yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
So, what do you think of this year's newest model? The new A5X quad core processor, the stupidly beautiful retina display at 2048 x 1536 display, and a MUCH better camera compared to the flimsy iPad 2's. It still doesn't have SD card expansion storage, still ridiculously priced starting at $499, but int he end I have to admit... I want it, and I really think I may get it this year. It's time to upgrade the old iPad 1 and bring on the new iPad. :D
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Not Iphone 5 Don't care
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yoshi_64

Not Iphone 5 Don't carejg4xchamp
I would rather have an iPad over an iPhone frankly. I think iPhones are neat and all, but I prefer myself an Android device. The Galaxy S 2 or the new Google phone by Samsung (forgetting the name) look awesome and I think are far better devices. Android 4.0 is a big improvement I hear for the Android OS, and I just can't beat the freedom I get with my Android device. I also prefer it's interface more, better multi-tasking options, and far more user control. I know people complain about the battery life, background running apps, but I get about 8-10 hours on my phone.That's about the same for an iPhone, and no smart phone has good battery life these days. I remember the days I had a Blackberry, that thing would last me at least 2 days without charge. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I have an iPad 1st gen right now, and I would love to have that retina display. Otherwise, my iPad is completely function and I don't feel the need to upgrade. I might convince the wife to get one though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Not Iphone 5 Don't careyoshi_64

I would rather have an iPad over an iPhone frankly.

That's just disgusting.

SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 SevenzFlow
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

-Only a big deal for people who don't have one.

-where is the iphone 5(I need a new phone)

-waiting next year for the ipad 4 :P

-rather have something that I will actually use like a sandwich  

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#7 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Like I said in SW, Apple needs to make a 7" tablet starting at $300. I think that would be a perfect replacement for my iPod Touch.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Got an Iphone, really don't care. Well at least until the Ipads that they give the execs at my job trickle down to IT.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yoshi_64

[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Not Iphone 5 Don't carejg4xchamp

That's just disgusting.

Why? :( The iPhone is irrelevant frankly. It's a decent phone, and I won't put it down, because it has good tech, but overall I don't need it when my Android does more and better and does what I need it to do. The new iPad is going to be a great gaming device (yeah, I game on it, you know... it's quite fun if you look for the right games), web browser/media function device, and overall it will be great for some upcoming travels I have planned, and just in general a great device to own. FYI I just purchased myself an iPad 3 moments before this post. :D I can't wait for it to come!
SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SevenzFlow
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Not Iphone 5 Don't careyoshi_64

That's just disgusting.

Why? :( The iPhone is irrelevant frankly. It's a decent phone, and I won't put it down, because it has good tech, but overall I don't need it when my Android does more and better and does what I need it to do. The new iPad is going to be a great gaming device (yeah, I game on it, you know... it's quite fun if you look for the right games), web browser/media function device, and overall it will be great for some upcoming travels I have planned, and just in general a great device to own. FYI I just purchased myself an iPad 3 moments before this post. :D I can't wait for it to come!

Did you buy a ipad 2? 

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

My traveling plans typically don't involve doing the same **** I do back at home. :o

I would much rather use that $500 towards the new computer I'm building, and it won't have terrible games on it. :o  

SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SevenzFlow

My traveling plans typically don't involve doing the same **** I do back at home. :o

I would much rather use that $500 towards the new computer I'm building, and it won't have terrible games on it. :o  

110million

500 dollars would buy me a good laptop that out performs the ipad for college.

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yoshi_64

I get the hate people give iPads and iProducts. I admit, I'm the same, and frankly I admit that I too have a laptop, that costed a little more than my iPad 3 did just now, but will be able to do more. I admit I can do just about the same things I'll probably do constantly on my phone even, but to me it's not really all about that. I admit that I am buying the iPad purely for a luxury item, first, over anything else. That's why I have a laptop, a gaming console, etc.

I don't need any of them, but I wanted them. So for me, buying the iPad 3 isn't about what my other devices I have and own already can do, or possibly do better, but for me it's just about having something I've wanted and having something I will enjoy. Like I said, I have the first iPad, but not having a camera sucks. Not being able to Facetime with friends or Skype sucks. I also hate that most apps are now being built with iPad 2 in mind, that the system really was just kind of outdated when it came out. Sure, I know, the iPad 3 will likely be the abckseat child to the iPad 4, but I at least think that this model will have longer legs too. the iPad didn't become unusable when iPad 2 came out, it just had features missing from the beginning. (Processor, screen display, cameras, etc.) 

