or Bravely Default. I've heard good things about Monster Hunter too though... Not really into Mario Kart and stuff so don't bother with that. Not very into platformers either. Really disappointed Ninokuni isn't on the 3DS...

So what would you recommend? Make a top 5 or something if you can. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You like RPGS? Here's five you should play!

1. Fire emblem Awakening; awesome turn based strategy mixed with RPG elements, and tons of replayability since you can have units marry each other and have kids that have the parents' qualities. Plus it's been honed to perfection for the handheld format; you can take five minutes and take on a challenge map using an in game item or take on one of the longer story missions. It's a great game even though the story is kinda meh.

2. Shin Megami Tensei IV: It's like a mix between old school RPGs and Pokemon. You can control up to four units at a time (your player character and three monsters) and exploit enemy weaknesses to gain extra turns. Plus, collecting and fusing demons is a ton of fun, as is customizing your party and player character. The game is incredibly flexible, allowing for several different play styles and it has New Game+ which is always a nice bonus. The story starts out strong but kind of peters off near the end; it's still a great game, though, even though it can feel aimless at times and tough to figure out what to do.

3. tales of the abyss- The story starts off slow but it picks up after five or so hours. the game has a great cast of characters and the battle system is a lot of fun; rather than standard turn based battle, it's fought almost like a fighting game. You control one character with two other AIs and put in different button combos to pull off different moves. This also has new Game +. Just know that the main character is an insufferable twat for the first part of the game

4. Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl- I have yet to beat it but I'm 25 hours into the story mode and it's great. You explore a 30 floor labyrinth, mapping it out as you go and fighting monsters. It's technically old fashioned but a lot of annoyances of the genre have been removed so that the game feels really fresh and rarely annoying.

5. Bravely Default- I'm only a few hours into this, as it only just came out where I live, but it's great so far. Once you get a few jobs under your belt, the battle system really opens up. So far it seems basically like a remake of Final Fantasy V with an updated/ unique battle system but that's a good thing, because the job system was awesome in FFV.

Hope this helps.

CasualGamer36x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CasualGamer36x

@turtlethetaffer: Thanks for all your suggestions! Is your list in order of best to worst or just random? Also, why is it so dead in here? Only 1 reply so far...

Btw, congratulations on 15k posts!

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@CasualGamer36x: Haha thanks!

More just the "top five." I basically put them in my personal fav order, but I'm not really trying to sway one way or the other :P Just that those are five games that are great picks for any RPG fan. Keep in mind that I have not finished either Etrian Odyssey or Bravely Default, but I'm a good chunk into each game, so I have a good idea of what they're like.

Simply put, I have my preferences in that list, but none of them are "bad." They are all pretty awesome in their own ways.

Are you looking for one game to buy for now? If you give me some more RPG sub genre preferences I can help if you want.

For instance, Fire Emblem is turn based strategy with RPG elements such as leveling up and changing classes. Mean while, Shin Megami Tensei IV is an old school dungeon crawler- esque RPG with the monster collecting aspect of Pokemon and the monster fusion aspect of Dragon Quest Monsters. So if you like more traditional turn based games, SMTIV may be a better choice.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

get fire emblem.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

These are the Top 5 games I can recommend to you:

5. Star Fox 64 3D
4. Mario Kart 7
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
1. Fire Emblem: Awakening

CasualGamer36x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CasualGamer36x

Alright, thanks for all your suggestions everyone! Appreciate it! Apparently Fire Emblem is a must then.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yes Fire Emblem is a must, best game on the 3ds imo.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

All the RPGs I enjoyed and beaten on the 3DS

Fire Emblem Awaking - *40-50 hours

Rune Factory 4- *100 hours+

Etrian Odyssey Untold 60+ hours

Ocarina of Time 3D * 30-40 Hours

A Link Between Worlds * 20 hours long.

Rune Factory took me the longest to complete, I didn't even knew I spend that long on it. tbh.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
  • Pokemon X/Y
  • Brain Age: Concentration Training
helwa1988

Forum Posts