A Rumor about the Wii U's RAM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Source

What do you think of it?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I think its pretty funny. I'm going to make a bold prediction about the graphics, its going to be somewhere between the Atari 2600 and Tron.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts
I hope it shuts up any potential whiny developers. Nintendo knows how to do more with less anyway.
scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

Lol, first of all having between 1-8GB of RAM doesn't tell us anything.

Second, the website uses a Neogaf thread as its source...

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

lol i've been lurking that neogaf thread for a long time. Those gaffers are hilarious. Look at their hype train

Lol, first of all having between 1-8GB of RAM doesn't tell us anything.

Second, the website uses a Neogaf thread as its source...

scottahuch

i'd personally argue that they have come up with much better conclusions than anyone else. if you've read what they have been saying in the thread the hardware they are speculating is very reasonable for a typical Nintendo price range. BUT they are kinda going crazy now :P

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

But that means it could only have 2 GB of RAM! :o

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

1 gb unified RAM sounds good enough for me but it should be fast (XDR type).

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
what's funny is that 1-3 gigs of ram isn't surprising. If it's surprising it's either less than 1 or more than 3
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I'd be more than happy with 2GB System RAM and 512MB VRAM
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
I'd be more than happy with 2GB System RAM and 512MB VRAMbonesawisready5
2ram and 1.5vram would be awesome... 512mb for vram is not enough for 1080p on more demanding games. i also dont wanna see horrible pop in like we see in current consoles
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 painguy1

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]I'd be more than happy with 2GB System RAM and 512MB VRAMrogelio22
2ram and 1.5vram would be awesome... 512mb for vram is not enough for 1080p on more demanding games. i also dont wanna see horrible pop in like we see in current consoles

if the wii's 32mb of edram is true then the wiiu would have enough memory for 1080p. a single 1080p frame is 16mb in size 4bytes=32bits) (1920*1080*4bytes*2double buffer*1aa=16mb) that gives another 16mb for either aa or other passes like depth pass, Screen Space Ambient occlusion, and other things. most of these things will be rendered at a lower resolution of course otherwise they wouldn't fit in the 32mb. xbox had only 10mb for all these things so the WiiU would be well off.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rogelio22

[QUOTE="rogelio22"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]I'd be more than happy with 2GB System RAM and 512MB VRAMpainguy1

if the wii's 32mb of edram is true then the wiiu would have enough memory for 1080p. a single 1080p frame is 16mb in size 4bytes=32bits) (1920*1080*4bytes*2double buffer*1aa=16mb) that gives another 16mb for either aa or other passes like depth pass, Screen Space Ambient occlusion, and other things. most of these things will be rendered at a lower resolution of course otherwise they wouldn't fit in the 32mb. xbox had only 10mb for all these things so the WiiU would be well off.

ps3 has 256 of vram and there is horrible pop in no af or aa at 720p for almost all games and sometimes the resolution drops below 720p. not to mention the performance below 30 fps. at 512mb we would still not be able to get 1080p games with x16 af and at least x2 aa with 30 fps. we need at least a gig of vram to trully feel next gen

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

1Gb ram for graphics is kinda standard nowadays..even the low end/budget videocard now all have 1Gb ram. Would have love to see 2Gb for graphics side. Nothing special imo..actually hope they balance the specs out..not to have too much of one thing but too less of others...then get into situation where even tho they have this but can't fully utilise it due to lack of that.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="rogelio22"] 2ram and 1.5vram would be awesome... 512mb for vram is not enough for 1080p on more demanding games. i also dont wanna see horrible pop in like we see in current consoles rogelio22

ps3 has 256 of vram and there is horrible pop in no af or aa at 720p for almost all games and sometimes the resolution drops below 720p. not to mention the performance below 30 fps. at 512mb we would still not be able to get 1080p games with x16 af and at least x2 aa with 30 fps. we need at least a gig of vram to trully feel next gen

PS3 doesn't have a dedicated framebuffer like the 360 and Wii do so in the PS3's case ur argument would be true, but in the WiiU's case it is not. the space taken up by the rendered image will not affect the space in the main pool of memory. Therefore running at a higher resolution will not cause restraints on the possible vastness of the game world in terms of memory. It might however cause problems because of other reasons, but memory would not be it.

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts

I need to see the games first, E3 gonna be good. love to just see what a HD mario game looks like along with all the rest i grew up with as a kid. still tho its just really that i wanna see and not buy as i since have long moved away from the nes snes days of nintendo gaming.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rogelio22

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

PS3 doesn't have a dedicated framebuffer like the 360 and Wii do so in the PS3's case ur argument would be true, but in the WiiU's case it is not. the space taken up by the rendered image will not affect the space in the main pool of memory. Therefore running at a higher resolution will not cause restraints on the possible vastness of the game world in terms of memory. It might however cause problems because of other reasons, but memory would not be it.

even if we do get 1080p we wont be seeing game like crysis 2 maxed out at 1080p 60 fps dx11 highrez textures with 512 mb!!! we need to all not let nintendo think they should skimp on vram... we need at least 1gb of vram.... and boy Zelda would be sight to behold

demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

1Gb ram for graphics is kinda standard nowadays..even the low end/budget videocard now all have 1Gb ram. Would have love to see 2Gb for graphics side. Nothing special imo..actually hope they balance the specs out..not to have too much of one thing but too less of others...then get into situation where even tho they have this but can't fully utilise it due to lack of that.