There are games on the iOS/Smartphones that are fun to play, if you ever give them a try. I can have fun with those games, but I also can use it for web browsing on the go, when my laptop only gets about 4-6 hours of battery life. I can watch movies on that brilliant Retina Display (let's face it, it's beautiful, but if you disagree... I don't know what to say.) I can have my music on the cloud, and photos, and so forth. I can do these on other devices too, but in the end, I just want to have a good tablet for the purposes a tablet would be good for. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I'm happy with my iPad 2 honestly. Bought the thing less then a year ago, and the updates just don't seem worth it. Don't care about 4G data option (never saw the point for a tablet) That A5X chip is gonna get a real workout with such demanding titles as ChuChu Rocket and Sonic CD Got my iPhone with a better camera. Retina display is cool, but not $600 cool ( I need 32GB at min.)
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I've got one preordered. I've wanted a tablet to replace my aging laptop for awhile now.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I expected a bigger upgrade from the iPad 2 but at least it has made the iPad 2 much more affordable for me.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yoshi_64
I expected a bigger upgrade from the iPad 2 but at least it has made the iPad 2 much more affordable for me.fabz_95
Just curious, but what more do you expect to come from the tablet? I think we can kiss any expansive storage slot Goodbye, because I don't think Apple will ever allow that, but other than that, I can't imagine what else to expect from a tablet. I guess you could have Bluetooth communications, NFC, or something else. I don't know if there's even BT in the iPad, but aside from using BT to connect to other devices, what more should it do?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#18 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Looks like a truly awesome piece of hardware. Sticking with the o'l first gen for a while longer yet.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

It's hard to discount dat retina display, but other than that the iPad 3 is fairly disappointing: no major iOS updates, no Siri (which is downright bizarre -- the iPad 3 has a microphone for dictation, so there's no technical reason not to include it), the A5X is more about keeping pace with the res increase than pushing graphical fidelity, they improved the useless rear camera but left the comical VGA-res front camera untouched, and it's actually thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 (that sound you here is Steve Job's grave spinning).

I was semi-seriously considering one (as much as tablets are a little too big smartphone/less-functional netbook for my tastes, sometimes you just want a big smartphone/less-functional netbook), but now it looks like I'll hold out for the iPad 4 or a good deal on a Transformer Prime/Infinity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="Slow_Show] no Siri (which is downright bizarre

Trust me (iPhone 4S owner) you don't want Siri on the iPad. not untill she's gone through several revisions and isn't completly dependant on a network connection. She needs a lot of work... Me: Call McDonalds Siri: Sorry Alex, I can't looks for directions in canada Or how about... Show me the contact info for Jimmy Mcfake Siri: Calling Karen...
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yoshi_64

Looks like a truly awesome piece of hardware. Sticking with the o'l first gen for a while longer yet.musicalmac

You aren't getting it? :o I'm a bit shocked, but if you can still rock the first gen one, then more power to ya. I feel the 3rd one is the right time to upgrade. I know an iPad 4 will be out next year, and so on, but I have to get my next one at some point. :P 

It's hard to discount dat retina display, but other than that the iPad 3 is fairly disappointing: no major iOS updates, no Siri (which is downright bizarre -- the iPad 3 has a microphone for dictation, so there's no technical reason not to include it), the A5X is more about keeping pace with the res increase than pushing graphical fidelity, they improved the useless rear camera but left the comical VGA-res front camera untouched, and it's actually thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 (that sound you here is Steve Job's grave spinning).

I was semi-seriously considering one (as much as tablets are a little too big smartphone/less-functional netbook for my tastes, sometimes you just want a big smartphone/less-functional netbook), but now it looks like I'll hold out for the iPad 4 or a good deal on a Transformer Prime/Infinity.

Slow_Show
Hmm, you know I was curious why Siri was missing, and the iPad 3 being bigger than the iPad 2 is fine by me. I realy don't think it needs to be any thinner, and I thought the iPad 2 was too thin. I think the iPad 1 is the perfect thickness and shape actually. I liked it better.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I'd rather have an ultrabook (Lenovo u300) or macbook air.  Almost double the price (if you spring for an i5) for many, many times the usefulness in a slightly heftier package.

Such a sexy screen though.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I'll stick with my 2nd gen for a few more years.
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#24 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
[QUOTE="fabz_95"]I expected a bigger upgrade from the iPad 2 but at least it has made the iPad 2 much more affordable for me.yoshi_64
Just curious, but what more do you expect to come from the tablet? I think we can kiss any expansive storage slot Goodbye, because I don't think Apple will ever allow that, but other than that, I can't imagine what else to expect from a tablet. I guess you could have Bluetooth communications, NFC, or something else. I don't know if there's even BT in the iPad, but aside from using BT to connect to other devices, what more should it do?

