Does SM3DW do what 3Dland couldn't do

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Which start fun and stay fun till the end. When I played through 3Dland it was great at first but by the 4th world I was bored with the game. Heck there were times I booted up the game and immediately closed it without playing the game. I guess I missed the exploration of big 3d Mario games. You know secret stars and challenges, a great soundtrack to enjoy, the variety of sub bosses and next to no timed stages. I guess what I miss most is not having to rush through a stage

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

I played all 16 worlds and had a blast, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about :P

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Celsius765

@simuseb2: I'm talking about having to rush through levels because of the pointless timer instead of enjoying the levels at my own pace not to mention having all three star coins available all in one run through of a level, I'd have preferred the 3d Mario style of being rewarded one star or coin in this case per challenge completed. it gives the game more longevity and more for you to do. It was basically as bad as NSMB, like not the least bit rewarding to play. This why Nintendo shouldn't pander to the nostalgia crowd, Mario is devolving now

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

SM3DW is similar to SM3DL in terms of the setup and general feel (timer based, camera perspective). But I played through every world in SM3DL and I loved it, and I enjoyed SM3DW a lot more just because of the level design.

I do prefer the open style of Mario more, but we all know that the free camera moving flagship title is still coming. They make at least 1 per generation. So I wouldn't call it "devolving", they just make more kinds of Mario games.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 simuseb2

@Celsius765 said:

@simuseb2: I'm talking about having to rush through levels because of the pointless timer instead of enjoying the levels at my own pace not to mention having all three star coins available all in one run through of a level, I'd have preferred the 3d Mario style of being rewarded one star or coin in this case per challenge completed. it gives the game more longevity and more for you to do. It was basically as bad as NSMB, like not the least bit rewarding to play. This why Nintendo shouldn't pander to the nostalgia crowd, Mario is devolving now

Right. I get what your saying. But really, Mario isn't devolving, it's just changing. Your argument is the equivalent of saying, "You baked a caramel cake for my birthday this year, instead of a chocolate cake, your baking skills are devolving." It's actually the opposite. By expanding it's horizons, Mario is evolving. The baker still knows how to make chocolate cake, but now he knows how to make caramel cakes too. Now I get that you are looking for something different from your Mario games then I am, but that just means we have different tastes :P

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Celsius765 said:

Which start fun and stay fun till the end. When I played through 3Dland it was great at first but by the 4th world I was bored with the game. Heck there were times I booted up the game and immediately closed it without playing the game. I guess I missed the exploration of big 3d Mario games. You know secret stars and challenges, a great soundtrack to enjoy, the variety of sub bosses and next to no timed stages. I guess what I miss most is not having to rush through a stage

In a way. When you're playing it with 3 other friends I never really thought about it. I wasn't pleased with super luigi because of the timer, so I get what you're saying.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

The game was suppose to be in line with SMW, so of course it has a timer. There is plenty of time on the timer, I don't know how long you intend to be on a stage. But there should be plenty of time to explore and take in the level(minus the 99 sec levels)

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celsius765

@simuseb2 said:

@Celsius765 said:

Right. I get what your saying. But really, Mario isn't devolving, it's just changing. Your argument is the equivalent of saying, "You baked a caramel cake for my birthday this year, instead of a chocolate cake, your baking skills are devolving." It's actually the opposite. By expanding it's horizons, Mario is evolving. The baker still knows how to make chocolate cake, but now he knows how to make caramel cakes too. Now I get that you are looking for something different from your Mario games then I am, but that just means we have different tastes :P

yeah but most of what they did with 3D World isn't new from the look of it take riding Plessie that's not new it just hasn't been seen since Mario Sunshine. And going back to the old formula wasn't necessary. I realized this after playing Mario Galaxy and games like it

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Celsius765

@Sepewrath: yeah but at this point timers serve no purpose aside from the ones you gotta complete to get a star. I will hold my judgent for now but if it's anything like 3D Land there' likely nothing to explore and it's all linear

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 simuseb2

@Celsius765 said:

@simuseb2 said:

@Celsius765 said:

yeah but most of what they did with 3D World isn't new from the look of it take riding Plessie that's not new it just hasn't been seen since Mario Sunshine. And going back to the old formula wasn't necessary. I realized this after playing Mario Galaxy and games like it

Super Mario 3D world was just as "new" as Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Celsius765

@simuseb2 said:

@Celsius765 said:

@simuseb2 said:

@Celsius765 said:

Super Mario 3D world was just as "new" as Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Hmm then I guess 3dland was on the same level as SMB3 which wasn't as fun as I remember. SMW was definately the better game although the end boss battle wasn't amazing. Maybe 3d world will top it

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Mario 3D World follows the same formula, but It does a much better job of keeping you engaged from start to finish. In the 3DS version, the first 8 worlds were a drag and I had to force myself to finish the game. It only starts to get good at world 9 and upwards. In the Wii U sequel, the levels are fun and engaging from world one and are filled with far more secrets and interesting things to toy with. 3D World is just an absolute joy.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

"Heck there were times I booted up the game and immediately closed it without playing the game."

I also do this sometimes... I can power through it.... My Tolerance is awesome like that.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath

@Celsius765: If your looking for Mario 64 exploration, look elsewhere. If your looking for old 2D Mario games like exploration, it has that in spades.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Celsius765

@Sepewrath said:

@Celsius765: If your looking for Mario 64 exploration, look elsewhere. If your looking for old 2D Mario games like exploration, it has that in spades.

