Games that COULD have been on the Wii?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Any kinds of games really,sequels,ports,remakes,or other.

I so wanted them to make a Viewtiful Joe game for it after the DS one,they could've made it awesome!

Geist 2,F-ZERO,Starfox,Wario World 2,enhanced DBZ Budokai 3(or DB Heroes),a DBZ exclusive(OTHER than DB Revenge of King Piccolo).

I wanna add: Portal/Portal 2,(& Half Life 2,duh!),a DMC game,MORE Silent Hill games.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
  • Modern Warfare 2 should have been ported (Only COD we missed out on, which is weird since we got 1 and 3..)
  • Pandoras Tower should have been localized.
  • I would have loved to see morrowind with updated visuals and combat get ported over :P
  • Given the linearity of the Dead Space games, I think they could have been done on the Wii without too much sacrifice.
  • Can't really think of much else..
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreekGameManiac

• Modern Warfare 2 should have been ported (Only COD we missed out on, which is weird since we got 1 and 3..)
  • I would have loved to see morrowind with updated visuals and combat get ported over :P
  • Given the linearity of the Dead Space games, I think they could have been done on the Wii without too much sacrifice.

WreckEm711

Morrorwind?!?!? really?

Ahem....it WAS localised.

We have it here.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

GreekGameManiac

Morrorwind?!?!? really?

Ahem....it WAS localised.

We have it here.

Morrowind was amazing, what's wrong with wanting an updated port with combat that doesn't totally and completely blow :P

I mean localized where it actually helps ME! I mean, I can import it, but it hasn't dropped to a price I feel that's worth it :(

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GreekGameManiac

Morrowind was amazing, what's wrong with wanting an updated port with combat that doesn't totally and completely blow :P

I mean localized where it actually helps ME! I mean, I can import it, but it hasn't dropped to a price I feel that's worth it :(

WreckEm711

Dude,Morrorwind is really old,why would they bring it on the Wii?

Meh,your wishes are your wishes.

Yeah,i feel you on that one.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

GreekGameManiac

Dude,Morrorwind is really old,why would they bring it on the Wii?

Meh,your wishes are your wishes.

Yeah,i feel you on that one.

The Xbox version came out not too long before the Wii did, and the GOTY edition was even closer :P They've ported much older games!

JaeMatthews65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JaeMatthews65
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
just about anything "could" have been on the wii, but it wasn't, so stop whining about it
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Honestly the ONLY game I wanted to be Localized was Earth Seeker. Maybe a sequel, remake or combo pack of 1 and 2 (If they do a sequel) can be made on WiiU.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WreckEm711

just about anything "could" have been on the wii, but it wasn't, so stop whining about itJaeMatthews65

Or you could learn reading comprehension instead of being a punk about it. It isn't a "whine for what you wish you had" thread.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreekGameManiac

Since Wreck said Morrorwind,i'ma add Gothic 2.

I played that as a teen and loved it.

Ofcourse the Wii version would be graphically enhanced,.with new quests and stuff.

NeoJ4K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 NeoJ4K3
Member since 2005 • 282 Posts

Pandora's Tower did get localized....

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WreckEm711

Pandora's Tower did get localized....

NeoJ4K3
In Europe, yes. That doesn't do any good for Americans :P
NeoJ4K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NeoJ4K3

It is If your wii is unlocked... lol but hey, I didn't know that, I just saw it on the shelves here in Australia, I can Imagine that it is close behind for America

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WreckEm711

It is If your wii is unlocked... lol but hey, I didn't know that, I just saw it on the shelves here in Australia, I can Imagine that it is close behind for America

NeoJ4K3
My region lock is broken, unfortunately the game is too high still for me to consider importing, once the conversion and overseas shipping apply, etc. I don't think it'll come over, too late in the game now. I can import it later when it's dirt cheap :D
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

To be to the point, any game that matched the level of greatness of the Wii's best games in its first year and a half on the market, really. SMG, Metroid Prime 3, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, SSBB, heck, even Resident Evil 4... games that were a promising sign for things to come for the future and were as great of examples for other developers to follow and expand on in the future. Unfortunately, no one pay attention to them and went on to believe the whole "casual vs. hardcore" nonsense that defined the Wii in the eyes of the industry and crippled the system's potential to be truly groundbreaking on all accounts.

To be more specific, though, I would have loved to seen Trace Memory make it stateside, a TRUE Resident Evil experience built for the system, and Dragon Quest X become a more traditional RPG with the greatness of DQVIII in mind, instead of the online, multi-platform nonsense it has transformed into.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GreekGameManiac

To be to the point, any game that matched the level of greatness of the Wii's best games in its first year and a half on the market, really. SMG, Metroid Prime 3, WarioWare: Smooth Moves, SSBB, heck, even Resident Evil 4... games that were a promising sign for things to come for the future and were as great of examples for other developers to follow and expand on in the future. Unfortunately, no one pay attention to them and went on to believe the whole "casual vs. hardcore" nonsense that defined the Wii in the eyes of the industry and crippled the system's potential to be truly groundbreaking on all accounts.

To be more specific, though, I would have loved to seen Trace Memory make it stateside, a TRUE Resident Evil experience built for the system, and Dragon Quest X become a more traditional RPG with the greatness of DQVIII in mind, instead of the online, multi-platform nonsense it has transformed into.

Madmangamer364

You mean Another Code R A Journey into Lost Memories?

Yeah,i loved that game.

