Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I'd rather have an ultrabook (Lenovo u300) or macbook air. Almost double the price (if you spring for an i5) for many, many times the usefulness in a slightly heftier package.

Such a sexy screen though.Guppy507

I used to think like that, and obviously it's a YMMV thing, but I've found my netbook to be pretty useless day-to-day compared to the combination of my desktop (that much more powerful and ergonomic) and smartphone (despite the size and ergonomics issues, that much more convenient for light-duty use). The netbook is still an aboslute road-warrior beast compared to any tablet (full-fat productivity software, 640GB HDD for media, quality keyboard, 7-9+ hours of battery), but it's just heavy enough and just slow enough and just awkward enough to use on-the-go that I find I need a good reason to bother with it, whereas with a tablet you're inclined to always have it with you (and for most people, a bluetooth keyboard+iWork/Google Docs is going to be fine for productivity).

Obviously an i3/i5+SSD-equipped ultrabook/MBA is going to be easier to live with day-to-day than my slower HP dm1, but if you're going to drop $1000+ on computing I think the average person is going to be much happier with an iPad+travel keyboard or Transformer and a nice budget desktop.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#52 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]So why would you be disappointed...?

Aljosa23

Because I'm a techy?

lol at "because I'm a techy." Do you describe yourself at job interviews with nerdy labels?

I like tech and all that just as much as the next man but the iPad 3 or just "iPad" seems fine to me. What exactly were you expecting you? Disappointment comes from one's expectations so I'm generally curious.

No, I would say I am a "tech enthusiast" who is well knowledged in a variety of technical fields relating to the computer and electonics industry.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

No, I would say I am a "tech enthusiast" who is well knowledged in a variety of technical fields relating to the computer and electonics industry.Stevo_the_gamer

Or, more succinctly...*

*Is obvious joke, before someone gets all self-rightous with the "OMG calling someone else a nerd on a gaming forum" defence.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#54 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]I'd rather have an ultrabook (Lenovo u300) or macbook air. Almost double the price (if you spring for an i5) for many, many times the usefulness in a slightly heftier package.

Such a sexy screen though.Slow_Show

I used to think like that, and obviously it's a YMMV thing, but I've found my netbook to be pretty useless day-to-day compared to the combination of my desktop (that much more powerful and ergonomic) and smartphone (despite the size and ergonomics issues, that much more convenient for light-duty use). The netbook is still an aboslute road-warrior beast compared to any tablet (full-fat productivity software, 640GB HDD for media, quality keyboard, 7-9+ hours of battery), but it's just heavy enough and just slow enough and just awkward enough to use on-the-go that I find I need a good reason to bother with it, whereas with a tablet you're inclined to always have it with you (and for most people, a bluetooth keyboard+iWork/Google Docs is going to be fine for productivity).

Obviously an i3/i5+SSD-equipped ultrabook/MBA is going to be easier to live with day-to-day than my slower HP dm1, but if you're going to drop $1000+ on computing I think the average person is going to be much happier with an iPad+travel keyboard or Transformer and a nice budget desktop.

I paid $269 for my netbook and while it definitely has its issues (very occasional freezing, general netbook sluggishness), I'm very, very happy with it for day to day usage during class and keeping me entertained on breaks. That's the one deterrent I have to getting an iPad. My netbook does everything I want an iPad for so I can't really see myself upgrading right now. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Slow_Show

I guess that's a fair point.  I'm coming from the perspective of someone who's needs aren't filled by a tablet and already has a smart phone.

I need full laptop capabilities because of the whole computer science student thing.  I'm sure it's fine for kids that just want to type notes and look at facebook, but I need to run visual studio/eclipse/whatever else for homework assignments.  I'd rather not rely solely on the computer labs at school and my desktop in my dorm room.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#56 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

[QUOTE="110million"]No matter how nice it is though, without being built for a proper controller, most games won't play so well. :o110million

You can currently sync a PS3 controller, a Wii mote, or an OnLive controller with the device.

Let me bold the words you so easily missed. It isn't like touch can be mapped to controller functions. How many games are built to work well with controllers? How many of them are light on touch enough? I will gladly admit ignorance on the subject, but somehow I doubt they've been making games with controllers in mind this whole time.

