Bravely Default: Demo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

Just downloaded it (1867 blocks ~233mb).

It...feels like a legit return of Final Fantasy...lots of classes to figure out & mix(!), art-style & effects, orchestral music, turn-based//random encounters, fixed camera, I've entered two caves & died on the first round of battle. This game was already a pre-order, but now I can believe it.

I almost didn't want to get the demo, and let the game give a full initial impression...but I couldn't help myself.

There are no spoilers to the demo, it's more just a few simple item-quests and town/world-map run. Experience doesn't transfer, yet some items and streetpass stuff does. I may just leave it at a 1-time play and wait for the real thing now.

...anyway, the demo is out now.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I almost forgot! Thanks for the heads up! I'm downloading it right now. :D

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Totally forgot about this. Thanks! Looking forward to playing it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

bravely default has the best battle victory tune ever. just sayin is all. :)

I have the full game. good game. well worth a play. the bravely/default system certainly adds an interesting twist to the battles.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

I've owned this game since the european launch, but I've only played it for around 2-3 hours. Don't know why, I just can't get the motivation!

--Thomas--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 --Thomas--
Member since 2009 • 920 Posts

I'm playing the full game right now. Its Final Fantasy influences are quite obvious, but I like it a lot so far.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've got it preordered. I never download demos of games simply because I don't like having sections of gameplay spoiled for me. Instead, I do research online to find out what its strengths and weaknesses are. And Bravely Default looks to be right up my alley, hence the preorder.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

I've got it preordered. I never download demos of games simply because I don't like having sections of gameplay spoiled for me. Instead, I do research online to find out what its strengths and weaknesses are. And Bravely Default looks to be right up my alley, hence the preorder.

Except that the demo has nothing to do with the game and rewards you with exclusive content.

So you're going to want to research more

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I love this game. I thought it was going to be a call back to traditional JRPGs, which it is, but I didn't realize how smartly designed it would be.

They basically removed all of the arbitrary, annoying hurdles of those games and added all of the things you always wanted but never got. Maybe the story progression still has some dumb parts, I don't know, but the core design of the combat and job systems is pretty awesome.

I was planning on buying this game when it came out but wasn't too excited about it.... now I can't wait.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I got the demo, but have yet to get around to playing it. Loving Ys Origin too much to bother with it right now. I will check it out before I buy the game though.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

The demo is awesome. I love the job system and the Brave/Default mechanics are a nice touch. I just wish I lived in a more "lively" area so I could Streetpass. My area is barren of Streetpass players.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Well I sucked at the game because I didn't get a grip of the battle system and died two battles in.

And those graphics are so... awful.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JordanElek

@Blabadon said:

Well I sucked at the game because I didn't get a grip of the battle system and died two battles in.

And those graphics are so... awful.

Going into the city side view for the first time was really jarring, but I think the rest of the game looks great. The throne room and battle screens look awesome, mostly due to the great 3D effect. The overworld and dungeons look fine. The low res city looks bad, but I guess they really wanted to be able to pull the camera out to show the whole thing at once, which probably wouldn't have been possible with higher res textures.

The demo throws you in with a lot of options off the bat, but your characters are all classless and next to naked. Once you take a few minutes to set up their classes and abilities and equip them sufficiently, the initial battles should be a breeze.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

The demo is pretty good, I like how it has the old school rpg feel tho it has something fresh in the mix. The text is however pretty small. Still playing to get the rest of the exclusive content i can pass on to the official title.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

This game is already out in my country. I just downloaded the demo just now, and played for 1 hour. Got to level 4. I liked how I was getting my ass handed to me immediately lol. Had to go back and actually think about my items, etc.

I might actually go buy this on the weekend :) Got a good and addicting vibe from the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I tried the demo the other night, but I lost interest pretty quickly. The graphics are o-k, but they really don't look much different than what I'd seen in Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light on the DS. The first couple minutes of the demo, I was relentlessly attacked by pop-up instructions. That wasn't a good start, in my book. Then the game wanted me to go get quests from people, but tbh, I'm really not in the mood for doing quests and I just wanted to go see how the battle system was.

I class changed all of the freelancers to something else - a black mage, white mage, performer and a ninja, I believe. I equipped everyone as best I could with their default weapons, and proceeded. Little did I realize, you also have to equip your magic and abilities at that point, which I had forgotten to do.

I went into a battle and fought two giant worm things in the desert. The battle screen looks, imho, kind of awful. It scrunches all four characters together on the right side of the screen, overlapping them and making them look like a sideways human centipede. The characters are not all spaced out like in most other FF games, and the camera doesn't constantly move around. So you get the same angle of them 90% of the time, huddled together in a line.

