A wild Nintendo Direct appeared! Mario Kart 8 info!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well I had no idea about this. Just came out of nowhere. A Nintendo Direct with tonnes of Mario Kart 8 info.

Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbuJZP0_8iQ

Or here:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-30-2014/#/video-ndirect

I'm in the middle of watching it now, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up, since this was quite random.

Are you hyped for MK8 yet?!

Edit: Holy moly, what a deal:

In the Bundle is Deluxe Wii U with gamepad, MK8, Mario themed Wii Mote, Wii Wheel. You also get a free game of your choosing from the four games on the right. All for US$330. That's a good deal imo.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

yup..better video than the other one - Reggie & 2 guys. The slow mo bit just making fun of those real car racing game...which is funny imo. The only thing I notice was no fur effect on Donkey Kong tho :( ..Mario moustache moves :p. Less of Iwata appearance is good too. Already posted by nintendoboy in SW

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trugs26

@superbuuman said:

yup..better video than the other one - Reggie & 2 guys. The slow mo bit just making fun of those real car racing game...which is funny imo. The only thing I notice was no fur effect on Donkey Kong tho :( ..Mario moustache moves :p. Less of Iwata appearance is good too. Already posted by nintendoboy in SW

I enjoyed that video too :P Also, doesn't matter if it was posted in SW. That's a different place. It has a place in the Nintendo Forum too.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Only thing missing is a MK8 collector's edition game. I'd enjoy one of those immensely, even if it just came with a nice box and art book.

moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

I was gonna get this day 1 anyway but a free copy of NSMBU (already got the other three) along with it is nice!

Btw, did you guys see that new Rainbow Road?! :O

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Wow that's a good bundle. That'll move some units!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I'd say it's about 50-55 dollars too much

If that was 275 that would be good, even 285-290 would be passable.

That's just too much for that bundle, it's going to be another SKU that stores are going to discount just to move inventory.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

That's just too much for that bundle, it's going to be another SKU that stores are going to discount just to move inventory.

After tax and with all the free stuff it's roughly $190, if you were going to buy mk anyway that's dirt cheap. Maybe you don't need an extra wii mote but they don't last forever either..

If somebody wants everything this bundle offers it's great.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@Chozofication said:

@Jaysonguy said:

After tax and with all the free stuff it's roughly $190, if you were going to buy mk anyway that's dirt cheap. Maybe you don't need an extra wii mote but they don't last forever either..

If somebody wants everything this bundle offers it's great.

No, you're still spending 330. And the Wiimote is useless for the most part outside of Mario Kart unless you have the nunchuk so there's another 20.

That 330-350 price tag means that it's now 100-150 dollars more than consoles that are getting more titles even today than the Wii U and worse yet it's only 50-70 dollars away from one of the next gen consoles.

This will sell to people who want Mario Kart and nothing else, for the vast majority it's going to be the WindWaker bundle all over. There's going to be this bundle stacked against next gen consoles that can play all the multiplats, strong first party library, and have all the media and social features.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@trugs26: anything other than Mario Kart on display? If not, I'll use my time elsewhere- I haven't enjoyed Mario Kart since the N64.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By trugs26

@El_Zo1212o said:

@trugs26: anything other than Mario Kart on display? If not, I'll use my time elsewhere- I haven't enjoyed Mario Kart since the N64.

There are some other bundles out there. There's New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U bundle, a Nintendo Land bundle, a Skylanders bundle. If you're lucky, there still might be some Zelda WW bundles. But this Mario Kart 8 bundle is particularly good because you get another free game on top of Mario Kart 8 as well as another Wiimote packed in.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

If this wasn't an official Nintendo video I would've said this was one of the most crappiest, fan-made videos i've ever had the misfortune to watch. I wonder if this was done with minimal or no budget.

The new MK info was great though.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i think they said voice chat is only in the lobby while you wait for the match to start....no chat during the actual race...

idk...we'll see.

also...im glad to see wiiU party will finally be available to download.....i didnt want to buy the physical disc. i want party games to be installed....ready to play at the spur of the moment :P

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

TWO Nintendo Directs in one month? Crazy.

Makes me wonder if there will be one more direct between now and before E3

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I'll be getting this on launch; mostly to have a MK party with a bunch of friends. Though I wish the free games were different, I have them all except one...and I don't really want Wii U party :P

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

I hate all the stupid kart options. I liked Mario Kart when it was simple. MKDS was the peak of the series.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

this is great but it would be greater if they made a wii remote 3.0 that's even more intuitive than current models, has a built in rechargeable battery that doesn't drain while it's not in use because current remote models eat batteries like candy. Btw do you think they'll offer this bundle till the end of the year since they'll be advertising MK8 till then?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#18  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I wish we got all the game options that Europe has. The only game I don't have on the list is Wii Party U. For free, I suppose it's worth a try. This Nintendo Direct was surprisingly easy to watch. I like the direction they're going in.

@Celsius765 said:

because current remote models eat batteries like candy.

I got rechargeable batteries(AAs, not the battery pack peripherals) just to address this problem. I got tired of going through so many AAs. I've saved untold fathoms of money.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Nice bundle! I'm still buying the refurbished WiiU for $200, with physical copies of both Mario Kart 8 and the "free" game (likely Wind Waker HD) which will come out to be about the same price as the bundle.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

That was probably the best Direct yet. My hype for MK8 is reaching its peak.

Also, that final new item is too OP. Holy crap.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I wish we got all the game options that Europe has. The only game I don't have on the list is Wii Party U. For free, I suppose it's worth a try. This Nintendo Direct was surprisingly easy to watch. I like the direction they're going in.

@Celsius765 said:

because current remote models eat batteries like candy.

I got rechargeable batteries(AAs, not the battery pack peripherals) just to address this problem. I got tired of going through so many AAs. I've saved untold fathoms of money.

Yay EU! :P ...or just get a decent AA rechargeable..instead of yumcha ones....Sanyo Eneloop AA is great. :)

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#22 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am a bit disappointed on the final two characters that have been revealed. They are a little bit lazy.

Other than that, the game's looking epic.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I love the Club Nintendo promotion for this game. Unlike most people, I'll be getting Wii Party U. I already have Mario and Zelda, and I prefer to get the physical copy of Pikmin 3 eventually. Wii Party U sounds like the perfect game to have on the hard drive.

@Celsius765 said:

this is great but it would be greater if they made a wii remote 3.0 that's even more intuitive than current models, has a built in rechargeable battery that doesn't drain while it's not in use because current remote models eat batteries like candy.

I'd prefer them to make a nunchuck 2.0 that is on the same level as WM+. Maybe the absence of this is the reason why we don't have boxing in Wii Sports Club.