Apparently, Wii U has flash drive compatibility issues...

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

So I recently picked up a stealth Kingston 32gb flash drive for Wii U because i finally ran out of space. And the first disc based game i've played since installing it, need for speed, had insane amounts of frame stuttering since I transferred the update and save data from the wii u's internal flash to the drive.

I wanted to see if it was just that game so I tried Pikmin 3 and sure enough, the menu screen had sound skipping all over the place. Gameplay seemed okay but not as responsive either. Anyways, i transferred those games back to the internal memory and everything went back to normal.

I'll see how games run when they're completely on the drive, meaning DL games later but i'll have to contact Nintendo for drive recommendations later, smh.

Maybe it wasn't worth it to save $50 or so by getting the 8gb Wii U :p

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I would say to check on the DL'ed games and see how that works. I can understand the Wii U sputtering if it has to constantly check the external drive. That's adding to it's work load.

I'm interested in buying some sort of external drive as well, so I'm curious to see how that works out for you. Maybe a powered external drive is the way to go (as Nintendo recommends).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@Grieverr: I checked Wind Waker HD, and it did have some stuttering when sweeping the camera or sailing, which wasn't there when I transferred it back over. I formatted the drive and am sending it back now, The only game I can't play now is pushmo world since I don't have the space, but that's no big deal :p

I should be good til' later this year and that's when i'll ask Nintendo what drive to get, yeah I might have to shell out for a wall powered ext. hard drive unfortunately...

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

@Chozofication said:

So I recently picked up a stealth Kingston 32gb flash drive for Wii U because i finally ran out of space. And the first disc based game i've played since installing it, need for speed, had insane amounts of frame stuttering since I transferred the update and save data from the wii u's internal flash to the drive.

I wanted to see if it was just that game so I tried Pikmin 3 and sure enough, the menu screen had sound skipping all over the place. Gameplay seemed okay but not as responsive either. Anyways, i transferred those games back to the internal memory and everything went back to normal.

I'll see how games run when they're completely on the drive, meaning DL games later but i'll have to contact Nintendo for drive recommendations later, smh.

At the time of launch I got the 8gb WiiU and spent that extra $50 on a 320gb USB hard drive. I haven't noticed any problems and most my library is digital.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@DaBrainz said:

@Chozofication said:

At the time of launch I got the 8gb WiiU and spent that extra $50 on a 320gb USB hard drive. I haven't noticed any problems and most my library is digital.

Does the drive have its own power supply?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i bought the 8GB also... got a western digital 500GB with ac adaptor...no stuttering at all.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Odd. I use a sandisk cruzer fit for my Wii U and haven't had any issues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

Odd. I use a sandisk cruzer fit for my Wii U and haven't had any issues.

Actually I saw you post that before so I thought it'd be nice to get one of those small drives, maybe either I got a bad drive or that particular kind of drive is the issue.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Flash drives are a hit or miss for the Wii U.

Here's Nintendo's recommended list of HDD.

USB-Powered portable drives are the second best option if you lack the space or money for a dedicated-powered drive. You will need a Y-cable to ensure optimum performance. I haven't had any problems with my 1TB WD My Passport drive.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YearoftheSnake5

@Chozofication said:

Actually I saw you post that before so I thought it'd be nice to get one of those small drives, maybe either I got a bad drive or that particular kind of drive is the issue.

I'm not sure what the issue would be. Both of those are possibilities. I didn't think flash drives would have compatibility problems. Put a movie on the drive and see if it stutters on your PC.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I think Nintendo needs to come up with a better solution for the Wii U Hard Drive space. I get that i can go out and buy a 1 or 2 TB hard drive, like they recommend on their page, but I don't want to shell out another 100$ to pay for more Eshop games. So let's say i get a new 100$ hard drive... and i play my Wii U a lot....potentially that could shorten the life/fry and the external hard drive, as it's constantly turning on/off.

