Do you buy Nintendo hardware for third-party games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TransformerRobo

Poll Do you buy Nintendo hardware for third-party games? (29 votes)

Yes I do 34%
No I don't 66%

I don't buy Nintendo consoles or handhelds for third party games, I buy them for, well, Nintendo games.

I've never seen any company have more memorable first-party properties than Nintendo, which is why I don't care as much about third-party content on Nintendo systems. Nintendo's IPs are what have supported it for more than 30 years in gaming history.

Besides, do you know how quickly Sony and Microsoft would begin to sink if they didn't have THEIR third-party support?

• 
AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 AVIS93
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

I personally don't, but if there are any great third-party titles on the console, better than their counterparts on other platforms, I buy them. However, my main focus on a Nintendo console is always the first-party content, that's what makes Nintendo so special.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I voted no. I most certainly don't buy Nintendo consoles for 3rd party games. But like AVIS93 said, that doesn't mean that there isn't great 3rd party stuff on Nintendo consoles. My Nintendo consoles usually end up with a 60/40 split Nintendo 1st party to 3rd.

Right now on Wii U I have 7 games. 4 are from Nintendo and 3 from 3rd party.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Yeah, most people buy Nintendo consoles for the first party games, but having third party games is much better than having none, and there have been some excellent third party games on Nintendo platforms before.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I would like to be able to buy less console if possible ..do I buy 3rd party games for Wii U..yes if the version & price is similar as its competitors.

Should change the question to "do you buy 3rd party games on Nintendo hardware?"...of course people Nintendo buy hardware to play Nintendo games...that's kinda obvious.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

No. I don't buy 3rd party games for any system. There very few 3rd party devs I support. Most are crap and indie devs are much more innovative and creative. The only 3rd parties I get are the Tales Of games from Namco (Only played Symphonia 1 and 2 and Abyss on the 3DS and the Xbox 360 one. Other then that Bungie's Destiny and Monster Hunter from Capcom. Other then that none really come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998864a726a0
deactivated-5998864a726a0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By deactivated-5998864a726a0
Member since 2014 • 105 Posts

im buy it because i want nintendo games, but i like some thirds parties games.

Im buy it for play pokemon or zelda.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

Argh, I voted yes by accident!! Is there a way for me to change my vote?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

kinda.

i dont buy 3rd party multiplats on nintendo platforms. I use my PC for that. with the current state of things i would also be very reluctant to buy a multiplat as the nintendo version will have a catch.

however i buy plenty of 3rd party exclusive games on nintendo hardware. red steel 2, okami (ok thats a multiplat..but no catch..well not really :P), lost winds and so on. half of my wii games are 3rd party games.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TransformerRobo

Seriously, any mods or admins here who can help me? I need to change my vote to yes.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Mostly no, although there are definitely some third party must-haves (Resident Evil, Professor Layton...).

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

No, but it is always cool to get a few unexpected gems from 3rd parties.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-61a5a8e35ab83
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts

As as a fairly old gamer, the vast majority of my game purchases are Nintendo games. I have owned every Nintendo system ever released except for the Wii U. I am still on the edge about that one. As I get older, the time available to me to play games diminishes. I want games that I can just jump in and play and Nintendo is the one that delivers on that front. The only non-Nintendo systems I owned are Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3. PS3 was my least favorite. Games are just becoming so complicated and overdone. They have huge learning curves, have hours and hours of cutscenes to set the back story, its ridiculous. I can count on Nintendo to give me games that I can just jump and play. Thats is why my 3ds and select indie games on my PC are my source for entertainment. Wii U is tempting but a little to expensive still for the amount of use I would give it. Maybe next price drop I will give it another look.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Nope. I buy Nintendo consoles for first and third party exclusives.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I buy Nintendo consoles for first party games, although if the third party titles are good I buy them as well. For example I own Splinter Cell: Blacklist for Wii U even though I own an Xbox 360. After seeing the 360 version I decided the WII U version was more in line with what I wanted from the game.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Nintendo always gets the shittier version of multiplats, so no.