And really, who's going to use a controller with a tablet? The option to use a controller is irrelevant if it doesn't make sense to do so in reality.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#57 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
Tablet supporters: You can get the same experience with a phone except....you can actually carry it in your pocket. Now if you want something for college laptops are still better and cost less than $500.. But hey it's not my money so if you guys want to waste your money on an overpriced pos go ahead.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Tablet supporters: You can get the same experience with a phone except....you can actually carry it in your pocket. Now if you want something for college laptops are still better and cost less than $500.. But hey it's not my money so if you guys want to waste your money on an overpriced pos go ahead.kage_53

I'd just like to point out that 500 dollars is gonna get you a really crappy laptop.  It'll be a big, heavy 15 inch laptop with horrible battery life.  I've been down that road twice now.  First with Dell, then with Asus. Don't cheap out on something you're gonna use on a daily basis.  I'm not saying go spend 1200 dollars on a macbook either, but you get the point.

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

I bought my sister the dell vostro 3750 for her college classes. It has 17 inch screen and about 6-7 hour battery life. Even came with a webcam. Costs about $600 after taxes. It weighs about 6 pounds.

/shrug.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

I have an acer I got for about $600 after taxes as well, though it's 15.6" i3-350 2.26 ghz, 4 threads(was only one with this CPU under $800 at the time), 4 gb DD3, 500gb HDD, I used it at school, and now I use it at work. I've taken it with me on trips and used it at a hotel a number of times as well. It's about 6 hours with normal use of battery life, that being no games/movies. Webcam included, wide enough to have a numpad. 

I love this laptop, I spent about an hour a day, for a week, comparing a number of sites, stores and prices, this was the only laptop that met all my requirements and was in my price range. It is excellent for older games and coding, 15.6" good enough anyways, another 1-1.5" won't make a huge difference. 

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

You can currently sync a PS3 controller, a Wii mote, or an OnLive controller with the device.

Cherokee_Jack

Let me bold the words you so easily missed. It isn't like touch can be mapped to controller functions. How many games are built to work well with controllers? How many of them are light on touch enough? I will gladly admit ignorance on the subject, but somehow I doubt they've been making games with controllers in mind this whole time.

And really, who's going to use a controller with a tablet? The option to use a controller is irrelevant if it doesn't make sense to do so in reality.

I would. I do, actually.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 110million

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] And really, who's going to use a controller with a tablet? The option to use a controller is irrelevant if it doesn't make sense to do so in reality.jechtshot78

I would. I do, actually.

How many games work well with them? I am ignorant on this subject, as I have stated. :P

Also, like I already said, if people can put an iPad on a stand to watch movies or tv shows, as kind of having it in your lap when you don't need to interact with it is kind of meh, setting it up like that and using a controller on it seems completely legit too.  

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]And really, who's going to use a controller with a tablet? The option to use a controller is irrelevant if it doesn't make sense to do so in reality.110million

I would. I do, actually.

How many games work well with them? I am ignorant on this subject, as I have stated. :P

Also, like I already said, if people can put an iPad on a stand to watch movies or tv shows, as kind of having it in your lap when you don't need to interact with it is kind of meh, setting it up like that and using a controller on it seems completely legit too.

Strictly speaking, I cannot talk about this on gamespot.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 110million

Strictly speaking, I cannot talk about this on gamespot.

jechtshot78

Ah, well I was speaking from actual iPad games.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Playing iPad games with a controller sounds stupid as f*ck. Chances are you'd be at home playing that in which case you could just play a console instead or even a handheld.

If you're playing it on the go like on a bus, you're the ultimate douche.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 jechtshot78

Playing iPad games with a controller sounds stupid as f*ck. Chances are you'd be at home playing that in which case you could just play a console instead or even a handheld.

Aljosa23
Maybe you aren't at "your" home?
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 110million

Aljosa23

Would be fine in lots of situations, I'd consider bus and train to be more like phone territory anyway. The iPad screen is still much higher quality and resolution than like handhelds, and I mean, everyone knows I dislike apple, and love dat Vita, but I don't see anything wrong with going from some web browsing on an iPad to propping it up into a stand and whipping out a controller. 

I've always prefered console gaming to handheld gaming anyways, and this is at least an inbetween closer to consoles. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

jechtshot78

If I was at someone else's house, why would I be playing video games unless it's with them? :|

You're not invited to my house anymore, Jecht!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

110million

Would be fine in lots of situations, I'd consider bus and train to be more like phone territory anyway. The iPad screen is still much higher quality and resolution than like handhelds, and I mean, everyone knows I dislike apple, and love dat Vita, but I don't see anything wrong with going from some web browsing on an iPad to propping it up into a stand and whipping out a controller.