Or if you look at it like the PS4 with a 500 GB HD or the Wii U with a 32 GB ,and you might need to get a 100 HD on top of that.

I just think nintendo needs to come up with an internal storage upgrade to increase the size to say 120 GB, much like their game pad extended battery. Or some sort of small/external flash drive that runs with the WIi U. It doesn't make sense to have sort a small HD, but then put tons of money into a digital campaign, with lots of digital exclusive titles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@YearoftheSnake5: Well I already took it back but that would've been a good idea for curiosity's sake :p It could've been either one of those things, or it just wasn't fast enough, who know's.

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Flash drives are a hit or miss for the Wii U.

Here's Nintendo's recommended list of HDD.

USB-Powered portable drives are the second best option if you lack the space or money for a dedicated-powered drive. You will need a Y-cable to ensure optimum performance. I haven't had any problems with my 1TB WD My Passport drive.

Ah.. I read that and the FAQ, so it looks like i'll be getting one of these down the line just to be safe. Maybe i'll end up needing all that space anyways.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
@The-Butcher248 said:

I think Nintendo needs to come up with a better solution for the Wii U Hard Drive space. I get that i can go out and buy a 1 or 2 TB hard drive, like they recommend on their page, but I don't want to shell out another 100$ to pay for more Eshop games. So let's say i get a new 100$ hard drive... and i play my Wii U a lot....potentially that could shorten the life/fry and the external hard drive, as it's constantly turning on/off.

Or if you look at it like the PS4 with a 500 GB HD or the Wii U with a 32 GB ,and you might need to get a 100 HD on top of that.

I just think nintendo needs to come up with an internal storage upgrade to increase the size to say 120 GB, much like their game pad extended battery. Or some sort of small/external flash drive that runs with the WIi U. It doesn't make sense to have sort a small HD, but then put tons of money into a digital campaign, with lots of digital exclusive titles.

The 8gb model is ridiculously limited on space, it has less than 4GB's usable. It would've been good for the basic to have at least 16gb's and then the deluxe 64.

The only thing they can do now is stick more of that internal into the later models.

YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 YearoftheSnake5

@Chozofication said:

The 8gb model is ridiculously limited on space, it has less than 4GB's usable. It would've been good for the basic to have at least 16gb's and then the deluxe 64.

The only thing they can do now is stick more of that internal into the later models.

It would have been nice if the Wii U included a 2.5in drive bay for the sake of user expansion. They could have kept the flash memory on board and left the drive bay empty. Would've saved us the issue of finding compatible external HDDs. Nintendo would have needed to make the system a tad fatter to accommodate this. *sigh* One can wish and dream.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@Chozofication said:

It would have been nice if the Wii U included a 2.5in drive bay for the sake of user expansion. They could have kept the flash memory on board and left the drive bay empty. Would've saved us the issue of finding compatible external HDDs. Nintendo would have needed to make the system a tad fatter to accommodate this. *sigh* One can wish and dream.

Yeah, i love that about the ps3, plus if it had the option to fully install games like the 360 it would've been perfect.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

Just curious, but what are you doing to warrant the use of any external storage? Why install games?

TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

I wouldn't use USB flash drives to save entire games, it won't work, as you just experienced. As for me I save my games to a USB powered HD connected to a USB hub, which you can pick up for $20 bucks. It works great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@YoshiYogurt said:

Just curious, but what are you doing to warrant the use of any external storage? Why install games?

Because the 8gb wii u has a ridiculously low amount of usable memory. And I don't even buy full retail games on the eshop, but the people who do HAVE to get some external memory, even if they have the 32 gb wii u.

Pikmin has almost a gig of update data with the dlc, Wii u doesn't have small game patches by any measure.