I rarely buy third party on my Nintendo systems.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

I buy them mostly for first party games but would like it if I didn't have to buy something else for third parties. Anyway I do buy them for third party games occasionally, for example may just end up buying the Wii U for Bayonetta 2 or the 3DS for Dragon Quest XI and did buy the Gamecube for Resident Evil and Super Mario.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Yes! Nintendo games aren't enough for me. Luckily the 3DS has awesome 3rd party games too.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#18  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I guess everybody buys them for the first-party games. The good/great third-party titles are just a nice little extra.

@TransformerRobo said:

Seriously, any mods or admins here who can help me? I need to change my vote to yes.

I don't think it is possible to change the vote.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

I have enjoyed a lot of third party games on Nintendo systems, but there has never been one that caused me to go out and buy the system, no, that has always been a few of the big first party titles.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

3rd party exclusives that look good, I'll grab

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

If it's a FPS or TPS then yes simply because of the Wiimote and Nunchuck setup. Otherwise, I'd have to look at what each version has to offer and make my decision based upon that.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I have to admit, first party is what does it. But I do pick up third party as well, but that's just "on the side". I'd be perfectly happy without it.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TransformerRobo

@trugs26 said:

I have to admit, first party is what does it. But I do pick up third party as well, but that's just "on the side". I'd be perfectly happy without it.

Now if only Nintendo would make much more first-party content.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

They were a plus, but I mostly bought 1st party games. My Gamecube in that generation got most of the multiplats AND the good 3rd party exclusives when I decided to buy them. If I was constantly buying Wii games, it probably would have been the same for that. I do have Black Ops for the Wii though, which is the only multiplatform game I got for it. I do the rest on my PC...

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@TransformerRobo said:

@trugs26 said:

Now if only Nintendo would make much more first-party content.

They make enough. Occasional dry spells, but for the most part, it's enough. For example, 2013 for Wii U was a dry spell, but 2014 looks like it will pick up. I'd say 1 in every 3 or 4 years there's a dry spell on a Nintendo system.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i buy both...usually 3rd party games on nintendo consoles are unique in some way.

but 1st party is the main reason.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Yes, which is why I still don't own a Wii U. But I do own a 3DS XL.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

3rd party is what got me invested this gen.

I specifically got a 3DS for Shin Megami Tensei.

( although, I bought-in...around the time of Castlevania) Soul Hackers and SMT:IV are two completely different games, yet in my favorite genre...and it's SMT.

I buy Nintendo for the RPGs it turns out.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I never buy consoles for 3rd party games. They need to have something that I can't get anywhere else(PDZ, Banjo Kazooie, Mario, Zelda, etc). I'll still buy 3rd party games for the consoles I get, but they're more like a bonus rather than a primary incentive.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30  Edited By haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

No, but if there's a good third party game on the platform I'll pick it up. Also, if the multiplatform version has a feature or is on-par with the others I'll also pick it up there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I did with the first / last Nintendo console I had ever owned. I did it with the Nintendo GameCube because at the time third party video games were all that interested me. I was a kid, so I missed out on a lot and never owned any first party video games on it except for Metroid Prime and I disliked it at the time, so I traded it in and hardly got anything for it. I missed out on many video games for the Nintendo GameCube whether they be first party or third party and that is something I will always regret, but money and lack of knowledge was the problem.

I wanted one specific third party title for the Nintendo GameCube and that was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, then from there I wanted mainly other Sonic the Hedgehog related video games; now I no longer like Sonic much, because the video games I did like I no longer like and I wish that Sega had made improvement to the Sonic the Hedgehog video games they had, which allowed free roaming; instead they keep trying to have him be controlled like a car. It be cool if they made a Sonic the Hedgehog video game similar to Super Mario 3D World, but allowed you to play as a large range of Sonic characters.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Third party exclusives, yes.