Since I forgot to equip magic, my white mage and black mage were nearly worthless, and I don't know what the performer's weapon of choice is but it sure shouldn't be a broadsword. The ninja was the only really useful class in that situation, and did impress with a flurry of katana slices. Everyone in my party got poisoned by the worms, and at the end of the battle only my black mage remained standing. I just felt kind of bored by it all. And quite honestly, I guess I was expecting something much better with all of the hype surrounding this game.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JordanElek

@Ovirew: You played one battle with a gimped team and decided you were bored? Equip everyone properly and go back to it, leveling up at least one job class, then you'll be able to make a clear judgment about it.

If you don't like JRPGs, then you won't like Bravely Default. But I think if you like them at all, you should give it more of a chance.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Are the items you can carry over any good? I've been hearing mixed things.

Haven't jumped into the demo yet myself, but I'm curious if it's worth sticking with for those items.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@JordanElek:

I love RPGs, but... Idk, the brief time I spent with the demo really wasn't impressing me. Maybe I will go back and give it a second look, and maybe I'll see if the 3D adds anything to battles since I seem to recall I had it turned off last time. But just because you like one RPG doesn't mean you will like all of them.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

just went through the whole thing. i absolutely adored it. the job system reminded me of final fantasy tactics advance (another game i love), the combat system took some getting used to, but after learning the shortcuts to brave and default, and getting some nice class combos going on (swordmaster/knight and red mage/ninja are really fun), it was the most fun i've had with turn based combat in a long, LONG time. and the best part is that if you just want to grind or are in a hurry between places, you can breeze through fights against weaker mobs, so while the combat is deep and strategic, it's flexible enough that you can just steamroll the irrelevant stuff without cololateral damage (radiant historia, i'm looking at you)

my only annoyance was the time gated stuff on that village you can build yourself. thankfully, the demo has an exploit that lets you easily get as many villagers as you need (i stopped at 20), so i managed to build most of the stuff i wanted, enough to give me good gear to fight the dragon boss at the end. i don't think i'll ever streetpass a person that actually has the game, so transferring villagers from the demo is a godsend.

OH and i HATE how a party member won't get exp if it's dead. i just hate when JRPGs do it (and only JRPGs do it). it's like, i'm owning this boss, then he kills one of my characters on his barrage, and because of the turn order, i kill the boss before the character is resurrected. had to redo the minotaur like 3 times before i got all 4 members through, and not because i was having a hard time.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JordanElek

@Ovirew said:

@JordanElek:

I love RPGs, but... Idk, the brief time I spent with the demo really wasn't impressing me. Maybe I will go back and give it a second look, and maybe I'll see if the 3D adds anything to battles since I seem to recall I had it turned off last time. But just because you like one RPG doesn't mean you will like all of them.

The 3D effect adds a lot to everything. The battles are multilayered and look awesome. When I first saw screens and even footage of the battles in this game, I thought they looked really awkward, too. But when I saw them on my own 3DS in full 3D, I thought they looked great.

Go back to the throne room in 3D, too. That place is particularly impressive. It makes me really excited to see the environments in the full game.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Is anyone going to get the Collector's Edition? It does not seem worth it to me, not for $15 extra.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#23 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@Sora278: This feels like a complete package, the Collectors edition. I'm digging the real-extras, and the AR cards are intriguing.

I hate to say it, but-also, maybe if S~E notices a fanbase for the oldstyle, they may still drive the FF~franchise in the right direction...so I'll be voting in that regard. (They didn't skip a beat for the DS... ...4:Heroes was a very solid game despite the cutesy factor.)

This demo is still delivering...I'm now left wondering if the demo transfer-stuff, transfers to the cart, or just the downloaded version.

Either way, this game has a lot of promise for the RPG genre...something the 3DS is currently lacking a tad.

@BrunoBRS said:

...OH and i HATE how a party member won't get exp if it's dead. i just hate when JRPGs do it....

This is the worst feeling possible when defeating a boss...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#24 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@gargungulunk: the sole reason I'm anticipating BD so much is because 4 Heroes of Light was so solid. It had quite a few flaws, but the job system was awesome. I'm hoping BD improves upon the foundation established with 4 Heroes.

Also hell yeah, colelctor's edition FTW. It's released February 7th around where I live. Can't wait.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Seems like a really sweet game, judging by the demo. Pretty graphics and complex gameplay. A bit too complex for me right now, as I'm still a Monster Hunter junkie. I can only take one big ass game at a time.