I shouldn't have to look elsewhere because there was no reason for them to shrink the game down to something as old as 2d Mario, the wii u isn't so limited in power that it's necessary. I enjoy Nintendo's they've always made great games I enjoy, I just thought it was shame they've backed tracked on the possibilities a Mario game could be. They've so much moving into 3D so why go back to the snes formula, is it just pay homage to an old classic. There's no harm in me looking at games critically. Try to comment with an open mind and understand another person's point of view if you can

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Celsius765

@Pikminmaniac said:

Mario 3D World follows the same formula, but It does a much better job of keeping you engaged from start to finish. In the 3DS version, the first 8 worlds were a drag and I had to force myself to finish the game. It only starts to get good at world 9 and upwards. In the Wii U sequel, the levels are fun and engaging from world one and are filled with far more secrets and interesting things to toy with. 3D World is just an absolute joy.

I sure hope so I don't wanna completely dismiss what might be a good game. I think when I started playing Mario was with Super Mario World there was something about it that was superior than previous games. I think it was the secret keyholes, alternate exits, and loads of stuff to figure out. I guess what makes a good Mario game is when it makes you think rather than simply challenging you to get to the end of a level. I think that's what I felt playing 3D Land, there wasn't much of a sense of achievement

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@Celsius765 said:

@Sepewrath said:

I shouldn't have to look elsewhere because there was no reason for them to shrink the game down to something as old as 2d Mario, the wii u isn't so limited in power that it's necessary. I enjoy Nintendo's they've always made great games I enjoy, I just thought it was shame they've backed tracked on the possibilities a Mario game could be. They've so much moving into 3D so why go back to the snes formula, is it just pay homage to an old classic. There's no harm in me looking at games critically. Try to comment with an open mind and understand another person's point of view if you can

I think Sepewrath's remark was pretty open-minded, actually. I just think you're a victim of your own expectations this time around. Nintendo didn't design 3D World because of power-related purposes or anything like that; Nintendo just made a design choice based on its vision for the game: a 3D platformer with 2D-like playability. Fair enough if you don't like that decision; heck, I'm not sure if 3D World classifies as my favorite type of Super Mario experience, even though I like some of the elements of the 3D Land/World formula. At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with you being critical, but your vision for a Mario game isn't exactly the law, either. :P

On a side note, you're SO wrong about SMB3, I can't even...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sepewrath

@Celsius765: You should pay more attention, I could care less about what you like or don't. I simply filled you in on what 3D World is. So I reiterate, if your looking for a Mario 64 type experience you wont get it with that game. That is not what the game was designed to be, it was designed to be more in line with the older games in the series. Something many people wanted, so perhaps you should take your own advice.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Celsius765:My feelings about 3D Land are different. I loved it from start to finish. 3D World, however, I didn't and still don't care for. All it does is make me want to play Mario Galaxy instead. I love the soundtrack, the boss battles are interesting, and the game is very pretty for the most part. Aside from those aspects, everything about it seems to have been done better in the past - even the boss battles. I have never liked multiplayer in any Mario game, and this one is no different. 3D World simply isn't a Mario game that I feel the urge to play.

If what I think you're looking for is correct, you aren't going to like 3D World any more than you did 3D Land. In fact, you may dislike it even more.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Celsius765

@Madmangamer364 said:

@Celsius765 said:

@Sepewrath said:

I think Sepewrath's remark was pretty open-minded, actually. I just think you're a victim of your own expectations this time around. Nintendo didn't design 3D World because of power-related purposes or anything like that; Nintendo just made a design choice based on its vision for the game: a 3D platformer with 2D-like playability. Fair enough if you don't like that decision; heck, I'm not sure if 3D World classifies as my favorite type of Super Mario experience, even though I like some of the elements of the 3D Land/World formula. At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with you being critical, but your vision for a Mario game isn't exactly the law, either. :P

On a side note, you're SO wrong about SMB3, I can't even...

yeah I supppose I was I didn't expect them to go back to the old formula since they seemed to have been aiming for new experiences. I know it's not law, I just got to liking where Mario was headed with games like Sunshine and the galaxy games. I'm hoping Galaxy 2 won't be the last one that's all I can do.

I'm sorry but it's just not atleast not to me anyway, I'm more of SMW fan

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Celsius765

@Sepewrath: They were kinda already getting games like the old Mario games though not quite as fun. Honestly I don't know what many thought of NSMB series. Those games made me feel like I was just going through the motions, like that hollow feeling I get when it comes to COD. I still won't be looking elsewhere, because you never know what to expect from Nintendo and I think Wii U could give us a huger game than past 3D Marios and lets face it no one else is making these sort of games

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#22  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I thought 3D Land started off really slow and didn't get better until you got to world 9 (after you "beat the game"). Super Mario 3D World also gets a whole lot better after you defeat Bowser, but its levels are far more varied, stars and stamps are hidden better, competitive local coop is fun, and everything starting at World 7 is basically Mario nirvana. I enjoyed 3D Land when it released, but after playing 3D World, I can't imagine ever going back and touching it. IMO, 3D Land is one of the worst Mario games out there, and 3D World is the very best.