This topic is locked from further discussion.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts

Would it be possible for Nintendo to release the Game Genie on the Wii Shop so that players could type in codes on the old NES and SNES games likewe could on the original consoles?

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
It was an unlicensed add-on from Galoob. Though not illegal, it's virtually impossible that Nintendo would suddenly license it now, especially since Nintendo took them to court and lost.
muscle_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 muscle_shark
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

I miss game genie, it was awesome. Game shark too. I think nintendo should add an option similar to game genie, because lets face it some people like me dont want to beat a game the hard way, we would rather run through with infinite ammo and health slaughtering anything that comes our way.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Cheaters never win.
wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

Cheaters never win.OreoMilkshake

Agreed! It seems that Nintendo doesn't believe in cheating either, because they don't have their own first party cheating device, and none of their games have a built-in cheat codes(somebody please correct me if I am wrong).

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
Yeah some of Nintendo games have had codes like Metroid and Zelda, but over the years the cheat code has become less and less evident. I guess its because of the age of the internet, it sort of defeats the purpose of the secret code. Also games these days really aren't about the abstract fun of the cheat code anymore anyway.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Actually, I won quite frequently when using the Game Genie... :P

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Cheaters never win.GabuEx

Me too :)

It was kind of hard NOT to win when using the Game Genie.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If you really want to do that It's best to just do it on a PC now and days.

Hacks like that are not done on systems anymore.

wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

Yeah some of Nintendo games have had codes like Metroid and Zelda, but over the years the cheat code has become less and less evident. I guess its because of the age of the internet, it sort of defeats the purpose of the secret code. Also games these days really aren't about the abstract fun of the cheat code anymore anyway. Sepewrath

Those were codes to save/load the game. Yes, original Metroid did have one.

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

Those were codes to save/load the game. Yes, original Metroid did have one.

wes008
and if you wrote that code down wrong it was frustrating as heck. they could have made the codes a little less obscure.
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts

The Game Genie was a brilliant idea that I wish would still go on to this day. There's no reason I can't cheat at my own game if I want to. Online play, no, but if I can't get past a part in a game I paid for, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to have the ability to get through it. Especially if it's in order to get unlockable content, which again, I paid for in buying the game. Plus, it's a whole lot more fun sometimes to play around with when you're bored.

Does anyone know why there isn't Game Sharks and stuff anymore? I'm assuming it's because of firmware updates that could block them out like they did on the Wii in the GC slot. Which pissed me off because I bought a **** Action Replay to play GC games with and then Nintendo made it so I wasted my money. Another reason why I support the used game industry.

Nabsol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Nabsol
Member since 2007 • 1014 Posts
Nintendo doesn't make Game Genies or Action Replays because it defeats the purpose of the game: To play it. They want people to enjoy what they intended, not have them taking out things and screwing up their hard work.
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Cheaters never win.GabuEx

You don't win in my mind! :x

evildevil97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 evildevil97
Member since 2005 • 1698 Posts
Ah, the Game Genie.... for people too lazy to actually play the game.
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bretthorror
Nintendo doesn't make Game Genies or Action Replays because it defeats the purpose of the game: To play it. They want people to enjoy what they intended, not have them taking out things and screwing up their hard work.Nabsol
So are we gonna make it so we can't fast forward movies now? Can't skip songs on albums because they're meant to be listened to as a whole?
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bass7

[QUOTE="Nabsol"]Nintendo doesn't make Game Genies or Action Replays because it defeats the purpose of the game: To play it. They want people to enjoy what they intended, not have them taking out things and screwing up their hard work.bretthorror
So are we gonna make it so we can't fast forward movies now? Can't skip songs on albums because they're meant to be listened to as a whole?

You're comparing things that can't really be compared.

Games are different, you're supposed to be playing it for the experience. I can understand using something like Game Genie on your second playthrough, but on the first playthrough it would make sense to finish the game as whole.

Think of it this way. If you're watching a DVD, you fast forward either because you've seen the part and you don't want to see it again or you're going to the spot you last left off. When you watch a movie for the first time in a theatre you don't run up into the projector room and skips parts, do you?

bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bretthorror

And you predictably skip the music album analogy 'cause it makes perfect sense in terms of viewing something as a piece of art in the eyes of the artist who invented the piece.

If a person pays for a game, gets stuck and wants to continue playing it to get some money's worth out of it, they should be able to do so.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bass7

And you predictably skip the music album analogy 'cause it makes perfect sense in terms of viewing something as a piece of art in the eyes of the artist who invented the piece.

If a person pays for a game, gets stuck and wants to continue playing it to get some money's worth out of it, they should be able to do so.

bretthorror

No, I simply didn't have a strong enough argument in my eyes. I'm sure someone else could explain it better than I can.

If it's a small thing like that, it's understandable. But playing through an entire game the first time with "Infinite Health" or something ridiculous like that is just absurd to me.

muscle_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muscle_shark
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

imo all games should have the option of infinite health/ammo, that you can toggle on from the option menu. no reason not to include it. for the people who dont like it, simply dont use it.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

And winners don't use drugs.