Are we too eager for Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games? Why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

Why? Why are we, as Nintendo fans, so addicted to their games?

If you look at the world map, you'd see that most people are either X-Box One or PS4. (Note, for God's sakes this is not a System wars like topic, don't make it as such >.<)

So, what is it that the other console players play and see that we as Nintendo fans refuse to see?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I grew up with Nintendo, so I'll always have sort of an allegiance to their products and games. But I game on the other consoles as well. I'm a gamer first before anything else. I just happen to love Nintendo games and products.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

What are you trying to say excatly? Why do we like Nintendo games? Why don't we? Why don't more people?

I've been playing Nintendo games and consoles since I was in kindergarden. (Even before then.) Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong and Pokemon were some of my very first games on the N64. Even to this day I like those N64 and other old games beter than I do most games these days. Some could argue it's because of nostalgia, but they were just good games.

Years later I'll admit I got a bit tired of Nintendo's games. I had never played a FPS game before. (Besides Turok 2 on N64) The original Bioshock was freaking awesome. I loved it. So I got into those mature titles for a while....Then a few years later, I got bored with them. They started to become more of the same. Gameplay felt like I've played it before. It started to feel like they were just tacking the violence in to make them feel more "mature". Plus most other games weren't my cup of tea.

Even after all this time, Nintendo games still get me hyped. Even though I've played a Mario game a million times I can still get excited for the next one. Why? Because they're good games. I love those series. Each entry feels familiar, yet...Different...Anyone who has played enough Nintendo games should know EXCATLY what I'm talking about.

I'm not exclusive to Nintendo, I enjoy other consoles and games. I'll admit that in a flash. But Nintendo games come first. Everything else is secondary. Consoles included.

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -2

#4  Edited By ail_taco
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

@pikachudude860: (this)

I play their games, however i refuse to drink their koolaid meaning i wont love every decision they make

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's mostly nostalgia that fuels them

Look at the Pikachu guy up there, he's been playing with Nintendo since he's been in kindergarten, typical fanboy. So he equates Nintendo to that feeling of being little, life was easy. That actually explains a lot about his posting.

Nintendo also does a good job at dumbing down their customers so they never go looking elsewhere for things. It's like what Apple does for it's users.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Look at the Pikachu guy up there, he's been playing with Nintendo since he's been in kindergarten, typical fanboy. So he equates Nintendo to that feeling of being little, life was easy. That actually explains a lot about his posting.

Oh come on, Jayson. I get that you like starting arguments and getting people all butthurt, but this is just sad. Have some catnip and chill.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@Jaysonguy: Says the kitten. lol.

I'll admit that I have nostalgia, but I'm not one of those gamers from the NES/SNES days. Those guys have the most nostalgia. Although the Nintendo games these days are similar in a few ways, there not the same as back in the day.

I still play Nintendo's games for the same reason I still watch Cartoons from Cartoon Network, Nick and Disney. Because I really like them and not much else interests me.

In other words, I play games because their fun, not for nostalgia.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

No. Why have a system that has gimped 3rd party games, and 40,000 different mario games?

On a serious note, I really like the Wii-U, the execution was poor tho. Still no Wii-U Zelda..... I will buy one once I can get Smash Bros., Zelda Wii-U, and Star Fox. Mario Kart 8 is really good too.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@outworld222 said:

Why? Why are we, as Nintendo fans, so addicted to their games?

Nintendo's games tend to be very well designed. Nostalgia does play a part, as it does with favorable memories of any product line, whether it be cars, games, or etc. I don't think everyone looks at each game they put out as better than the last(at least I don't). For example, I feel that the Mario Galaxy series mops the floor with 3D World and that Skyward Sword can't touch Twilight Princess. We are, however, excited for the next entries because of the entertainment quality we've come to expect.

So, what is it that the other console players play and see that we as Nintendo fans refuse to see?

I'm not sure what you mean. As a multiplatform gamer, I see everything. I see what Nintendo has done better than others, along with what they could benefit from. I don't think anyone here confines themselves to just Nintendo games. If you do that, you're missing out on a lot.

Are we too eager for Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games? Why?

Going back to my first response, we've come to expect high quality, fun experiences out of them. In the Wii U's case, those are pretty much the only AAA games we're getting for it....unfortunately.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I dunno about you guys, but I get very little nostalgia from Nintendo games, despite how long I've been playing Nintendo games. I mean there are the odd moments, but for the most part, I hardly ever get a sentimental feeling or longing for the past. These events are quite rare and are usually invoked by music or photos if anything, because they are explicitly the same thing that happened during my childhood (i.e the song or photo does not change, so it has a strong effect of reminding me). But when I play Mario Galaxy, it doesn't look like Mario Bros. from the NES or SNES at all. Same goes for the New! games. It needs to be a lot more similar to invoke nostalgia. Sure there is Virtual Console, which I can see invoking nostalgia. But let's be honest, I rarely play these games, and I'm really here for new Nintendo games - as this thread is about.

I feel like the nostalgia card gets thrown around a lot (especially regarding Nintendo). But honestly, I really doubt that real nostalgia happens as often as people like @Jaysonguy make it out to be. I think they might just mean a fanboy-ish allegiance to a company from your childhood (or just a long time in general), which has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I equate Nintendo games with being simply fun to play. Nintendo doesn't forget that they are creating a game to be played and to entertain the player. And they design their games to reflect that. Their game play IS the main draw of the game. I find many other games have cool stories, or characters, or locations, but the game play is ho-hum.

I feel like today's AAA games look to create an experience. Some of these experiences are fun. Some are fun just the first time. Some are never actually fun, yet they are interesting and they make the player want to see what's next. And these games are fine, I play them, too. But with Nintendo games, I'll know I'm going to have fun actually playing the game, with the sometimes bonus of a charming story with unique characters (for the few Nintendo games that have a narrative). And that suits my gaming tastes just fine.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

It is a fallacious assumption that Nintendo 'fans' only play Nintendo games, but by all means if you want to attract fanboy responses by collectively grouping all Nintendo gamers into a rabid, biased fanbase that let thier emotional attachments overule logic then you're set in good stead.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I like PS and Nintendo... both consoles provide me, all the video game entertainment i need. The PS provide the modern day/realism action games I enjoy ( Batman, God Of War, Infamous, Uncharted, GTA) and then i also enjoy Nintendo for their strengths, which is FUN, entertaining platforming/puzzle/action games with a more cartoonish/ creative vision. (Mario, DK, Shovel Knight, Wii SPorts, ETC) As why as why do I like like Nintendo 1st party games, it's because they are fun. I can play them with "the whole family" if you will. (well, nephews/fiance) They are fun, and provide a great alternative to the "realism" of PS/Xbox, where you don't always need the greatest graphics, and blood/action to be a great game... It just needs to be fun, see Shovel Knight.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@The-Butcher248 said:

Shovel Knight.

That's also for the PC and will be on the other consoles soon.