The DS one could be better,though.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
-Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil games got so much support from fans on the Wii, there was a huge petition, and yes the Wii couldn't run the RE5 engine, but Capcom said they could technically run the game using the RE4 engine or an engine they could build from the ground up for Wii. Its sad really, because I loved RE4 on Wii and the motion controls would really make it a great game. -Portal 1 and 2. Portal was a fairly simple puzzle game, which eventually had huge surprisingly enormous success. The game wasn't all the advanced graphically and it was actually pretty small, I feel it would have been smart to port it to the Wii. Also motion controls could really benefit the game. Portal 2 used a more advanced version of the Source Engine, but I'm sure the Wii could handle it as well using minimum settings and 480p. -Starfox. The Wii mote and starfox seem like a great fit, I would have loved to see Starfox on the Wii. Sadly it missed the generation, hopefully we see something soon on Wii U. -A good Pokemon Adventure. Battle Revolution was awful, and Poke Park games were alright, they weren't true pokemon games. I would have love to see something like Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, Pokemon Colesseum, or even something like the original Pokemon Stadium games.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Madmangamer364

-Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil games got so much support from fans on the Wii, there was a huge petition, and yes the Wii couldn't run the RE5 engine, but Capcom said they could technically run the game using the RE4 engine or an engine they could build from the ground up for Wii. Its sad really, because I loved RE4 on Wii and the motion controls would really make it a great game. FPS1337

Instead, the Wii got two glorified rail-shooters while even the unestablished 3DS gets a RE Mercenaries and a brand-new RE spin-off. I'll NEVER understand how this happened, given RE4's success on the Wii, the much larger userbase, AND what the Wii Remote could have added to those games. The way Capcom handled the RE franchise on the Wii almost singlehandedly sums up the biggest problem the system had. It's not so much that the system didn't get RE5 or other big name titles on other systems, but the fact that developers thought that creating games with far less ambition behind them would justify things. The Wii simply deserved better than that, and think in the minds of some developers out there, they know it.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Street Fighter IV - 3DS got a very impressive port so no doubt they could have got it on Wii too!
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="FPS1337"]-Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil games got so much support from fans on the Wii, there was a huge petition, and yes the Wii couldn't run the RE5 engine, but Capcom said they could technically run the game using the RE4 engine or an engine they could build from the ground up for Wii. Its sad really, because I loved RE4 on Wii and the motion controls would really make it a great game. Madmangamer364

Instead, the Wii got two glorified rail-shooters while even the unestablished 3DS gets a RE Mercenaries and a brand-new RE spin-off. I'll NEVER understand how this happened, given RE4's success on the Wii, the much larger userbase, AND what the Wii Remote could have added to those games. The way Capcom handled the RE franchise on the Wii almost singlehandedly sums up the biggest problem the system had. It's not so much that the system didn't get RE5 or other big name titles on other systems, but the fact that developers thought that creating games with far less ambition behind them would justify things. The Wii simply deserved better than that, and think in the minds of some developers out there, they know it.

It was the newer guys/team that handle RE5, Im guessing didn't like the Wii?..the person who created RE4 left Capcom already, I think? & its the same newer guys/team that have steered RE to where I do not like (RE6). Definitely not looking forward to RE7 unless some changes are done. Agree with everything else you say.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Madmangamer364

It was the newer guys/team that handle RE5, Im guessing didn't like the Wii?..the person who created RE4 left Capcom already, I think? & its the same newer guys/team that have steered RE to where I do not like (RE6). Definitely not looking forward to RE7 unless some changes are done. Agree with everything else you say.

superbuuman

Who/which team handled RE5 wasn't really my point. Like I said earlier, the Wii's problem wasn't really the fact that it didn't get RE5 at all. The problem was with Capcom not seeing the Wii as a worthy enough system to create a game of equal or greater quality and A-team effort for. It's the poor attitude that publishers/developers had about the Wii that hurt it more than anything else. Heck, the PSP, as irrelevant as it was at times, oftentimes got supported better than the Wii.

It's inexcusable when you think about the mentality in which games were created for the Wii. The PS1 became the super-popular system it was because you had big name publishers willing to take big risks for it and using their premier brands to make a lasting mark on the console. The Wii had that very same potential, yet most major publishers saw fit to 'experiment' with the market (and more specifically, an imaginary "hardcore" market) with less than top-tier concepts, and paid the price for it in a deserving manner.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

Madmangamer364

Who/which team handled RE5 wasn't really my point. Like I said earlier, the Wii's problem wasn't really the fact that it didn't get RE5 at all. The problem was with Capcom not seeing the Wii as a worthy enough system to create a game of equal or greater quality and A-team effort for. It's the poor attitude that publishers/developers had about the Wii that hurt it more than anything else. Heck, the PSP, as irrelevant as it was at times, oftentimes got supported better than the Wii.

It's inexcusable when you think about the mentality in which games were created for the Wii. The PS1 became the super-popular system it was because you had big name publishers willing to take big risks for it and using their premier brands to make a lasting mark on the console. The Wii had that very same potential, yet most major publishers saw fit to 'experiment' with the market (and more specifically, an imaginary "hardcore" market) with less than top-tier concepts, and paid the price for it in a deserving manner.

I know right?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

GreekGameManiac

Morrorwind?!?!? really?

Morrowind was practically a launch title for the Xbox. It came out a year after the Xbox released and of course released on PC.

He may as well be asking for Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance, Splinter Cell 1, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto : Vice City, and Medal of Honor : Frontline for Wii along with any other games from 2002. That's how ancient Elder Scrolls 3 is. Of course, I still have my copies. I can remember reserving the game, the delays, and finally getting the game on launch day back in 2002. :P The GOTY version released a mere year later in 2003. We see that today all the time with a game release, and then a "GOTY" version release a year later. The Gamecube was released in 2001, the GOTY version of ES3 came out in 2003, and the Wii released three years later in 2006. I would have never thought this game would particularly work as an early last generation game being ported for the Wii using Waggle.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidTy

Madmangamer364

Nintendo hurt the potential for the Wii when they created the machine with virtually the same graphics (slightly above) as the last generation (GC, PS2, Xbox). That left a lot of publishers that made high fidelity, graphically intensive, AI intensive, Online intensive, Physics intensive games with a unique problem. They made games a certain way for many, many years. That wasn't going to change. You can't put all the blame on publishers as you seemingly chose to do an entire generation as part of the blame resides with Nintendo's choices in the construction of the Wii. You mentioned the PS1, well that system was very powerful for it's time, in contrast to the Wii which never was powerful even day one out of the gate. It wasn't even slightly close to the graphics potential the PC and PS360 had...which was a shame if you wanted those ports.

