Curious, why is it still so hard to find a Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RandellG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RandellG
Member since 2006 • 311 Posts
People are going mad for them, putting them on Ebay and they are selling for a good $200 over retail, which of course is why I have one on there. I don't understand why Nintendo can't make more. Or am I just crazy?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Going on what you're asking I'll ask you this

Do you think Nintendo's speed making consoles in their plants is on "medium" and you're wondering why they don't switch to a speed higher then medium?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 Arkthemaniac
Member since 2007 • 1237 Posts

They're a fad. I'm not saying they aren't fun, since they are outrageously so, but people buy them and don't play them. Also, every kid in the inner planets wants one.

The shipping costs to mercury are balls, by the way.

RandellG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RandellG

Do you think Nintendo's speed making consoles in their plants is on "medium" and you're wondering why they don't switch to a speed higher then medium?

Jaysonguy
That would be funny, but no that's not what I meant. Well not in that way anyway. It just seems like they could get more machines or something.
RandellG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RandellG

They're a fad. I'm not saying they aren't fun, since they are outrageously so, but people buy them and don't play them. Also, every kid in the inner planets wants one.

Arkthemaniac
Speaking of shipping I don't know why Ebay people have shipping $20+ it only takes $10 to ship a Wii from central Louisiana to Beverly Hills (easiest zip to remember) and that's with a Zapper with it. I mean you pay $250 for the system and most sell for $400+ why you going to worry about shipping charges?
Cowmanik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cowmanik
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

Arkthemaniac
I wouldn't go so far as to say people don't play their Wiis but I think it's safe to say that people are content in renting Wii games and not buying them. The three best selling games for the Wii are Wii Sports sold 14 million (bundled in North America), Wii Play sold 7 million (bundled in Europe), and Zelda: Twilight Princess sold 4 million, Mario Galaxy should outsell Zelda soon. I still say those game sales are way too low considering the how many Wiis are out there.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

RandellG

That would be funny, but no that's not what I meant. Well not in that way anyway. It just seems like they could get more machines or something.

How though? That's the thing.

RandellG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RandellG
[QUOTE="RandellG"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

How though? That's the thing.

Don't really know. Make them while they sleep :p
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#9 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

I'm curious to. According to the black Friday sales, the Wii sales aren't that much higher than the 360. But Wii are alot cheaper to produce, so don't you think it would be easier to meet the demmand?

Icegoten200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Icegoten200
Member since 2005 • 595 Posts
Its all a matter of area and what store you go to. I see Wii's almost every Friday (The day I go shopping at WalMart)
Zapoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Zapoo
Member since 2003 • 156 Posts

so don't you think it would be easier to meet the demmand?

vashkey

Curently Nintendo's market price for the system is lower then the price the rest of the industry charges for their system. At this price consumer's are demanding a much higher amount then what Nintendo is able to supply them. If Nintendo originally introduced the system at a price of 350 or 400, there would not be a shortage of the system, and they might be able to lower the price down to 250 at this point in time.

Zapoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zapoo
O yeah and I wanted to mention that i got distracted by the fat kid in cowmanik's sig. I sure as hell hope it isn't a recording of the guy wasn't watching 2 girls and a cup. . .
JLAudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 JLAudio7
Member since 2007 • 2729 Posts

put simply demand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>supply.

meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

Wii play is not bundled with any wii system.It's a ten dollar game with controller. Wii sports is bundled for wiis in every region except Japan.

Wii games on average drastically outsell PS3 games.

Oh and wiis are going for 600 dollars console alone on ebay now. UK auction sites are also selling wiis at twice retail. Japan may see online prics of wii drastically rise since demand is increasing both due to time of year and wii fit release which sold over a quarter of million units in one week.

actionquake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 actionquake
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

I'm curious to. According to the black Friday sales, the Wii sales aren't that much higher than the 360. But Wii are alot cheaper to produce, so don't you think it would be easier to meet the demmand?

vashkey

The Wii's sales over Black Friday were supply constrained, just as they have been all year. Microsoft have been able to stockpile supply over the summer months, Nintendo haven't.

PumaHiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PumaHiss
Member since 2004 • 128 Posts

I just sent them an email about this subject. There currently is no known reasoning for the shortages outside of Nintendo, no chip shortages etc. Here is what they sent me.

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been unable to acquire a Wii console. Since the console's launch last November, we have been forced to scale up its production again and again in an effort to meet the worldwide demand. This has resulted in unprecedented sales numbers, where each month we sell anywhere between two to five consoles for each one sold by our competition.

It's a sign that we are achieving our goal of creating a product with appeal beyond the typical user base of video game aficionados to those who don't play or who stopped playing years ago. As a result, even with hundreds of thousands of new Wii consoles shipping monthly we're not yet to the point where consumers can walk into a store at any time of day and find Wii consoles sitting on the shelf.

That said, I want to reiterate that we continue to ship as much product as possible, so I encourage you to continue your efforts. If you haven't yet done so, please check the Where To Buy section of our website (http://www.nintendo.com/). I've provided a direct link below:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/retail/index.jsp#newproduct

Despite what some might say, there is no benefit to not having enough stock to meet demand. On behalf of Nintendo, I empathize with and appreciate your frustration.

Thanks for your email!

Nintendo of America Inc.
Andrea Blakeman

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

peterwantspie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 peterwantspie
Member since 2004 • 214 Posts

I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony. I'd like to buy the world a Wii, and play it merrily.