Well that's the thing, I expected the unexpected. I thought Apple would come out with something special and sure it's a nice little upgrade but I just thought apple would have something up their sleeves. Display, processor and camera upgrades are expected (only because of countless rumours) so I guess that's why I'm disappointed. It'll be the best tablet out there regardless.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#25 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I see no major upgrades to the iPad 3 that makes it even sightly worth upgrading too. Quite disappointing, but not surprising.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I see no major upgrades to the iPad 3 that makes it even sightly worth upgrading too. Quite disappointing, but not surprising.Stevo_the_gamer
It's not even the iPad 3. It's merely 'the new iPad'. They've insisted it is not a new generation, just an upgrade of the existing one (though to me all of their new products are just upgrades of existing models, but meh...). iPad 3 is yet to come. This is more an upgrade to the iPad 2 to try and prolong its lifespan, increase sales and discount the existing version.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I see no major upgrades to the iPad 3 that makes it even sightly worth upgrading too. Quite disappointing, but not surprising.Stevo_the_gamer
Why would you upgrade after a year anyway?

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 110million

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I see no major upgrades to the iPad 3 that makes it even sightly worth upgrading too. Quite disappointing, but not surprising.Aljosa23

Indoctrinated by Apple. :shock:

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I see no major upgrades to the iPad 3 that makes it even sightly worth upgrading too. Quite disappointing, but not surprising.Aljosa23

I wouldn't.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 musicalmac  Moderator
iPad 3 is yet to come. This is more an upgrade to the iPad 2 to try and prolong its lifespan, increase sales and discount the existing version. Ninja-Hippo
I'm not so sure. If I had to place a bet, I'd say the next iPhone will simply be called that, iPhone. Not iPhone 5. The iPad is officially being given "computer" status is Apple's branding. You don't see them putting numbers behind the iMac or their mobile computers. MacBook Air 4. iMac 23. It's just going to be iPad from now on.

The idea that it's merely an updated iPad 2 is also a stretch. That display tech is largely proprietary and exclusive to Apple (as they invested teh moniez in it), as is the battery tech. The actual battery is enormous, which is necessary to power that screen (hence the quad core graphics processor). From a purly hardware perspective, it's an impressive bit of cutting-edge tech. Crazy dense screen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I see no major upgrades to the iPad 3 that makes it even sightly worth upgrading too. Quite disappointing, but not surprising.Stevo_the_gamer

I wouldn't.

So why would you be disappointed...?

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 yoshi_64

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] iPad 3 is yet to come. This is more an upgrade to the iPad 2 to try and prolong its lifespan, increase sales and discount the existing version. musicalmac
I'm not so sure. If I had to place a bet, I'd say the next iPhone will simply be called that, iPhone. Not iPhone 5. The iPad is officially being given "computer" status is Apple's branding. You don't see them putting numbers behind the iMac or their mobile computers. MacBook Air 4. iMac 23. It's just going to be iPad from now on.

The idea that it's merely an updated iPad 2 is also a stretch. That display tech is largely proprietary and exclusive to Apple (as they invested teh moniez in it), as is the battery tech. The actual battery is enormous, which is necessary to power that screen (hence the quad core graphics processor). From a purly hardware perspective, it's an impressive bit of cutting-edge tech. Crazy dense screen.

That's how I look at it. I mean in all honesty, what more do you expect an iPad to do? That screen looks like it will be amazing, and I can't wait to see it this friday. The tablet will be performing just as nice as before, even though they beefed up the system. The processor and screen are the big draws, and the new camera on the back is just another layer of icing, but all together is what makes the system great. The app store, the functionality and ease of use, the support, and so forth. I can't honestly expect my iPad to do anything more hardware wise, it's all about the software. We should know that as gamers already, but I guess some don't see it. You can have the greatest tech, but if no software can be used to make it work to the needs of the people, what's the point?

I am so stoked and ready to have my new iPad and I can't wait. :D Friday is soooo close... 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Looks like I'll be getting and iPad 3 through work. Sweet!

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 yoshi_64
My iPad comes in 2 more days!! :D Friday can't come any sooner... what do I do until then...? :(
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 110million

My iPad comes in 2 more days!! :D Friday can't come any sooner... what do I do until then...? :( yoshi_64

Play real games until you get sick of them so when you get the iPad, you can play awful ones. ;) 

But honestly, I wish I could get excited for touch gaming, but eh. I know it isn't purely what they are used for, so it's fine. I'm so used to a controller that the 'accuracy' of touch often bothers me. I love like puzzle games and stuff on phones that you can just do with one thumb and even if your not that accurate, retrying is quick and painless, but everything else I have not been too fond of.  