So, that comparison you drew isn't entirely showing the whole picture. A more proper comparison would be if the PS1 had been ever-so-slightly more powerful than the Genesis/SNES/Turbografx instead of the 3D powerhouse Sony made the PS1 at the time. The PS1 would have never been what it was had that happened. The PSOne really held it's own the entire generation (despite the one year later release of the N64) and allowed developers to push the hardware in many creative ways using the newly popular CD format, including amazing sound, and 3D/Polygons. The Wii's graphics were closer to previous generation's Gamecube/PS2/Xbox than they were to the PS360. That wasn't the same story with the 16-bit SNES/Genesis transition to 32/64-bit PSOne/N64/Saturn.

The Wii was a sales success, but it certainly was an awkward success for some gamers that wanted and believed the Wii was destined to be the NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 game bastion of it's generation, receiving the lionshare of multiplatform games and 3rd party support. Nintendo crippled option with developers/publishers that with one fell stroke. I can only imagine what the Wii could have been if Nintendo had spent more money on the graphics front and of course maintained the Waggle gimmick that propelled the Wii to such high sales. Waggle had potential, but the technology itself needed Motion+, which then fragmented the audience and M+ was released too late. It was a gamble to ask devs to soley focus on developing for the Wii's waggle premise, in retrospect.

I had great times with the Wii, it was a great machine with amazing titles...but what if scenarios can be fun to discuss I suppose. :P

It seems Waggle is on it's way out as Nintendo's decided their new direction is back to two analog sticks with a screen on the controller as we see with the Wii U.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

SolidTy

Morrorwind?!?!? really?

Morrowind was practically a launch title for the Xbox. It came out a year after the Xbox released and of course released on PC.

He may as well be asking for Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance, Splinter Cell 1, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto : Vice City, and Medal of Honor : Frontline for Wii along with any other games from 2002. That's how ancient Elder Scrolls 3 is. Of course, I still have my copies. I can remember reserving the game, the delays, and finally getting the game on launch day back in 2002. :P The GOTY version released a mere year later in 2003. We see that today all the time with a game release, and then a "GOTY" version release a year later. The Gamecube was released in 2001 and the Wii released three years later in 2006. I would have never thought an early last generation game for the Wii using Waggle.

Rotflcopter

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Morrorwind?!?!? really?

GreekGameManiac

He may as well be asking for Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance, Splinter Cell 1, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto : Vice City, and Medal of Honor : Frontline for Wii along with any other games from 2002. That's how ancient Elder Scrolls 3 is. Of course, I still have my copies. I can remember reserving the game, the delays, and finally getting the game on launch day back in 2002. :P The GOTY version released a mere year later in 2003. We see that today all the time with a game release, and then a "GOTY" version release a year later. The Gamecube was released in 2001, the GOTY version of ES3 came out in 2003, and the Wii released three years later in 2006. I would have never thought this game would particularly work as an early last generation game being ported for the Wii using Waggle.

Rotflcopter

That was a typo as I was factoring in Elder Scrolls 3 : GOTY's 2003 date. I think it got deleted by accident. Thankfully the subject matter of Morrowind (ES3) was still intact for my point to make sense.

I'm glad you got a laugh though? What a wonderful thread, btw. People just love information and truly are appreciative when they get a large dose of it. You can type out a world cIass novel, and I'm sure someone somewhere will point out an spelling or math error on page 9 that completely ruins the entire subject matter and book. What a shame.

Thanks for spotting that missing fragment of that sentence for me, I was about to publish that answer and I would hate for that to be printed. That's what editors are for, to spot those quirks before the article hits the press :P ...unless this is just a chat forum. ;)

Did you like the rest of the post, or did you just enjoy the missing part of the sentence? Those missing fragments can lend themselves to a great read I suppose, for some users.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

The wiimote still has tons of untapped potential because third parties publishers felt they never had any reason to bother.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

He may as well be asking for Metal Gear Solid 2 : Substance, Splinter Cell 1, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto : Vice City, and Medal of Honor : Frontline for Wii along with any other games from 2002. That's how ancient Elder Scrolls 3 is. Of course, I still have my copies. I can remember reserving the game, the delays, and finally getting the game on launch day back in 2002. :P The GOTY version released a mere year later in 2003. We see that today all the time with a game release, and then a "GOTY" version release a year later. The Gamecube was released in 2001, the GOTY version of ES3 came out in 2003, and the Wii released three years later in 2006. I would have never thought an early last generation game for the Wii using Waggle.

SolidTy

Rotflcopter

That was a typo as I was factoring in Elder Scrolls 3 : GOTY's 2003 date. I think it got deleted by accident. Thankfully the subject matter of Morrowind (ES3) was still intact for my point to make sense.

I'm glad you got a laugh though? What a wonderful thread, btw. People just love information and truly are appreciative when they get a large dose of it. You can type out a world cIass novel, and I'm sure someone somewhere will point out an spelling or math error on page 9 that completely ruins the entire subject matter and book. What a shame.

Thanks for spotting that missing fragment of that sentence for me, I was about to publish that answer and I would hate for that to be printed. That's what editors are for, to spot those quirks before the article hits the press :P ...unless this is just a chat forum. ;)

Did you like the rest of the post, or did you just enjoy the missing part of the sentence? Those missing fragments can lend themselves to a great read I suppose, for some users.

I'm sure there are doctors that specialize in helping you get that stick out :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Rotflcopter

WreckEm711

I could get that stick removed in a few minutes with a Doctor aid :shock: (it's not a stick btw, it's a Wiimote ;)), but it will take years for you to absorb this entire conversation. :P Perhaps after some more schoolwork, perserving with your studies, and reading you can triumph and overcome any obstacle young one! :idea::P

Take a look, it's in a book...

tumblr_lrsxa5Vub41qclfey.jpg

Go play with your toys, junior. Mommy and Daddy are talking right now. This is grown up stuff. :P

j/k.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

I could get that stick removed in a few minutes with a Doctor aid :shock: (it's not a stick btw, it's a Wiimote ;)), but it will take years for you to absorb this entire conversation. :P Perhaps after some more schoolwork, perserving with your studies, and reading you can triumph and overcome any obstacle young one! :idea::P

Go play with your toys, junior. Mommy and Daddy are talking right now. This is grown up stuff. :P

j/k.