It honestly saddens me that theres such a low supply of Wii's, because if folks cant get one they might get a PS3 or Vbox instead. Not that they're bad consoles, but if everyone has them it means the Wii might die, which I don't want happening.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
It takes time to make hardware that doesn't break and get DRE all the time, would you prefer Nintendo flood the market with faulty hardware? If people really want a Wii you need to either try harder and beat the ebayers to the shop or else pay their ridiculous prices, sorry a years worth of complaining is more than enough...
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts
You wanna know why it's so hard to find a Wii, because greedy ass monkeys nab the Wii's off store shelves and sell them on EBay. Just from one quick look I know that there are currently over 20,000 consoles up on there. There's your problem.
PumaHiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PumaHiss

You wanna know why it's so hard to find a Wii, because greedy ass monkeys nab the Wii's off store shelves and sell them on EBay. Just from one quick look I know that there are currently over 20,000 consoles up on there. There's your problem.ozzsoad

I agree that is a large part of the problem. The other big problem I have run into when trying to acquire a Wii is I can find them in stores, but the ones I have found are in-store package deals that range in price from $550.00-$650.00. The stores themselves have realized that packaging the Wii with 5 games that normally don't sell well is a sure fire recipe for easy money on their part. The stores have not allowed me to just purchase the Wii itself. I blame Nintendo for allowing this practice on the retail end.

Zapoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zapoo
Was there a point to you e-mailing nintendo? Did you think they were going to feelsorry for you and direct ship you a wii? They said the same thing that we've been saying demand>supply
PumaHiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PumaHiss

Was there a point to you e-mailing nintendo? Did you think they were going to feelsorry for you and direct ship you a wii? They said the same thing that we've been saying demand>supplyZapoo

Yes there is a point in having contact with the people who actually have something to do with their product. They can answer questions and give feedback to me as to other alternatives to purchase, which they did. If you only knew how much in free stuff I have recieved from companies by simply communicating with them you probably would understand this better. But I suggest you continue on with being a forum troll and see how far that gets you in life.

Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
I think it is crazy that you can't seem to find one anywhere. I mean it is not like there are that many good games on the console. Don't get me wrong the ones I have I thoroughly enjoy but they are so few and far in between.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

The Wii shortage is especially humorous to me. A year ago when I pre-ordered my Wii my friends and family members gave me **** about it constantly. "Why are you doing that, its just going to be another failure like the Gamecube. You know you can just walk in and buy one anytime, its a POS that won't sell at all". etc. etc. etc...

Look what happens a year later :)

fraz1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 fraz1776
Member since 2006 • 2269 Posts

They are making something like 1.8 million Wii's a month which is a lot.

It's also coming up to xmas hence Wii's are still selling loads.

rees263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rees263
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

The Wii shortage is especially humorous to me. A year ago when I pre-ordered my Wii my friends and family members gave me **** about it constantly. "Why are you doing that, its just going to be another failure like the Gamecube. You know you can just walk in and buy one anytime, its a POS that won't sell at all". etc. etc. etc...

Look what happens a year later :)

Fredrick2003x

I know what you mean, I was waiting for the Wii since 2005 (incidently that's also when I started waiting for SSBB :evil: ), and got my preorder in nice and early before they got hyped up.

I've also considered putting my wii on ebay and buying one after christmas when demand is down -kerching!!! But then I thought I'd rather keep it and laugh at people who didn't have one :P.

I managed to order my friend a Wii only a couple of weeks ago though - there were a lot of people saying that you could order one from the german amazon at retail price, and sure enough it arrived not long afterwards. Even better, aside from the adaptor it's identical to the UK Wii.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

The simplest explanation is usually the correct one. No one, not even Nintendo, expected the Wii to be as popular as it is. Earlier this year they were only making 1 million a month, now they're stamping out almost twice that amount. People are buying them up fast. If there's only 20,000 Wiis for sale on ebay, that means more than 99% of them are not being put on ebay.

flintgijoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 flintgijoe
Member since 2004 • 1954 Posts

Arkthemaniac

So, so true. People that come to my house and play Wii sports are sold instantly. They leave saying, where can I buy one. And I'm not talking about kids. I'm talking about people in their 50's, and some reletives in their 30's. They have a blast for about 10-15 minutes, and don't realise that is about all those games offer.

Wii is the best console people will never play. This is reflected in the poor attach rates.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aransom

People have been saying the Wii is just a fad for more than a year. The Wii's supposed crash is always just around the corner.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

In all honesty, I think it's **** There were zero supply > demand here in Portugal. I pre-ordered my Wii but since the release I never found an electronic store without a Wii to sell immediately. I don't believe Nintendo is that dumb to not delivery the number of consoles each country demand.

In contrast, you can't find a Xbox Elite here no matter what, since all the consoles are pre-ordered pretty much until next March.

WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

In all honesty, I think it's **** There were zero supply > demand here in Portugal. I pre-ordered my Wii but since the release I never found an electronic store without a Wii to sell immediately. I don't believe Nintendo is that dumb to not delivery the number of consoles each country demand.

In contrast, you can't find a Xbox Elite here no matter what, since all the consoles are pre-ordered pretty much until next March.

romainsimoni

I think a lot just depends on where you live. Here in the Dallas area, Wiis are always in short supply. They're not impossible to get if you're persistent (calling around to different stores in the area at times when they might be getting shipments), but you're not likely to just randomly walk past an electronicssection in a major store or mall electronics store and find a Wii sitting on the shelf. Although I did get mine that way, I just happened to have lucky timing. I wasn't going out of my way to find a Wii, but whenever I had to go to Wal-Mart for something I'd just walk by and see if they had any. One evening last March I happened to do that about 30 minutes after they had unloaded a truck containing a shipment of 10 of them (according to the employee). After I got mine there were 2 left, and I assume those went quickly as well.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aransom

romainsimoni
I'm not trying to dump on Portugal, butit's a pretty small slice of the videogame market, so Nintendo can easily meet demand there. For the North America market, Nintendo planned to make so many Wiis, and it wasn't enough. They've increased the amount they're making, but it's still not enough.