Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

Discuss.

*BOOM* Controversial statement. I just saw an ad for Mass Effect 3 quoting one review saying 'Absolutely amazing!' I recall an ad for Uncharted 3 which quoted a review as 'incredible on every level.' IGN called it a masterpiece. Kevin Van Ord practically had to change his pants in his review for Metal Gear Solid 4.

*Nostalgia glasses* I thought Ocarina of time was incredible. I drooled like a baby when i first played Halo. I thought Final Fantasy VII was as good as a videogame could ever get. I invited all of my friends over just to stare in disbelief at Half Life 2.

I don't know if it's the games, or me, but this gen i've had no experiences like that. Nothing even close, to be honest. When i look back at the big hitters; Gears of War, Halo XYZ, Uncharted, MGS4, Mass Effect. They're all great games, but they all kinda suck at the same time. They're all games i could write a whole thread praising and a whole thread tearing to pieces for being so horrible.

Maybe the standard has gotten so good that videogames now seem less impressive and less special. Or maybe standards have slipped and videogames really are of inferior quality.

GUFU's thoughts?

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

I think everyone prefers the first games they played because at the time it was a whole new thing. I still love Spyro the Dragon despite the fact that its aged horribly, I love FFX despite what everyone else says. In fact I dislike most of the games you posted despite how good they were back in the day. Everyone loves the first game/movie/book/etc. and compares everything that comes after to it.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
You're getting old. I was tempted to feel the same way earlier this gen and then I played STALKER. Plus there have been a plethora of incredible games released this gen as long as your window is larger than just big name publishers
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
There are plenty of games this gen that I played that I would consider great, and there are plenty of "all time greats" from the past people like that I would argue weren't that good in the first place(Half Life 2 being my favorite of those punching bags). I'd argue though that last gens best stuff, still spanks this gen. At least mainstream AAA games wise.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's just you.

Games have never been this good. The amount of good games, I mean.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Amazing?

A lot of amazing games have come out. It's just that the standards for you typical game has risen so high and there have been so many great games coming out, no one in particular stands out.

Back in the 90s, when a great game came out, people remebered it because the rest of the crap we were forced to play was nothing compared to that one game Now we get a great game almost every month. People just expect it.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
It's not a sweeping generalization at all, it's just wrong.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Or, perhaps, there has been just so many amazing games that the bar has been raised.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Mass Effect 3 was amazing up until the last 10 minutes of the game. Then it sucked massively.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#10 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I've always felt like the best games to me were ones that came out of nowhere. Games that I didn't know even existed until I was playing them at which I instantly became fond of them. 

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

There have been a lot of amazingly polished games.

There haven't been many amazing games, though.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I too fondly remembered Halo CE... right up until I fired up Halo Anniversary a couple of months back. Turns out it's about one-third spectacular outdoor sections and two-thirds corridor crawling so tedious and unenjoyable that at the end of it all you're kinda shocked Bungie is still in business.

It's pure nostalgia: you were younger and dumber and didn't know any better, and even if you did it was easy to make excuses because of the technical limitations. Nowadays the bar has been raised so high that there's no longer an excuse for a less-than-perfect game, which doesn't gel particularly well with the fact that game development is really f*cking complicated. If you take a step back and look at games as a whole instead of "decent gameplay except for that one level with solid writing aside from Character X and good-but-not-as-good-as-Competitor Z multiplayer" I think it's pretty clear that this has been far and away the strongest generation.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

It's just you.

Games have never been this good. The amount of good games, I mean.

Aljosa23

Yep, up to PS2 gen, my favorite games were mostly all RPGs with a few action games, this gen there is a lot more genre spread, more hybrid and unique genres, huge boom in awesome indie game popularity.

It's certainly nostalgia talking. You will not be able to ever repeat some early childhood gaming experiances, no matter how good a modern game is.    

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

There have been plenty of games that have been amazing to me. Sometimes it's the storytelling, sometimes it's the game play, sometimes it's the graphics, and some rare games put all of those togther.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

I too fondly remembered Halo CE... right up until I fired up Halo Anniversary a couple of months back. Turns out it's about one-third spectacular outdoor sections and two-thirds corridor crawling so tedious and unenjoyable that at the end of it all you're kinda shocked Bungie is still in business.

It's pure nostalgia: you were younger and dumber and didn't know any better, and even if you did it was easy to make excuses because of the technical limitations. Nowadays the bar has been raised so high that there's no longer an excuse for a less-than-perfect game, which doesn't gel particularly well with the fact that game development is really f*cking complicated. If you take a step back and look at games as a whole instead of "decent gameplay except for that one level with solid writing aside from Character X and good-but-not-as-good-as-Competitor Z multiplayer" I think it's pretty clear that this has been far and away the strongest generation.

Slow_Show
I liked Anniversary. The graphics were sexy. Halo always had terri-bad sections though. It wasn't a sum of its parts, definitely.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I liked Anniversary. The graphics were sexy. Halo always had terri-bad sections though. It wasn't a sum of its parts, definitely.Ninja-Hippo

The thing that struck me was just how bland the corridor crawling was. Obviously The Library has always been terrible and the Flood have always been unfun, but even the indoor sections of The Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room dragged, and it seems like you spend almost the entire final third of the game going room to room with the shotgun. If 343 hadn't made such a big deal about how it's a new graphics engine running on top of Halo CE I would've sworn they'd ruined the gun and enemy balance.

Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

I think there have been some amazing games this generation, but it all depends on the user. My perceptions of what constitutes an amazing game differs from the next guy/gal.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jg4xchamp
I'll still go through CE again long before I give the other Halo's another chance(well aware that isn't saying a lot). Plus I don't mind some of the corridor stuff in that game. Library stinks, and Assault on the Control room over stays its welcome. But Silent Cartogropher's stuff, and the stuff on the covenant ship never bothered me. Same thing with The Maw. But that's because I liked the idea of fighting the Covenant and the flood at once. It's the only time the flood is fun to fight. Plus the lack of all the weapons they add later on in the series helps a lot. The Plasma rifle feels useful. Even if the human stuff is out right better I didn't feel like I gave up a lot for going for a plasma rifle, and there was a decent range in quality from weapon to weapon. Reach it's like why deal with anything that isn't a DMR/Needle Rifle? besides the power weapons(in solo play I mean). Plus at least it feels like it picks up the pace here and there. But yeah the further we get from 2001, the less appealing CE gets. Either way the smaller games this gen like Braid, World of Goo, Super Meat Boy, etc more than cover stuff I found amazing to play through.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts
Yeah, CE has not aged fantastically. It does devolve into endless corridor crawl, especially in AoTCR, where about the entire level can be corridor crawl if you don't grab a real tough to get into Banshee.
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Nostaliga plays a large part, but I think a lot of us are just desensitized by the consistent supply of good games this gen. Even the really outstanding games have the potential to come off as average or dull.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I too fondly remembered Halo CE... right up until I fired up Halo Anniversary a couple of months back. Turns out it's about one-third spectacular outdoor sections and two-thirds corridor crawling so tedious and unenjoyable that at the end of it all you're kinda shocked Bungie is still in business.Slow_Show
I've been saying this about Halo since I first played it in like 2003/2004. I enjoyed Halo 2 though. Especially the Arbiter sections.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp
>especially the arbiter sections

Eww
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
especially the arbiter sections Ewwjg4xchamp
Hey, his camo came in handy in some spots. :P
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jg4xchamp
Yeah but he gets all the things you'd ever dislike about a Halo game in all(and I mean every single one) his missions -Backtracking -Corridor fests -The Flood -The stupid brutes(not the halo 3 or reach brutes, those are fine) -The boss fight with tar tar sauce -The stupid flying robots -Covenant weapons They didn't really present many scenarios that took advantage of the fact that Arbiter's missions could be stealthy stuff.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 110million

*mini-rant incoming, abort* 

My problem with this gen is no amazing jRPGs(for the sake of defenition, I will exclude strategy or other non-traditional subgenres) on consoles. Usually my favorite games each gen are jRPGs, yes, you can call me all sorts of names I don't mind. Last gen it was Persona 4 and Shadow Hearts: Covenant that were my favorites, this gen the only ones I enjoyed were like Tales of Vesperia which isn't even that great, Xenoblade, which was about as close to a good PS1/PS2 era jRPG as you could get I guess and The Last Remnant, which is very hard to 'click' into, and technically a PC game and not a console one, because the console one has awful issues, but has the best turn-based battle system in jRPG history I would say. 

Mistwalker is pure trash, I am shocked and amazed at the scores The Last Story got, it is an uphill battle of boredom and frustration to play that game. Lost Oddysey has its moments but it got the score it deserved.

Atlus had 2 digital devil saga games, 2 persona games, nocturne, 2 detective whatshisface games, and probably some other games, as part of SMT universe alone on PS2, this gen just has catherine on consoles.

Handhelds have had a number of good jRPGs, TWEWY is sweet, and Trails in the Sky is probably my favorite RPG this gen, but I just don't like playing on handhelds nearly as much as PC and consoles. 

/rant 

Honestly, at least wRPGs manage to fill that void to some extent or another. There have been quite a number of great ones this gen. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

I agree with you on mistwalker. Lost Odyssey was ok, but just seemed to lack anything that would distinguish itself. Square Enix has been MIA this generation. Sure they've made some games, but nothing with much impact. really a lack of good jrpgs this gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b78379493e12

For JRPGs, I'd point to Valkyria Chronicles as one of my favorite all time games. I don't normally go back and play through RPGs, but I've gone through VC twice, and replayed many missions separately. At least 100 hours. And I've done more than 100 on VC2, which is on the PSP, and that's a lesser game.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 110million

For JRPGs, I'd point to Valkyria Chronicles as one of my favorite all time games. I don't normally go back and play through RPGs, but I've gone through VC twice, and replayed many missions separately. At least 100 hours. And I've done more than 100 on VC2, which is on the PSP, and that's a lesser game.

jimkabrhel

Yeah, the part in brackets about excluding other genres was because there are a few games like VC that are part RPG.

VC is pretty awesome though, for sure.  