The stick must be lodged further than I thought :(

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

j/k.

No cookies from the cookie jar for you, junior! :o

funny-Cookie-monster-closet.jpg

When people get owned or merely don't like seeing the truth/subject, they always try run away and change the subject hiding behind ad hominems! Insults, very intelligent! 1/5 stars! : P

Thread is completely off topic because of you. Congrats! Shout out to the TC for his minor assist! *gasp*

inb4 stick reference...which takes little effort. The only stick I have is the Stick of Truth I've been waving around you longtime fanboy ; ). *yawn*

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Madmangamer364

They made games a certain way for many, many years. That wasn't going to change.

SolidTy

The reason I'm quote this and only this is because it sums up the problem. The very problem I've been explaining and still stand by. Publishers didn't stand by the Wii as strongly as it should have been supported because it wasn't status quo. The Wii's power (or alleged lack there of) wasn't the reason why it couldn't get better efforts. Even if it the Wii couldn't produce the games with the same A.I. or physics engines as the HD consoles, there was still plenty of potential to produce much better games than the system saw from third party publishers. The Wii's best and most successful titles proved that by not only being able to have exclusive titles that sold just as well, if not better, than HD multiplats, but also having its most critically successful games hold their own and being "Game of the Year" quality software that stood toe-to-toe with the best of HD games. Unfortunately, all of those titles came from one publisher, but it proves that making such games certainly wasn't an impossibility.

I used that comparison not because of the Wii's power, but because of the opportunities that it presented as a system. The uniqueness of the platform and the popularity that it had meant that there were doors for publishers to come up with that truly 'BIG' game that would have helped defined both the system and the future of the publisher(s) behind such a game, much like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid did on the PS1. However, that was never going to happen with games like Dead Space Extraction or Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers being built with inferior teams and resources. I think everyone knows that, but very few are willing to look themselves in the mirror and accept it. The EAs and Capcoms of the world didn't embrace the Wii with that kind of foresight or optimism, so naturally, the chances of putting together that breakthrough hit for the Wii were never going to be that great. As a result, they were left scratching their heads as to why what they were releasing sold so poorly, while games like Wii Fit and New Super Mario Bros. Wii came along and broke sales records left and right. That's not a hardware issue.

Furthermore, it certainly didn't help the Wii's cause that its predecessors weren't actually havens for third party publishers, but the Wii did enough to prove that it didn't carry the same shortcomings (and shortcomings that have probably become overstated over the years due to the lack of success on Nintendo systems from third parties, I might add). However, even in the system's unprecedented success, it couldn't change a pretty stubborn culture of game development and encourage the most noteworthy of developers to give it a fair shake. And to be truthful, even if the Wii WAS as powerful as the other systems, it would have likely faced that same sour attitude for developing games for it, much like the GameCube did before it and much like the Wii U is starting to get from a number of developers already.

Just look at the other systems the Wii was released with... not just the HD systems, but the portables as well. At some point in time, all of them got the "Big Game" treatment from a major publisher that wasn't a game where everyone felt like it was a lackluster offering (ala the Wii's "guided shooter" experience). Even the DS got a GTA built exclusively for it, despite the fact that the system never at any moment looked like it needed a game of GTA's intended audience to succeed. The worst thing about it all is that pointing a finger at the Wii's hardware for its shortcomings has become so easy of a thing for most people to do, they fail to overlook the dozens of examples where the ball was simply dropped and where the faceprints of many a developer can still be seen in the mud.

It can't be helped now, but if we're going to break down what the Wii could have been, the conclusion isn't the black-and-white notion that the system's hardware was somehow its undoing, even if you have some developers out there that choose to build their games on powerful systems (which in Nintendo's case, was probably an unlikelyhood anyways). As for Nintendo's "new" direction, that's totally another subject for another thread. :P

NeoJ4K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NeoJ4K3

Get it now, it isnt gonna get any cheaper lol

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

They made games a certain way for many, many years. That wasn't going to change.

Madmangamer364

The reason I'm quote this and only this is because it sums up the problem. The very problem I've been explaining and still stand by. Publishers didn't stand by the Wii as strongly as it should have been supported because it wasn't status quo. The Wii's power (or alleged lack there of) wasn't the reason why it couldn't get better efforts. Even if it the Wii couldn't produce the games with the same A.I. or physics engines as the HD consoles, there was still plenty of potential to produce much better games than the system saw from third party publishers. The Wii's best and most successful titles proved that by not only being able to have exclusive titles that sold just as well, if not better, than HD multiplats, but also having its most critically successful games hold their own and being "Game of the Year" quality software that stood toe-to-toe with the best of HD games. Unfortunately, all of those titles came from one publisher, but it proves that making such games certainly wasn't an impossibility.

I used that comparison not because of the Wii's power, but because of the opportunities that it presented as a system. The uniqueness of the platform and the popularity that it had meant that there were doors for publishers to come up with that truly 'BIG' game that would have helped defined both the system and the future of the publisher(s) behind such a game, much like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid did on the PS1. However, that was never going to happen with games like Dead Space Extraction or Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers being built with inferior teams and resources. I think everyone knows that, but very few are willing to look themselves in the mirror and accept it. The EAs and Capcoms of the world didn't embrace the Wii with that kind of foresight or optimism, so naturally, the chances of putting together that breakthrough hit for the Wii were never going to be that great. As a result, they were left scratching their heads as to why what they were releasing sold so poorly, while games like Wii Fit and New Super Mario Bros. Wii came along and broke sales records left and right. That's not a hardware issue.