Is there any kind of controller support on it?  

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 musicalmac  Moderator

110million
Yup. There are a few other controller options, too, though this is the most traditional. The whole platform is relatively new, so as time goes by, I imagine we may see more things like this.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yoshi_64

[QUOTE="yoshi_64"]My iPad comes in 2 more days!! :D Friday can't come any sooner... what do I do until then...? :( 110million

Play real games until you get sick of them so when you get the iPad, you can play awful ones. ;) 

But honestly, I wish I could get excited for touch gaming, but eh. I know it isn't purely what they are used for, so it's fine. I'm so used to a controller that the 'accuracy' of touch often bothers me. I love like puzzle games and stuff on phones that you can just do with one thumb and even if your not that accurate, retrying is quick and painless, but everything else I have not been too fond of.  

Well as you said, it's not going to be primarily for gaming. Yes, I have bought a few games on it, and the ones I have bought, I do enjoy. Mirror's Edge (really great on it's own, because it's 2D instead of 3D, so the controls are no issue and they work wonderfully and are very relaxing in it's own way too.), Infinity Blade (great combat controls and great looking game, I enjoyed it, despite it's repetitive nature, and a few others.

As for gaming needs, I'm sure I'll buy some nice ones when I have the money. :P For me, I just want it around, when I go traveling, or even am at home, and want to just browse the web, or do some other things. It has its uses, and a tablet doesn't get better than the iPad really. It has its shortcomings, but overall there's still no better one than the iPad with all the support and apps it has. 

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 110million
I still find web browsing quite a bit slower with touch stuff, my fingers are a lot bigger than the tip of a mouse pointer, so used to hitting CTRL+F for searching and stuff. :P

I always got my PC turned on at home (during the day), so it doubles for gaming and general stuff, faster than turning on another devide. I can understand its use for away from home though.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 yoshi_64

I still find web browsing quite a bit slower with touch stuff, my fingers are a lot bigger than the tip of a mouse pointer, so used to hitting CTRL+F for searching and stuff. :P

I always got my PC turned on at home (during the day), so it doubles for gaming and general stuff, faster than turning on another devide. I can understand its use for away from home though.110million
True, my laptop is almost always on, and searching through FAQs without a search function is hard (not sure if Safari has it, but my Android phone does, so maybe it does too I think, which would be useful for playing a game, and having a FAQ right there, since it's lighter than my laptop. :P )

When it comes to gaming and other multi-tasking needs, I would no doubt go to my laptop or desktop. The iPad can never replace my gaming rig, nor my laptop, because I just don't think I could code as efficiently on a touchscreen device x_x (if I could code at all, which is another problem entirely... there is no Visual Studios or Eclipse lol) 

I won't lie and say, it's primarily for luxury reasons and for those times I travel away from home. At least Wi-Fis are common, but I know I can load it up with my media and be fine. At 16 GBs, I can have a couple of movies and music albums, plus Wi-Fi lets me use the cloud and Netflix, so I'll be fine really I believe. I just want it to play around with more often, and because I really think tablets are useful in their own ways. (mainly entertainment-on-the-go needs as mentioned above.) 

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 yoshi_64
Man, I hate waiting for UPS sometimes... It makes no sense to me, how they plan their routes... but the UPS station where my iPad 3 is at, isn't even more than maybe 20 minutes away, 10 if I took the freeway. My iPad left the UPS station around 7 in the morning it says, but it has yet to arrive. :( Where is the UPS man's route, I must find him! I want my iPad 3... D: It's been over 2 and a half hours... :cry:
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Why would you upgrade after a year anyway?

Aljosa23

I wouldn't.

Because I'm a techy?
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yoshi_64

So, I've been playing with my new iPad for a few hours now, since I've been home from work. I just want to say... it looks beautiful.  I really am starting to love it. The OS is still the best, on any tablet, because it's so smooth, easy to use, and quick. I've got the first iPad (well it's technically my brother's) but this just blows it away. It's got all the bells and whistles where it counts, performance.

Web pages load and just "pop" on the screen. That retina display is the best thing I've ever seen. I did a bit of Facetime with my cousin, which was fun and neat to do. (Always wanted to do this from the start with my first iPad) The gesture controls for swiping across tabs, notifications (so glad they're FINALLY here, coming from Android, it sucked not having this for like the longest time), and just the little things feels good. I know it sounds like I'm in the honeymoon phase, and I probably am, but I just love this thing. 