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#29 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Sweeping generalization: As we get older, our priorities shift and gaming isn't as magical as it once was. :P
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Sweeping generalization: As we get older, our priorities shift and gaming isn't as magical as it once was. :Pmusicalmac

I strongly back this statement.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Honestly, I think this gen has given me the most experiences like that. Uncharted 2 + 3, both SMG games, Dark Souls, some of the FIFA games this generation, Halo 3 and so on have all been amazing games for me. This generation has given me so much joy, it's definitely my favourite one so far.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 110million

Sweeping generalization: As we get older, our priorities shift and gaming isn't as magical as it once was. :Pmusicalmac

Might not have as much time, but a good game is still a good game.

I love Dark Souls as much as any older games.  

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jg4xchamp

For JRPGs, I'd point to Valkyria Chronicles as one of my favorite all time games.

jimkabrhel

Brofist!

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Some of my all time favorites are from this generation. The amazement I had found in Ocarina of Time as a kid I found in Grand Theft Auto 4 as a young adult (Although I know I'm in the minority using GTA4 as an example. At least in GUFU). 

Overtime your taste matures and becomes keener. It's easy to be wowed as a child because...well you're a child.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

For JRPGs, I'd point to Valkyria Chronicles as one of my favorite all time games.

jg4xchamp

Brofist!

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Foolz3h
You forgot Xenoblade and The Last Story as well.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 110million

You forgot Xenoblade and The Last Story as well.Foolz3h

I specifically mentioned The Last Story, it's s***. Reviewers are smoking some serious stuff.

Xenoblade is sweet though.  

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#38 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Mass Effect 3 was amazing up until the last 10 minutes of the game. Then it sucked massively.

sonicare
This, sadly.
HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Like the other GUFUers said, there are tons of amazing games this gen, standards...raised.

But still there are standouts like MGS4, GT5, GOW3, Gears of War 1, GRAW, R6LA, Dead Rising 1 and 2, Just Cause 1 and 2, COD4, mw3 and Black Ops, Heavy Rain, UMVC3, the whole Ass Creed series and Im sure Im forgetting something in-between.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Foolz3h

If the great games of old suck now in modern eyes, and we only think of the old games being good due to nostalgia, do the effects of hype not apply to this generation?

Next gen when every second game is considered a cIassic I imagine that many "great" games of today won't be seen to stand up at all.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Stevo_the_gamer

This, sadly.

I hate the fact that I have to agree with this. 

I just don't know what happened. It was so good. SO f**king good. And then the ending happened.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

I just don't know what happened. It was so good. SO f**king good. And then the ending happened.

The_Game21x

I think you give it too much credit when you call it an ending lol

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

If the great games of old suck now in modern eyes, and we only think of the old games being good due to nostalgia, do the effects of hype not apply to this generation?

Next gen when every second game is considered a cIassic I imagine that many "great" games of today won't be seen to stand up at all.

Foolz3h
The games that hold up year after year are a rare, and by holding up I mean maintaining excellence. Like a lot of the PS1/64 and 90s PC stuff rarely holds up save stuff like Planescape Torment(and that's if you avoid the combat route) or System Shock 2. Personally last generation's best stuff like Chaos Theory or Resident Evil 4 or Sands of Time or Metroid Prime all hold up nicely.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Foolz3h
[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

jg4xchamp

The games that hold up year after year are a rare, and by holding up I mean maintaining excellence. Like a lot of the PS1/64 and 90s PC stuff rarely holds up save stuff like Planescape Torment(and that's if you avoid the combat route) or System Shock 2. Personally last generation's best stuff like Chaos Theory or Resident Evil 4 or Sands of Time or Metroid Prime all hold up nicely.

That's kinda my point. The majority of highly rated games aren't actually great, and that includes at the time they're released. Then when the hype has passed people aren't so impressed.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure evolving mechanics plays a part too. 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

Foolz3h

That's kinda my point. The majority of highly rated games aren't actually great, and that includes at the time they're released. Then when the hype has passed people aren't so impressed.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure evolving mechanics plays a part too.

I think this gen has its fair share of stuff that will hold up. It's just hidden behind a cloud of b1tchier forum gamers. But agreed there are a lot of "big" games this gen that either end up one and dones or well a flavor of the month.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

So no love for Super Mario Galaxy 1/2?

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#47 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

There have been tons of amazing games this generation (Mass Effect 3 most recently, and I need to play Journey, which is apparently also worthy of praise)

That being said, this is me talking, and I am far more lenient when it comes down to what is considered "amazing" :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Hippo. you forgot about the godly halo wars. Probably the best RTS ever made - possibly the best game ever made.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

You know I can probably find a major fault in just about every game this gen. The only major games from last gen that I couldn't find faults in are...MGS2 and Metroid Prime and I guess the Subsistence version of MGS3 if you consider the mp seperate from sp.

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

The_Game21x

This, sadly.

It still had a lot of bugs. Some quests were unable to be finished, sometimes you would lose all of your credits after loading a save, sometimes you would be reset to level 1 and there are more.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Games are getting way better every year. I went back and played a few games I loved when I was younger and they bored me to tears.