Furthermore, it certainly didn't help the Wii's cause that its predecessors weren't actually havens for third party publishers, but the Wii did enough to prove that it didn't carry the same shortcomings (and shortcomings that have probably become overstated over the years due to the lack of success on Nintendo systems from third parties, I might add). However, even in the system's unprecedented success, it couldn't change a pretty stubborn culture of game development and encourage the most noteworthy of developers to give it a fair shake. And to be truthful, even if the Wii WAS as powerful as the other systems, it would have likely faced that same sour attitude for developing games for it, much like the GameCube did before it and much like the Wii U is starting to get from a number of developers already.

Just look at the other systems the Wii was released with... not just the HD systems, but the portables as well. At some point in time, all of them got the "Big Game" treatment from a major publisher that wasn't a game where everyone felt like it was a lackluster offering (ala the Wii's "guided shooter" experience). Even the DS got a GTA built exclusively for it, despite the fact that the system never at any moment looked like it needed a game of GTA's intended audience to succeed. The worst thing about it all is that pointing a finger at the Wii's hardware for its shortcomings has become so easy of a thing for most people to do, they fail to overlook the dozens of examples where the ball was simply dropped and where the faceprints of many a developer can still be seen in the mud.

It can't be helped now, but if we're going to break down what the Wii could have been, the conclusion isn't the black-and-white notion that the system's hardware was somehow its undoing, even if you have some developers out there that choose to build their games on powerful systems (which in Nintendo's case, was probably an unlikelyhood anyways). As for Nintendo's "new" direction, that's totally another subject for another thread. :P

Thank you... Someone who can see the bigger picture.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Nintendo hurt the potential for the Wii when they created the machine with virtually the same graphics (slightly above) as the last generation (GC, PS2, Xbox). That left a lot of publishers that made high fidelity, graphically intensive, AI intensive, Online intensive, Physics intensive games with a unique problem. They made games a certain way for many, many years. That wasn't going to change. You can't put all the blame on publishers as you seemingly chose to do an entire generation as part of the blame resides with Nintendo's choices in the construction of the Wii. You mentioned the PS1, well that system was very powerful for it's time, in contrast to the Wii which never was powerful even day one out of the gate. It wasn't even slightly close to the graphics potential the PC and PS360 had...which was a shame if you wanted those ports.

So, that comparison you drew isn't entirely showing the whole picture. A more proper comparison would be if the PS1 had been ever-so-slightly more powerful than the Genesis/SNES/Turbografx instead of the 3D powerhouse Sony made the PS1 at the time. The PS1 would have never been what it was had that happened. The PSOne really held it's own the entire generation (despite the one year later release of the N64) and allowed developers to push the hardware in many creative ways using the newly popular CD format, including amazing sound, and 3D/Polygons. The Wii's graphics were closer to previous generation's Gamecube/PS2/Xbox than they were to the PS360. That wasn't the same story with the 16-bit SNES/Genesis transition to 32/64-bit PSOne/N64/Saturn.

The Wii was a sales success, but it certainly was an awkward success for some gamers that wanted and believed the Wii was destined to be the NES/SNES/PS1/PS2 game bastion of it's generation, receiving the lionshare of multiplatform games and 3rd party support. Nintendo crippled option with developers/publishers that with one fell stroke. I can only imagine what the Wii could have been if Nintendo had spent more money on the graphics front and of course maintained the Waggle gimmick that propelled the Wii to such high sales. Waggle had potential, but the technology itself needed Motion+, which then fragmented the audience and M+ was released too late. It was a gamble to ask devs to soley focus on developing for the Wii's waggle premise, in retrospect.

I had great times with the Wii, it was a great machine with amazing titles...but what if scenarios can be fun to discuss I suppose. :P

It seems Waggle is on it's way out as Nintendo's decided their new direction is back to two analog sticks with a screen on the controller as we see with the Wii U.

NirdBerd

The very problem I've been explaining and still stand by. Publishers didn't stand by the Wii as strongly as it should have been supported because it wasn't status quo. As for Nintendo's "new" direction, that's totally another subject for another thread. :P

Thank you... Someone who can see the bigger picture.

I maintain the picture I illustrated was larger in scope. :shock:

The problem with that bigger picture that you claim he and you see is that it takes the entire blame and pins it on the gaming industry and makes the claim that Nintendo had no part in the Wii's 3rd Party suitors.

Can we really make that claim that the 3rd parties were 100% the problem and the singular manufacturer Nintendo is the "innocent" victim on how the Wii was handled (with regards to 3rd party support)? Nintendo is 0% the problem on how 3rd party content was handled. I know for instance that the competition made deals to bring strong content to their machines, how hard did Nintendo work behind the scenes? We can say Nintendo has 0% blame knowing full well how the Wii was handled online from not having annual Wii Virtual console sales, the weak online setup for online gaming (worse than the DC-PS2-Xbox before it, even down to friend codes) to locking purchases Digital content per console to weak hardware to a new waggle gimmick that the PC/PS3/360/DS/3DS/Vita and now even Wii U are not pushing? Dont you think it's a lot to ask the 3rd party companies to jump on board full throttle to that waggle concept. We didn't even see the games improve when 360 and PS3 adopted motion control solutions. One one point all three manufacturers were promoting a form of waggle, but the software suddenly didn't improve because ultimately motion controls are more limiting. We tasted motion controls even during the PS2 generation.

Nintendo did create the Wii as it was (which was great), Nintendo knew what we knew which was how the entire gaming industry operated, yet they still designed the Wii as it was. What did they expect?