superbuuman

I believe you're getting system RAM confused with video RAM which is only utlized by the GPU. 1-2Gb of system RAM should be enough for a dedicated gaming console but it will depend on what other kinds of features they want to include or surprise us with. For VRAM, yeah 1Gb should be good for rending games at resolutions up to 1920x1080. Of course there is a lot more to a GPU than just the quantity of VRAM and if the rumors are true that they're going to use an outdated Radeon R700 GPU then it will quickly become outdated just like the original Wii.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="superbuuman"]

demonic_85

I believe you're getting system RAM confused with video RAM which is only utlized by the GPU. 1-2Gb of system RAM should be enough for a dedicated gaming console but it will depend on what other kinds of features they want to include or surprise us with. For VRAM, yeah 1Gb should be good for rending games at resolutions up to 1920x1080. Of course there is a lot more to a GPU than just the quantity of VRAM and if the rumors are true that they're going to use an outdated Radeon R700 GPU then it will quickly become outdated just like the original Wii.

Oops my bad..yea misread :P

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]ps3 has 256 of vram and there is horrible pop in no af or aa at 720p for almost all games and sometimes the resolution drops below 720p. not to mention the performance below 30 fps. at 512mb we would still not be able to get 1080p games with x16 af and at least x2 aa with 30 fps. we need at least a gig of vram to trully feel next gen

rogelio22

even if we do get 1080p we wont be seeing game like crysis 2 maxed out at 1080p 60 fps dx11 highrez textures with 512 mb!!! we need to all not let nintendo think they should skimp on vram... we need at least 1gb of vram.... and boy Zelda would be sight to behold

well of course, but thats not because of memory consumption from a high rez display. thats all im trying to say.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

For becoming a next gen console. I believe ALL THREE (Nintendo Sony Microsoft) should have minimum of 4GB. There's no excuse for the severe bottlenecks that newer developed console games have. *cough* Battlefield 3 *cough*

Rhys2SkilleD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rhys2SkilleD
Member since 2012 • 149 Posts

I think its pretty funny. I'm going to make a bold prediction about the graphics, its going to be somewhere between the Atari 2600 and Tron. Sepewrath

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="rogelio22"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]I'd be more than happy with 2GB System RAM and 512MB VRAMpainguy1

No.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
1 gb sounds good seeing as the 360 and ps3 have half of that but the wii u will have to power at least two wii u controllers which have slightly higher resolution than the wii so if wii u games are going to have a set standard resolution of 720p + the ability to power 2 wii u controllers which would equal over 720p again so that would fit in well with 1 gb. But i understand that not every game on the wii u has to use the wii u controller+screen so they could push all the ram onto the game/tv?
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

1 gb sounds good seeing as the 360 and ps3 have half of that but the wii u will have to power at least two wii u controllers which have slightly higher resolution than the wii so if wii u games are going to have a set standard resolution of 720p + the ability to power 2 wii u controllers which would equal over 720p again so that would fit in well with 1 gb. But i understand that not every game on the wii u has to use the wii u controller+screen so they could push all the ram onto the game/tv?blacktorn

I'd personally go with the same CPU the 360 has but a powerful DX11 GPU (based on AMD 5000 series) and 2 gigs of RAM (1 gb system + 1 gb V-RAM). But either way I'm pretty sure it will impress anyway.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I think it's just another rumor. Pretty much baseless. Wait until E3 for finalized specs(if they're even revealed).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]1 gb sounds good seeing as the 360 and ps3 have half of that but the wii u will have to power at least two wii u controllers which have slightly higher resolution than the wii so if wii u games are going to have a set standard resolution of 720p + the ability to power 2 wii u controllers which would equal over 720p again so that would fit in well with 1 gb. But i understand that not every game on the wii u has to use the wii u controller+screen so they could push all the ram onto the game/tv?nameless12345

I'd personally go with the same CPU the 360 has but a powerful DX11 GPU (based on AMD 5000 series) and 2 gigs of RAM (1 gb system + 1 gb V-RAM). But either way I'm pretty sure it will impress anyway.

a sound strategy these days. even in modern console development a fair chunk of CPU time is also given over the graphics. skimp on the CPU and buff up the GPU even further is a good idea. on the ram front id go even further in favour of the GPU: 1.5GB of Vram and 512MB of main ram, if were talking a split memory architecture here. a console OS doesnt need 100s of megs of ram (or at least it shouldnt). 512MB would be plenty for the non graphics (and possibly non physics assuming GPGPU support) side of games. i think that point is moot though as i suspect the wii u will have a unified memory architecture similar to the 360. nice and dev friendly.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]1 gb sounds good seeing as the 360 and ps3 have half of that but the wii u will have to power at least two wii u controllers which have slightly higher resolution than the wii so if wii u games are going to have a set standard resolution of 720p + the ability to power 2 wii u controllers which would equal over 720p again so that would fit in well with 1 gb. But i understand that not every game on the wii u has to use the wii u controller+screen so they could push all the ram onto the game/tv?nameless12345

Sounds about right but i don't think non microsoft products are allowed to license and use Directx so weather or no the gpu in the nintendo wii u is dx11 or 10 or 9 it wouldn't matter because they would have to use a propriety graphics API or OpenGL and the like.