I've always prefered console gaming to handheld gaming anyways, and this is at least an inbetween closer to consoles.

I can think of 0 situations where an iPad with a jerry rigged controller would be anything less than moronic.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Aljosa23

If I was at someone else's house, why would I be playing video games unless it's with them? :|

I often take my iPad when I go to my in-law's house.

I shouldn't have to say any more.

Also, Bathroom gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"] Maybe you aren't at "your" home?jechtshot78

Also, Bathroom gaming.

smh, mad douchey bro.

You would take an iPad AND a controller while you're on the toilet? I imagine that'd be hard as f*ck to play. Playing video games or reading there is dumb in general. I just do my business and gtfo.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]If I was at someone else's house, why would I be playing video games unless it's with them? :|

Aljosa23

Also, Bathroom gaming.

smh, mad douchey bro.

You would take an iPad AND a controller while you're on the toilet? I imagine that'd be hard as f*ck to play. Playing video games or reading there is dumb in general. I just do my business and gtfo.

I have before, yeah. Why not actually be doing something while you are pitching a load? Do you just sit there and stare at the wall?

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 110million

I have before, yeah. Why not actually be doing something while you are pitching a load? Do you just sit there and stare at the wall?

jechtshot78

Yes, think of it as a break away from electronic screens.

I mean it's technically unhealthy to sit on a standard toilet for long periods of times anyways, because it's considered unnatural for the extra gravity on your ass, so might as well hurry it up and not get distracted. :o  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

jechtshot78

Uh, yeah? I ponder and think when I'm on the throne. Do this in the shower, too.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

Aljosa23

Uh, yeah? I ponder and think when I'm on the throne. Do this in the shower, too.

I guess. I do a lot of driving for my job, so I ponder and think then.

In any case, anyone with an iPad should check out Atomix Magizine on newsstand. It is a gaming mag built for the iPad, and it is very good.

And free.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 110million

In any case, anyone with an iPad should check out Atomix Magizine on newsstand. It is a gaming mag built for the iPad, and it is very good.

And free.

jechtshot78

modern gaming journalism that isn't giantbomb :lol:

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#77 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

I have an acer I got for about $600 after taxes as well, though it's 15.6" i3-350 2.26 ghz, 4 threads(was only one with this CPU under $800 at the time), 4 gb DD3, 500gb HDD, I used it at school, and now I use it at work. I've taken it with me on trips and used it at a hotel a number of times as well. It's about 6 hours with normal use of battery life, that being no games/movies. Webcam included, wide enough to have a numpad. 

I love this laptop, I spent about an hour a day, for a week, comparing a number of sites, stores and prices, this was the only laptop that met all my requirements and was in my price range. It is excellent for older games and coding, 15.6" good enough anyways, another 1-1.5" won't make a huge difference. 

110million
I love my laptop, and use it greatly too. I must say, that my iPad is something I find myself using for light browsing and reading. I have some games on it too. I am loving Swords and Sworcery, and plan on buying a few others that have released. If there is one thing my iPad can't replace, it's the fact that my laptop is still my best friend for everyday things like homework, programming, and storing all my media. Apple can say your iPad doesn't need the pc, but to load content not on iTunes or so forth, it needs it. I don't buy much music from iTunes. I have amazon prime which I love, and I have netflix for my media viewing, but my laptop also plays blu rays, has access to my music, which my iPad can't fit, and pictures. If these things had an SD card slot, and was more open, that would not be an issue. It is ok though, because it fulfills my needs of entertaining me.
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

And free.

110million

Check it out first. I think they are a lot more indie than CbsBomb.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

And free.

110million

It's a stretch to call what the guys at GiantBomb do as "Journalism".

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#80 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] No, I would say I am a "tech enthusiast" who is well knowledged in a variety of technical fields relating to the computer and electonics industry.Slow_Show

Or, more succinctly...*

*Is obvious joke, before someone gets all self-rightous with the "OMG calling someone else a nerd on a gaming forum" defence.

Haters gonna hate.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 110million

It's a stretch to call what the guys at GiantBomb do as "Journalism".

Aljosa23

It's a stretch to call any gaming journalism as 'journalism', in comparison, giantbomb is most fair and balanced. ;) Â