I realize the romantic ideals involved his posts (I liked it too, but it's just that a romantic intrreprative spin), but it's just too big a pill to swallow. Blaming a whole industry on how the Wii's support was handled and shifting the entire blame on 3rd parties without thinking about Nintendo's part in how the generation played out seems deliberately myopic. I'll always maintain Nintendo shares that blame. I liked his post, but honestly, it's not believable, at least to me and my group of associates. :cool:

That said, this is all a 'what if' scenario anyways with no proof one way or the other. So perhaps to chill with my fellow Nintendo fans I should just agree to that scenario publicly so as to get posts that agree to it? :P

Well one thing we do know for sure is that in the end the Nintendo Wii suffered a lack of strong 3rd party support (in comparison to PS360PC), despite how we disagree on the "why", and it's certainly a lesson that can be learned from for future generations. I bought a Wii day one, and my expectations were met as I learned a lot with the Gamecube and N64. As far as Nintendo's claim the GC was on par with the other machines, Nintendo made a competent and powerful machine, but gimped the format to a limiting 1.38-1.5 GB disc as if they didn't learn from the previous generations on how powerful hardware can be limited by choosing the wrong format (the GC also on the side didn't offer strong online in a gen that had it).

I didn't quote him because while I respected his answer, this isn't his first rodeo and after seeing an entire generation 2006-2012 of Wii performance, that is the conclusion he drew. I can respect it, but I won't ever agree to it because I knew going into my Wii purchase back in 2006 what Nintendo had done once again to alienate the 3rd party suitors...and it was right. Since the SNES, Nintendo has done something that somehow limited the 3rd party companies, and I see that today even with the Wii U (which I also own and love). :P

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Madmangamer364

Can we really make that claim that the 3rd parties were 100% the problem and the singular manufacturer Nintendo is the "innocent" victim on how the Wii was handled (with regards to 3rd party support)?

SolidTy

When it comes to the quality and effort of third party games, sure. Why would I blame Nintendo for the half-hearted efforts of others, especially when they were doing just fine on every other system at the time, regardless of power, online components, and other hardware-related issues? None of those things would have changed the fact that using rail-shooters as your high-profile game (most of them eventually selling as $15 DLC games on other consoles, which goes to show their worth) was a terrible concept for taking the most successful system of its time seriously. I agree that the motion control dynamic was different, but your points in regards to "waggle" (the term, in essence, serving as another example to the fact that the way the Wii was approached by most was flawed) would be more acceptable if it simply wasn't possible to create great games with it and expand on it. That whole angle became irrelevant after the system's first year on the market, however. And I'm not just talking about Nintendo's games, like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, but Resident Evil 4 implemented motion controls in a conventional way better than most traditional Wii games that followed, while STILL showing that there was plenty of room for expanding on the formula. No one is questioning that the Wii was a different animal to tame. It's just that only a chosen few took the animal seriously to begin with, leaving the majority to wind up being bitten.

At the end of the day, it was about the attitude in which the majority of the industry had about the Wii that did it the most harm, not the way the system was built. By the time most publishers realised that the system had a chance to be relevant in the long-term, the Wii was already hitting its stride and leaving the conventional thinkers of the industry behind. The Wii's to blame for its own success, but not for most of the industry being unable to see it. Most big-name publishers then thought they could get a piece of the pie by "cashing in" on certain demographics, not by making "AAA" games that they needed in order to even survive on other systems, which then became a total waste of everyone's time. I'm sure most would have accepted the Wii offerings of third parties much better if they were being designed with that same desire for making excellent games, even if the hardware would have meant that things would have to play a bit differently. However, the fact that a port of a game that was already three years old when it was released on the Wii remained its most ambitious offering from a major third party is simply something you can't find a scapegoat for.

And to be honest, I'm not even point the finger at EVERY publisher/developer out there, as you had quite a few lesser known third parties that were responsible for some very noteworthy Wii games, both at retail and on WiiWare. The Bit Trip Series, LostWinds, Little King's Story, A Boy and His Blob... they were quality third party offerings that may or may not gotten all of the attention they deserved, but were much better examples of what Wii games could and should have been than the vast majority of games from the bigger name publishers out there. Even more telling, many of those games probably wouldn't have came to be if the Wii wasn't created in the way it was, so there was good to be done with what the console had. I think THAT's what Nintendo was expecting when it built the Wii. In an industry where rising costs have hurt many developers this gen (and killed a few more) and where you're constantly hearing about a lack of originality in the industry, the Wii opened its share of doors, even if only a handful of developers ran through them.

My whole point isn't the "Nintendo is right and everybody else was wrong" argument that you seem to think it is. However, the fact that there continues to be so strong of a feeling that the hardware alone somehow failed everyone in the face of so many weak attempts is just borderline depressing. That's why I used the system's first year and a half as an example of what could have been moving forward, but it was never seen as a stepping stone for greatness. Lastly, you don't have to agree or see eye-to-eye with me, but I'm pretty comfortable with where I stand on this matter. :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

I maintain the picture I illustrated was larger in scope. :shock:

The problem with that bigger picture that you claim he and you see is that it takes the entire blame and pins it on the gaming industry and makes the claim that Nintendo had no part in the Wii's 3rd Party suitors.

Can we really make that claim that the 3rd parties were 100% the problem and the singular manufacturer Nintendo is the "innocent" victim on how the Wii was handled (with regards to 3rd party support)? Nintendo is 0% the problem on how 3rd party content was handled. I know for instance that the competition made deals to bring strong content to their machines, how hard did Nintendo work behind the scenes? We can say Nintendo has 0% blame knowing full well how the Wii was handled online from not having annual Wii Virtual console sales, the weak online setup for online gaming (worse than the DC-PS2-Xbox before it, even down to friend codes) to locking purchases Digital content per console to weak hardware to a new waggle gimmick that the PC/PS3/360/DS/3DS/Vita and now even Wii U are not pushing? Dont you think it's a lot to ask the 3rd party companies to jump on board full throttle to that waggle concept. We didn't even see the games improve when 360 and PS3 adopted motion control solutions. One one point all three manufacturers were promoting a form of waggle, but the software suddenly didn't improve because ultimately motion controls are more limiting. We tasted motion controls even during the PS2 generation.

Nintendo did create the Wii as it was (which was great), Nintendo knew what we knew which was how the entire gaming industry operated, yet they still designed the Wii as it was. What did they expect?