It's fun, the iCloud has all my purchased music which I can access, along with my shows and movies, and I can just about have all my entertainment needs on this device while on the go. I love even how the system feels, and I've yet to even play any games on it lol. So, those saying it "sucks" for games, I know this won't be the reason I "own" one. It will be a nice plus though, because there are some great games I have wanted to finish, and want to own. (Some games are even being upgraded for that Retina display 8) )

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 110million
No matter how nice it is though, without being built for a proper controller, most games won't play so well. :o
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

No matter how nice it is though, without being built for a proper controller, most games won't play so well. :o110million

You can currently sync a PS3 controller, a Wii mote, or an OnLive controller with the device.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 110million

[QUOTE="110million"]No matter how nice it is though, without being built for a proper controller, most games won't play so well. :ojechtshot78

You can currently sync a PS3 controller, a Wii mote, or an OnLive controller with the device.

Let me bold the words you so easily missed. It isn't like touch can be mapped to controller functions. How many games are built to work well with controllers? How many of them are light on touch enough? I will gladly admit ignorance on the subject, but somehow I doubt they've been making games with controllers in mind this whole time.   

yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yoshi_64
[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]

[QUOTE="110million"]No matter how nice it is though, without being built for a proper controller, most games won't play so well. :o110million

Let me bold the words you so easily missed. It isn't like touch can be mapped to controller functions. How many games are built to work well with controllers? How many of them are light on touch enough? I will gladly admit ignorance on the subject, but somehow I doubt they've been making games with controllers in mind this whole time.   

It's all about the game design. Of the games I have and play, Mirror's Edge, Inifnity Blade, Rage, and Dead Space being those lengthy "real games" if you want, they control just fine, and have no issues. You can even read reviews, but the games that use touch screen interfaces do it smartly and do it well. Mirror's Edge may not be the first person parkour game the console version one is, but I love this game even more because it's unique and it's own game. The game plays responsively, the touch controls are easy to grasp, and movement is very simple and all about timing and finding the quickest routes, which is what it should be.

Infinity Blade, I will admit can be repetitive, but the game works great. There's no need to worry about buttons for exploring, just worry about the combat, which works smooth, quick, and so well. I heard the other sequel opens up more a bit and changes things up, which should be nice. I'll have to try it.

Dead Space, to me, works just fine. Yes, it has touch screen buttons for doing actions, but the game keeps it down to it's simplest form, for interacting, and attacking. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the real smart design choices is really how the levels are designed and gameplay. It's slower moving, but action can be ramped up at some points, yet I still have no issue chopping off limbs and killing enemies in the heat of battle. It is really all about the design and gameplay choices devs make. Some try to just imitate a console on the go experience, others try something different, and make a game for the system. 

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 110million

I'm just saying, a 'proper' gaming experiance built for a controller may work well considering the power and the screen of the iPad, no matter how good a touch screen game is, it never feels quite right for me. Stuff that can be done with one thumb like puzzle games or I guess Infinite Blade, are fine, but they are more about quirks than full games. Anything involving 2 thumbs and analog + buttons sort of imitation is just awful, I can't stand it in the slightest. 

I can appreciate touch gaming for what it is, but I just can't make the compromise, it doesn't feel right to me, outside of simple, single thumb, puzzle or shmup sort of games. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I wouldn't.Stevo_the_gamer

Because I'm a techy?

lol at "because I'm a techy." Do you describe yourself at job interviews with nerdy labels?

I like tech and all that just as much as the next man but the iPad 3 or just "iPad" seems fine to me. What exactly were you expecting you? Disappointment comes from one's expectations so I'm generally curious.

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
While it's not the upgrade I was hoping for (basically just the iPad 2 HD rather than a full iPad 3) it still seems like a pretty nice piece of hardware and I may jump on the iPad bandwagon this time around. We'll see.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 110million

Honestly I don't see a problem with them including like an official, slick, wireless controller, doesn't have to be amazing, can make it a basic snes controller shape but flatter and use sliders like the 3DS instead of full analogs to keep it small. Can have it come with a small clip or something to keep it attached to the back or something when not in use if they don't want you to carry around an extra something. I know it defeats the purpose, but a lot of people put iPads on docks or stands or what not on their desks to watch stuff, why not for gaming too? I mean you could have the best of both worlds, can still make touch games you can play in your lap, but also make other sorts of games you can play with the controller.

Â