You can't install disc based games on wii u, but i did have a large amount of update and save data on the drive i was using and that alone caused the problems.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

Yea 8GB was a bad choice to use or buy. Shoulda got the deluxe one.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@Chozofication: There is a plus side to the insane sizes of the WiiU patches and DLC. You know you're actually buying new content instead of just buying a 30mb key to unlock stuff already on the disc.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

My cousin and I were discussing this the other day. The consensus was to get one of the setups that Animeguy suggested with the Y cable. At least that is my plan when I start going heavier into digital.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Funny enough i just ordered another flash drive to try yesterday, because i really don't want to spring for a hd since i know the space will go unused. UNLESS nintendo updates wii u by letting us install disc games ala 360, but alas...

I'll update when it comes in.

William151190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By William151190
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034: do you use a y cable with your wd passport?

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Flash drives aren't recommended for the Wii U, but people do it. I use a 2TB drive with an AC adapter for $80. I'd rather not have to worry about space or compatibility. And I download everything since I get the DDP points and I never sell my games. It adds up.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@william151190: Yes, I do. No problems at all.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Flash Drives usually do not transfer data as fast as HDD do thus the reason for the stuttering you're experiencing. There are some Class 10 (I believe) SD cards that do. The problem with that is, the WiiU only uses SD cards for Wii Mode.

I had to buy a WD My Passport 500GB and a Y cable. It's working fine. I just wish it didn't take 2 ports.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

USB flash drives have slow sequential read and write speeds, especially usb 2.0 ones. If you purchased a fast usb 3.0 flash drive(even though it will operate at 2.0 speeds) it will reach nearly 40 MB/s.

Your average usb 2.0 drive does around 15 MB/s which is too slow, hence your stuttering.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@nini200 said:

Flash Drives usually do not transfer data as fast as HDD do thus the reason for the stuttering you're experiencing. There are some Class 10 (I believe) SD cards that do. The problem with that is, the WiiU only uses SD cards for Wii Mode.

I had to buy a WD My Passport 500GB and a Y cable. It's working fine. I just wish it didn't take 2 ports.

Could you use a splitter on that? So the 2 slots feed into 1? I was wondering about that too with the usb slots.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@nini200 said:

Could you use a splitter on that? So the 2 slots feed into 1? I was wondering about that too with the usb slots.

Not without some sort of amplifier I'm guessing. It would be nice though. I'll have to research that and see. I'd surely buy it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

USB flash drives have slow sequential read and write speeds, especially usb 2.0 ones. If you purchased a fast usb 3.0 flash drive(even though it will operate at 2.0 speeds) it will reach nearly 40 MB/s.

Your average usb 2.0 drive does around 15 MB/s which is too slow, hence your stuttering.

Yeah but that is not much slower than Wii U's disc drive, which should be at 22.5 Mb/s..

I wonder what Wii U's internal flash is at.

My second drive came today but i'm at work now.. if it has problems I'll get a wall powered HDD. It's also a stealth drive because I don't want a regular drive sticking out all the time, maybe it'll work out.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

I had a wdmybook without no y cable it was USB 2.0 but for some reason it stopped working now I have to find a y cable because the only drives WalMart has now are 3.0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Welp... sure enough, i've ran into the same problems as before. I tested some games which I hadn't on the other drive first, the first being Nano assault and every other load had issues. The game took almost twice as long to boot from the menu, and there was stuttering when getting to the end of levels, and once when it was loading a boss I actually thought it froze but it was just a long stutter..

I quickly checked pikmin and NFS and the same issue came up immediately on NFS, though Pikmin ran fine the first time, but the second time I ran into the same issues.

It must just be a speed issue, because this is a different drive than the first one I checked. It's odd that these issues appear every other load sometimes though and not all the time.. except on Need for speed which is open world which is probably why it has the most trouble.

---

Anyways, don't use a flash drive with your Wii U :(

Time to get a Hard drive!

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

It is a shame Nintendo chose to not bother including a USB 3.0 port or even let Wii U games be installed on an SD card (perhaps they could add SD support in the future). If Nintendo ever does a Wii U redesign, they should include at least one USB 3.0 port (and perhaps and ethernet cable slot while they're at it.)