I realize the romantic ideals involved his posts (I liked it too, but it's just that a romantic intrreprative spin), but it's just too big a pill to swallow. Blaming a whole industry on how the Wii's support was handled and shifting the entire blame on 3rd parties without thinking about Nintendo's part in how the generation played out seems deliberately myopic. I'll always maintain Nintendo shares that blame. I liked his post, but honestly, it's not believable, at least to me and my group of associates. :cool:

That said, this is all a 'what if' scenario anyways with no proof one way or the other. So perhaps to chill with my fellow Nintendo fans I should just agree to that scenario publicly so as to get posts that agree to it? :P

Well one thing we do know for sure is that in the end the Nintendo Wii suffered a lack of strong 3rd party support (in comparison to PS360PC), despite how we disagree on the "why", and it's certainly a lesson that can be learned from for future generations. I bought a Wii day one, and my expectations were met as I learned a lot with the Gamecube and N64. As far as Nintendo's claim the GC was on par with the other machines, Nintendo made a competent and powerful machine, but gimped the format to a limiting 1.38-1.5 GB disc as if they didn't learn from the previous generations on how powerful hardware can be limited by choosing the wrong format (the GC also on the side didn't offer strong online in a gen that had it).

I didn't quote him because while I respected his answer, this isn't his first rodeo and after seeing an entire generation 2006-2012 of Wii performance, that is the conclusion he drew. I can respect it, but I won't ever agree to it because I knew going into my Wii purchase back in 2006 what Nintendo had done once again to alienate the 3rd party suitors...and it was right. Since the SNES, Nintendo has done something that somehow limited the 3rd party companies, and I see that today even with the Wii U (which I also own and love). :P

Madmangamer364

My whole point isn't the "Nintendo is right and everybody else was wrong" argument that you seem to think it is. However, the fact that there continues to be so strong of a feeling that the hardware alone somehow failed everyone in the face of so many weak attempts is just borderline depressing. That's why I used the system's first year and a half as an example of what could have been moving forward, but it was never seen as a stepping stone for greatness. Lastly, you don't have to agree or see eye-to-eye with me, but I'm pretty comfortable with where I stand on this matter. :P

The thing is your sentiments mirror mine in many ways over these long six years as I've posted, with regards to many things you brought up. My only opinion that differs is the way Nintendo approached companies and their hardware design. I don't feel it was hardware alone, but I do feel hardware was a huge variable that I can't and won't sweep under the rug. I don't soley blame Nintendo, nor do I soley blame the industry. I simply divide the blame. That's where I see us differ. Nintendo asking the ambitious devs to go full throttle with AAA development for one weaker platform (as opposed to PC/PS3/360) using last generation graphical/physics/AI assets in lieu of promoting motion gameplay was a huge gambit. It didn't always pay off, and many of us knew what happened was going to happen from the get go. It's depressing sure, but asking the industry (that relies on ambitious talent and publishers looking to make as many games multiplatform as possible) to support one platforms gimmicks over the rest of the industry was a lot to ask. Perhaps the alternative would have resulted in motion (a two syllable word as you don't like waggle) greatness, but we certainly wouldn't be playing the same games we have today...and would the publishers have been able to port that greatness to the PS360PC? Another factor I didn't bring up was the 360 released first, allowing devs to get comfortable with upgrading assets. Perhaps Nintendo should have released the Wii in 2005 so as to prevent that as well. Again, other things to consider.

We'll never know because every generation since SNES (NES and SNES were their last home consoles to have been a 3rd party haven) Nintendo continues to beat to their own drummer when it comes to designing hardware. It's wonderful, but it's also alienating to some ambitious developers. Perhaps that's the cost of being a Nintendo fan. :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

j/k.

SolidTy

When people get owned or merely don't like seeing the truth/subject, they always try run away and change the subject hiding behind ad hominems! Insults, very intelligent! 1/5 stars! : P

Thread is completely off topic because of you. Congrats! Shout out to the TC for his minor assist! *gasp*

inb4 stick reference...which takes little effort. The only stick I have is the Stick of Truth I've been waving around you longtime fanboy ; ). *yawn*

You must be choking on that stick by now :( Lol at your notion of some sort of internet ownage in a discussion I have no part in, have fun with that keyboard warrior :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

You must be choking on that stick by now :( Lol at your notion of some sort of internet ownage in a discussion I have no part in, have fun with that keyboard warrior :P

Oh, I had plenty of fun, thanks for your input! :) :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

Sadly, I believe that's actually true:shock:

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

WreckEm711

Sadly, I believe that's actually true:shock:

I bet you do. ;)

Super_Maribro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Super_Maribro
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Any kinds of games really,sequels,ports,remakes,or other.

I so wanted them to make a Viewtiful Joe game for it after the DS one,they could've made it awesome!

Geist 2,F-ZERO,Starfox,Wario World 2,enhanced DBZ Budokai 3(or DB Heroes),a DBZ exclusive(OTHER than DB Revenge of King Piccolo).

I wanna add: Portal/Portal 2,(& Half Life 2,duh!),a DMC game,MORE Silent Hill games.

GreekGameManiac
Geist 2. The first game was really sweet but I'm guessing sales were lackluster or something. I definitely would have liked to see a sequel. Another F-Zero is always appreciated and after SH: Shattered Memories I would have loved to see another Silent Hill on Wii.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GreekGameManiac

Geist 2. The first game was really sweet but I'm guessing sales were lackluster or something. I definitely would have liked to see a sequel. Another F-Zero is always appreciated and after SH: Shattered Memories I would have loved to see another Silent Hill on Wii. Super_Maribro

YES,yes,and F*CK YES!

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#45 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

F-Zero, Star Fox and Luigi's Mansion.

The first two because they are huge Nintendo franchises. And the last because I think it would have been a fantastic fit for the Wiimote.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Can we really make that claim that the 3rd parties were 100% the problem and the singular manufacturer Nintendo is the "innocent" victim on how the Wii was handled (with regards to 3rd party support)?

Madmangamer364

When it comes to the quality and effort of third party games, sure. Why would I blame Nintendo for the half-hearted efforts of others, especially when they were doing just fine on every other system at the time, regardless of power, online components, and other hardware-related issues? None of those things would have changed the fact that using rail-shooters as your high-profile game (most of them eventually selling as $15 DLC games on other consoles, which goes to show their worth) was a terrible concept for taking the most successful system of its time seriously. I agree that the motion control dynamic was different, but your points in regards to "waggle" (the term, in essence, serving as another example to the fact that the way the Wii was approached by most was flawed) would be more acceptable if it simply wasn't possible to create great games with it and expand on it. That whole angle became irrelevant after the system's first year on the market, however. And I'm not just talking about Nintendo's games, like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, but Resident Evil 4 implemented motion controls in a conventional way better than most traditional Wii games that followed, while STILL showing that there was plenty of room for expanding on the formula. No one is questioning that the Wii was a different animal to tame. It's just that only a chosen few took the animal seriously to begin with, leaving the majority to wind up being bitten.

At the end of the day, it was about the attitude in which the majority of the industry had about the Wii that did it the most harm, not the way the system was built. By the time most publishers realised that the system had a chance to be relevant in the long-term, the Wii was already hitting its stride and leaving the conventional thinkers of the industry behind. The Wii's to blame for its own success, but not for most of the industry being unable to see it. Most big-name publishers then thought they could get a piece of the pie by "cashing in" on certain demographics, not by making "AAA" games that they needed in order to even survive on other systems, which then became a total waste of everyone's time. I'm sure most would have accepted the Wii offerings of third parties much better if they were being designed with that same desire for making excellent games, even if the hardware would have meant that things would have to play a bit differently. However, the fact that a port of a game that was already three years old when it was released on the Wii remained its most ambitious offering from a major third party is simply something you can't find a scapegoat for.

And to be honest, I'm not even point the finger at EVERY publisher/developer out there, as you had quite a few lesser known third parties that were responsible for some very noteworthy Wii games, both at retail and on WiiWare. The Bit Trip Series, LostWinds, Little King's Story, A Boy and His Blob... they were quality third party offerings that may or may not gotten all of the attention they deserved, but were much better examples of what Wii games could and should have been than the vast majority of games from the bigger name publishers out there. Even more telling, many of those games probably wouldn't have came to be if the Wii wasn't created in the way it was, so there was good to be done with what the console had. I think THAT's what Nintendo was expecting when it built the Wii. In an industry where rising costs have hurt many developers this gen (and killed a few more) and where you're constantly hearing about a lack of originality in the industry, the Wii opened its share of doors, even if only a handful of developers ran through them.

This pretty much sums up everything that is true about the wii's issues. Hardware really had little to do with it (it did have some, just not as much as people make it out to be). The publishers hold all the keys to waht games get made and what don't, and they had no real interest in the wii since day one, and that never really changed.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

The wiimote still has tons of untapped potential because third parties publishers felt they never had any reason to bother.

goblaa
yep 100% true
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

goblaa

Well Nintendo themselves never really bothered to continue on with it either..so?...hence why the new gamepad. Face it wiimote is gonna be left to collect dust with the gamepad now the primary controller. If Nintendo were serious they would improve the wiimote & use that as the main controller for WiiU.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Madmangamer364

Nintendo asking the ambitious devs to go full throttle with AAA development for one weaker platform (as opposed to PC/PS3/360) using last generation graphical/physics/AI assets in lieu of promoting motion gameplay was a hugegambit.SolidTy

I don't think that's why Nintendo made the Wii what it was, though. For Nintendo, the much bigger gamble would have been expecting support a third HD platform at the time, especially coming off the GameCube's struggles and the rising cost of game development. Nintendo knew that they had to do things differently and provide a system that was a unique platform for third party developers of all sizes to work with. Not to mention that some developers were still making PS2 games at the time, so it's not like developers had simply forgotten how to make use of such hardware, which the Wii still had an edge over. Lastly not forget what the DS had accomplished, despite being a weaker system than the PSP, still being to provide a system to release great games for, which quite a few third parties, like Konami and Square-Enix, took advantage of.

There were reasons to believe why the Wii would get supported better than it was, especially when you add that commercially, it managed to exceed EVERYONE's expectations for it.

It's depressing sure, but asking the industry (that relies on ambitious talent and publishers looking to make as many games multiplatform as possible) to support one platforms gimmicks over the rest of the industry was a lot to ask.SolidTy

It wasn't about choosing a "gimmick" over the rest of the industry, but as far as a publisher is concerned, giving itself a legitimate chance to make a mark on a console that was at times carrying the industry's success. The real depressing part was that most major third parties wanted to see their Wii games succeed and find an audience (I mean... they DID make games for the Wii, afterall), but didn't want to put it the time and resources to create "system selling" quality games. Whenever a "big" third party Wii game flopped, publishers whined about it, thinking that games that wouldn't be huge hits on ANY system were suddenly supposed to be the measuring stick of success on the Wii. All that there was to be asked for was something that wasn't as backwards thinking as that approach from major third parties, and Wii owners still didn't get it. lol

We'll never know because every generation since SNES (NES and SNES were their last home consoles to have been a 3rd party haven) Nintendo continues to beat to their own drummer when it comes to designing hardware. It's wonderful, but it's also alienating to some ambitious developers. Perhaps that's the cost of being a Nintendo fan. :P

SolidTy

Nintendo's at its best when it beats to its own drum, and as a Nintendo fan, that's when I'm most excited about what's to come. For the first time since the original NES, the Wii showcased Nintendo's uniqueness to its fullest extent as a console, and it's in that regard where I've come to appreciate the Wii more and more as time has gone on. When I worry is when Nintendo starts trying to play the game by the 'standard' rules, usually resulting into them being unable to attract the masses while STILL not reaching out to third parties and everyone else that criticizes them for something or another. To this day, that's why I believe the Wii U will see its share of struggles, since I think Nintendo has gone back to that philosophy that failed them with the GCN. If you're going to take heat, you should at least take it doing things your way.

guitarsmash09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 guitarsmash09
Member since 2012 • 145 Posts

We do need more Silent Hill games :D